DA: Launch Party Thread

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

Here are some of the screenshots from my char in the game...the game takes screenshots every now and then during events

Screenshots

MINOR Spoilers a few of them are but they should not give away anything most people who have followed the game or frequent these boards allready know

Edited by Vicen, 04 November 2009 - 04:14 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#22 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:00 AM

Thought I'd come join the party. :) Just came out today in good old Australia, bought the Collector's edition, installed it, and was gobsmacked. Straight away thrown into a very interesting, dark world. Only complaint I have is the sometimes ridiculous looking blood splatter.

Looking forwards to hearing and sharing more experiences here soon. :D

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#23 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:17 AM

The front door just opened and there was a loud thump as a small parcel hit the tiled floor (we live out in the sticks you see and rural values still apply - the postman will always check to see if the front door is unlocked and will leave parcels in the hallway rather than leave them on top of the mailbox). Right up until I opened it I thought it was a small piece of motorcycle (lots of stuff ordered from different shops for a new project). Bit disappointed that the UK Collector's Edition comes in a normal size box. I was briefly tempted to install it now but

a. I'm supposed to be debugging code for work
b. surprisingly enough, I want to finish Jade Empire before starting a new game.

-Y-

But I might install it anyway before I leave for the office! :devil: :D

#24 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

The front door just opened and there was a loud thump as a small parcel hit the tiled floor

Gaaaa!!!! I'm so jealous!!! I'm still waiting for DHL to deliver my copy... I'm starting to get kinda ticked off at them: they were supposed to deliver it yesterday, but long story short, I couldn't be there to sign for it (big city, crappy values ;) ), and so they were supposed to deliver it again this morning. Still no DA:O... :crying: I did see a DHL truck earlier today, but still nada. I'm hoping they're not pulling the "doorbell doesn't work" trick on me (the post office has been known to do that, because they're a bunch of lazy sloths, and then you have to go and retrieve the letter/parcel/whatever yourself, it's happened to me before, gotta love the French public system! ^_^ ).
Sooooo... still waiting here. :crying:

Nice screenshots, though, Vicen!!! (I see little to no spoilers, myself, but then again, I've up and down the official web site and boards, so... ;) )

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#25 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:08 AM

Got mine today, and I didn't even pay for a quick delivery. I'm extremely, extremely happy with the service Game has provided. I'm installing as we speak (in vain - I know the computer won't run it, but I still want to try ...)

I only ordered on the 31st, too. I really wasn't expecting it to arrive until next week. Maybe by some miracle, my computer will play this flawlessly, and I might have a euphoric fit and die happy. (Before I play the game. Hmm)

#26 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:12 AM

I'm still waiting for my copy, but I was promised I'd get the package in mail tomorrow. I'm slightly annoyed that some stores here in Finland have broken the street date already and are selling the game openly, even though they're in breach of their contract with the publisher.

#27 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

I feel bad for you guys...thats why I dont usually preorder anymore unless I have know...Usually one or two stores in my area will always have the game I want or the collectors edition for it...And yeah the screenshots are not really spoilers except for maybe one or two of them for the Human Noble storyline... :ph34r:

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

So has anyone played enough to tell us outright if it's -good- yet? I know I'll probably play it anyway, but it would be good to have realistic expectations going into it.

Qwinn

#29 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

Well..... no :D. I've got as far as installing it (temptation rulz KO) and getting my 'free' DLC. Beats me how it can be free when you pay £40 for the CE and it's £25 for the normal package... £15 = quite a bit of the payware DLC.

-Y-

#30 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Wait, buying the CE gets you more DLC stuff? I thought it just got you the map and tin and all that crap. Is there DLC stuff you -can't- get unless you get the CE, or can I buy it separately?

Qwinn

#31 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

I'm jealous. I want to buy it. I really do. But the bills have to be paid before I can play, and I need new brakes on the truck.

