Photo

[SOLVED]Permanent freeze when entering Friendly Arms Inn

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have a BWP 9.10 tactic customized install and when I try to enter Friendly Arms Inn the area loads, I can see my characters, but immediately after that the game freezes completely and I get Baldur's Gate has stopped responding and I am forced to exit.

Attached Files

Edited by dreamer2007, 16 April 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#2 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

I know it won't help you much, but I just wanted to say that it doesn't happen to me on a customized "recommended/standard/tactic" install.

If you like, I can send you my BWS-Selection.ini file, so that you can compare it with yours, to hopefully pinpoint the culprit down a bit faster.

Still, I think there should be AI-script/tactic savvy people around here to help you better than that.

Best of luck.

Edited by Karmapowered, 11 April 2011 - 05:24 AM.

#3 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the offer but I don't know if your BWS selection would help, because all I did was remove some mods and components, not add.

I did a test with a friend, he sent me his non crashing AR6800 file from a BWP 9.4 install and I put in the override folder of my install to see if its the same freeze, and its exactly the same. Weird.

Edited by dreamer2007, 11 April 2011 - 06:10 AM.

#4 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Please help? I have no idea how to fix this. I did a complete reinstall, I updated the audio and video drivers, I tried entering the area alone, I removed the NPC's with near infinity, then I replaced the area with an area from a friend who has BWP 9.4 like I already mentioned above and still the same problem.

HELP, I want to play!

#5 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Which AR6800 file? there are more than one. Does the freeze up before or after the movie that plays the first time you enter the area? If before you can try setting 'SetGlobal ("EnterdArmInn","GLOBAL",1)'. If this works other movies in the game might also not work. You might try looking at AR6800.bcs for other actions that might cause the freeze.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#6 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

The AR6800 file representing Friendly Arms Inn, I haven't seen any other AR6800 file around. The game freezes after the movie, a second after I see my characters entering the area.

Here is what I see in the AR6800.bcs:
Spoiler

#7 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

I was asking which file (s):.bcs,.wed, .are

I would save your AR6800.bcs some where safe. I would then try cutting out sections and trying to see which might be causing your freeze.

from my AR6800.bcs
Spoiler

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#8 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

I was asking which file (s):.bcs,.wed, .are

I would save your AR6800.bcs some where safe. I would then try cutting out sections and trying to see which might be causing your freeze.

He sent me the .are file. Anyway, I simply replaced the code from my AR6800.bcs with yours just to test, and I get the same freeze.

Edited by dreamer2007, 12 April 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#9 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

I would then try cutting out sections and trying to see which might be causing your freeze. It is not only the .bcs file, but what it calls. Cut one thing out at a time and see which thing could be causing the bug.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#10 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:14 AM

I cut out sections until nothing was left and still I got the same annoying freeze.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

I thought you knew this, but always post the contents of your baldur.err file anytime you get a crash or freeze. I have seen this ages ago as an old issue related to the movie that plays (in which case it's easy to disable that by editing baldur.ini) but it could be something else.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

I thought you knew this, but always post the contents of your baldur.err file anytime you get a crash or freeze. I have seen this ages ago as an old issue related to the movie that plays (in which case it's easy to disable that by editing baldur.ini) but it could be something else.

I knew this but my baldur.err is empty. I added under [Program Options] in Baldur.ini the line Disable Movies=1, and still the same freeze. Its not the movie :(.

Edited by dreamer2007, 15 April 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

If it's not the movie (FRARMINN I'm guessing) then the next likeliest suspect is a faulty .cre or animation. Try installing this (areatest) and entering ar6800 when it prompts for an area. Then post the contents of the resulting arealog.txt. Then start from the bottom of the list moving up it and CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("cre") for each cre - most likely at least one will cause a crash. There shouldn't be too many different ones in that area unless some mod has spammed the FAI. Once you find the culprit, you can do a weidu --change-log culprit.cre to see which mod(s) affected it.

Edit: I hope you didn't do something like install Infinity Animations without starting a new game or installed mods that add more creatures after IA, since that can easily cause a crash. Also, try spawning the pack mule first to make sure it's not that.

Edited by Miloch, 15 April 2011 - 07:39 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#14 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

Okay here it is:
Spoiler
Do you suspect any of these to make the selection smaller before I start summoning cows and eagles :P?

No, I didn't install anything after the BWP, and yes I started a game before starting the install :)

Edited by dreamer2007, 15 April 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#15 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

ITS THE MULE!!! Thank you Miloch! :Bow: I will start a new install without the mule this time :D . What's weird is that I modified the AR6800.are file with near infinity before and I deleted all the creatures, but still I got the freeze. I guess I can't delete the mod added creatures with Near Infinity.

Edited by dreamer2007, 15 April 2011 - 07:56 AM.

#16 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

that's a shame. The mule is my new favorite mod. It's farking amazing, and I'm forever indebted to it's creator for allowing me to collect 142 short swords.

Edited by AndrewB, 15 April 2011 - 08:58 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#17 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

So in your case it works. But why doesn't it work for me? I will wait for the new install to finish without the mule to be sure that truly that was the problem.

Edit: The install is finished and I don't have the freeze in Friendly Arms Inn. The mule was indeed the problem.

Edited by dreamer2007, 15 April 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#18 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

:coolthumb: Good to hear that you found the bug. I thought it might have the Mule (the biggest new thing from my install), but when you said that you had cut everything I was stumped.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#19 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Well, deleting CREs from the area file wouldn't solve most mod-added CRE problems, as they tend to add them to the area script (ar6800.bcs) instead. As you can see from the areatest output, all the stuff in the .bcs is pretty much mod-added whereas all the stuff in the .are file is standard vanilla BG1.

As for the pack mule, clearly it works on most installs. You might check the BAMs in the installer (and the ones that got copied to your game) have the filenames they're supposed to, since you had problems with other archives. Check the pinned topics in the IA forum for what they're supposed to be (offhand I don't know).

I was thinking of having that areatest utility generate a script you could attach to your character that would tell you (eventually) which CRE causes a crash, and maybe upload it to Modding Tools or something. It's at least the 3rd or 4th time it seems to have been useful.

#20 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

I have BWP 9.9.1 Expert install with few mods that aren't in BWP.

I didn't have any problems with Packmule. Not at Friendly Arm Inn or any other place after that (I'm at Chapter 5 Cloakwood Crossing).

So i don't know why Packmule doesn't work with your tactic install. Maybe these expert installs are less buggier than your tactic installs. :P

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible