Valkyrie Profile Soundsets

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FPK

FPK
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hello everyone!

I recently started putting together soundsets using the sound files from the PlayStation game Valkyrie Profile. So far I constructed a rough soundset using the voice of Lenneth Valkyrie, and everything seems to work well. It doesn't sound perfect, but I put it together in a matter of 2 hours.

Since the sound files are already in the .WAV format, the only real work to be done is to identify which sounds should be used for which in-game "action," and rename the VP sound files so that Baldur's Gate will recognize them.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Valkyrie Profile, it is one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs released for the PlayStation console, and considered one of the top games of its genre for its storytelling and gameplay depth. I wanted to bring some life of the VP characters into Baldur's Gate, both because I love the game and because the American voice actors did an excellent job.

A moderator, vilkacis, expressed interest in one of the soundsets (Arngrim), so I may do that one next.

I will update this thread sparsely in the coming weeks while I work on this. If anyone is interested in helping, shoot me a PM and I will tell you the details.
Posted Image

#2 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

Ooohh Valkyrie Profile! I love that game! All playable character soundsets are awesome and should be included! :D :D :D
Left the modding forums

#3 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

I'm all for IT SHALL BE ENGRAVED UPON YOUR SOUL as the "critical hit" sound. :devil:

Lenneth shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm not sure the others have enough suitable lines to make a full soundset. Especially the pick pocket/hide/trap set bits seem iffy. I think that's what ultimately made me give up on making my own VP soundsets. Back in 2005 or so. (Holy shit.)

...I remember the quality varying between clips, too - certain sounds are much more compressed than others, for... I have absolutely no idea what the reason could be.

#4 FPK

FPK
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

Lenneth shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm not sure the others have enough suitable lines to make a full soundset. Especially the pick pocket/hide/trap set bits seem iffy. I think that's what ultimately made me give up on making my own VP soundsets. Back in 2005 or so. (Holy shit.)

...I remember the quality varying between clips, too - certain sounds are much more compressed than others, for... I have absolutely no idea what the reason could be.

Yeah, unfortunately there isn't a wide range of sounds you can use that is "out of character" (Arngrim picking locks?) so I had to resort to re-using some sounds.

And yes, the some of the sounds that are used in battle are more compressed than the story mode ones. They probably did it to save memory on the PlayStation because the sounds would be played dozens of times (i.e. when hitting the enemy).

If one were so inclined, it is possible to take the sounds from the PSP version (which is just a re-release of the original VP) because they digitally re-mastered *some* of the audio and voiceovers.
Posted Image

#5 DrAzTiK

DrAzTiK
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hi,

Are yo aware about some others video games where we could "extract" sounds to make a soundset ?.

For exemple, I have created a "khelgar" soundset thanks to NWN2 recdently :) (but a french zsoundset)

ty

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Are yo aware about some others video games where we could "extract" sounds to make a soundset ?

Well, it should be possible for just about any PC games.

But what do you use to convert PS sounds? It might be interesting to pinch some stuff from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Try PSound or MF Audio.

#8 DrAzTiK

DrAzTiK
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have not tested BG dark alliance I& II. Is there some soundset like in baldur's gate (pc) ?

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

I have not tested BG dark alliance I& II. Is there some soundset like in baldur's gate (pc) ?

I don't know if it has sounds for every single slot but there should be enough to make a few decent soundsets. There are 3 playable characters in the first one (human archer, elf sorceress, dwarf fighter) or 4 if you unlock Drizzt. The second one has even more.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hey guys, it starts getting very interesting here :cheers: !
@FPK , good job buddy :D .
- In the Soundset Power We Trust :Bow: .

There are 3 playable characters in the first one (human archer, elf sorceress, dwarf fighter) or 4 if you unlock Drizzt.

In fact you can even unlock too : the assassin Artemis Entreri :ph34r: in Dark Alliance II .
(ahhh ... Robert Anthony Salvatore, you never walk alone ) ... :lol:

By the Way, Did you know the fact that there was a draft Baldur Gate I on psone ? hmmm ...? :doh: (CF: PSone Museum),

And this is a new build : Free Baldur's Gate for PLAYSTATION ! :hug:

& The Web Site Project : http://www.hidden-pa...g/?updates/c/31

P.S. : I should seriously interested in sound files of my 2 Dark Alliance Opus on Xbox ...

Edited by salomonkane, 13 April 2010 - 02:36 AM.

Quo Vadis ?