Dual Class Crash

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hey All,

Well my game has going rather smoothly (In terms of my previous issues not occurring), but a las I finally hit a minor snag, and wondering if anybody else has a possible fix to this. (Using BWS)

Basically, anytime i click on the dual-class option (At least only for Imoen, haven't tried anyone else yet, after I go about the process of selecting the spells , etc.., then go back into the game, I'll get an immediate CTD.

I guess I'll live without Imoen being a mage for now, but wondering if there's any fix or a work around to this issue if anyone has encountered this bug in the past.

Attached is my Weidu Log:

thanks,

Attached Files

Edited by mp84, 25 April 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

See if it happens with dualing to other classes or kits. Also see if you get any message back in the Baldur.err file after the crash (make sure you have Logging On=1 in your baldur.ini file).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

See if it happens with dualing to other classes or kits. Also see if you get any message back in the Baldur.err file after the crash (make sure you have Logging On=1 in your baldur.ini file).

ok, it may be difficult since the way my party is built, only Imoen can be dual-classed, as the others are either not human, or don't meet the requirements to be dual-classed.

I tried unequipping everything that she was wearing, but that didn't work either as it still crashed the moment I went to the live screen.

I have a feeling it may be linked to the spells she picks, because I noticed, if I pick different spells within the dual class screen, instead of getting the crash the moment I go back to the live screen, I'll get the crash the moment I hit done w/ the dual class screen. (So in otherwords it's instant)

Nevertheless, I'll turn on that logging option and report any findings on the error it gives tonight.

Curious, but is there any kind of console cheat I can do to get her Dual-Classed, or maybe not have the options to pick any spells (As I got a crap load of scrolls in my scroll case that I can just give to her)

thanks,

#4 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Just test some other dual classing options with your PC. Start some SoA games so you are level 8 and in character creation, give your character enough stats to dual. If you want to dual to mage, have INT at least 18, Thief>DEX 18, Cleric>WIS 18 and then dual-class them. Don't restrict your test to just party members :huh:
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#5 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

If you want to dual to mage, have INT at least 18

Hmm, can't check till I get home, but curious does INT have to be exactly 18 for dual class to work? Cause that may be the problem as Imoen's Int in my game is only 17, but the option is still selectable for her to dual-class though.

thanks,

Edited by mp84, 26 April 2010 - 11:54 AM.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

I think the prime stat has to be above 16 or something for duals. But test it with other duals like to cleric, not just mage. You can also SetCurrentXP with the console if you need more levels. It could well be a dodgy spell (though the question is, which one).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Well,

I just tried, as recommended, a new character, then Dual Classed him in BG 2, and it did not crash after I created it (Using the same spells of Arcane Missles and Identify) when I went back into the live screen, so this something pretty specific I guess.

Not sure if this helps, but here's is the error message (Not sure if it's related to the crash, but since this is really only the crash I've had thus far, I can only assume it's that)

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 12287

Exp: FALSE

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

thanks,

#8 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

Weird, I can't think of anything right away that would corrupt the creature file to crash on dual class. Can you do a changelog for the creature? IMOEN2 is the creature file that exists in the beginning of SoA and for BGT.

Edited by Hoppy, 26 April 2010 - 09:28 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:45 AM

If you want to dual to mage, have INT at least 18

Hmm, can't check till I get home, but curious does INT have to be exactly 18 for dual class to work? Cause that may be the problem as Imoen's Int in my game is only 17, but the option is still selectable for her to dual-class though.

The controlling fact here is the abdcsqrq.2da and abdcdsrq.2da tables in the game the general rule is that the first classes(the class the char is dualed from) primary stats needs to be above or 15(unless it has been changed by a mod, like this) and the second classes(the class the char is dualed to) needs to be above or 17, unless it has been changed. And from those tables you can see that you were actually supposed to be able to dual into a Kit.

Weird, I can't think of anything right away that would corrupt the creature file to crash on dual class. Can you do a changelog for the creature? IMOEN2 is the creature file that exists in the beginning of SoA and for BGT.

I would blame the TOBEX for this... just because. Unless the Imoens true class is not actually thief.

I have seen the character class on dual only when the game doesn't have a multi-classed stats for the classes the dualed character is made off, the game will definitely crash if you try to make combinations like Ranger-> Fighter, Ranger-> Mage etc, as the game only has Ranger/Cleric...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 April 2010 - 12:46 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

but why would he even be able to use the Dual-Class button if he weren't eligible (stat-wise, and 2da-wise)? Wouldn't it just have been greyed out, and unusable?

Maybe it's the female human mage animation or paper doll that it's trying to switch to that's corrupted.
BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:02 AM

but why would he even be able to use the Dual-Class button if he weren't eligible (stat-wise, and 2da-wise)? Wouldn't it just have been greyed out, and unusable?

Yes, but see mp84 needs the info what's required to be able to dual a character that's not Imoen to another class to see if the error is reproducibly with other combos...

#12 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

At work, so can't really do anything till I get back from work tonight, but I'm a little confused now.

What exactly should I try when I get back?

As mentioned, I tried to dual class a fighter to a mage (Using a new BG 2 Game instead), and that worked, I guess when I get back I'll try to dual class a female thief to a mage (again using a new game, because I'm not sure when I'll have another human party member to test this), to see if that's the problem as well.

But naturally if anyone else wants to me try something else, just let me know.

thanks,

Edited by mp84, 27 April 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#13 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

make sure it is human. let us know what happens.

