Photo

Map Names

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Era

Era
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

The names for some of the vanilla areas have been changed for some reason. Anyone know what and why it was changed? Places such as Wyrm's Crossing has been changed to 'Bridge to Baldur's Gate' and 'Red Canyons' to 'Zombie Resort'.

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

The names for some of the vanilla areas have been changed for some reason. Anyone know what and why it was changed? Places such as Wyrm's Crossing has been changed to 'Bridge to Baldur's Gate' and 'Red Canyons' to 'Zombie Resort'.

I know the only mod that changes those is the Worldmap mod. I don't know if it does it for both Original and Revised travel times or why it is engineered this way.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#3 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

"Bridge to Baldur's Gate" and "Zombie Retreat" are the names provided by BGT for those two areas.

#4 Era

Era
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

That explains it, thanks.

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

"Bridge to Baldur's Gate" and "Zombie Retreat" are the names provided by BGT for those two areas.

:blink:

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm sorry, what? Those names are - to put this delicately - awful. :wacko:
Two names, one of which is firmly established in canon, changed into something generic and immersion breaking, surely thou art jesting?

#7 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

Have a look at "BGT/worldmap/SomeLanguage/worldmap.tra" and you'll see.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

I think whoever took down the names didn't actually know them, so just guessed.

@BGT_781023 = "Bridge###to###Baldur's###Gate"
@BGT_781037 = "Zombie###Retreat"

What's funny is that some of the translators were wiser than that:

@BGT_781023 = "Paso###del###Dragón"
@BGT_781037 = "Cañones###Colorados"

Meaning "Pass of the Dragon" and "Red Canyons" in Spanish (Castilian), which I'm assuming is how the canon names are translated.

Obviously something to be fixed, in English anyway.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

I think whoever took down the names didn't actually know them, so just guessed.

@BGT_781023 = "Bridge###to###Baldur's###Gate"
@BGT_781037 = "Zombie###Retreat"

What's funny is that some of the translators were wiser than that:

Funny. They actually never had any names:
Posted Image <_< <-click the, if you wish to know where that's from.

Meaning "Pass of the Dragon" and "Red Canyons" in Spanish
Obviously something to be fixed, in English anyway.

Well... I suppose those could be the names. But, but...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 08 December 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

Funny. They actually never had any names

Maybe not on the original BG map, but it *says* Wyrm's Crossing right on the bridge:
ar0900.gif
As for Red Canyons and the like, that may have come from Dudleyville or something. But's it's also the name Tutu uses. And also it's a much better name than "Zombie Retreat" (and describes the area better geographically rather than by just some of its spawns).

I have to say the Tutu worldmap wins over the BGT worldmap with labels like that.
Posted Image

#11 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have to say the Tutu worldmap wins over the BGT worldmap with labels like that.

Well, the Tutu names aren't perfect either. Take "Dryad Falls" as an example. The landmarks on the map say "Cloud Peak Mountains" but "Dryad Falls" obviously references the two quests on the map. Edit: but at least Tutu has the excuse that AR5300 also has a landmark saying "Cloud Peak Mountains."

Edited by Wisp, 08 December 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

Well, the Tutu names aren't perfect either. Take "Dryad Falls" as an example. The landmarks on the map say "Cloud Peak Mountains" but "Dryad Falls" obviously references the two quests on the map. Edit: but at least Tutu has the excuse that AR5300 also has a landmark saying "Cloud Peak Mountains."

Yeah, the problem with calling any area the Cloud Peaks, is that mountain range actually covers a huge swatch of territory from the coast to far east of Nashkel. So everything on the Dudley map from "Bear River" and the Gnoll Stronghold to the "Valley of the Tombs". Actually spans more territory east of Nashkel than west.
scmap01.gif
The area that's the best candidate for that name would be what Dudley calls the "Gibberling Mountains". Clearly this is territory in the Cloud Peaks, and I'm not aware of an alternate name for the range. The other areas aren't really "mountainous" (or even "peakish") at all, with the possible exception of what Dudley calls "Fire Leaf Forest" which has a few ridges (but is mostly forest). Possibly that area should be "The Fangs" though that's probably a bit further south in clearly mountainous territory.

Dryad Falls is rather spoilerish, but the only really distinctive feature of the area is the waterfall. I think I would call it "Speartop Falls" or something, since it seems to be around Mt. Speartop judging from the FR Atlas:
scmap02.gif
You'll get no arguments from me that the Tutu (and really the BG1) map is messed up. Clearly, Durlag's Tower should be due east of Beregost, not Nashkel, and Ulgoth's Beard is west of Baldur's Gate, not east.
volomap1.gif
Someone should do a "canon" worldmap, or try to make the labels a little better anyway. Maybe a component of the Worldmap mod? Though I suppose some folks wouldn't want to download that monster just to fix the labels, if they don't want the full worldmap.

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Someone should do a "canon" worldmap, or try to make the labels a little better anyway.

Well I took a stab at that. I ended up preserving a lot of the Dudley labels, because I couldn't think of better names or find any canon references to the areas. Plus the Dudley labels have been around so long, they're practically canon (unless they contradict it).

I reconsidered Dryad Falls. "Speartop Falls" on second thought, isn't that great, because Mt. Speartop is one of the highest peaks in the realms and has an ancient white dragon lairing in it. Obviously that has to be some distance southwest yet, since the "Dryad Falls" area isn't mountainous at all (and the only thing lairing in it is a dire wolf and a cat :D). Yeah, there's a dryad there, but that's not exactly a secret if a couple of dimwitted thugs are after her.

On the other hand, I did change some things that struck me as a bit silly. "Archaeological Site" for example... I don't know if archaeology exists as a science in the FR (though Safana refers to herself as one) but even so, an archaeological site wouldn't be called "Archaeological Site" so a better label would be "Caves of Kozah" according to in-game references. The road between Beregost and Nashkel is now properly the Trade Way. The farms on the River Chionthar are designated geographically. "Spider Wood" and "Mutamin's Garden" are now properly in the Wood of Sharp Teeth (has anyone ever noticed the "teeth" sticking up in the waste south of Mutamin?). Cloakwood labels are a little less spoilerish. Other labels are open to suggestion, though I don't know if I'll end up coding this if there isn't much interest.
bgrevmap.gif

#14 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Bravo Miloch!
I think the names are just perfect, and I can't believe this hasn't been corrected/adjusted/tuned before this. Names are good, both in step with lore, actual geography and also rids the silly spoilerish names. My favorites are the changes to the areas on the River Chiontar, the Wood of Sharp Teeth and Caves of Kozah (really, "archaeological site"? I don't see the peasants referring to anything as an archaeological site ...).
:Bow:

PS. If there isn't enough feedback to convince you to code this, I'll be happy to spoof a half-dozen users and praise you ;) D.S

Edited by Dakk, 10 December 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#15 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just a cosmetic note. I would change "Shipwreck's Coast" to "Shipwreck Coast".

#16 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

Bravo Miloch!
I think the names are just perfect, and I can't believe this hasn't been corrected/adjusted/tuned before this. Names are good, both in step with lore, actual geography and also rids the silly spoilerish names. My favorites are the changes to the areas on the River Chiontar, the Wood of Sharp Teeth and Caves of Kozah (really, "archaeological site"? I don't see the peasants referring to anything as an archaeological site ...).
:Bow:

PS. If there isn't enough feedback to convince you to code this, I'll be happy to spoof a half-dozen users and praise you ;) D.S

Well BGT and the Worldmap mod both used Yakomo's worldmap which in turn was inspired from CBisson's worldmap from the original Check the Bodies. Probably the renaming was used from Yakomo's additions or other contributors.

Anyway, I am partial to Archaelogical Site like the Tutu win. :lol:

And this wins too

Just a cosmetic note. I would change "Shipwreck's Coast" to "Shipwreck Coast".

Edited by Hoppy, 10 December 2010 - 03:02 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

Yes, I like those names better too...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'll see if I can code something up - the tough part will be making it compatible with BGT, Tutu *and* the Worldmap mod, but all it really would need is just some conditional STRING_SETting I'd guess.

While I'm here, does anyone know of a canon location or name for "Ice Island"? It'll probably just remain "Ice Island" as I don't think it's big enough to be a named island in the Moonshaes or anything... probably just some uncharted island like Balduran's Isle.

#19 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

the tough part will be making it compatible with BGT, Tutu *and* the Worldmap mod, but all it really would need is just some conditional STRING_SETting I'd guess.

I'd code it with SAY and maybe REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on "Worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra"

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

maybe REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on "Worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra"

That would only work if the Worldmap hasn't yet been installed though, aye? It might make more sense as a post-install sort of fix (otherwise the labels might get overwritten by who knows what).