Help! Ravager crash! :(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 -Diana K-

-Diana K-

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hi, everyone! :)

I'm having a bit of trouble with the BP-Ascension mod - I just made it to 6 million EXP and I'm trying to transform into the Ravager, but every time I choose that option the game crashes.

Patching/modding the game was a bit of a complicated process for me, because I started out by following the advice on the GOG forum, and after that I was told using the original Ascension mod wouldn't work without reinstalling the entire game again, so the order was more or less this:

1. BG2 Fixpack
2. BGT-WeiDU
3. BG1-Unfinished Business
4. BG2-Unfinished Business
5. Widescreen mod
6. BGT-Music (Hybrid)
7. BG2 Tweaks (mostly matters of consistency)
8. BP-Ascension (I only installed that component of the BP mod, from version 1.80)
9. Turnabout
10. Homeward Bound

I've also attached my log: any help would be most appreciated! I guess I can just play through without becoming the Ravager, but I must admit I'm rather curious about it, and while I haven't reached that point yet I'm also a bit concerned that the game might crash during the Pocket Plane challenge where I'm actually supposed to face a Ravager... :)

Spoiler

The crash log is here:

Spoiler

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

I would remember you being a forum member, if you are, you should log in and post your save game. ...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:41 AM

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 1279

Exp: pCreature != NULL && creatureSize > 0

That means a problem with a corrupt or missing creature (.cre file) - obviously being the ravager if you're trying to transform into that, but offhand I don't know which .cre or even which spell triggers it - you'd have to look at or attach that instead - a saved game probably won't help much.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Diana K

Diana K
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

Well, I am now. :)

Okay, I've never actually done this before so I hope I got it right: I've attached a zip file of the specific save directory (000000088-99-selene-test) and it has a bunch of bitmaps, a GAM file, a SAV file and some other things. Is that what you meant?

Thanks so much for helping - you guys are amazing! :)

Attached Files

#5 Diana K

Diana K
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

That means a problem with a corrupt or missing creature (.cre file) - obviously being the ravager if you're trying to transform into that, but offhand I don't know which .cre or even which spell triggers it - you'd have to look at or attach that instead - a saved game probably won't help much.

That makes sense... but it probably also means I won't be able to get past that challenge too, and it won't let me finish the game. :(

I'm not very good with technical matters, but I'm certainly ready to try: is there something specific I should be looking for, like a file in one of the directories?

Also: should I try removing BP-Ascension and using the one on the WeiDU website instead? Or would that make things worse?

#6 Diana K

Diana K
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

I can now confirm that the Ravager does spawn properly in the last Pocket Plane challenge, which means this isn't a game-breaking bug. I don't know if this matters, but the sprite used for the Pocket Plane Ravager was basically a large red Pit Fiend. Is it supposed to look like that?

At any rate, while I wish I could figure out the problem, I've gone over every mod I installed and there's no mention of this particular issue - one suggestion was that I should remove BP-Ascension and use the WeiDU Ascension instead, but I'm concerned that may corrupt my saves and I'm too close to the end to risk it...

Hoping there's another way out of this mess... :)

EDIT: I went ahead and removed BP-Ascension, installing WeiDU-Ascension in its place. Everything works perfectly now. :)

Edited by Diana K, 08 October 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#7 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:36 AM

I could have found the problem (but I could be wrong, since I've only had a quick look at the problem):

I have looked at the new resources added to the game by Ascension; one of them is RAVAGER.CRE.

I looked at the original Ascension (from weidu.org) and BP and I've noticed that a CRE called RAVAGER.CRE is added to the GAME. But in BP it is COPYed during the installation of the main component, and not during the installation of Ascension.
Since you installed BP-Ascension without the BP main component, I guess you were missing that CRE...

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#8 Archaos

Archaos
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hey guys. I registered just to post this.

I am having the same problem with Diana. I used only the BP-Ascension component, without the core.
Does that component contain everything from Weidu-Ascension, except the RAVAGER.CRE file? Can I just copy that file from a Weidu-Ascension installation and be totally identical and bugfree?
Or should I just install Weidu-Ascension after the Fixpack and be done with it?

#9 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

I am having the same problem with Diana. I used only the BP-Ascension component, without the core.
Does that component contain everything from Weidu-Ascension, except the RAVAGER.CRE file? Can I just copy that file from a Weidu-Ascension installation

You can copy ravager.cre from the BP/CRE folder into the override folder.

and be totally identical

It is not totally identical: BP-Asc means that it contains Ascension+improved Artificial Intelligence for Ascension creatures.

and bugfree?

I can't say whether it will be totally bugfree. I can only say that I don't know of any other reported bug which occurs in BP-Asc and not in the original Ascension.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#10 Archaos

Archaos
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

Kinda off-topic, but I think the reason Diana and I installed BP-Ascension, was because it patches files instead of overwriting them like the original does.
So is there some way to install both Fixpack and Ascension and have them both play nicely?

Installing Ascension first, breaks the upgrades. Installing it after, breaks some fixes.
Is there a patch version of Ascension maybe? Except the BP version, which needs the core component which install a bunch of other stuff also.
If not, are the broken fixes important?

I apologize for all the questions but I searched everywhere and everyone has different opinions on how to make them work.

Edited by Archaos, 20 October 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#11 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Kinda off-topic, but I think the reason Diana and I installed BP-Ascension, was because it patches files instead of overwriting them like the original does.
So is there some way to install both Fixpack and Ascension and have them both play nicely?

Installing Ascension first, breaks the upgrades. Installing it after, breaks some fixes.
Is there a patch version of Ascension maybe? Except the BP version, which needs the core component which install a bunch of other stuff also.
If not, are the broken fixes important?

I apologize for all the questions but I searched everywhere and everyone has different opinions on how to make them work.

From what I know, the only patch version of Asc is BP-Asc.
If you just copy that file, it should also work without BP main component.
Some of the fixes by the fixpack are quite important, but I don't know to what extent Asc breaks the fixpack.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#12 Archaos

Archaos
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

So, after installing the Fixpack and then the BG-main component and BP-Ascension component, everything is perfect, except every creature is smarter right?
How much smarter? Impossible smarter or just not stupid smarter? I ask because I don't want to make my game almost impossible, requiring cheesy tactics.

Edited by Archaos, 20 October 2011 - 02:26 PM.