Photo

Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#561 Valamyr

Valamyr
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

A very 'wild' question that nobody can likely answer in absolutes but that's still worth pondering about;

Is it fair to say that once a mod becomes compatible with BGEE for PC (following whatever adaptations will be required), it should mean that the same mod would then work too on the Android and iOS versions? Or will that require even more work on the part of the original modder if its to happen at all?

Thanks for your input. I feel a well-modded BG saga could kick an amazing amount of ass on an 10 inch Android screen, seems like something I'd like to try and then some :)

#562 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

There are a lot of complexities involved in making games moddable on the iOS platform, so I wouldn't count on it or for Android, at least for a while yet. From our side of things, however, I doubt there would be many differences. They're looking into making or using a mod platform (such as Steamworks) to handle it, but it's not exactly easy due to Apple's TOS.

#563 Valamyr

Valamyr
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the input! Unfortunate of course... Im primarily a PC gamer but making this game mobile would change everything. BG is long outdated by PC standards but it could still be a hit on tablets!

#564 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the input! Unfortunate of course... Im primarily a PC gamer but making this game mobile would change everything. BG is long outdated by PC standards but it could still be a hit on tablets!

Call me a cynic, but I think the "hit" status can be thrown out of the window here, because that one's only valid on PC platforms, and that was over a decade ago. The masses using smart phones and tablets like to play titles like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds and whatnot. They don't want "overly complicated" things like the BG series. It'll do well with the reviewers of tablet/smart phone games, I'm sure, but I really don't see much potential for a mainstream mobile hit here. It should be one by all merits, but is it going to be? I think not.

#565 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Ipads aren't a good market for complex RPGs at all, especially when I can buy 20 cool games for their price.

#566 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

In what universe is "Fruit Ninja" a cool game? :P

#567 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, in total Fruit Ninja brought me more enjoyment than Baldur's Gate so something must be up.

#568 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Let's try to keep this on topic, guys. A topic on other tablet games can be opened up in General Gameplay if you wish.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#569 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Don't you think that this is a great opportunity for:

- get a lot of fresh and young blood into IE modding

About as probable as a sudden rise in punch card programming enthusiasts.
Also I don't even know what to say about Chloe being your favorite mod, come on, guy!

#570 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Quote!=edit

Edited by Almateria, 31 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#571 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

so from those 3 Chloe is the best ! Sexi lesbian hmmm :)

You are the reason why gaming comunity is the worst

Edited by Almateria, 01 September 2012 - 02:32 AM.

#572 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

I am certain that your achievements in esports greatly offset your casual objectification of women which is not a gigantic problem in gaming community at all, forgive me my transgression

#573 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Let's keep things civil and on-topic, everyone.

#574 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

I am certain that your achievements in esports greatly offset your casual objectification of women which is not a gigantic problem in gaming community at all, forgive me my transgression

If it was the other way around you would be gobbling it up the way people do in its current form. Try not to sound so high and mighty...It doesn't suit you...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#575 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, I guess I agree, in the nega-universe my behaviot would probably be mirrored too
But for now let's stick to reality. So, that BGEE, what a good idea and what a shameful execution, right?

#576 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, I guess I agree, in the nega-universe my behaviot would probably be mirrored too
But for now let's stick to reality. So, that BGEE, what a good idea and what a shameful execution, right?

Are you a Beta-tester?

#577 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Almateria, seriously, knock it off with the insults. It's not acceptable behaviour here. Opinions about the game are fine, but personal attacks are most definitely not. There are other ways to express your points than "you're an idiot."

In terms of your negativity towards BG:EE, I'm actually curious, what are your misgivings? You obviously have a very strong opinion about it, why's that?

#578 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

I was going to make a nasty comment that a 15yo should not be playing BG in the first place, but much to my dismay, the game is rated as T/15+. Ah, well :)

Retired from modding.

#579 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

He started okay

In terms of your negativity towards BG:EE, I'm actually curious, what are your misgivings? You obviously have a very strong opinion about it, why's that?

Standard issues really, like for instance:
- Beamdog being unable to actually do anything new with BG due to how their contract was formed
- Them making money with not their game (okay that's a pathetic complain but still)
- Monetizing free mods, there was a gigantic outrage when Sikret+Baronius made Improved Anvil pay-to-play, but when a big company does it, everything's fine and dandy
- Crowdsourcing translations, that's just terrible and a sign that Beamdog is either understaffed, doesn't have money or set up an unrealistic deadline
- Nerd pandering (sexy elf mages)
- Not actually improving the graphics aside from the resolution fix. Blurring the edges is not an improvement
- They don't even try to fit the new content into the game. A IWD-style separate dungeon? Come on.
- 20$ for a 15 year old game. Even when Square Enix does that, they at least make a proper remake.
- Their naive expectations about 500k sold copies on iPads
- Trent Oster has a mad gross soulpatch
I think that's it, obviously what angers me the most is the translation crowdsourcing, if an actual game studio, say Bethesda, did that, the gaming community, terrible as it may be, would rip them a new one. Which led me to realization that BG fans are at this point either metaphorically blind to shady business as long as it involves the game they are so strangely enamored with, or they just want to spread the game to the masses forgetting it will not happen.

Also yeah the ratings are right, although I don't believe any sane 12 year old would play this when Sleeping Dogs got released 3 weeks ago and kicks a hellacious amount of ass, everyone go and play it.

#580 Valamyr

Valamyr
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

I was going to make a nasty comment that a 15yo should not be playing BG in the first place, but much to my dismay, the game is rated as T/15+. Ah, well :)

Which is fairly silly. I played BG1 when I was either 10 or 11 when it first came out. Nothing really even warrants PG13.