Photo

BP and Unkillable Mobs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Creb

Creb
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hi all. I was wondering if there was a bug list available somewhere to peruse. I have BP 1.8 (and the Fixpack) installed and the only real bug that makes me tear my hair out are the unkillable mobs I encounter (and yes, the Fixpack is installed first). By unkillable, I mean mobs that won't even die even if you Cntrl + Y them.

Digging around, I am generally able to find workarounds, but they almost all require reloading a save prior to the game having loaded the zone in question, and often times I simply do not have a save that fits that criteria. This has caused me to restart BG 2 several times now, and while it's been years since I played the game, I have to say that constantly redoing the first n hours over a short time frame gets old really fast.

I thought it might be a good idea to have a list of all known unkillable mobs (or any mobs with errors that tend to require an edited CRE to fix) and their workarounds so people who install BP 1.8 as well as the ubiquitous BG2 Fixpack (from what I gather, most, if not all, unkillable mobs are due to a scripting error in BP that conflicted with the Fixpack; please feel free to correct me) can go ahead and install those fixed CREs or whatever other methods exist so one doesn't end up having to restart the game or make saves prior to entering every single area (since edited CREs seem to only work if you use a save before the area was ever loaded in your save game). I mean, I have found most of these issues in individual threads, but not once did they alert the readers to the other mobs with issues despite there being individual threads about those other mobs. Basically, I am astounded that there isn't a consolidated list of every problem mob for a mod and game as old as this.

As well, many of the ancient threads concerning these issues sounded like they were fixed/in the process of being fixed years ago; certainly long before BP 1.8 was released, so I'm unsure if these fixes were just never included in BP 1.8, or BP was just never intended to ever be played with the Fixpack.

Anyways, the mobs that have given me problems so far:

1) Troll as you re-enter the De'Arnise Keep after opening the main gate to let the soldiers in. It won't die.
2) Torgal in the basement of De'Arnise Keep won't die.

To fix both, I used Wes Weimer's Tactics mod and selected Streamlined Trolls. It makes Trolls easier (they just die, rather than falling down at near death and don't require acid/fire/etc), but after spending literally hours trying to workaround this issue since I did not have a save prior to entering the area to take advantage of editing the CRE files, I didn't want to risk running into any future trolls that might be unkillable as well. You still need to have a save prior to entering the area with the Tactics mod.

If you want to fix this before you ever go to the De'Arnise Keep, you can edit the Torgal CRE file using Shadowkeeper to remove his neck item. I have no idea how one goes about fixing #1 though, and I'm told the trolls that spawn in the Boo gets kidnapped quest have the same issue, so I'd still use Streamlined trolls anyways.

3) Tolgerias in the Planar Sphere.
4) Cowled Mage that accompanies Tolgerias in the Planar Sphere.

There are modified BCS files to fix this found here: http://www.shsforums..._hl__unkillable
I can't say whether they work or not, but the thread seems to indicate they do.
Note: Like most file fixes, this requires you to load a save prior to entering the area, which I didn't have, so I ended up having to use the Cntrl + Q workaround, which added both mobs to my party (which you then kick out of, where they remain friendly). They still weren't killable, but I was able to at least move on.

I am now leaving Spellhold. Here are a few other mob-related issues. Due to having a hard time figuring out their causes by using search, I figured I'd post them here in the event they are related to BP in anyway.

1) Saemun won't spawn at docks after you get the conch/horn from the Pirate Lord's mistress' home. When this bug is mentioned on the internet, I haven't seen BP associated with it. Seems like a major bug though, and I certainly didn't run into it when I played BG 2 unmodded all those years ago.

Never did fix this. I am going to go ahead and skip the boat ride and go straight to the Underdark.

2) The three Trolls in the Asylum test. One of the trolls is supposed to drop a head, which you place in the altar to continue on. None of the trolls drop a troll head.

The only mention of this I found on these forums had BP in the install log, but there was no resolution in the thread. I have found no solid cause/resolution anywhere so far. However, this is one of those nice bugs in that there's an autosave that can actually be used only a minute or two earlier prior to starting the tests. If you run into this issue, just load your autosave and answer the riddles in the feast room wrong and you will go to a different test than the one that involves the three trolls and altar.

So far, these are the only game stopping issues I've run into with BP 1.8 (and the Fixpack) installed.

Once I'm done with the rest of the game and Throne of Bhaal, I will update this post if I run into any more unkillable mobs/mob issues.

