Photo

Corrupted .BAM?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

During the addon quest "Help for the town of Anegh", after collecting the dragon protection scroll and being moved to the next area, I'm receiving "An Assertion failed in ChVidImage.cpp at line number 1921 Programmer says: .BAM is corrupted (GetFrame() failed)" during the cutscene.

Attached File  Weidu.log   52.38K   265 downloads

Attached File  Baldur,ERR.log   3.46K   277 downloads
Please note that Baldur.err has been renamed to "Baldur,ERR.log" since it says I can't upload it as Baldur.err.

Edited by Inaia, 24 June 2010 - 07:55 AM.

Never assume I'm done editing a post =^.^=

Real life? Never heard of it....is it worth downloading?

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

I guess someone will have to dig into the Anegh mod and see which BAM is hosed. I think its main forum is on rosenranken.eu or some other German site.

Do you recall which creature or item was giving you this message a few sessions back?
ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjAnimation.cpp
Line: 23887

Exp: bAttackProb[0] == TRUE || bAttackProb[1] == TRUE || bAttackProb[2] == TRUE
It means a weapon has invalid overhead/backhand/thrust animation values (and is probably unrelated to the corrupted BAM issue). The other time I've seen it recently is with Osmadi's equipped club from DSotSC but I posted a fix for that in the DS forum (which I think is now in the BWFixpack).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

I guess someone will have to dig into the Anegh mod and see which BAM is hosed. I think its main forum is on rosenranken.eu or some other German site.

Do you recall which creature or item was giving you this message a few sessions back?

ASSERTION FAILED!

It means a weapon has invalid overhead/backhand/thrust animation values (and is probably unrelated to the corrupted BAM issue). The other time I've seen it recently is with Osmadi's equipped club from DSotSC but I posted a fix for that in the DS forum (which I think is now in the BWFixpack).

That error was given when I was attempting to enter the floating castle in whichever mod comes after the Irenicus fight. Seems to be about Cyric and a graying of the world, since he's absorbing the world's power. You return to Candlekeep, go to (Icewind Dale?) and fight a bunch of demons, return to Suldanesselar, then go to a new map and eventually wind up being teleported to a floating castle. When I'd try to enter the castle, it would get stuck at 100% Loading. More details on this available at my post here ---> http://www.shsforums...post__p__490561

While waiting for a response/fix/workaround for it, I'd avoided the quest and did other ones, but now I'm stuck at Anegh and can't return to Amn without CLUA, and I'd really rather not warp out in the middle of a quest. Also, I don't have a recent save before taking the Anegh quest, as you HAVE to accept or the NPC leaves, and if you accept, he instantly warps you to Anegh without a chance to save.

Edited by Inaia, 24 June 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

If you can find some actual area and creature codes (such as ar2800.are, hosed.cre or whatever) that will help, otherwise it's tough to know exactly where to look without replicating exactly what you're trying to do (which is pretty much impossible for me, maybe not for the mod authors if you can locate them). There may be some tips on how to get those resource codes in the pinned megamod FAQ. After you get them, you can do a --change-log to figure out which mod they're from if necessary (also described there).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

For the Anegh quest:

Hmmm, I'll try. The problem is that the map I'm crashing on doesn't give me a chance to CLUA, since upon loading it shows a chapter story/summary, then goes direct into a cutscene, whereupon it crashes DURING the cutscene when some(one?/thing?) attempts to spawn via Dimension Door. I CAN get the map you get there from, though...lemme collect its data. Also, this mod is likely among the Recommended ones (I did a Recommended+ install), so if you did a Standard or Recommended+ install, you'd probably be able to replicate it easily by getting the quest from the Mage NPC (Nomoran) at the southern tunnel exit of Waukeen's Promenade.

The map you warp to the problem area from is ZCAVE5. To get to the problem area, you have to kill the Dragon trainer, loot the dragon protection scroll, ID it, and return to the game screen.

Edited by Inaia, 24 June 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

ASSERTION FAILED!

That error was given when I was attempting to enter the floating castle in whichever mod comes after the Irenicus fight. Seems to be about Cyric and a graying of the world, since he's absorbing the world's power. You return to Candlekeep, go to (Icewind Dale?) and fight a bunch of demons, return to Suldanesselar, then go to a new map and eventually wind up being teleported to a floating castle. When I'd try to enter the castle, it would get stuck at 100% Loading. More details on this available at my post here ---> http://www.shsforums...post__p__490561

That is The Darkest Day and I will need area number please. Since it is a Big World Project type of install, my help may not be the best.

