BiG World Project (BWP) v8.2

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#41 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Nope, just move a clean 24698 patched BGII-ToB installation into a BGII-SoA folder. Extract the BWS by running it and pointing to that folder, set the correct paths ... the third box should contain the folder where all the mods are. Choose your install type and hit NEXT :D

The BWS should do everything for you, downloading, checking, extracting (even the installers)... and finally running the install.bat for installing everything ;) Sit back and watch it do its magic :D

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#42 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

Back to my question about the mods with their own installers (Jerry Zinger mod for instance) - should I just run the setup from those on the clean+patched BG2 dir before running the BWP install bat?

If you are running BW Setup, you should not have to manualy extract any file unless the setup tells you extraction failed. I think that after BWS extracts the zips and RAR files, it gives a message and when you click continue it wll begin extracting the EXE files. At that point, your computer should flash beteen the normal screen and a DOS screen. I believe this when the EXE file are being extracted.

EDIT
Too slow yea what Lolorian said

Edited by Sanity, 14 November 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#43 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

These are the ones where the extraction does fail. The installers they contain seem like they're actually applying the mods as well, not just extracting the files to the BGII - SoA dir. You can download the Jerry Zinger one and take a look.

On a different note, in Windows 7, the "big world install.bat" doesn't run properly when executed from the BWP setup script. It doesn't seem to get the correct path. I can bypass this by opening up a cmd window and manually changing to the correct directory and running the file however, so it should presumably be a simple fix (add the BG2 install dir to the .bat file and CD to it before doing anything else).

Edited by flinx, 14 November 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#44 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

These are the ones where the extraction does fail. The installers they contain seem like they're actually applying the mods as well, not just extracting the files to the BGII - SoA dir. You can download the Jerry Zinger one and take a look.

If extraction fails for w/e reason with these mods, create a blank folder someplace on your computer; run the installers; tell them to install to the blank folder; and once you have finished copy and paste the folder's contents into the same folder as the rest of your mods. These installers are just self extracting zips which run the weidu installer as soon as you extract them. If you install them to a folder that doesn't have BGII in it then they extract without installing. By doing this you can install them in the proper order.

#45 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Doing my install now and thought Id mention a few minor issues I've had so far:

The PDF file still mentions Tales of Anegh as German Only just FYI.

For some reason BWS will not stop when all files have not been downloaded correctly, it will begin extracting files regardless of whether the downloads have errors or not. It is extracting right now, but looking in the download file I see a Sound SET file with 0kb. Also yesterday when I first started, I noticed errors during the download process (flashing red letters) but instead of giving me the option to retry or download manually it went straigt to extraction? So, today when I ran it again the missing files downloaded.

#46 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

On a different note, in Windows 7, the "big world install.bat" doesn't run properly when executed from the BWP setup script. It doesn't seem to get the correct path. I can bypass this by opening up a cmd window and manually changing to the correct directory and running the file however, so it should presumably be a simple fix (add the BG2 install dir to the .bat file and CD to it before doing anything else).

Hmm I wonder if these problems are due to the same problems that cause Vista errors? Did you install your game in Program Files Directory? Im not too familiar with Win7, but Vista is very wierd about changing files in the program directory.

#47 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

@Sanity: Please have a look at the BiG World Setup\Logs folder, get the one from yesterday and attach the compressed BiG World Download Debug.txt so I can have a look at it.

@flinx: The mods are extracted to a subfolder. There is no way they can be applied. They try to auto-update weidu, that's all they can do...

I don't have vista nor 7. I don't know if any of our testers had it installed. So I don't know if the Batch-execution-error is related to your system or a common error. Maybe some others can give some info about that...

Edited by dabus, 14 November 2009 - 11:12 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#48 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

If extraction fails for w/e reason with these mods, create a blank folder someplace on your computer; run the installers; tell them to install to the blank folder; and once you have finished copy and paste the folder's contents into the same folder as the rest of your mods. These installers are just self extracting zips which run the weidu installer as soon as you extract them. If you install them to a folder that doesn't have BGII in it then they extract without installing. By doing this you can install them in the proper order.

Tried that - doesn't work (at least not with the Jerry Zinger mod).

Hmm I wonder if these problems are due to the same problems that cause Vista errors? Did you install your game in Program Files Directory? Im not too familiar with Win7, but Vista is very wierd about changing files in the program directory.

I'm very familiar with that problem, so no I made sure that wasn't an issue. I install all my games in the c:\games directory, and in addition I make sure the permissions and ownership is set properly. The way it appears is that the batch file doesn't list any mods to be installed, and then comes up with a huge list of missing mods - it's being run from the wrong path.

#49 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Nm ignore this.

Edited by flinx, 14 November 2009 - 11:17 AM.

