Photo

What Mods Should I Play?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 seanbrenna

seanbrenna
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hi all, I haven't played baldurs's gate I & II in many years and I am excited to see all the mods here but I am a bit overwhelmed and could use some suggestions. I want to play through I & II with both expansions with one main character so it seems I should get the Trilogy mod. But what other mods do you recommend if I want:

1. A balanced, challenging game experience - i don't want to easily breeze through because i am too overpowered
2. As much new content as possible without too many technical difficulties (I am only semi-literate when it comes to this stuff)

Thanks for any help!!

-Sean

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

1. A balanced, challenging game experience - i don't want to easily breeze through because i am too overpowered
2. As much new content as possible without too many technical difficulties (I am only semi-literate when it comes to this stuff)

The points 1 and 2 are almost opposite things(balance vs. ever enlarger content) as you'll find out, but if you really want, I do recommend you to download this, read this thread, and use my FAQ, and then choose the "Further Customize your installation..." option, and go light on the first try.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

I would at least stay away from "dsotsc", "ntotsc" and "the vault".
If you absolutely want the first two then manually install the "remove all magic items" options for them in the "bp-balancer".

#4 seanbrenna

seanbrenna
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Jarno Mikkola, thanks man. This looks really good!

#5 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

I would at least stay away from "dsotsc", "ntotsc" and "the vault".
If you absolutely want the first two then manually install the "remove all magic items" options for them in the "bp-balancer".

I would install DSotSC instead. It has a decent plot and its storyline is linear (what ntsots doesn't have instead). U'll find some very good items but u really need them beacuse there are LOT of challenging fights.

I would also play Secret of Bonehill, even if the 2nd part of the mod would be better to skip (a couple of bugs and not linear behaviour of characters with the plot).

Those are 2 BIG mods in BG1 and very enjoable.

I also advice as a tweak the last Miloch's work (Aurora & Shoes) at least for the treasure component and store prices stuff. U may find purchasing an item in the sword coast very difficult.

Last (and least :P) ... if u want my mod who brings some randomness in any game u're going to do :)

Have fun!
mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#6 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

I would install DSotSC instead. It has a decent plot and its storyline is linear (what ntsots doesn't have instead). You'll find some very good items but u really need them because there are LOT of challenging fights.

They are not difficult enough to warrant the whole "toss a stone and you'll hit a magic item" mentality of DSotSC. Some of these items are simply BADLY implemented and almost all of them are imbalanced. Both Dsotsc and Ntotsc add good content to bg1, but they need balancing.

I agree that both your mod and Miloch's latest version of Aurora should be part of any BWS.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Some of these items are simply BADLY implemented and almost all of them are imbalanced. Both Dsotsc and Ntotsc add good content to bg1, but they need balancing.

Aye, well you'd best learn some WeiDU and get cracking on that new BP-Balancer :).

FYI, the toned-down DSotSC-Tutu version will also be BGT compatible (because that part is easy to do) but all the resource names are different, so it's not like you could just drop the nerfed items in the current BGT version.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

Aye, well you'd best learn some WeiDU and get cracking on that new BP-Balancer :).

FYI, the toned-down DSotSC-Tutu version will also be BGT compatible (because that part is easy to do) but all the resource names are different, so it's not like you could just drop the nerfed items in the current BGT version.

Et tu Miloch! :P

Just pointing out the obvious. We'll see about the bp-balancer. The problem isn't motivation at least.

What's this about the DSotSC-Tutu?

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

What's this about the DSotSC-Tutu?

Just what I said. I suppose you could look at our version and maybe use the nerfed items and descriptions as a base for "balancing" the items in the existing BGT version. You'd just have to change the item resources and such, since they're different.

We also had some utilities we used to take care of a lot of the "badly coded" issues - I suppose I could try to dig them up and maybe put them in some sort of polished format. The G3 Debuggerer was one of them though.

Edited by Miloch, 08 October 2009 - 03:14 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 raphaelem

raphaelem
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hello,
I'm plannig to start a new BG after some years, and I'm planning put these games:
1- BG1+ ToSC(with DSoSC + SBHill)
2- BG2+ ToB (with RoT + TDD)
3- + BGT(and sort of...) + lots NPCs + Kit Mod + Sound changing mods.
If any of you have experienced compatibility problems with these mods combination please tell me, I don't want to cry after all the hard instalation work.
Rafael

PS:SeanBrenna try put 1 or 2 megamod in each Baldur's Gate game, and dont trust in the install all :devil: way of think.

#11 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

They are not difficult enough to warrant the whole "toss a stone and you'll hit a magic item" mentality of DSotSC. Some of these items are simply BADLY implemented and almost all of them are imbalanced. Both Dsotsc and Ntotsc add good content to bg1, but they need balancing.

