Photo

Bridge Disrict errors

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Killa098

Killa098
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ive done a clean install with BG+BG2+ToB and the Big World Mod v8.2 Standard edition install. My party consist of Korgan,Wulfgar, Drizzt, Robillard, and Branwen. Im currently in chapter 2 of the game.

My problem occurs in the Bridge District a little bit farther from the spot where theres a group of people discussing the recent shadow thief guild fighting with bodies on the ground. The game goes into a cinematic mode as a nameless mage cast a spell and the cowled wizards teleport in to take him away but there is no dialog, no further action and the game gets stuck at this point. The only thing I can do to avoid this problem is to load my save before this point and preemptively kill him. But I then found that once I get past this error I try to enter the Temple of Helm and the game screen goes black and freezes. I cant do anything to avoid this last error.

I can live with the first bug but since I had another bug in the same area I thought I might report it. I havent had any bugs in the game anywhere else yet.

Attached File  BiG_World_Debug.zip   1.41MB   397 downloads
Attached File  Weidu.zip   9.28K   349 downloads

#2 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Ive done a clean install with BG+BG2+ToB and the Big World Mod v8.2 Standard edition install. My party consist of Korgan,Wulfgar, Drizzt, Robillard, and Branwen. Im currently in chapter 2 of the game.

My problem occurs in the Bridge District a little bit farther from the spot where theres a group of people discussing the recent shadow thief guild fighting with bodies on the ground. The game goes into a cinematic mode as a nameless mage cast a spell and the cowled wizards teleport in to take him away but there is no dialog, no further action and the game gets stuck at this point. The only thing I can do to avoid this problem is to load my save before this point and preemptively kill him. But I then found that once I get past this error I try to enter the Temple of Helm and the game screen goes black and freezes. I cant do anything to avoid this last error.

I can live with the first bug but since I had another bug in the same area I thought I might report it. I havent had any bugs in the game anywhere else yet.

Attached File  BiG_World_Debug.zip   1.41MB   397 downloads
Attached File  Weidu.zip   9.28K   349 downloads

The nameless mage getting abducted by the cowlies in the Bridge District is from SimDing0's quest pack. Can't be much help beyond that.

The Temple of Helm is fine for you if you've not encountered the mage and cowlies?

Edited by Arkenor, 30 November 2009 - 11:59 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#3 Killa098

Killa098
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

The Temple of Helm is fine for you if you've not encountered the mage and cowlies?

What I meant was the error happens with or without encountering the mage. Its just a compilation of errors in this specific area of the game.
Would having a low reputation somehow prevent you from entering a temple? I have an 8 for reputation currently.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

But I then found that once I get past this error I try to enter the Temple of Helm and the game screen goes black and freezes. I cant do anything to avoid this last error.

If you're getting a crash or freeze, put Logging On=1 under [Program Options] in your baldur.ini file (as described here) reproduce the error and post the contents of the resulting baldur.err file if it contains anything useful.

Also, if you can figure out the .cre name of the nameless mage, you can do a weidu --change-log on it as described in the pinned FAQ in this forum.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

What I meant was the error happens with or without encountering the mage. Its just a compilation of errors in this specific area of the game.
Would having a low reputation somehow prevent you from entering a temple? I have an 8 for reputation currently.

It wouldn't make you crash. Must be something up with the area.

Though if you're just using the standard BWP mod picks you shouldn't be hitting anything so gamebreaking.
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#6 Killa098

Killa098
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

But I then found that once I get past this error I try to enter the Temple of Helm and the game screen goes black and freezes. I cant do anything to avoid this last error.

If you're getting a crash or freeze, put Logging On=1 under [Program Options] in your baldur.ini file (as described here) reproduce the error and post the contents of the resulting baldur.err file if it contains anything useful.

Also, if you can figure out the .cre name of the nameless mage, you can do a weidu --change-log on it as described in the pinned FAQ in this forum.

Heres the .err file

Attached File  Baldurerr.zip   267bytes   323 downloads

#7 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Heres the .err file

Attached File  Baldurerr.zip   267bytes   323 downloads

Looks like a creature issue then. Try opening up ar0903.are in near infinity. In the view tab it'll give you a list of all the creatures in there (apart from the ones added by scripts.). Try opening up each of them in turn, and see if Near Infinity objects to any of them. If they're all fine, have a look in the area script for any other creatures, and check them too.

Edited by Arkenor, 30 November 2009 - 01:06 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#8 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

The characters involved in the cowled wizard encounter are D0QPCOW1, D0QPCOW2, and D0QPCOW3. A hanging cut scene is most likely going to be caused by something in their scripts, or their dialogues.

Edited by Arkenor, 30 November 2009 - 01:52 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#9 Killa098

Killa098
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Looks like a creature issue then. Try opening up ar0903.are in near infinity. In the view tab it'll give you a list of all the creatures in there (apart from the ones added by scripts.). Try opening up each of them in turn, and see if Near Infinity objects to any of them. If they're all fine, have a look in the area script for any other creatures, and check them too.

