• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#41 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

I want to marry this game, it's that awesome.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#42 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:09 AM

Dammit! DECRYPT FASTER!

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#43 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:53 AM

I'm enjoying this game immensely, for the most part (really like the cutscenes - just think I might need a new graphics card to make the most of them!), but then every now and then I remember that I paid an extra £15 for basically nothing. This is actually the first time I've ever seriously regretted buying the collector's edition of anything. Blatant rip-off aside, it's looking extremely good so far - although I've been taking my time going through. It's a pretty silly thing, but I like the way saving works - it sensibly autosaves, keeps the old saves without writing over them, and names them appropriately; this is one feature that I've always wished the IE had.

Still getting used to the UI - so far it seems kind of like the worst bits of WoW or BG, but that might be because I've not used it enough to get a proper feel for it yet.

Hmm, I guess that sounded fairly negative, but really it's more that the bits I don't like stand out because the rest is so good, so I have great hopes for the rest of the game.

Stupid question: how do you install downloadable content? It's all labelled 'downloaded', but there's nothing in the 'installed' section and I can't see any kind of install button. Am I missing something obvious?
[Edit: It seems that manually fiddling with the 'Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater' service in the control panel has persuaded it to start extracting the DLC, and it's also now showing Warden's Keep as available to buy.

One other thing, this is the first game I've played which is really well multi-threaded, and actually uses my CPU to anything resembling its full potential. That might be why it's performing reasonably despite the fact that this machine is over two years old and had a fairly old graphics card even then]

[Further edit: installing that DLC has just pushed my inventory to two items over capacity, dammit!]

Edited by Waywocket, 06 November 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#44 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

My Collector's Edition copy just arrived today, and I must say that I'm not disappointed by its appearance. The cloth map is cool as well... it actually resembles a real cloth map in material and isn't too sleek either.

I stopped by a shop on my way home and took a look at the regular edition plastic box... I can honestly say that I really prefer the CE and I don't feel like I've wasted my money here. The metal case alone is great, but when I consider the cloth map, soundtrack (EPIC! I'm listening to it now), bonus DVD and three CE exclusive items, I really feel like I did the right move here (unlike with the NWN2 CE).

I'm installing the game in a moment and will report back when I've had some time to play it.

#45 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

I want to marry this game, it's that awesome.

If I wasn't already married, I would too! ^_^

I agree with Archmage Silver in the sense that the standard version really has little to offer next to the Collector's Edition, and I'd regret getting the standard one if the Collector's hadn't been unavailable by the time I got around to pre-ordering on Amazon.

And I completely agree with Waywocket regarding the saves. Their labeling system is perfect if you're gamer with obsessive compulsive disorder like me. ;)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#46 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

The metal case alone is great, but when I consider the cloth map, soundtrack (EPIC! I'm listening to it now)

:(

The UK version doesn't include any of those things.

#47 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:30 AM

Another point to mention about saving, at least in my case, is that is a very smooth, fast process. Saving in Neverwinter Nights 2 took upwards of 4 minutes for me, but saving only takes a few seconds in Dragon Age.

I'm glad most people seem to be enjoying the game as much as I am!

#48 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

Just installing it: my computer's CPU is a 2.8ghz single core, so I;m not sure how well it'll handle it :( But after I upgraded my graphics card, NWN2 ran a lot better, so we shall have to see.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#49 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:39 AM

Absolutely, Crazee!!! And did all of you BG fanatics notice the subtle references?? Just a few examples,
Spoiler

I'm lovin' this! ^_^

Edited by Eleima, 06 November 2009 - 07:39 AM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#50 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

Anyone who's got a CE copy and has the bonus DVD nearby, take a look at the video labeled "Outtakes" in the bonus material submenu - I promise you a good laugh! :lol:

#51 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:08 AM

Anyone who's got a CE copy and has the bonus DVD nearby, take a look at the video labeled "Outtakes" in the bonus material submenu - I promise you a good laugh! :lol:

That was ... actually kind of disturbing.

More importantly though, it's directed me to discover that the soundtrack is actually in MP3 format on the DVD, which hadn't occurred to me :blush:. This makes me happy.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know if it's possible to change the choice of soundset after character creation? I was hopeful that it might be done by editing the character's xml file, but that seems to be rewritten when you load a savegame.

#52 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

I'm fairly amazed with this game right now: I run it smoothly on less than minimum specs (windowed, 1280x768, iirc on min graphics), and I'm amazed with the quality of writing.
Spoiler

Another BG1 quotelet:
Spoiler

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 06 November 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#53 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

I've installed and patched the game itself, but now I have to get all the downloadable content I've got codes for... :lol:

• Dalish Promise Ring
  • Memory Band
  • Blood Dragon Armor
  • Collector's Edition Items
  • The Stone Prisoner
  • Helm of the Deep
  • Amulet of the War Mage
  • Embri's Many Pockets
  • The Lucky Stone

Edited by Archmage Silver, 03 January 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#54 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

This game was such a pleasant surprise, I really want to marry it as well! I wasn`t expecting much, considering anything Bioware made since BG2 - but I also haven`t had this much fun in an RPG since BG2. I`m partly glad I haven`t had my hopes up, since it was such a tremendous surprise.

Now I have to get my hands on the Dragon Age books by Gaider.

#55 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

And did all of you BG fanatics notice the subtle references??

If you try leaving a major area with only one party member, you get a popup: "Gather your party and venture forth?".
I laughed quite a lot.

#56 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

And did all of you BG fanatics notice the subtle references??

If you try leaving a major area with only one party member, you get a popup: "Gather your party and venture forth?".
I laughed quite a lot.

Absolutely, I just saw that one!!! Made me laugh out loud, and I was even expecting to hear the classic "You must gather your party before venturing forth"!!!
(No, I don't turn that sound off, I know there's a mod to remove it, but I kinda like it, call me a masochist, but it's an integral part of the BG2 experience)

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#57 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

got it, but i hate the DLC

because it doesnt work. at all.

#58 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

There is a load screen tip that says something like "If all else fails, go for the eyes"...or something close.

I'm running it at max settings and it looks and runs smooth. A strange thing happens after I've had the game running for more than three or four hours where the load times between areas will take FOREVER but other than that there is no lag in game performance. Usually, I will save it and then close and restart the game.

Edited by theacefes, 06 November 2009 - 10:18 AM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#59 -erik-

-erik-

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Mwahaha. Got it.

#60 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

My copy is in my DVD drive and installing now.

And now I'm really worried, in case it isn't as good as I hope. Which is really silly of me. Because it will be. Won't it?

I think I need a hug.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.