Please don't mix DSotSC AND NTotSC ... they are completely different mods. NTotSC ADDS LOT of overpowered stuff, DSotSC add some too, but u really need those to defeat "The One" and "The Banshee"for example and the dragon eventually but MOSTLY the Darthmac castle.
As i pointed above, NTotSC would have to be to skipped for not experienced users.

just my 2 cents,
mm75

#12 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hello,
I'm plannig to start a new BG after some years, and I'm planning put these games:
1- BG1+ ToSC(with DSoSC + SBHill)
2- BG2+ ToB (with RoT + TDD)
3- + BGT(and sort of...) + lots NPCs + Kit Mod + Sound changing mods.
If any of you have experienced compatibility problems with these mods combination please tell me, I don't want to cry after all the hard instalation work.

To big a question to answer simply. Check out the links in Post #2.

Please don't mix DSotSC AND NTotSC ... they are completely different mods. NTotSC ADDS LOT of overpowered stuff, DSotSC add some too, but u really need those to defeat "The One" and "The Banshee"for example and the dragon eventually but MOSTLY the Darthmac castle.

I Don't. I remember making this list back in 2006. Those are all Dsotsc items and most of them are more powerful than stuff you'll find in BG2.
A closer count reveals that Dsotsc adds 190 items to the game, while Ntotsc adds 86, and if the mentioned list is any indication I would say that Dsotsc is a bigger problem than Ntotsc.

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 09 October 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#13 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

I Don't. I remember making this list back in 2006. Those are all Dsotsc items and most of them are more powerful than stuff you'll find in BG2.
A closer count reveals that Dsotsc adds 190 items to the game, while Ntotsc adds 86, and if the mentioned list is any indication I would say that Dsotsc is a bigger problem than Ntotsc.

Just ahd a look at that topic. Interesting ... i guess many items are hidden anyway (the ones mentioned are really overpowered, but i simply don't use them so that's why may be i forget something) because i really didn't find hundreds of new items in a DSotSC only game.

Anyway ... as u pointed out, none was interested enough to create a nerfed mod (it should be done anyway for DSotSC, NTotSC and Bonehill), maybe i'll try to create a sort of DB in my this very playthrough (but it would be of DSotSC and Bonehill only i believe, as NTotSC has a bad/non-existent plot indeed).

mm75

#14 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

Anyway ... as u pointed out, none was interested enough to create a nerfed mod (it should be done anyway for DSotSC, NTotSC and Bonehill), maybe i'll try to create a sort of DB in my this very playthrough (but it would be of DSotSC and Bonehill only i believe, as NTotSC has a bad/non-existent plot indeed).

To be honest I am not 100% certain that all those items are obtainable in-game. The list was made from dltcep references.
I am currently holding onto all custom magic items in my own play-through in order to make some sort of list. If you do the same it would be valuable information if we ever get a balancing mod going.

I agree that NTotSC don't add much of a plot, but it does add some interesting minor quests and encounters.

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 09 October 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#15 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:08 AM

To be honest I am not 100% certain that all those items are obtainable in-game. The list was made from dltcep references.
I am currently holding onto all custom magic items in my own play-through in order to make some sort of list. If you do the same it would be valuable information if we ever get a balancing mod going.

I agree that NTotSC don't add much of a plot, but it does add some interesting minor quests and encounters.

I will do it for DSotSC encounters & stores (it adds some paladin & cleric stuff to some stores) and Bonehill as well. Let's see it if could be of help for something in future :) I just hope to have time to do it in a reasonable time :P

Let's keep in touch ;)

mm75

#16 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

I will do it for DSotSC encounters & stores (it adds some paladin & cleric stuff to some stores) and Bonehill as well. Let's see it if could be of help for something in future :) I just hope to have time to do it in a reasonable time :P

Sounds good. BTW do you (or anybody else) know how to export a list of all party items from a savegame?

#17 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

BTW do you (or anybody else) know how to export a list of all party items from a savegame?

For what purpose? To create an external file with the inventory items? That could lead to Bags and Case problems anyway ... if u have them u will just have the case for example without the potions in it.

Honestly ... i really don't have a clue if it's something possible :whistling: DSotSC items (and other mods as well) SHOULD have a sort of prefix before thier name, so it would be easier to create a list just sorting by prefix. If that's your purpose of course :P

mm75

#18 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

For what purpose? To create an external file with the inventory items? That could lead to Bags and Case problems anyway ... if u have them u will just have the case for example without the potions in it.

My intention was to make a reference list without having to type it out manually. This would be useful in identifying which items need balancing.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:41 AM

This would be useful in identifying which items need balancing.

Actually no. Cause you'll have to be able to re-conform that the item in question has the abilities mentioned in the description. And you can do that only by looking it with an editor. :P Hurray for manual work.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#20 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:53 AM

Actually no. Cause you'll have to be able to re-conform that the item in question has the abilities mentioned in the description. And you can do that only by looking it with an editor. :P Hurray for manual work.

Obviously, but every saved type counts and such a list would be a starting point in narrowing the job down.