Photo

The Case of the Pink Clothings Epidemic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

This is not about Imoen's fashion statement, but about people having parts of their garnments turn a very bright, "glow-in-the-dark" pink.

I'll try to get a screenshot the next time it happens.

...This actually reminds me of a screenshot I saw not too long ago, in which, if I recall correctly, the modder was testing something for his mod, and he added some pink highlights on the on-screen characters for some reason. Could a few of that pink highlighting remained somehow?

The highlighting goes on and off randomsly, both on the PC, the joinable NPCs and the rest of the NPCs. I haven't encountered a case in which a creature without clothing got highlighted part on his body, but I haven't encountered many of those yet (I'm still in Chapter 2 of BG1).

Opening another screen, like say the Inventory Screen, then going back to the main screen usually dispels the pink highlighthing. The Highlighting can appear and disappear anytime; no need for area transitions or special actions taken.

Here are a few of my files. Just ask if you need more.

Thanks

UPDATE: I have pics now. Pics 004 and 005 show Imoen getting the pink highlight, while Pic 006 shows both Imoen and Jaheira having it. All shots were taken in the High Hedge area, during the same instance.

EDIT: Oh, and might as well mention it here: my game froze twice so far:
- First right after I gave back Landrin her husband's boots (first item of her quest), at the Friendly Arm's. After closing the dialog for this part, the consequences (xp gain, party-loses-an-item, and so forth) appears in the dialog box, but then everything froze, the music caught in a loop. After half a minute or two, the music stopped playing and the game remained jammed. I was able to leave the game by ending the ToBEx program via the task manager.

- The second time was when I was transiting from the first area next to Candlekeep (just finished fully exploring it) towards the High Hedge area (unexplored). I got waylaid by enemies. A ghast or ghoul appeared on screen (night-time), and then the game froze again. I think there should've been other spawned creatures, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, it went the same way as the first occurence of the bug.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by JohnMoonlord, 05 April 2011 - 01:57 PM.

"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#2 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

it's present on my install as well. Just noticed it today.

I have a hunch that it only happens at night though. I only seem to catch it happening at night. Maybe it's related to infravision.
BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#3 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

it's present on my install as well. Just noticed it today.

I have a hunch that it only happens at night though. I only seem to catch it happening at night. Maybe it's related to infravision.

Yeah, I did notice that too: either outside, at night, or indoors, with low-intensity light (ex: torchlights).

Edited by JohnMoonlord, 06 April 2011 - 10:35 AM.

"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

This actually reminds me of a screenshot I saw not too long ago, in which, if I recall correctly, the modder was testing something for his mod, and he added some pink highlights on the on-screen characters for some reason. Could a few of that pink highlighting remained somehow?

If you can find the reference, that'd be the easiest way to hunt it down. I've never seen anything like it, though it'd be possible to do with an item or spell effect.

If you're getting crashes (a separate issue apparently) post the text from your baldur.err file from after the crash (*not* baldur.log).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

This actually reminds me of a screenshot I saw not too long ago, in which, if I recall correctly, the modder was testing something for his mod, and he added some pink highlights on the on-screen characters for some reason. Could a few of that pink highlighting remained somehow?

If you can find the reference, that'd be the easiest way to hunt it down. I've never seen anything like it, though it'd be possible to do with an item or spell effect.

If you're getting crashes (a separate issue apparently) post the text from your baldur.err file from after the crash (*not* baldur.log).

I didn't find the reference yet, but I'm still working on it.

And I'll post the .err file if it crashes again.

Thanks

#6 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

I had this too on my last install. I've installed the latest BWS beta. I haven't yet seen the effect but I haven't played the game.

#7 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

This also happens, again, only at night. This message is printed to the text box:

"*Character's_Name_Here*: You can not have multiple castings of the same contingency".

None of my characters can cast contingency spells, or have any visible effects active. I couldn't really discern a clear cause/effect relationship between the flashing pink clothing and the messages (it doesn't necessarily correlate to a character with the pink flashing or is about to be flashing pink), but it is worth noting.

Are you guys getting this as well?

Edited by AndrewB, 08 April 2011 - 11:09 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#8 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

This also happens, again, only at night. This message is printed to the text box:

"*Character's_Name_Here*: You can not have multiple castings of the same contingency".

None of my characters can cast contingency spells, or have any visible effects active. I couldn't really discern a clear cause/effect relationship between the flashing pink clothing and the messages (it doesn't necessarily correlate to a character with the pink flashing or is about to be flashing pink), but it is worth noting.

