Photo

Kobold Captains of Doom

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

Had a bit of a problem that I've tracked down to Aurora's Kobold Commando module interacting with BGSpawn.

The Kobold Captains KOBCAP01.CRE and KOBCAP02.CRE are being given an AROW06.ITM and an AROW10.ITM. The problem is that in my installation AROW06.ITM is an arrow of detonation.

This arrow has a particularly debilitating effect on its victims as, upon impact, it explodes into a huge ball of fire and shrapnel affecting all within the area.

STATISTICS:

Damage:  1D6
Damage type:  missile (piercing)
Special:  6D6 explosion upon impact (save vs. spell for half)
Weight: 0
Launcher:  Bow
Not usable by:
Cleric
Druid
Mage

My party is levels 1 and 2, so arrows of detonation simply wipe us out. It seems excessive for the road to Nashkel.

I suspect that you did not expect them to turn up so early, but they're being used in BGSpawn. Or maybe it was an unintended typo and they're supposed to have arrows of fire anyway.

I'm sorted now, having removed the arrow of doom from the Kobolds, but I thought you might want to take BGSpawn into account. (Or maybe BGSpawn could make its own unique version of the Kobold Captains to avoid this being an issue).

Edited by Arkenor, 12 September 2010 - 04:32 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

I suspect that you did not expect them to turn up so early, but they're being used in BGSpawn.

Or you could just not install the mod that changes the original fire arrows(AROW06.ITM) to arrow of detonation ... probably the KonTwk_vX's component y. Try --change-log -ging the file to find the responsible mod for that.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:02 AM

I suspect that you did not expect them to turn up so early, but they're being used in BGSpawn.

Or you could just not install the mod that changes the original fire arrows(AROW06.ITM) to arrow of detonation ... probably the KonTwk_vX's component y. Try --change-log -ging the file to find the responsible mod for that.

Umm, aren't Arrows of Fire AROW08.ITM? Just like Aurora gives to all the other kobolds it changes. Though I'm sure you've checked that before posting.

I did. In my unmodded BG2 install, AROW06.ITM is still an arrow of detonation. It also is in an unmodded BG1 install.

Edited by Arkenor, 12 September 2010 - 04:06 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

The Kobold Captains KOBCAP01.CRE and KOBCAP02.CRE are being given an AROW06.ITM and an AROW10.ITM. The problem is that in my installation AROW06.ITM is an arrow of detonation.

Some other mod prior to Aurora (the Undying's "Harder Enemies" component apparently) gives them in fact 6 arrows of detonation (arow06) and 20 arrows of piercing (arow10). So in effect, the Aurora kobold component nerfs this to 1 and 2 of those, respectively. Though, truth be told, it does this regardless of whatever other mods are installed.

I guess I could change the arow06 to a different type of arrow, like an arrow of dispelling (arow07) or biting (arow12).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Some other mod prior to Aurora (the Undying's "Harder Enemies" component apparently) gives them in fact 6 arrows of detonation (arow06) and 20 arrows of piercing (arow10). So in effect, the Aurora kobold component nerfs this to 1 and 2 of those, respectively. Though, truth be told, it does this regardless of whatever other mods are installed.

I guess I could change the arow06 to a different type of arrow, like an arrow of dispelling (arow07) or biting (arow12).

Ahh. I'm not actually using the Undying. It didn't sound like my sort of mod. So it's an addition for me, rather than a subtraction.

Sadly, one arrow of detonation is all it takes when you're level 1 or 2. I can only imagine how utterly horrible it would be if they had 6 of them. Maybe you could check to see if Undying is installed, and have a different arrows if it's not?

Edited by Arkenor, 12 September 2010 - 08:08 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Maybe you could check to see if Undying is installed, and have a different arrows if it's not?

I guess, though if one were misguided enough to install the Undying after Aurora, you'd have the former's creatures anyhow, as it overwrites them. Must be some folks who play with BGSpawn and the Undying (but not Aurora) and get their arses handed to them...

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Maybe you could check to see if Undying is installed, and have a different arrows if it's not?

I guess, though if one were misguided enough to install the Undying after Aurora, you'd have the former's creatures anyhow, as it overwrites them. Must be some folks who play with BGSpawn and the Undying (but not Aurora) and get their arses handed to them...

I would say that, as a BG2 mod, it's rather unfortunate that Undying's "Harder Monsters" component is balancing BG1 monsters (that also appear in BG2) for a high level party. I guess it's not really designed to be used with BGT.

Anyhows, nothing we can do about that, but maybe you could just scrap those nasty arrows of detonation altogether if they were never intended for use on a BG1 party anyway. The BWP installer doesn't install the harder enemies component by default (according to the PDF).

Edited by Arkenor, 12 September 2010 - 08:47 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#8 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

Honestly i'm not willing to change or touch original creatures. My mod adds those cre and in my game they don't get any arrows of detonation honestly,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Honestly i'm not willing to change or touch original creatures. My mod adds those cre and in my game they don't get any arrows of detonation honestly

It's not a BGSpawn issue - don't know why it was reported there.

(BGSpawn was, however, one of the reasons for Aurora's "Realistic Random Treasures" component and eventually this one too, because folks were getting too much loot like magic scrolls on hobgoblin captains who should otherwise be rare and/or have no magic scrolls.)

#10 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

Honestly i'm not willing to change or touch original creatures. My mod adds those cre and in my game they don't get any arrows of detonation honestly

I reported it there, because if I hadn't, someone would probably have found fault with me for that too. And BGSpawn IS involved in the issue I was experiencing, even it if it blameless, so I don't consider that it was wrong of me to let Melkor know about it.

Edited by Arkenor, 14 September 2010 - 04:31 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

I reported it there, because if I hadn't, someone would probably have found fault with me for that too.

Why? Only, possibly, if it turned out to be a BGSpawn issue, but I've conceded it's an Aurora issue. I assume mm75 posted here because of the report in his thread, but there's nothing he needs to do about it. It's fine being reported here; I'll fix for the next release (this should go without saying unless I've said I won't fix it :)).

#12 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

I reported it there, because if I hadn't, someone would probably have found fault with me for that too.

Why? Only, possibly, if it turned out to be a BGSpawn issue, but I've conceded it's an Aurora issue.

I posted the link to this thread in the BGSpawn thread at the same time that I posted the OP to this thread. So I had no idea what your response was going to be, or any certainty over what the root cause was. Even if I had known what your response would be, I would still have informed him of this thread.
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#13 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

(BGSpawn was, however, one of the reasons for Aurora's "Realistic Random Treasures" component and eventually this one too, because folks were getting too much loot like magic scrolls on hobgoblin captains who should otherwise be rare and/or have no magic scrolls.)

Yup and that's why your mod is a must in any installation i believe :Bow:

Don't worry Arkenor, i just wanted to say that i'm not willing to change the cre files because it was not a BGSpawn issue, it's not a problem u reported that in BGSpawn forum.

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn