Photo

Known Issues v4.0 (post bug reports here)

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#61 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

The weapons merchant in the Hive's Market will not accept rings but have no qualms about bracelets and earrings.

#62 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

Something else that may come out of this... I -think- I found some wav files (staring with MALE and FEM) that would work quite well as dying sounds for normal humans, and there's enough of them that it won't be the same sound every time you kill something. Possibly something for the Restored Sounds and Banters component in the future :)

These should mostly be set up in ResData.ini (most animations have death sounds, and the monsters only have *thunk* fall sounds with death and battle cries set in the CRE files).

There are some CON_* strings set up in dialog.tlk that are labeled as townie damage and death sounds that appear unused (but the commoners all get sounds based on their animation, so I'm not sure it matters). Fhjull has another death sound than the one he currently uses (creature FJHUL sounds instead of his vocal FFT sounds). JBIRD10 is unused but looked more like intent (it already has another sound set up as its fidget sound, and this sound is *long*).

#63 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:13 AM

Yah, I just figured that out about RESDATA.INI. Okay, so looks like those are all covered then. I'll take a look at the things you just mentioned soon as I'm done implementing that huge bug list you gave me :)

Qwinn

#64 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Holy crap, yeah, the unequipped weapons thing is a HUGE bug. I just tested it out on Agril'shanak (demon in Carceri). Before the fix, he was doing 6-8 damage, after the fix, more like 12-26 (his weapon is 2d10 damage). He was a complete pushover before. And yeah, even if Trias never uses his sword (he doesn't for quite a while, he casts a lot of spells first), he'd still get 10% slashing resistance and +2 AC just for having it equipped. Wow. S'a big deal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 January 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#65 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

Heh, for those guys, I'd be more concerned that they can't actually hurt each other in Carceri (all they do is swipe at each other and keep the game in constant combat mode). ;) (Sadly, almost nobody in PST wields magic weapons outside the party, so they're all useless to attack each other.)

#66 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Heh, for those guys, I'd be more concerned that they can't actually hurt each other in Carceri (all they do is swipe at each other and keep the game in constant combat mode). ;)

I actually think that's by design. Both of them have dialogue in Carceri, but both were hostile to start with so you never got to see it. I made it so that, when one dies, the other goes neutral and can be talked to, which I strongly believe was the intent. So, they can't kill each other, -you- have to pick one and kill it, then you can talk to the other.

Qwinn

#67 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

Most Jumble's spells are spent (I can't tell if he got hit with the nerf bat, though; does it make Spell() fail in PST even)?

What does this mean? Looking at his CRE, it looks like he's got appropriate memorized spells for 5th level, what's he missing?

Qwinn

#68 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yuck, I won't be able to go through most of this, but I can spot a few things:

PFixpack.d - DForge.d the Damage(0x1060) really does work as 1d6 (I think this is the only place *Bones isn't total fail)
SkardFix.d - DMar.d really does want to GiveItemCreate() the coppers to "Mar" (he's creating it so you can kill him and get his bankrolls)
SkardFix.d - DMEngine.d, DMPortal.d - the dialogue says to take you to the Hive *near* Ragpicker's, not to Ragpicker's
QwinnFix.d - in the DMorte and DColYlFn exchange, those TakePartyGold() calls in Morte's dialogue won't do anything (heartbreaking, I know; I'm contemplating DestroyPartyGold() locally simply because you pretty much have to rewrite Yellow-Fingers (again) to make it work, but I just leave him broken for now)

0402ILQX.BAF - the Ilquix_At_Bar,0 block should have Internal(Myself,0,0) added to triggers, and the Barkis_Ready_Serve_Ilquix,1 block should have SetInternal(Myself,0,1) as its first action and SetInternal(Myself,0,0) as its last (or similar to the same effect): in the original, the SetInterrupt()s were used because Wait() is interruptible (meaning that when he set Ilquix_At_Bar back to 0, he would have immediately dumped his pending actions during that 90-second Wait() and switched to the Ilquix_At_Bar,0 block, causing him to stand at the bar forever). They did this to use the same variable to control Barkis' behavior (so he could serve Ilquix and then move back while Ilquix stayed at the bar drinking), so now that the SetInterrupt()s are removed (so he can respond to abishai Help()s), it needs something else to keep him from switching to the Ilquix_At_Bar,0 block prematurely (this won't keep him from breaking out of the long Wait(), but as long as the engine doesn't find anything else for him to do, his queue will be safe), which is what the "internal block" accomplishes.

#69 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

If you look at the memorized spell setup in NI, you'll see a field for Spell already cast (0) and Spell memorized (1); 0 indicates that the spell has already been cast (it's in your memorized spells but is not available until you rest and re-memorize it), like if you have one Magic Missile and cast it (it's grayed out in the spellbook and unavailable for casting). So the only spell Jumble currently has memorized (available for casting) is one Chromatic Orb (all the others are spent, and monster spells never re-memorize, so they're in effect simply unavailable).

If you look for similar issues, you'll see Ravel (intentional nerf to remove a second Heal) and TO (a bunch of junk spells that wouldn't matter anyway), Goncalves' two L1 spells (which don't matter since he doesn't cast any), and most Jumble's spells. It's possible Jumble was intentional, but the spells aren't that devastating, and his script still will try to cast them (and if it works like other IEs, it won't be able to).

#70 -cebru-

-cebru-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

Considering the difficulty of combat in PS:T, I'd say it is worthwhile to make all those spells available.

#71 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

If Jumble's spellcasting is failing because of that, I will restore his spells.

What makes you say Ravel's second heal was an intentional nerf? I always thought the fight with her was way too easy.

And bah, yeah, I knew TakePartyGold in a PC's dialogue was useless, I'll do what I can on that.

Gotta head out, be back in a while.

Qwinn

#72 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Now that I think about, I seem to recall Jumble maybe casting Elysium's Tears, so it's probably only hooked up to the HaveSpell() check (I'm pretty positive Ravel can only do her one Heal). I'd have to fire up Windows to check, though, which is a huge bother; it'd be easy to test if somebody has the game running just by smacking Jumble and seeing if he casts anything but a lonely Chromatic Orb (if so, then it's fine, and sorry for the noise).

As for Ravel, I believe it was intent (it's more likely to get both Heals wrong than just one right and one wrong, and it's not an unheard of method for shuffling spell lists in IE), but feel free to disagree and designate it a fix (certainly, I restore that second Heal locally to give her a bit more spark in the second-to-last battle of her life). But it just looks much too deliberate for me to consider that it wasn't intentional (just like I intentionally disregard whatever concern I believe they had when putting it back). ;)

In IE, See("ScriptName") returns dead objects (lucky for us, [] specs and most symbolics don't). This leads to total AI stink in 0301DAAt.bcs and 0301RAAt.bcs (if they see dead Blackrose, they'll forever try to attack him and ignore attacks from you), 1101Atta.bcs (this is brutally embarrassing when Fhjull dies and they just stand there pickin' boogers unless the party attacked them). These just need !Dead("ScriptName") added to the trigger lists to complement the See()s (you can also do the brothel scripts, but these will never really run when they're hostile, and they'd be hostile if you went after the patrons, so no effect; same with 0700CThg since everything else comes first).

In 0500Thok.bcs (this is another place where I remember seeing oddities with See()), I do the following but am not sure why I didn't just !Dead() (maybe the script name is generic?)
IF
Internal(Myself,0,1)
Global("KILL_SPECIAL_ABASHAI","KAPUTZ",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Attack("RED_ABISHAI")
END

IF
Internal(Myself,INTERNAL_0,0)
See("RED_ABISHAI")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetInternal("THORP",0,1)
SetInternal("GORT",0,1)
SetInternal("ZERB",0,1)
END
But they're never going to survive this attack anyway, so big deal.

#73 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

OK, a few more:

A portal in Trash Warrens didn't open the first time I walked near him. Had to leave and re-enter the area. Had the key on me the whole time, whatever it was.

Cleared the Warrens of Thought. Spawning behavior was strange: sometimes only spellcasting rat spawned instead of the whole group and sometimes their group was spawned after I walked around the room for a minute. In cases they were spawned together spellcasters appeared away from the group and were thus easily disposed of. Some wererats were completely oblivious to their surrounding, attacking my party only if we attacked them. The message about Many-as-One yielding appeared only for a second (though it might have been me noticing too late). How many rats I was supposed to slaughter to make him address me as 'genocide'? And how I was supposed to open the door to Dead Nations Catacombs (or whatever the area behind the Warrens is called)? After I defeated Many-as-One I was able to pick on his respawning wererats without making the rest hostile. I talked to them and immediately killed them and the rest just stood there looking. They did go hostile eventually, though.

Refused to submit to Hargrimm and had to kill all the undead. Soego was nowhere to be found (maybe because I cleared the Warrens first?) but his journal was still there, and TNO still checked if Soego was not around. :) We were not supposed to know that he was there at all, were we? Thus I propose that in case we can't find Soego in person, the journal should be made unaccessible. The trio of ghouls that always spawns near the entry is oblivious to their surroundings in the same way that wererats in the Warrens are.

Silent King's Royal Guards dealt about 2 points of damage to my characters per hit. Those flying heads in the catacombs were surprisingly weak, too. You might want to check if they are armed.

The Ghouls in the catacombs didn't seem to care about the bloodbath I caused at Dead Nations and were merrily chatting with me.

I've sent Annah to deal with the mage in the Tenements of Thugs. After the first blow he just stood there looking at my party for roughly 1 minute. His comrades were long dead when he remembered something and started to cast his first spell. What is the point of going for the key if one character is enough for the whole party to leave the area and you could just run through the bandits?

Edited by nevill, 19 January 2010 - 07:44 AM.

#74 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Jumble casts all his spells, so no change needed there.

Still working on the list. Once the list is done I'll address the stuff that's posted after, do please keep posting though.

Qwinn

#75 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Still working on the list. Once the list is done I'll address the stuff that's posted after, do please keep posting though.

Except going through my script or dialogue changes (if that ever happens), there shouldn't be much left to cover, luckily.

There's an exploit in Reekwind's dialogue (all his stories funnel to State 25 where he indiscriminately sets Know_Ignus_Teacher back to 1, allowing you to re-confront Ignus) before you solve his curse.

In 3017Cut1.bcs, the last CutsceneID() should target "LOWCTM3" ("LOWCTM2" is targeted twice, oops). This is the cause of the bug reported a while back that there's a lone body visible at the beginning of the dream.

DMach4.dlg - State 6 should be checking "Machine_4"

Ar1400.bcs - the first attempt to spawn in the vargouille's can't work until Prisoner_Movie is set (locally, I just remove the Current_Area set from that block and add a continue here and to Lothar portal), but I doubt it's an issue (depending on where that Exists() rect is, it may not even be possible to get to 1403 without trigger the second attempt spawn)

#76 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Here's one I just noticed myself... the Rubikon dungeon is easier on Normal setting than on Easy setting!

"Easy" constructs have weapons that do 1d8 damage.
"Hard" constructs have weapons that do 2d8 damage.

...and "Normal" difficulty constructs have no weapon at all. I'll be giving them 1d12 damage weaponry.

Qwinn

#77 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

I think the mediums were CMOD instead of CMED (CMED being unused), which already has his blade and RndTre01.

#78 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Doh, you're absolutely right. Oh good, I don't have to muck about with adding items to creatures then (yet, anyway).

I would've noticed that eventually, of course. :whistling:

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 January 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#79 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

- The timing mode for the global THAC0 bonus should be 2 (although, I don't know the engine ever considers these equipped, 4 is definitely wrong)

Could you explain this some more? What file should I be looking at?

You've sparked the probably vain hope that this is related to the Ice Knife problem.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 January 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#80 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

In Bolt08.itm, the "Timing mode" field for the global "Base THAC0 bonus" effect is currently set to 4 (Delay/permanent); now from a bolt, this probably isn't the end of the world (I don't know if the engine would ever bother to apply these), but it should be set to "While equipped" (2) -- the effect will only be applied while the item is equipped, and the effect is no longer granted when the item is taken off.

On a normal item, this would be horrible since you'd receive a permanent THAC0 bonus after equipping the item every time you equip it (and on the various occasions that the engine checks and reapplies effects). It's possible that this is boosting Nordom's THAC0 illegitimately (maybe when he successfully hits an enemy or fires one or something), but I really don't know how the engine will behave with this on an ammunition item, which is why it's not all doom-and-gloom. (It shouldn't dismiss it simply because the delay time is 0, but I'm not sure with PST.)

So, for this, it's basically 'READ_LONG 0x6a eo WRITE_BYTE eo + 0xc 0x2' and move on to the next item (not worth testing if it's actually buggy in the game since the timing mode is simply wrong). :)

The Ice Knife problem sounds like they're applying a THAC0 bonus effect but with the wrong mode, but this is all done in hardcode (part of the projectile) and would need an EXE patch.