Photo

compatibility with FFT?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

Can anyone confirmed compatibility with Fishing For Trouble? It looks like the mod author disconfirmed taking any extra steps to make it compatibile but it might work maybe

Edited by smeagolheart, 20 February 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:43 AM

Due to the way BP-BGT Worldmap is designed it will delete FFT from the worldmap (which I suspect renders FFT non-functional) if it's installed after FFT. If you install FFT after Worldmap, the map icons will be completely screwed up (either the FFT or the other icons will have the wrong appearance and the FFT icons will probably be located up by the High Forest, or in that general vicinity), But it might be half-way playable.

(One or my more long-term-ish goals is to fix Worldmap, but it won't happen overnight).

#3 -maximus-

-maximus-

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

"If you install FFT after Worldmap, the map icons will be completely screwed up (either the FFT or the other icons will have the wrong appearance and the FFT icons will probably be located up by the High Forest, or in that general vicinity)"

Wow, thanks for warning Wisp. I was tempted to just add to the end of my install, since it just came out. My game (about to go to Spellhold) and months of play would have been hosed. :o

@smeagolheart- your sig makes me laugh everytime. Yeah, about that....Good movie.

#4 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Yeah if you sit and watch it, it will give most of the speech (the avatar). It is still true today as it was years ago when the movie came out (I have to work next weekend haha boo.)

Thanks for the heads up for FFT... The mod sounds great will wait though on the compatibility *crosses fingers*

Edited by smeagolheart, 20 February 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

The mod sounds great will wait though on the compatibility *crosses fingers*

Maybe you should fill out a TPS report on that...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

smeagolheart

The mod sounds great will wait though on the compatibility *crosses fingers*

Yovaneth (link)

If anyone wants to make FFT compatible with any megamod or the worldmap mod then I give them full permission to do so, but I won't be doing it.

It looks easy to add compatibility, but unfortunately I never modded anything. Tried a little bit, modified tra file, but stuck on areas file (coordinates). I suck... :-(

Edited by Mad Mate, 21 February 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#7 vali

vali
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

It looks easy to add compatibility, but unfortunately I never modded anything. Tried a little bit, modified tra file, but stuck on areas file (coordinates). I suck... :-(

I'll go ahead and second mad mate. I'd love to see FFT added to the worldmap mod (and the BiG world installer). If summer break comes around and it still hasn't been done, I'll learn how to mod and try to do it myself.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Just curious, Wisp - can this be done without overhauling the Worldmap mod? How much code would it take?

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Wouldn't it be enough if FFT appended to the worldmap tables like the Big Mods do?

EDIT: actually, the SC#ADD_WMP_ARE that is shipped with WeiDU should append to the worldmap tables as well (so that mods that use that function are automatically compatible with the WMP mod). Where would I need to look at to see the description for those tables?

Edited by the bigg, 22 February 2011 - 09:54 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

EDIT: actually, the SC#ADD_WMP_ARE that is shipped with WeiDU should append to the worldmap tables

Oh, speaking of which, FFT includes a slightly improved version of that, that should account for multiplayer as well as normal saves. Also it uses MKDIR to make sure it doesn't bomb if the folders aren't present (which I thought you'd added but I didn't see it in the latest WeiDU source).

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Sure.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#12 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

Just curious, Wisp - can this be done without overhauling the Worldmap mod? How much code would it take?

It would need quite a bit of new code, yes. But most of the current mod is about handling the tabular data and that code can be used for whatever. A mod-friendlier subcomponent would "just" need to handle the worldmap itself differently (e.g., by converting what's already there to fit the new map and add anything it should be adding, but is not already present).

Wouldn't it be enough if FFT appended to the worldmap tables like the Big Mods do?

FFT probably just need to append to the tables in the Worldmap directory, yes. But it depends on exactly what FFT does. Revised Travel Times has this cute feature that it deletes all links in those tables that connect two areas Revised Travel Times wants to link up. But if FFT just creates links where at least one of the areas is a FFT area it should be alright, I think.

EDIT: actually, the SC#ADD_WMP_ARE that is shipped with WeiDU should append to the worldmap tables as well (so that mods that use that function are automatically compatible with the WMP mod). Where would I need to look at to see the description for those tables?

I think what documentation there is to be had can be found in "bp-bgt_worldmap/worldmap v6 modmakers instruction guide-2.doc" (attached). But it doesn't actually document the tables much, just how someone could integrate their tables into any existing tables.

If you want I can write something up. But other than the fact that BP-BGT_Worldmap mixed up SHORT_NAME and CONTENT (SHORT_NAME is written to area resref and CONTENT is written to area name, short) and the format of the coordinates I think it should be mostly self-evident. But I imagine the coordinates can be nasty. Since the modder can launch sc#addWmpAre with the intent of patching the SoA, ToB, Tutu or BGT map, all of which have different dimensions, the coordinates will need to be transformed differently in each case. And I think I may need to get back to you on the exact nature of the tabular coordinates.
Maybe the TRA stuff could do with some explaining, as well.

Attached Files

#13 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

In that case, I think I'll be lazy and wait for somebody else to provide diffs (hopefully somebody who is more familiar than me with how WMP works).

#14 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

In that case, I think I'll be lazy and wait for somebody else to provide diffs (hopefully somebody who is more familiar than me with how WMP works).

Does anybody know how to do this?

#15 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

OK. I did something. :-)

My first attempt. I tried it on vanilla bg2 and it works if you install bg2->fft->wmp.
Just copy what is inside attached file into dq dir of FFT. And there is new component of FFT (compatibility with BGT-BP Worldmap).

Btw, it works only with original travel time. Install breaks on revisited.

Tonight I will try how it works on BWS.

Notes:

-this is temporary until someone how knows this stuff makes something. Don't trust me. ;-)
-I don't know how to patch files and I don't know if it's OK to alter Yovaneth's files this way. If it's problem, I'll delete it.
-if anyone want to fix my fix, you're very very welcome. :-)

EDIT: use version 3 post down.

Edited by Mad Mate, 01 March 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#16 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

Awesome I'm at work now, I'll give it a shot after I get home in some hours. Has anyone else got it working?

#17 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

It worked in BWP. :-)) I have all 5 location on map.

In attachment is second version.
I just changed travel times and added empty lines at end of "areas" and "links" files because it break BWPworldmap install if there is any big mod after FFT.

EDIT:
After this is installed you can change any area data, like position of area on map or visibility, with NearInfinity.

EDIT 2:
I think this is last change from me. I fine-tuned icons of 2 areas that was little bit overlapping others in BWP. If you don't want new install, new coordinates are in areas.tbl file so you can adjust them yourself in NearInfinity.

Attached Files

Edited by Mad Mate, 01 March 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#18 ilot

ilot
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

Thank you Mad Mate!! Posted Image

Because I would like translate this mod in italian language,
Have you made any change to the file "dq_setup.tra" too?

Edited by ilot, 02 March 2011 - 02:47 PM.

Italian mods tanslator!!!!

#19 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

Just one line:
@20002 = ~Optional: Add Fishing for Trouble to BP-BGT-Worldmap~

#20 ilot

ilot
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Just one line:
@20002 = ~Optional: Add Fishing for Trouble to BP-BGT-Worldmap~

Thank you Posted Image

Italian mods tanslator!!!!