Edited by AndrewB, 27 April 2010 - 10:08 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#14 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

make sure it is human. let us know what happens.

Just tried a new Thief, (Female, Human), and tried to dual class it into a Mage, and I crashed yet again even in a new BG 2 game.

So this most defiantly has to do with the female and male side of things for thieves only, since a Fighter/Mage (which was a male) was fine, I'm also going to try as my last test a Thief/Mage, but male, and see if it crashes then as well.

hope this helps if anyone is thinking about possible ideas to fix this.

In the end, I may have to live with this, and just wait till Imoen becomes a Mage/Thief in the 2nd game anyway, but naturally would like to see if there's a possible work around for strategic purposes for my party at the moment, hehe

Edit:

Ahh... It looks like it's also on the Male side of a Thief/Mage too, so basically any thief that I dual class to a mage, it will crash, again hope this further insight helps to what may be the problem.

thanks,

Edited by mp84, 27 April 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

In the end, I may have to live with this, and just wait till Imoen becomes a Mage/Thief in the 2nd game anyway, but naturally would like to see if there's a possible work around for strategic purposes for my party at the moment, hehe

Well, in the standard BWS-ed game Imoen doesn't auto-dual to become mage... you'll have to drop her from the party in the BG1 part to get the effect in BG2.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 28 April 2010 - 09:45 AM.

#16 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Well, in the standard BWS-ed game Imoen doesn't auto-dual to become mage... you'll have to drop her from the party in the BG1 part to get the effect...

Ya that's actually what I figured, and finally had a option to pick up another member (Coran I think), so went with him, and this way Imoen will at least be ready for the next part, since I'm not sure if there's a work around to this.

Luckily, this is the only problem for now (knocks on wood, hehe)

thanks,

#17 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

Can't you change her appearance with SK (fighter, vampire, whatever) and then dualclass her? :ph34r: (No idea if this works / makes sense.)

And... Did anybody mention this in the proper thread? Or knows what's going on so that it can be fixed?

Actually, I don't get this bug. Do you have errors / warnings in your Big World Project Debug?

Edited by Fennek, 28 April 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

Maybe it's the female human mage animation or paper doll that it's trying to switch to that's corrupted.

Unlikely, but remotely possible. An easy test would be just to create a human female mage from scratch (don't bother trying to dual class).

Now if a thief was dual-wielding at the time and the mage animation or paperdoll *can't* dual wield, I suppose that could in theory cause a crash. But I doubt that's the case since all sorts of folks would be reporting it even in the unmodded game.

Edit: here's another test. If you can create a human mage as above, then try leveling her up 1 level at a time with CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXp. Any time you get a spellbook selection and it crashes then, you can narrow it down to a particular spell level and hopefully a particular spell graphic. Try it with a sorceress instead of a mage (same animation I think, but gives you more spell access).

Edited by Miloch, 28 April 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#19 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Unlikely, but remotely possible. An easy test would be just to create a human female mage from scratch (don't bother trying to dual class).

Now if a thief was dual-wielding at the time and the mage animation or paperdoll *can't* dual wield, I suppose that could in theory cause a crash. But I doubt that's the case since all sorts of folks would be reporting it even in the unmodded game.

Edit: here's another test. If you can create a human mage as above, then try leveling her up 1 level at a time with CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXp. Any time you get a spellbook selection and it crashes then, you can narrow it down to a particular spell level and hopefully a particular spell graphic. Try it with a sorceress instead of a mage (same animation I think, but gives you more spell access).

The thing is, I was able to dual class a mage successfully, if I started as a fighter instead of a Thief with same initial spells and everything that was crashing for the thief, but not the fighter. Plus, in my tests for the thief dual class, I completely stripped the character, so he/she was wearing no items.

Honestly, I think it seems to be specific to the Thief dual-class option, because it crashes on either Male or Female, the more and more I think about it, the more I see a paper-doll transition issue between a Thief to a Mage when it's dual classed. (I'm not even sure if that's possible or makes any sense though) So, is there any console cheat I could use that can dual class the character without going through that dual class screen itself?

In the end I think this must be some fluke bug, I was very careful in picking what to install, I did not want to do the minimal installation, but at the same time I wanted some of the nicer expansion mods too, and ironically, it has been my best playthrough so far in terms of that this was the only crash I've experienced. As for example, I had that huge game killer rest bug (where anytime I would rest, it would crash the game, another rare bug that no one seems to get, lol), and it seems to gone. (Although I am very careful in creating multiple saves, so perhaps that's helping too, but who knows..)

Also, as for the Debug question in the BWS, I'm sorry, going through all those files is really hard for me to understand, therefore, I attached it (compressed format) to see if anyone would like to take a look at my BWS Debug.txt for those more seasoned towards those kind of files and pinpointing issues.

Naturally, this is not game-breaker, but I do appreciate all the help with this, so thank you :)

Attached Files

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

Honestly, I think it seems to be specific to the Thief dual-class option, because it crashes on either Male or Female, the more and more I think about it, the more I see a paper-doll transition issue between a Thief to a Mage when it's dual classed. (I'm not even sure if that's possible or makes any sense though) So, is there any console cheat I could use that can dual class the character without going through that dual class screen itself?

Eh, not really but you could make/edit such a character with Shadowkeeper or whatever. If both the thief/mage paperdolls/avatars work and you're not wielding any odd weapons or anything, then it's unlikely to be related to those. But you could have two conflicting versions of the avatar-switching components installed maybe (I didn't check your WeiDU.log).