Can you CLUA to areas ARPO25, ARPO27 and ARPO28 first? I will check the creatures too to see what's up.

EDIT: I cannot reproduce with a quick install of TDD 1.13 with G3 fixpack although there is always the crash in ARPO28 with a ChVidPoly error and that is whole other story since the very first version.

Sorry I cannot be more help but creatures may have been messed up by something else an these are in the first area inside of the castle.

CreateCreature("DDPLOTA4",[977.249],0) // Manifest Shadow
		CreateCreature("DDmanarc",[940.217],0) // Manifest Archer
		CreateCreature("DDmanarc",[1033.249],0) // Manifest Archer
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[608.393],3) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[488.432],4) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[517.465],5) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[545.415],14) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[428.433],15) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[1105.578],0) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[938.584],1) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[896.718],13) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[1027.720],3) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[926.800],4) // Manifest Peasant
		CreateCreature("DDmanpea",[789.595],5) // Manifest Peasant

Edited by Hoppy, 24 June 2010 - 08:11 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#7 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

The Darkest Day (TDD)
ARPO25: Started BG2. Perfect warp with no errors shown.

ARPO27: Showed full load screen, then became 50% load and stuck, had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close BG2. If this is the area that I mentioned in my other posts, then it's behaving differently now. If not, then there's 2+ areas messed up.

ARPO28: Restarted BG2. Perfect warp with no errors shown.

ARPO25 again: Warped back to ARPO25 from ARPO28 and attempted to enter the castle. It fully loaded, then flashed, reloaded, and stuck at 100% again, so I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close BG2. My guess is that ARPO25 leads to ARPO26, though I didn't attempt a CLUA warp using ARPO26.

Updated log:
Attached File  Baldur,ERR.log   4.08K   269 downloads

----

Creatures:

CreateCreature("DDPLOTA4") // Manifest Shadow: Perfect spawn, immediately starts its dialog.

CreateCreature("DDmanarc") // Manifest Archer: Doesn't spawn; freezes BG2 upon pressing ENTER after entering the command. Requires Ctrl+Alt+Del to close BG2.

CreateCreature("DDmanpea") // Manifest Peasant: Perfect spawn, hostile.

Updated log:
Attached File  Baldur,ERR.log   4.37K   256 downloads

Edited by Inaia, 24 June 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

CreateCreature("DDmanarc") // Manifest Archer: Doesn't spawn; freezes BG2 upon pressing ENTER after entering the command. Requires Ctrl+Alt+Del to close BG2.

Well, the problem is its weapon ddmansh2.itm. Where do we begin with this. The main problem is it has an undefined animation sequence. The 3 fields in the extended header for melee animation (overhand, backhand and thrust) should add up to 100 - currently they're all zero as I suspected. I would just set the overhand to 100. But it's not really a melee weapon, is it - it's coded as a "bow" (the creature is an archer after all). So that header should probably be projectile instead of melee, ranged damage (the range is set to 20 which DLTCEP reports as invalid for a "melee" weapon). It needs the two-handed flag set and the magic flag might as well be set, since the magic level and damage bonus are both 5. On top of that, one of the equipped effects (colour by RGB) is set to permanent - should be "while equipped" as should all equipped effects. This is most likely what's causing arpo27 to crash - not sure about the other areas.

#9 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

Alrighty, now you might as well be speaking Orcish, as I haven't a clue how to edit the files, lol. I never got past QBasic in terms of scripting/programming....mainly, I only tinker with easy-to-understand INI files and program settings, and if that can't solve the problem, I look at programs that can do it for me. I suppose there must be tuts and such out there, might as well make an effort to learn if I'm gonna attempt a massive, full-scale Faerun via mods. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed...I'd *really* hoped a Recommended install meant at least mostly free of game-breaker bugs.

Anyway, thanks for all the help...If I don't just reinstall BWP and replace TDD with SoS (and pray nothing else goes wrong), I'll fix up the file soon, maybe. Honestly, I'm less concerned about it not working, than I am about WHY it's not working. If we knew what broke it, then someone could improve compatibility, perhaps.

Slightly off-topic: I'm honestly surprised I didn't run into broken stuff before killing Irenicus, though I didn't use any custom NPCs in my party until BG2, and even the one I did let join didn't have obvious bugs.

On a side note, I *really* wish BWP didn't take so long to install. I'd love to do multiple runs through BG-BG2 TOB, each time adding another mod, so as to test compatibility and report bugs, but it takes forever and is a pain in the arse.