It's funny. This computer is only about a year and a half old. It was definitely not a junker. I can run NWN2 on it, FWIW. And yet, it barely clears the minimum requirements for DA. Go fig.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#32 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I've had several friends play it, and all of them unanimously agree it's the best RPG since BGII.

Looking forward to playing it myself next week.

#33 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Dang it, K'ae, I didn't need to hear that. Really, I didn't. I've got to get the truck fixed, and that's that. But here you go, telling me how wonderful it's supposed to be, and you know perfectly well I've got mods to finish. What's a poor half-orc to do?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#34 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

I'm content to wait till Christmas, myself. :) Long enough for bugs to get patched, guides to be written, and my relatives to shut up about how I never want anything for Christmas. That my computer's video card in on the fritz and can't even play BG1 is beside the point.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#35 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

I'm about 15 hours of gameplay into it.

The story is wonderful; it really is. I'm having a blast and I've barely scraped the subquests.

The NPCs are believable, though most bear a resemblance of some kind to a BG2 NPC.

Some of the load screen and help tips are straight from BG2, which is funny.

I noticed a lag in load times when running the game while logged in to my Bioware account but once I logged off it ran very fast.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

I told my friend I would write a review on it for her blog. I give it an 8.5/10 so far but when I write it I'll definitely post more details.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#36 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

I'm about five or six hours in, and I can genuinely say I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Baldur's Gate. I'm pretty sure the most stubborn BG fanatics will find things to complain about, but so far, I'm extremely pleased. My only problem is that I might get so into it, I rush through it too quickly. And, of course, it could get a lot, lot worse further on in the story, though I doubt it will.

berelinde, my system barely runs NWN2, and yet it runs DA:O much, much more smoothly, which is odd. Of course, I'm playing at the lowest graphics, but still, I'm thrilled that the game is so slick. Could be smoother, but it's definitely enjoyable, even. Shame you can't play it right now, but the game can only be improved with patches and the like while you wait, as Tempest said.

Can't remember the last time I spent so long on a game in one day ... should probably stop before my eyes fall out.

#37 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

Wait, buying the CE gets you more DLC stuff? I thought it just got you the map and tin and all that crap. Is there DLC stuff you -can't- get unless you get the CE, or can I buy it separately?

Qwinn

Some stuff can't be bought but I'm not sure it's worth that much worry. Most of the 'wantit DLC' is payware/downloadable. I'm still debating on Warden's Keep though - the CE doesn't get you that one. And I'm willing to bet it won't be that long before the CE DLC surfaces on the net.

-Y-

#38 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Mine is decrypting!

Probably will be too busy to play it until Christmas, though :(.

#39 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

I love it and will probably be spending all me waking non-working hours playing it. That should keep me occupied the rest of the year.

@theacefes
Spoiler

#40 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:22 AM

My copy finally got here this morning (in the battle UPS vs DHL, I vote UPS, no question). I'm barely an hour in, and I'm so utterly hooked, it's almost kinda sad. My only gripe is that the character creator was a bit dark, and that my Human Noble Rogue turned out a bit more white and pasty (so to speak, I'm exaggerating) than I'd hoped, but this is far from being a deal breaker.

The music contributes to the immersion, the gameplay is rather intuitive and easy to get into (especially if you've played games like Mass Effect). The voicing is extremely well done.
Oh, and the game tolerates task-switching which is a step up from Mass Effect (trivial, I know, but still :D ). I've had a few tiny graphic glitches on non-joinable NPCs, especially on the collar, and at the junction between neck and clothing, but nothing major, I'm just nit-picking. I guess I really shouldn't complain, since the game still looks gorgeous, even though I'm still stuck in the 1280*1024 dimension because I haven't changed my monitor in over three years (even though my graphics card is a year old, go figure).

All in all, from this small glimpse I've had, this game shows great, great promise.

EDIT: I take back what I said before about the Hound, he's absolutely adorable (and I'm a cat person).... :P
And since this *is* a party... Posted Image ^_^

Edited by Eleima, 06 November 2009 - 03:46 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif