5 replies to this topic

#1 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

I have recently installed the 2cd version of PS:T, with most recommended mods:
Spoiler

Unfortunately, the game often CTDs when I enter a new area.
This usually occurs either when the loading bar is around 2/3 (and then I get a CTD) or immediately after the area is loaded (and then the screen gets black and the whole computer hangs).
Trying to reload results in a new crash, but emptying the cache folder and loading again solves the problem.
Modifying the size of the cache (e. g. 1, 300, 600, 1000, ...) did not change anything.
The crashes have always occurred when I entered small areas (houses,...), so, could it be a Widescreen issue (as, from what I understand, it increases all small areas in size)? My settings for that mod were:

Game resolution: 1152 x 864; save resolution: 1440 x 900; updating saves: y

I've tried to change-log the wed and are files, but the output was empty; the widescreen, though, does not use the override folder, but directly biffs from the cache folder, so could that be the reason why it's not revealed by the change-log?
I have enabled logging, but have got no error log yet (Just thousands of '--- start logging session ----'). I'll post it whenever it comes out.

My OS is win XP; what else could you need?

BTW, I had also tried to install PS:T with exactly the same mods on Ubuntu, with wine 1.3.
I launched it into an emulated desktop, and everything worked fine, until I tried to exit from the mortuary.
Instead of playing the cutscene with the shadows, the screen got black and freezed, and I had to kill wine. Do you have any clue on that?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

It is clearly a mod, not sure which though. Nor do I know if PST has error logging like baldur.err (I don't even think it has a CLUA Console). Did you try it without certain mods (such as Widescreen, which should probably be installed last)?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

It is clearly a mod, not sure which though. Nor do I know if PST has error logging like baldur.err (I don't even think it has a CLUA Console). Did you try it without certain mods (such as Widescreen, which should probably be installed last)?

There are both a torment.err and torment.log file in the game folder. The latter lists what gets cached and what gets removed (I also found some messages like

d:\giochi\planescape-torment\cache\AR0101.BIF :REMOVE FROM CACHE FAILED

but they don't appear to be related with areas that crashed. The former only contains many lines with "start logging session".
I've tried to add "Logging on=1" to the ini file; I'm waiting for the next crash to see if anything changes. But games never crash when they should... :P
I had played it unmodded for some time, and I don't remember it crashing. But I had not either changed the settings in the .ini file then (as described in this guide, which was linked in the ps:t section of the forum). Besides, that guide suggests that the widescreen, in ps:t, should be installed first.

Edited by Turambar, 29 March 2011 - 12:31 PM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#4 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

I've also met some crashes which I can't solve by clearing the cache.
1. I can't enter AR0511.are (which is needed for the Godsmen quest).
2. (the weirdest...) I can't enter the Mortuary alive. If I speak to a dustie and ask them to visit Deionarra's grave, they take me to the door and the area crashes while loading. If i kill myself and respawn on the second floor, I can normally go back to the first floor, this time without problems.

In both cases, the area files do not even get cached.

This happens both when the files are in the override folder, or if I biff them (generalized biffing).
I will try a new install, but it will take some time to get to the lower ward. Is there any way to cheat and MoveToArea in PS:T?

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

I have seen similar reports in the PS:T mod forum - have you checked there? Also why I suggested backing out some mods (one at a time perhaps) to find the culprit. It's not like there are a lot of mods for PS:T.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

New update: I've tried the game with tome of cheats only (the only way to get to the foundry in a few minutes) and everything was ok.
I re-installed the widescreen with the same settings (1152*864; max resolution 1440*900) and it crashed again.
I'll report on the widescreen forum

Turambar

vipersig.jpg