Edited by Inaia, 25 June 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

Well, that spiel was mainly for Hoppy so he can change it... assuming he understands it :P. The only thing I think that *needs* to be changed to avoid the crash is the weapon animation (set "overhead" to 100) which is easy enough to fix in either DLTCEP or Near Infinity. If he doesn't get to it, I'll do it eventually. I am surprised that wasn't caught before either, because it makes the area pretty much unreachable, and should also be 100% reproduceable unless someone changes the weapons. Edit: actually it might only happen if those guys get BG1 animations, such as from Infinity Animations, but it's still a bug in the weapons, and DLTCEP will report it as such.

I did write a scanner that goes through and fixes these kinds of problems. There's several other weapons like that, though none in the TDD space that I see offhand, except ddrave06.itm, which, oddly, is a potion coded as a mace (with an invalid melee header animation). Not sure if that's even used though.

It is easy enough to add mods one at a time if you want to test them - you don't need the BWS for that. Just make a BGT install with the patches, and maybe minimal mods (though sometimes even the base ones like Fixpack change). Then keep that on an external disk, DVD or just a separate folder and you can copy it, add SoS, test that, copy it again, add TDD, etc. Doesn't usually take long at all to install a mod or two.

Edited by Miloch, 25 June 2010 - 12:42 AM.

#11 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Heh, I found a good way....I'd kept the downloads from when I'd installed BWP, so all I had to do was restore my backup, uncheck the buggy / undesirable mods, and run another modified Recommended install. Went quite quickly, as there were only a small handful of mods I didn't already have.

Edit: I also figured out which of those supremely annoying mods lowered all my exp and made sure to uncheck them =^.^=

Edited by Inaia, 25 June 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well, that spiel was mainly for Hoppy so he can change it... assuming he understands it :P. The only thing I think that *needs* to be changed to avoid the crash is the weapon animation (set "overhead" to 100) which is easy enough to fix in either DLTCEP or Near Infinity. If he doesn't get to it, I'll do it eventually. I am surprised that wasn't caught before either, because it makes the area pretty much unreachable, and should also be 100% reproduceable unless someone changes the weapons. Edit: actually it might only happen if those guys get BG1 animations, such as from Infinity Animations, but it's still a bug in the weapons, and DLTCEP will report it as such.

I did write a scanner that goes through and fixes these kinds of problems. There's several other weapons like that, though none in the TDD space that I see offhand, except ddrave06.itm, which, oddly, is a potion coded as a mace (with an invalid melee header animation). Not sure if that's even used though.

It is easy enough to add mods one at a time if you want to test them - you don't need the BWS for that. Just make a BGT install with the patches, and maybe minimal mods (though sometimes even the base ones like Fixpack change). Then keep that on an external disk, DVD or just a separate folder and you can copy it, add SoS, test that, copy it again, add TDD, etc. Doesn't usually take long at all to install a mod or two.

Then it is an incompatibility and will have to wait.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I posted a fix here if you want to give TDD another try. As for the first issue you posted about, hopefully you can get in touch with someone who knows the Anegh mod. I think there's either a thread for it here or an English one on whichever German forum hosts it.

#14 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Cool, I'll file it away for future use, along with a note. Might be useful to have around....I just finished re-installing BWP earlier, minus the large mods. If I can get through the entire game without CTDs, I'll start adding major mods again.

Edit: If this error truly was 100% reproducible, I question why it hasn't been noticed or fixed earlier....surely I'm not the only person with TDD installed by BWP, as it's installed by default with a Recommended / Standard install.

Edit: Never mind, just noticed that Hoppy called it an incompatibility. Wonder which mod(s) caused it, then? Ah well...the important thing is the fix, I suppose. Guess it'll have to be added to next installer for TDD, though I wouldn't know how to do that >_<

Edited by Inaia, 25 June 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

It's not just an incompatibility, it's also a bug and one DLTCEP will report as such. It might not always cause a crash on some installs, but that's no excuse for not fixing it :P.

It could've been IA that triggered it, like I said. If you really want to know, look at your ddmanarc.cre with an editor (Near Infinity or DLTCEP) and see which animation it has. But it doesn't really matter, because that item should fix the problem regardless of whichever animation the CRE wielding it has. There was something similar with a borked DSotSC item that I mentioned earlier (which was fixed the same way).

#16 -Zeb-

-Zeb-

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the insight you provided. As soon as you posted what was wrong with the area, I was able to use near infinity to correct it, and continue play.