Photo

Fixes for the BiG fixpack

• Please log in to reply
1025 replies to this topic

#941 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'd rather like to know where you got this from, so I can enter the download location... a few people who hog that mod wouldn't be the best solution from my point of view. ;)

I don't really remember that, sorry :( It might be The Ring of Wonder, but it is just a guess :unsure:

I definitely agree with you, not the best solution...

#942 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I may have a little insight into the problems with the new bp and scs, regarding the DS package. Just today I got the BP and BP Series to install nicely side by side, and in the process I got a lot of errors similar to what is reported. What I did was add a set of 2 marker files, one for DS proper and one for the BP additions. They are named:

~override/ds_setup.mrk~

~override/bpstats.mrk~

In either mod, I set up detection for each component marker. If found, I merely skipped that part. The only changes I made to any DS.tph file was to handle the duplications. No changes to spells in cddetect.2da, etc etc. All that was done from a bpdetect.2da et al.

If DS was done right in SCS(1 or 2), it's clean vanilla package as far as installation goes in what matters, and all the SCS specialties were added from side files and code functions. This means that if BP adds it first, or DS adds it first, the other doesn't need it (and will actually break). So, if BP core is going before SCS as I've heard is 'necessary', then SCS will have to look for override/ds_setup.mrk and skip the DS detectable_spells_setup function. After all, it's not needed. Additionally, BP and BP Series (the new one for all games) both add and use the SCS weapon enchantment stat function--so SCS doesn't need to add that either.

Now, if for some reason it's decided that SCS is going before BP, SCS would need to add a marker (preferably same name as BP) so BP knew not to install. But I think this is the root of the problem, and where the compatability solution lies.

P.S: I'll release these newest versions of both mods w/in a couple days, need to run some more tests...I also updated Cloud Detection/response in both mods with a more modern working rendition.

P.PS: There's also a version of the level one innates fixer in BP, which may interfere with the one you're using. I won't be taking mine out as I wrote this for it, but you may wish to disable it during your mega installs. Wrong place in mega-install, probably missing plenty of other-mod exceptions to boot.

Edited by horred the plague, 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#943 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

I may have a little insight into the problems with the new bp and scs, regarding the DS package. Just today I got the BP and BP Series to install nicely side by side, and in the process I got a lot of errors similar to what is reported. What I did was add a set of 2 marker files, one for DS proper and one for the BP additions. They are named:

~override/ds_setup.mrk~
~override/bpstats.mrk~

In either mod, I set up detection for each component marker. If found, I merely skipped that part. The only changes I made to any DS.tph file was to handle the duplications. No changes to spells in cddetect.2da, etc etc. All that was done from a bpdetect.2da et al.
Erhm, you need to ask from DavidW, Mike1072... but the DS is handled in it's own way in SCS'es, so it already has it's marker files in one form or another and has had them for a long time... nearly ever since the SCS II came to be as the two mods needed to be compatible with each others in BGT... and then the Rogue Rebalance, Spell Revision etc mod came along, all using a compatible DS configuration.

I think the primary SCS mod component(1000) is actually the one the DS update config is all about, and if it's install, it is the DS marker file for the mod. But that's a second hand info, you shouldn't trust it without asking DavidW. Or Mike1072 or Wisp confirming it or looking the code yourself.

Edited by The Imp, 23 May 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#944 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I found his marker file name (dw#AIsetup.mrk). However, it depends on 'how' he did things 'different from standard' I did it by splitting mine into 2 parts. 100% standard DS package, and 100% my additions---2 distinct components, both with markers.

If he did that, fine. (It doesn't look like it, that looks like a "one marker covers all" marker.) If not, it might be more difficult to make compatible. Not just with BP, but any other mod using the DS system that didn't bow down to his install and clone his work. And that would not be something I fix from my mod, nor that I should be expected to. BP is most definitely not some "foster child" mod of SCS and never will be (check the chronology if in doubt).

The best solution would have been to have one standard marker in all mods that install DS, but that's the one marker I didn't see being made in the DS code amongst several. Had there been one I saw, I'd have used it instead (and if there is one already, I'll switch and so should others that haven't). I'll ask Ardanis about it, next time I bump into him, just to play safe.

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/ds_setup.mrk~ AND NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#AIsetup.mrk~ BEGIN

{ Install the standard DS package }

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#AIsetup.mrk~ BEGIN
    LAF detectable_weapon_enchantment END    // The weapon enchantment stat that originated in SCS/2
  END

These are now in the BP code, both mods. Best I can do, from what I can read. If there's other mods using markers with yet different names, they'll have to be accounted for as well. And my marker, in their checklists. I'll update both mods this weekend. I believe BP and BP series have done their fair part in this effort--as have I.

#945 -_Piqueri_-

-_Piqueri_-

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

In my game the sword fireflower of Yasraena do damage to her while equiped. Is this intended? The same with the BWFixpack...

Do you have BG2-Fixpack v10 installed ?

I had the same problem with the fireflower. Improved Hindo's Doom from Baldurdash-Weidu 1.68 exhibits the same behavior (and any other sword that uses flametongue's effs).

In the v9.20 version of BG2-Fixpack, some items were changed so that instead of using EFFs in the "equipped effects" area, they have them in the "extended effect" area. I think this change was done so that effects aren't also applied to the offhand sword (i may be wrong though). Then the corresponding effects were also changed to do direct damage instead of damage vs X creature.

Fireflower uses the effects ft{1,2,3}dam,trolld1 from the sword Flame Tongue and Improved Hindo's Doom uses ft3dam. So after this change in the effects, everyone who equips these swords take damage.

Yes, I have the fixpack v10. But I dont know If that fixed the problem or was I modifying the sword with DLTCEP...

Also I have other problem with Igi's item mod: The items are not identified in the shops and are unremovable when in the inventary.

#946 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

(MODERATOR's NOTE -- Cleaned up 4 duplicates of above post)

EDIT: Make that 5, inc one after this post--bot suspected

ANOTHER EDIT: Make that 6, hours later--more bottish-looking by the hour

Edited by horred the plague, 24 May 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#947 archlich

archlich
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

I found his marker file name (dw#AIsetup.mrk). However, it depends on 'how' he did things 'different from standard' I did it by splitting mine into 2 parts. 100% standard DS package, and 100% my additions---2 distinct components, both with markers.

If he did that, fine. (It doesn't look like it, that looks like a "one marker covers all" marker.) If not, it might be more difficult to make compatible. Not just with BP, but any other mod using the DS system that didn't bow down to his install and clone his work. And that would not be something I fix from my mod, nor that I should be expected to. BP is most definitely not some "foster child" mod of SCS and never will be (check the chronology if in doubt).

The best solution would have been to have one standard marker in all mods that install DS, but that's the one marker I didn't see being made in the DS code amongst several. Had there been one I saw, I'd have used it instead (and if there is one already, I'll switch and so should others that haven't). I'll ask Ardanis about it, next time I bump into him, just to play safe.

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/ds_setup.mrk~ AND NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#AIsetup.mrk~ BEGIN

{ Install the standard DS package }

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~override/dw#AIsetup.mrk~ BEGIN
    LAF detectable_weapon_enchantment END    // The weapon enchantment stat that originated in SCS/2
  END

These are now in the BP code, both mods. Best I can do, from what I can read. If there's other mods using markers with yet different names, they'll have to be accounted for as well. And my marker, in their checklists. I'll update both mods this weekend. I believe BP and BP series have done their fair part in this effort--as have I.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

In this way, will be BP compatible with SCS if we install BP core component BEFORE SCS, right? Or also SCS coding needs some changes?

Moreover, if we install together (for instance) improved mages from BP and SCS, will the two AI improvements add to each other (creating super strong mages), or the last installed will overwrite the previous one, or nothing will work?

#948 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thank you very much for your efforts!

In this way, will be BP compatible with SCS if we install BP core component BEFORE SCS, right? Or also SCS coding needs some changes?

Moreover, if we install together (for instance) improved mages from BP and SCS, will the two AI improvements add to each other (creating super strong mages), or the last installed will overwrite the previous one, or nothing will work?

New version of BP and BP Series released, with these changes included.

SCS needs updates to work after BP's new core. I cannot account for its installation procedures in BP--but perhaps a future BWP fixpack can? I left it quite easy for SCS to detect BP's presence, but SCS will have to be altered to skip DS and Weapon Enchantment Stat. The tp2 code for this is in BP/BPSeries, a little reverse-engineering in tp2 &/or tph file should "make it happen cap'n".

For now, only the SCS CORE needs to go before BP/BP Series CORE. It's the DS system causing the crashes, and I detect SCS' install in BP component and act accordingly (I skip DS and Weapon Enchantments. This opens up a lot of install choice roads actually. e.g, you could go SCS2 (core) --> BP (core + Ascension) --> SCS2 (Ascension) with whatever-needs-to-be, in-between.

As for cross-mod content, not much has changed there. Use both version of same components (e.g. Mages) at your own risk. Generic creatures = all the leftovers from old BP, I didn't squeeze into components. Last mod installed should be boss. SCS will overwrite BP scripts from the inside if installed after. BP will fill the slots with its own scripts, replacing SCS scripts from the outside. I'm sure there's at least some measure of overlap, i.e. files one mod changes and the other does not. Experiment and decide what is best for you, is my best advice.

