Photo

A New Monk NPC Mod For You

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Uh, yeah. Decided after so many years (somewhere around a decade) that I wanted to make my own NPC for this game. So I did! His name is Auden, and he's a monk. A good ways into the project I learned that there's a (rather prominent) NPC named "Auren Aseph", but hey, I only have the one name, so y'all can deal.

Here's a rough summary of the guy as he is now:

I've always loved the concept of monks, and I was surprised that none of the even halfway-high profile NPC mods introduced one to the game. So instead of complaining, I'm doing it myself. Auden (I realized I was one letter away from "Auren" far too late. Sorry Kat Bella.) was originally going to have a fairly exotic backstory involving a blinding industrial accident and the pursuit of monastic life as physical and mental reparative therapy, but I soon realized that was falling into the Mary Sue trap and there was no way I was gonna fit in all that info gracefully via banters and the like. So he was scaled back to "former soldier traveling through Amn".

Why is Auden a monk? Why is he in Amn? Who knows! I do, but I'm not telling (unless you ask). I've decided to release what I have because I finally got my WeiDU package to work (good feeling!) and I figured I'd get a bit of feedback on what little I've done so far. At this point he's got a few banters with the PC and some of the Bio CNPCs, and a robust suite of interjections. but there's still a lot more to add.

Here's the link. Give it a spin, let me know what you think so far. Any and all feedback about anything is 100% welcome. Think the guy's got unbalanced stats? Are banters firing too quickly or too slowly? Does his vocabulary suck? Am I getting CNPC personalities all wrong? I won't know unless you tell me! So tell me!

Enjoy!

Edited by Pop, 14 July 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#2 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

That's nice stuff :) I've read through some of it, and can't help noticing... you really love CHAINs too, don't you? :cheers:

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#3 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

That's nice stuff :) I've read through some of it, and can't help noticing... you really love CHAINs too, don't you? :cheers:

Yeah, thing is I don't entirely know how they work! I just trained myself off of Kat Bella's online tutorials. Seem to work well so far though :)

#4 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Alright, the next iteration of the mod is due out soon, probably later today, as I wrap up a few more banters. I'm thinking it might be suitable for hosting at some point (I'm on track to SoA content completion, though I would like to learn how to implement quest / "cutscene" content at some point), I don't know what the procedure is for that, if you sign up or have to be invited or what.

#5 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

You have to request for hosting and they will evaluate your submission based on a guideline :) For more information, PM K'aeloree or Choochoo. Good luck! :)

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#6 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Sounds good. Once I've hit an as-yet-undefined milestone I'll submit.

#7 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Try PMing the Admins first to get the guideline, so as to make your as-yet-undefined milestone more defined :)

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

I wouldn't bother with getting a dedicated forum - just upload it to Misc. Released Mods and update it as you go along. There are plenty of other smaller NPC mods there, and you don't need special approval to upload there.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I wouldn't bother with getting a dedicated forum - just upload it to Misc. Released Mods and update it as you go along. There are plenty of other smaller NPC mods there, and you don't need special approval to upload there.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. I don't know why my little mod would need its own forum anyway. I'll do that!

#10 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Version 1.3 is up! Here are the changes from last iteration:

CHANGELOG:
v1.3
- A few new Jaheira banters.
- A few new PC-Auden banters, one of which will only trigger after the last Jaheira banter.
- Adjusted banter timers to make them a bit longer. Should fire every ~40 minutes.
- Added a couple of new "innate abilities" to the character, to be added once certain banter increments have been reached (and Auden's level hits a certain number, where appropriate). The abilities are functionally identical to the Mirror Image / Oracle / Minor Spell Deflection mage spells, usable once per day. Many thanks to Zyraen at Spellhold Studios for the coding direction on that one.

At this point I'm just about done with the NPC / Jaheira banters, I think. I don't want to go overboard. First banters are also in place for Minsc, Aerie, Jan, Yoshimo and Viconia. Adding another 3-4 banters per character plus all the ones not listed is going to be a lot of work! Not to mention that my experience playing with a few of the Bio NPCs is limited (particularly Haer'dalis and Edwin) so I'm not sure how I'll do any good writing on that front. Lots of poring over Infinity Explorer, I imagine. But yes, it's there if you want it :)

#11 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Congrats on the new release. Does he have interjections yet?
Let me know if you want to use some interjections I'm doing up for SoA, assuming they're not already done ;)

Edited by Zyraen, 05 August 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#12 Pop

Pop
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Congrats on the new release. Does he have interjections yet?
Let me know if you want to use some interjections I'm doing up for SoA, assuming they're not already done ;)

He has some, but not a whole lot - 25 at present, not counting Tree of Life dialog. If you've got the time and inclination to help out I would really appreciate it!

*e - Oh also I've got a new topic up in Misc. Downloads :)

Edited by Pop, 05 August 2011 - 09:15 PM.