#50 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

@flinx: The mods are extracted to a subfolder. There is no way they can be applied. They try to auto-update weidu, that's all they can do...

Well in that case, including those mods in the standard list seems rather counterproductive - BWP can't install them and they require manual installation, which as noted can break the install. Shouldn't they be in the expert section then instead, maybe? Or even included at all?

#51 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

@Sanity: Please have a look at the BiG World Setup\Logs folder, get the one from yesterday and attach the compressed BiG World Download Debug.txt so I can have a look at it.

Hmm, I think the current run overworte yesterdays attempt will todays work?

#52 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

@flinx: Huh?
I just answered to your concern that the mods could get installed before they should be. So I told you that they are extracted into a subfolder, so this will not happen. These NSIS-mods are moved from the subfolder into the BG2-folder after they are all extracted. Otherwise, it would not make sense to extract them at all if things would not be at the right spot.

@Sanity: If you reset the installation, a folder with a timestamp should be created in the log-folder with all the files that were created since then. If this folder does not exist and you had the error again, the file of the new run will do it as well.

Edited by dabus, 14 November 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#53 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hmm.. I may have misread what you said earlier - I assumed that if you run the installer in those mods that BWP can't extract, the installer would not only extract the files to the BG2 dir, but also add the mod itself to the game. This is incorrect?

#54 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

@Sanity: If you reset the installation, a folder with a timestamp should be created in the log-folder with all the files that were created since then. If this folder does not exist and you had the error again, the file of the new run will do it as well.

I think this are them (see attached)

FYI, the version of Quallo that is downloaded is 1.13 though the PDF says 1.12. Also this mod gives and extract error, but I noticed that the mod was updated Nov 12 so this maybe this is the cause of the error?

The sound set for the Kiara mod was not downloaded is this neccessary to play the mod?

Thanks,

Attached Files

Edited by Sanity, 14 November 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#55 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

@flinx: Doh, ok, a brief overview.

Check if it's a NSIS-package. Skip if true.
Unpack the archive. Check for errors.
See if the archive contains one useless sub-folder. If true, move the content and remove the folder.
See if the archive contains another zip-file. If true, unpack that, too.
See if the archive contains a NSIS-package. Skip if true.Check if the tp2-file and its mod-folder exist.

That's done with every archive that's needed.
After that, the NSIS-packages are called with a quite & extract to-switch. They are extracted to a temporary NSIS-sub-folder. Message-buttons should be pressed automatically and cmd-boxes are closed in short intervals. After all are unpacked, the files are moved into the main directory.

After that, there's another check for files that had produced errors with another attempt to extract them and a final check for tp2-files and mod-directories.

If mods are still missing, they are listed and you can try to extract them with your default-tools. The BWS will assist you with that. You can also choose to remove those mods or exit.

@Sanity: Quallo has a new setup-filename and the BWS will be updated soon, so that this error will be fixed.
And you uploaded the BiG World Debug from the BG2-folder. I need the BiG World Download Debug.txt from the BiG World Setup\Logs-folder. There may be several ones in additional sub-folders.

Edited by dabus, 14 November 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#56 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

@Sanity: Quallo has a new setup-filename and the BWS will be updated soon, so that this error will be fixed.

Thats what I thought but just though Id mention it just in case.

BTW did you see the edit in my previous post regarding the sound file?

Thanks again

#57 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

No. It's not needed, but you can download it by hand if you use the right url. There is a colon in front of the url and it was not updated properly by a link-update. It's fixed now, but you downloaded the mods a few hours ago when it was still "broken".

#58 Sanity

Sanity
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, I can live without the sound file

Starting the bat now *fingers crossed*

[Edit]
Well I spoke too soon. BWIntall bat is telling me that the Undying mod is not in the directory when it is.

Edited by Sanity, 14 November 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#59 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Dabus - it makes more sense now.

I figured out why the path gets wrong in the install bat by the way - it's because it has to run as administrator. If I right-click and run it as admin, it runs it from c:\windows\system32. However if I just double-click the file to run it without those extra needed rights, it runs from the correct directory.

It's therefore necessary to add the following to the top of the bat file after @echo off:

C:
cd \games\BGII - SoA

That's specific to my setup, so the correct drive letter and path has to be added by the install script. I found the spot in 09_Install.au3 where the paths for the BG1 paths are added, but it seems to use a template batch file it replaces variables in, which I can't find. (I also don't know any au3 scripting so don't know how to strip the driver letter from the path.)

Edited by flinx, 14 November 2009 - 05:57 PM.

#60 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

Just want to check something.

Over here: http://forums.pocket...ic,26401.0.html

Leomar says jon-eli's fixes were included, but opening up BWP Fixpack v8.2 I don't see them in either the bg2fixpack, nor in the Ascension folders.

Correct me if i'm missing something though, i'm no expert.