Please, if you know of any mobs that are unkillable or have issues, please post their names and any workarounds. I'm fine with running into them myself as I finish off the second half of the game, but I imagine in a game and mod this old that every problem mob is already known, and would solve a lot of heartache if it was all posted somewhere in one list. :)

Lastly, if there is a bugs list with all this and more already listed somewhere that one can read that I am just too stupid and blind to have found, please direct me to it. :P

#2 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

@Miloch/Turambar

1) Afair it has either all scriptslots filled and no room for a Troll script or mismatched references (MinHP/MonHP/SUREHP).
2) In vanilla BG2 has no MinHP/MonHP/SUREHP ring, BP adds one, but all his scriptslots are filled.
3) Afair MinHP/MonHP/SUREHP mismatch with his script/dialogue, where it destroys one, but should destroy another one.
4) See 3).
6 aka 2) Afair BP replaces one of those Trolls. Unfortunately the Trollhead was also removed, as the replaced Troll had it in its inventory.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

1) Afair it has either all scriptslots filled and no room for a Troll script or mismatched references (MinHP/MonHP/SUREHP).

You mean scripts or items? Those references look like items.

I think I fixed most of the troll script issues in the development version but I'm not sure of, for example, stuff like this:

6 aka 2) Afair BP replaces one of those Trolls. Unfortunately the Trollhead was also removed, as the replaced Troll had it in its inventory.

Do you have a .cre or .itm reference? Not sure what to look for otherwise.

I find it a bit disturbing that files seanas posted from 2006 aren't in the current version of BP, if they truly are fixes...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

@6 aka 2)
setup-BPv180 line 24810
COPY ~BPv180/ARE/AR1506.ARE~ ~override/AR1506.ARE~

Original area has trollsp01.cre (Spectral Troll), eletro01.cre (Troll with Giant Troll head in inventory) and eletro02.cre (Troll).
The changed area doesn't have eletro01.cre, which is required to progress with the quest.

But BPv180 also provides a fix for this (line 24865).

EXTEND_TOP ~AR1506.BCS~ ~BPv180/SPELLHD/SNIP/tAR1506.BCS~

Unfortunately not in the main component, where the area change is located, but in its Spellhold component. Result being that someone who doesn't install the latter can only progress if he doesn't get to that area or if he uses the console.

@1)
Creature in question is kptrol03.cre.

:doh: Should've put item before references, in order for it to make sense.

Vanilla game kptrol03.cre has no MONHP1.itm, it simply dies, if you cause enough damage. Moreover it has these scripts assigned: kptrol03 as class, gensht as general and wtasight as default.

BG2 Fixpack assigns a MONHP1.itm to kptrol03.cre's amulet slot and adds a Troll death script called kptrol23.bcs as override(code in question begins at line 10196 in setup-bg2fixpack.tp2).

BPv180 assumes kptrol03.cre is still in vanilla game state and begins at line 15047 its modifications of kptrol03.cre. Kptrol03.bcs changes from class to override, overwriting kptrol23.bcs. This results in a Troll with MONHP1 but no way to remove it.

@2) The same problem as @1)
Fixpack adds MONHP1, BP still assumes vanilla game state etc.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Cheers, will investigate. Probably fixed most stuff or it will be fixed by definition (we won't be overwriting entire areas in the next version for example).

Still not sure about the other stuff in the OP though (Planar Sphere, Saemon etc.) or whether BP is definitely the culprit.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

@Tolgerias
Tolger2.cre gets an SUREHP1.itm through BP. BPTOLGER.bcs and BPTOLG1A.bcs both deal with destroying SUREHP1. From what I see, his female mage flunky also gets a SUREHP1.

10th

#7 -jasper-

-jasper-

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

A little question... i was thinking of installing BP, in my next playthrough, with the help of the BWP tool.

Are these issues fixed now? In the BWP fixpack or anything? otherwise, BP breaks the entire game with such big bugs. Hotfixing this should be of highest priority, no? I need to know if I can install this without it creating unkillable creatures :ph34r:

#8 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Last BWP-Fixpack-Update was on 7 April. Don't think so... I told Leonardo, but maybe it wasn't possible to make the implementation of the Bg2-fix dependent on the question if BP component 1 will be installed. :wacko:
I guess Miloch und Turambar have a partially updated version of BP at hand and will make it public when it's completely finished.
What you could do is to do the necessary code-changes after the BWS is finished and before you make any decisions in the (black) DOS-like installation screen.

#9 -jasper-

-jasper-

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:39 AM

Last BWP-Fixpack-Update was on 7 April. Don't think so... I told Leonardo, but maybe it wasn't possible to make the implementation of the Bg2-fix dependent on the question if BP component 1 will be installed. :wacko:
I guess Miloch und Turambar have a partially updated version of BP at hand and will make it public when it's completely finished.
What you could do is to do the necessary code-changes after the BWS is finished and before you make any decisions in the (black) DOS-like installation screen.

I see. In these moments, it is a bit sadening that mod updates are not faster (I do not mean that modders are slow! but I mean they could release a fix for the most severe issues before taking on the rest as this is probably fixed already)

Anyway, I don't know anything about modding (as in, "fixing the code myself") so do you know how I should do that? :unsure: i'll gladly edit the files myself if i get something to go on.

Although I wonder how many more bugs this mod introduce, if ones as severe as this are hardly even talked about :S I only really need to install this because I want to use the BPSeries combat scripts. Nothing more.

#10 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Maybe this helps:
http://www.shsforums...post__p__513658

#11 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

I've strated working on this bug.
TorGal has too many scripts, we'll need to remove one.
override: initdlg (can't remove)
class: bpplot (can't remove)
race: he'll need torgal2 (from fixpack), otherwise immortal
he needs one combat script (bpwtsigt) (default)
So, between
WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~BPLEADER~ #8 // Race (was NONE)
WRITE_ASCII 0x260 ~GENSHT01~ #8 // General (was NONE)
which shall I remove?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I wrote some code based on what you posted but have not had the chance to test it yet. It should probably go in your Tweaks for now - and you might want to REQUIRE_PREDICATE NOT MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~setup-bp.tp2~ 0 or something like that. It is only relevant for BPv180 and lower, and future versions will not have the version number in the filepaths (which is a huge pain as all references need to be changed with each release otherwise). It cannot rightly go in the BWP Fixpack since it needs to be installed after the BG2 Fixpack and BP (it is a conflict between both which is resolved fairly easily).
//Only relevant if Fixpack and BPv180 or lower both installed
ACTION_IF ((FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bpplot.bcs~) AND (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~torgal2.bcs~)) BEGIN
  //Extend TorGal's script with bpplot if not already done
  OUTER_SET tvar1 = 0
  COPY_EXISTING ~torgal2.bcs~ ~override~
    PATCH_IF (INDEX_BUFFER (~BP_PlotCatch~) != `0) BEGIN
      tvar1 = 1
    END
  BUT_ONLY
  ACTION_IF (tvar1 < 1) BEGIN
    EXTEND_BOTTOM ~torgal2.bcs~ ~bpplot.bcs~
  END

COPY_EXISTING ~torgal.cre~ ~override~ //TorGal
    PATCH_IF SOURCE_SIZE > 0x2d3 BEGIN
      off = INDEX_BUFFER (CASE_INSENSITIVE EXACT_MATCH ~bpplot~)
      PATCH_IF off > SCRIPT_CLASS BEGIN
        DELETE_BYTES off 8
        INSERT_BYTES SCRIPT_CLASS 8
        off = SCRIPT_CLASS
      END
      WRITE_ASCIIT off ~torgal2~
    END
  IF ~bpplot~ UNLESS ~torgal2~

COPY_EXISTING ~kptrol03.cre~ ~override~ //Troll
      WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~kptrol23~ #8 //Override script
      WRITE_ASCII 0x250 ~kptrol03~ #8 //Class script
      WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~bpprie8a~ #8 //Race script
    END
  UNLESS ~kptrol23~

//Extend Nilthiri's script with nith02 if not already done
  //Seems nith01 is not necessary if the Fixpack is installed
  OUTER_SET tvar1 = 0
  COPY_EXISTING ~drshnl01.bcs~ ~override~
    PATCH_IF (INDEX_BUFFER (~BPPrep~) != `0) BEGIN
      tvar1 = 1
    END
  BUT_ONLY
    EXTEND_TOP ~drshnl01.bcs~ ~nith02.bcs~
  END

COPY_EXISTING ~drshnl01.cre~ ~override~ //Nilthiri
      WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~drshnl11~ #8 // Override script
      WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~drshnl01~ #8 // Race script
    END
  IF ~nith02~ UNLESS ~drshnl11~
END

//Only relevant if BPv180 or lower installed without Spellhold component
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bpplot.bcs~ AND NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bpgoodys.cre~) BEGIN
  //Spawn eletro01.cre in AR1506 if not already set to spawn
  OUTER_SET tvar1 = 0
  COPY_EXISTING ~ar1506.bcs~ ~override~
    PATCH_IF (INDEX_BUFFER (~BP_WhyIsThis~) != `0) BEGIN
      tvar1 = 1
    END
  BUT_ONLY