I looked at each creature files and also looked under the area script and checked each creature the script uses and no warning messages showed up. I tried looking at the creature files through shadow keeper and didnt recieve any warnings.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Heres the .err file

What this says is that something (probably the area script) is trying to spawn a creature that has a size of zero, which is an invalid file. The only time I've really seen this is for older mods (including the BG2 Fixpack) that use ALLOW_MISSING when installed on SoA without ToB. This creates missing CREs with a size of zero (not really a good idea). Also, did you install the official ToB patch (v26498) before any mods?

What's more though, your WeiDU.log suggests your whole game is hosed, because it has a bunch of entries like "~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // ?????? -> ". Unless it's the BW cleanup doing this, but that's really stupid if it's deleting mod tp2 files so that the components can't even be identified. And it happens for some mods but not others.

The Bridge District is ar0500.are which has ar0500.bcs as a script. The Temple of Helm I believe is ar0512 (see here). So if you don't think your install is completely fubared, start by looking at those and the CREs in them.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#11 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

The Bridge District is ar0500.are which has ar0500.bcs as a script. The Temple of Helm I believe is ar0512 (see here). So if you don't think your install is completely fubared, start by looking at those and the CREs in them.

Ahh, my bad. AR0903 is the Temple of Helm in the Temple District. I forgot there was another one.
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#12 lordkenneth

lordkenneth
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

i got this problem too, looking forward someone will solve it

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Eh, well I don't think anyone's going to solve it without more information, or at least someone who has the problem and can do some more investigation. Someone said the nameless mage was from D0QuestPack... well that doesn't even really give us a .cre file to try to look at. As for cutscenes I grepped the ar0500 script quickly on my BWP install and the only ones I saw offhand appeared to be added by Planar Sphere and RoT. But I don't think that helps much either.

If you or anyone else has the problem, I guess start by providing your WeiDU.log and baldur.err files as described above. I had doubts about the validity of the original poster's install, due to the WeiDU.log entries.

#14 Killa098

Killa098
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

I did a clean uninstall/reinstall of everything and lately have just been going through the game to see what other errors I could get so I could make a separate post. I still run into the mage bug and Temple of Helm bug. I have run into a few other bugs since then. The only major bug Ive run into is that some of the NPCs have begun to replicate, specifically the Amn Captain that starts the skinner quest he replicates once you have finished the skinner quest and he gives you the skinner quest again, another is Arkvisti the Wanderer he just randomly replicates all over the Gaiden castle map and when I attack him the game errors making it impossible to finish the Book quest.

But heres my current Wiedu Log. Attached File  WeiDU.rar   15.03K   316 downloads

One other thing the increased difficulty of the enemies specifically mages have really put me on my toes to watch out for them. Love the mod so far.

#15 breki

breki
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Hi Miloch!

Here is my weidu log too.

By the way I solved the problem: if I lucky enough my character moves enough down to have a shady character spot and move towards me (and blackmail me) just to break the hanging screen. He starts a talk, the two cowled wizard and the mage stands still, but if I talk to them (after dealing with the ruffians), the script runs perfectly.

Attached Files

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

The WeiDU.log isn't going to help us much here, I'm afraid. We'll need some --change-logs on the CREs causing this and maybe some saved games will help someone replicate it and figure out what's going on.

#17 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

This mage thing in AR0500 happened to me too. Nothing a holy Y didn't cure, though. Haven't had problems afterwards, but it happened today, so I'm not much further in the game.

I did try looking at the guys' scripts first (they seem to be the same for the mage and the 2 cowlies?), but I didn't get anywhere.
That's not too surprising, it's rare enough I actually fix something like this on my own.

The temple of Helm in the same district didn't give me any problems. Got in there with rep varying between 5 and 12, no hassle.
It's the place where Branwen can be found to grab along though. Could get messy with "a" Branwen in the party, but that's just me as a noob smelling something.

Attached Files

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae - J. Caesar, De Bello Gallico

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

Post your ar0500.bcs file from from your override. If it's biffed for some odd reason, extract it with NearInfinity or DLTCEP (bonus points for decompiling it).

Also, if you can figure out which creatures seem to be causing the issue, that might be useful. As may a saved game from right before this happening.

Edit: based on info in the BWP monster thread, someone should also post their d0cowsht.bcs, d0qpcow3.dlg, d0qpcow1.dlg files, and maybe do --change-logs on those too (see the pinned FAQ for instructions).

Edited by Miloch, 16 January 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#19 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:42 AM

Post your ar0500.bcs file from from your override. If it's biffed for some odd reason, extract it with NearInfinity or DLTCEP (bonus points for decompiling it).

Also, if you can figure out which creatures seem to be causing the issue, that might be useful. As may a saved game from right before this happening.

Edit: based on info in the BWP monster thread, someone should also post their d0cowsht.bcs, d0qpcow3.dlg, d0qpcow1.dlg files, and maybe do --change-logs on those too (see the pinned FAQ for instructions).

Hope I've got most of all that.
The savegame is just a screen away from the mage.

Attached Files

#20 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

The changelogs:

Attached Files