No, but I'll keep an eye open for it (maybe I'll have to enable a feedback option to see it).

#9 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

I had this too on my last install. I've installed the latest BWS beta. I haven't yet seen the effect but I haven't played the game.

It's present in my latest install as well. I'd guess that it seems to be some textures are missing

#10 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yup, I confirm having this message as well when pink highlights show up.

#11 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Here's the .err file in .txt format from right after my last crash. It doesn't seem to say much, though.

Attached Files

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

There's nothing logged in that file. Maybe check your TobEx.log too if you have it (post the contents if it contains anything significant, not the file itself).

Also, I don't have any string remotely like "You can not have multiple castings of the same contingency" on my BWP Expert install from a month or two ago, so it must be from some recent new mod. Don't suppose it's from SpellPackB6 or something?

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

I do.

I can't recall if the contingency messages only happen at night, but the pink "artifacts" do.

Neither was a show-stopper for me, since I experienced no crash, and no particular slow down.

I chose to just ignore them after a while.

PS : I could be wrong, but I would actually think the pink colour "artifacts" to be some weird visual effects, not missing textures, since they disappear after a while (with daylight?), without user intervention.

Edited by Karmapowered, 10 April 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#14 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

There's nothing logged in that file. Maybe check your TobEx.log too if you have it (post the contents if it contains anything significant, not the file itself).

Also, I don't have any string remotely like "You can not have multiple castings of the same contingency" on my BWP Expert install from a month or two ago, so it must be from some recent new mod. Don't suppose it's from SpellPackB6 or something?

The ToBEx log only shows each time I started up (date, version, etc), but nothing more. A few intalls ago, I did notice that the log didn't seem to be recording anything anymore during gameplay (and neither did Baldur.err, apparently). I don't know why.

I never had any versions of the SpellPackB6 installed.

And yes, my current install is fairly recent, with the 9.9 version of BWP that came out in March.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

It would be possible to see which mod causes this by searching that string in Near Infinity, then do a where-used on the string reference to see which spell (or whatever) references it. Then do a weidu --change-log on that file to see which mod affected it.

#16 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

The StringRef is 32876 in my dialog.tlk.

If I click on "Find References", I don't get any results (with everything checked).

Is there another way I could proceed ?

Sorry for the bother, I am still very much at the beginning of the learning curve :(

#17 Eagleheart

Eagleheart
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

Isn't the "you have cast multiple contingencies" message above a generic error message and looking it up isn't going to necessarily tell you what caused it?

Edited by Eagleheart, 12 April 2011 - 04:57 AM.

#18 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I've already run the BWP Clean-Up, so I don't have the Changelog.bat in my BGII folder anymore. But I after searching the String in Near Infinity, I think I have more of a general idea of what is causing the Contingency messages.

Searching the exact String pulled up only three references, all relating to the spell "Lower Resistance" or an Innate/Variant of it (the exact spells: CDXVLRS.SPL, DW#0W514.SPL, and SPWI514.SPL). I have a feeling it's caused by another mod overwriting the Spell Revisions version of the spell, in my case, that would be Spell50. But Spell50 only touches the standard Wizard spell (SPWI514.SPL), and the file prefixes are telling me the others are from Divine Remix (CD=CamDawg) and SCS/SCSII (DW=DavidW). After looking deeper into the spells, I notice they all contain a Character color pulse(50) Effect (R: 96, G:17, B: 20), but I'm not at all certain if that's an exact match for the hot pink clothing glow addressed in this thread, or why these particular spells would cause party characters to glow seemingly at random.

As someone above mentioned, it is a minor annoyance and easily ignored, so I'm content to do so (though it would be interesting to see if that problem is common to Spellpack users as well, which would also overwrite the Lower Resistance spell. I'd guess so).
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#19 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

I consider it a step above minor annoyance (moderate annoyance?). I don't have divine remix in my install you can cross that off the list I guess. It's probably SCS/II since the problem didn't exist in previous versions which had a lower version of SCS. I think SCS was updated for this newer BWP.

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

Isn't the "you have cast multiple contingencies" message above a generic error message and looking it up isn't going to necessarily tell you what caused it?

It apparently is generic but you can still (usually) tell if some custom spell references that string. On my BWP install, that string (#32876) is blanked out for some reason, though it exists in BG2 normally.