>
    EXTEND_TOP ~ar1506.bcs~ ~tar1506.baf~
  END
END
These are the Tolgerias CREs. However, they shouldn't still have issues as both bptolg1a.baf and bptgmg1a scripts are set to destroy surehp1.itm. So I think that is an old bug report (v179 or earlier perhaps). It is probably just the trolls that need to be fixed (they are fixed in my development version).

tolger.cre
tolger2.cre
tolmag02.cre

Trolls:
ar1300
(note: ar1301.bcs destroys minhp1 on the giant trolls and changes their scripts to kptrol01 and kptrol02)
trolgi01.cre
trolgi02.cre

ar1301
torgal.cre
troll01.cre
trolsp01.cre

ar1302
kptrol03.cre
kptrol04.cre

#13 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Anyway, I was thinking about a minor upgrade of BP: since there's also the BGT compatibility fix (which is quite urgent, and not so simple because BP checks for different bifs in different places), and some other minor fixes (see workroom), I could build some BP180c with only minor changes; I think that's the quickest way to fix this issue too, rather than writing a fix which has to be applied in the correct moment... (I always find patches confusing)

Concerning torgal, I can merge two scripts into one (as in the code above), but I was wondering whether we really need that, or whether we can remove one script from him instead

Edited by Turambar, 11 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I posted in the workroom but in a nutshell, it's not a simple update because I've incorporated the Fixpack code (unless it's installed already) for compatibility. As to the scripts, I'm not sure what bpplot and bpleader are supposed to do other than set variables etc., so it's probably safest to keep them unless someone can say differently. The only one I dropped was nith1.bcs because it appears to do the same thing as the Fixpack (changes the troll animation when it's "killed" without fire or whatever). So those three trolls appear to be the only ones we need to fix, as the others don't have script slot conflicts. The best way to do this for now is by patch or we could likely end up with more conflicts. If you don't want to put it in your Fixes/Tweaks we could upload it as a standalone patch but you may as well take it for now as I thought you had similar things in there already. If there is a similar fix (e.g. for an Ascension ravager installed without core) might as well include that too, but I don't know enough about that to speak to it unless you've got a link or something.

#15 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

I found some unkillable sahuagins in sahuagin city, "Rebel" ones. I checked them all quickly with SK and found some are carrying unnamed items, either in quickitem or neck slot. Running a change log on all of them shows BP > Aurora > IA mods modifying them, some have bg2fixpack prior to BP too.
Ask if you want more info
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

There are a bunch of different sahuagin. Do you have the .cre and .itm filenames?

#17 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Got it down to 2 "Rebel" sahuagins : SAHSPY01 and SAHSPY02, both carry a MINHP1 item in their neck slot.

The other ones were actually carrying RNDTRE## items in quick slot.

EDIT : I quickly checked their scripts, from what I understand they're supposed to run away/disappear after spawning groups of sahuagin when they detect the party? In my game they would stay and keep attacking (I Ctrl+Y'd basically the whole city after many reloads because I can't take 40+ sahuagins of lvl12+ including divine and arcane spellcasters and spawning anguilians out of their asses.)

Edited by Beleg33, 16 February 2012 - 10:09 AM.

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

The sahspy*.cre are BP-added creatures. They should be scripted to destroy their minhp items after spawning more sahuagin and a timer expires, apparently 10 seconds or so, on these conditions:

Global("BP_Stooges2300","LOCALS",1)
GlobalTimerExpired("BP_Stooges1","LOCALS")

It is possible their shout script or something else may be interefering though, so maybe the script order needs to be changed. Can you list the scripts they have? On sahspy01.cre unmodded, should be:

humansht
sahrun
sahdie
sahspy01
bpwdasgt

So it's possible swapping sahspy01 and humansht scripts might solve this - see if you can test that. Edit: might not solve it though, because the timer still needs to expire, so it'll run through all scripts before then and could get hung up on one, hmm.

Edited by Miloch, 16 February 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#19 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Ok I just did some testing ingame now I understand why it's so hard. Indeed they lose their minhp item after about 2 rounds but by that time they can spawn up to 3 groups, usually 2. That was all made with ctrl+y spam to kill them as soon as they lost the minhp.

Edit: I have swapped the scripts as you said.

Edited by Beleg33, 16 February 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

If you set your game difficulty to Easy their script behaviour will also be different (presumably easier, heh). We also have a v181 alpha in progress in the workroom if you want to test it. It should fix the trolls at least, but I don't think we've done anything different with sahuagin as yet.