#949 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

During BWS installation (v11.4) some mods wasn't patched (for example, xpmod DEFJAM, aurora patch). During installation I patched them manually because of errors (aurorapatch was missed, xpmod wasn't patched, may be other errors during install were related to this). Any ideas about this problem?

I've found the following error in the log:

TobEx already up-to-date.
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 3897 files ...
ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 152 of 114-byte file CDDETECT.SPL
ERROR: [CDDETECT.SPL] -> [override/CDDETECT.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("CDDETECT.SPL: read out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 2599 files for [SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 1000.
Uninstalled    2599 files for [SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 1000.
ERROR: Failure("CDDETECT.SPL: read out of bounds")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG to davidw, Gibberlings3 forums
Automatically Skipping [Initialise mod (all other components require this)] because of error.
Using Language [English]

Horred, is that what you're talking about DS?

If yes, the error has nothing to do with DS, and is caused by something that has stripped CDDETECT.SPL (or SPWI103.SPL, which it was cloned from) of its ability header.

PS Checked the chat message. Could you elaborate which steps are requried to produce the crash?

Edited by GeN1e, 24 May 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Retired from modding.

#950 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Horred, is that what you're talking about DS?

If yes, the error has nothing to do with DS, and is caused by something that has stripped CDDETECT.SPL (or SPWI103.SPL, which it was cloned from) of its ability header.

PS Checked the chat message. Could you elaborate which steps are requried to produce the crash?

This was exactly the error that was reported in my forums, a couple of times. So, what you're saying it that it really has nothing to do with DS (or thus BP, by default)?

I'm thinking not so. I just got that same error when installing SCS2 core after BP. No other mods installed, just BP/BPSeries/SCS2. That implies that DS is responsible in some way or other.

The good news is, I did not get the other error reported earlier in chat. My guess on that is, it was mid-install and I was still sorting out my WRITE code for the Cloud Detection--had something wrong on my end that broke SCS even worse. But sorted now, except for cddetect.spl

#951 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

This was exactly the error that was reported in my forums, a couple of times. So, what you're saying it that it really has nothing to do with DS (or thus BP, by default)?

It happens after DS in the "Initialise" component, immediately after it it installs ToBEx - "TobEx already up-to-date."

OUTER_SPRINT ~TOBEX_MOD_DIRECTORY~ ~scsii~
    LOAD_TRA ~scsii/tobex_redist/tobex.tra~
    INCLUDE ~scsii/tobex_redist/tobex.tpa~

// Mirror Image fix

ACTION_IF (!FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~dw#mifix.mrk~ AND !(MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~setup-spell_rev~ 20) AND ENGINE_IS ~tob~ AND FILE_EXISTS ~bgmain.exe~) THEN BEGIN
        COPY_EXISTING ~misc01.itm~ ~override/dw#mifix.mrk~
        LAUNCH_ACTION_MACRO ~mirror_image_AoE~
    END

Where the last macro contains the following

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP ~.*\.spl~ ~override~
        READ_LONG 0x64 ~ab_off~
        READ_SHORT 0x26+~ab_off~ ~pronum~
        PATCH_IF VARIABLE_IS_SET $mirror_ignore(EVALUATE_BUFFER ~%pronum%~) THEN BEGIN
 //       PATCH_PRINT ~%SOURCE_RES%~
           READ_BYTE 0x1b ~flags~
           SET ~flags~=~flags~ BOR ~0b00000001~
           WRITE_BYTE 0x1b ~flags~
        END
BUT_ONLY

0x64+0x26=152, which is exactly what we see in the log. Something has removed the ability header, along with all of its effects, from CDDETECT.SPL. I'll see if I can figure out what was that.

PS Alright, the cause is found:

// fix the bug in G3's DS
COPY_EXISTING ~misc01.itm~ ~override/cddetect.spl~ // tell CamDawg's (?) version that DS is already installed
LAM fix_khelben

As you can guess, it doesn't necessarily have an extended header...

In my defense, I can only say that one shouldn't be reading blindly without checking up both the offset and the counter, just to be safe in case somebody manages to mess the file up :blush:

I'll update it today or tomorrow.

Edited by GeN1e, 25 May 2013 - 02:56 AM.

Retired from modding.

#952 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

I've temporarily changed the DS package in BPv181 to use SPWI103.spl instead of SW1H01.itm as its clone object for cddetect.spl. (I'll change this to whatever, when an official update surfaces.) The latest BPv181 beta installs with SCS/2 in any order. It was far from the most monumental change in the latest beta (see release notes in BP forum). But now, hopefully, you can proceed with the fun side of mod compatibility and start mixing it up.

#953 archlich

archlich
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Horred, thank you for this release which should ease compatibility.

Now, does anybody know when BWP will be updated to take this into account?

#954 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Horred, thank you for this release which should ease compatibility.

Please examine the pinned topic with a similar theme, and visit the Big Picture downloads section. :cheers:

#955 archlich

archlich
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Well... wonderful! Thank you very much again!

Just one question, what is the new install order with the updated BWS configuration? (in case some people want to use the installpack included in standard BWP, or they want to perform a manual install)

#956 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I am currently working on an Update for BWP including the newest BP. However, due to the enormous complexity of the mod itself and the lot of dependencies with other mods as well as a changed install order it will last some time until release. I am grateful for any help.

I want to thank Horred for his strenuous efforts in making his baby as compatible with BWP as possible.

#957 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

However, due to the enormous complexity of the mod itself and the lot of dependencies with other mods as well as a changed install order it will last some time until release.

Well, I have waited to install all the mods for say 5 years, I can hold on them a bit while longer... as long as they'll work in the end as they are designed to, it will be worth the wait.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#958 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

I went through in BWS and sorted out several of the dependencies & conflicts there. Most if not all of my new rules are sorted at the bottom of the Connections list, in game.ini Just run a search for BP( or BPS in the file, and you'll hit all the BP/Series additions.

Most of what I worked out was between SCS/2 and BP. Those were the main conflictors. I did notice another few candidates in the install this morn, before the day job. Revised Battles has a few suspect components, and Super Firkraag perhaps as well. I don't know what these do on the file level, so I left them alone for now (in Rules). But because of them, BP Dragons is set to off in default setup.

There's a couple tricks in the BWS that I used. e.g., in the Shadows comp. I chose 'All but the Shade Lord', and then let Revised Battles and SCS fight over it while I just added the tougher shadows and wraiths of BP.

I think my presets in BP will choose All but item taking in Spellhold (option #3), chapter 4, leaving that open for SCS2's better system (or others). Improved Spellhold mod I think is the one to watch here, also the other bits of Spellhold Improvements in other mods. IF SCS2 really 'only' handles the item taking in that component, it will be fine w/ BP as described I hope..

You can swap on and off between BP and SCS/2 with things like Generic Mages and Priests, and the General AI as well. Lots of mix and match choices available. I know at least BP does what it says on the label, in those components.

I still don't know just how compatible my components are/aren't with everything, but it surely can't be any worse than the old BP dump-it-all and in theory should be much better.

@Leonardo: My Big World Install batch file might need work anyways, I'm glad that you picked up the torch w/ your qualified hands. I tried it yesterday, and for some reason it installed everything 'except' BP, even after acknowledging its existence. Worked fine the first 2 times, before I released it...

@archlich My recommended order---First all of BP-Ascension, and BP core, right where BP is now. Then SCS/2 and other AI mods. Then the BP components for creatures and encounters. Then, the tweaks (or whatever it is that's chosen next). And finally, any time after a#tweaks and tb#tweaks,  you can install BPSeries. Why so late, w/ that? Because I already have code devised to handle the Bigg's altered petrification (auto-cures and such) and a#tweaks mummy rot (special disease handling required, esp w/ cure spells). Some day in near future I might just expand BPSeries to account for certain mods once more, including these--but I can only check for their presence 'after' they are...well, present.

The same goes for BP's components--why they are later in install. If I run into a compatibility issue w/ a mod installed 'before' BP, I can add code into BP to handle it. Afterwards, none such luck. Also, if you choose to use the Generic AI component, it then has 'a chance of' affecting mod-added creatures as well (if they used default AI) ;)

Edited by horred the plague, 11 June 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#959 -ax-

-ax-

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

BiG World Fixpack v11.4

Aurora component "realistic kobolds" cannot be installed as it doesn't find kobolda.cre

http://www.shsforums...ll-error/page-2

BiG World Fixpack\infinityanimations\_copy\content\?JXG1.bam
BiG World Fixpack\infinityanimations\_copy\content\?JXG2.bam

Not find file or directory. Language: Russian

#960 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

BiG World Fixpack v11.4

Aurora component "realistic kobolds" cannot be installed as it doesn't find kobolda.cre

http://www.shsforums...ll-error/page-2

BiG World Fixpack\infinityanimations\_copy\content\?JXG1.bam
BiG World Fixpack\infinityanimations\_copy\content\?JXG2.bam

Not find file or directory. Language: Russian

Yeah, the fix is as simple as doing what the MMFAQ's point 3.2 says you need to do.