Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#521 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

Since when liking BG:EE automatically qualifies anyone as "dev fluffer"?

#522 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

The shills are emboldened! There's nowhere decent to actually discuss games anymore. The testimonials from dev fluffers are so transparent and never address the real criticisms.

You're right, Silver. This isn't worth $20 unless you absolutely need it on your tablet (I hear GemRB weeping). I've seen no fixes that aren't already implemented elsewhere. I'm meh on the new content since none of them have any pedigree for it (NWN OC was absolute shit, led by Oster) and I don't need more NPCs, especially ones trying to get into my virtual pants (romances in BG? Really?). If they had done something to actually make the game better, I'd be all over it.

Actually, the abundance of fixpacks & "stuff fixing" mods at the moment is bad and user unfriendly.
Having all these fixes integrated in the core game, at the very least, is good, and worth of a few $ by itself.

No longer having to rely on Widescreen is also a nice perk, as is all of the updates to the UI & scalable / zoom. Regarding the romances getting into your virtual pants, guess what ? Romances were part of BG2, and were considered one of its perks.
Lots of people like romances. Myself, I could care less, but in a game, you have to appeal to everyone.

It's not like 20 bucks is a lot of money anyway...

#523 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Every person liking BGEE is objectively terrible.

Moderator: Member has received a warning for this post.

Edited by Eleima, 02 August 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#524 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Oi.. I resemble that remark :D !

#525 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

So far, no game resources have been altered: CamDawg, who is a member of the beta testing team together with several other modders, said he saw nothing to worry him and the devs have been very responsive to modders' concerns.

Just because it didn't worry Cam, doesn't mean it won't worry others. I hope there will be a fully documented list of changes when EE is out.

Trolling, astroturfing, or just plain old ignorance? I can't decide...

Trolling, astroturfing, or just plain old ignorance? I can't decide...

Oi.. I resemble that remark :D !

Who gives a damn about trollhaters. Let them stroke their tiny egos, I say, nobody cares for their opinion anyway :P

Edited by GeN1e, 01 August 2012 - 10:17 AM.

Retired from modding.

#526 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just because it didn't worry Cam, doesn't mean it won't worry others. I hope there will be a fully documented list of changes when EE is out.

I believe the devs have already committed to that :) The fact the Cam saw nothing to worry him is at least a good start.

#527 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

"Dev fluffer" should never fall out of use. :lol:

I'm still very underwhelmed by the whole thing. The technical stuff they're providing looks neat moddingwise, but is utterly insignificant from a purely gaming perspective given its use and the mods currently available, for free. New content is a question mark, but the NWN background doesn't fill me with anything positive. And it's not about the price, US$20 is not THAT much, it's about the value. A few unnecesary tech tweaks and some minor added content to a more than a decade old game by a neophyte company is not worth 20 bucks IMO. Stuff like Wasteland 2 or Dead State was available for less than that, and those are/will be new, full games.

At the end, the one that likes it (or not) buys (or not) and that's it, but given that this initiative is allegedly related to making another BG game, I don't think they're making a good case for that at all. We'll see.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#528 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

So far, no game resources have been altered: CamDawg, who is a member of the beta testing team together with several other modders, said he saw nothing to worry him and the devs have been very responsive to modders' concerns.

I imagine this is a job that will end up being not for the devs, but for the die-hard modding fans.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#529 Argumentative

Argumentative
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

Underwhelmed by BG:EE so far. When they called it Enhanced Edition, I hoped they would improve the story a bit. (Any Paladin should immediately fall after the Gorion death cut-scene, because he ran away without assisting his own father in great peril!) I hoped they would fix stuff like that and make it less blatantly and illogically rail-roadish. (Oh, my dad died. Let me faff about in these yonder mines not even in the same country I grew up all my life in, as surely this will lead to his killer) The Nashkel chapter starting cut-scene even has the narrator saying you have no bloody clue how this relates to your current predicament but Gorion would totally want you to do this.

Instead, they just did stuff that the modding community has been working on for a decade now. Romances? Jaheira romance made me want to punch my monitor and it is un-installable, unlike badly written fan mods. And the graphics update hurts my eyes. Aparently the contract for working on EE prohibits them from changing anything story or dialogue wise. So what's the point?

#530 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Just another warning, personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can be wary of BG:EE all you like, discuss the pros and cons of it.
But no personal attacks.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#531 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Regardless of all the chit chat here I am still going to give it a try...Like many have said $20 USD is really not that much...So there is not much to lose and a lot to gain...Now if this were a regular 50 or 60 USD game I sure as hell would wait for the reviews and what not...But since it's BG (and decently cheap) I am willing to let that slide and give them a shot to see what they are made of!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#532 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

For what it'w worth, here's my take: I run a win 7 64-bit, nVidia GTX8800, 1920x1200 monitor (which doesn't like 4:3 settings at all) intel quad-core system, which doesn't run the original discs properly - graphics issues mostly, but some wierd CTDs. If the EE will run correctly on my sistem, I'll happily buy it.

Mods? I used the fix packs, but I can live without them if I have to, although nothing I have read so far says that mods won't work.

I'd rather pay for a re-issue of a game which will run on a modern system than maintain a second PC to run my older games, of which there are quite a few. Bethesda and Lucas Arts, I'm looking at you!

#533 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Underwhelmed by BG:EE so far. When they called it Enhanced Edition, I hoped they would improve the story a bit. (Any Paladin should immediately fall after the Gorion death cut-scene, because he ran away without assisting his own father in great peril!) I hoped they would fix stuff like that and make it less blatantly and illogically rail-roadish. (Oh, my dad died. Let me faff about in these yonder mines not even in the same country I grew up all my life in, as surely this will lead to his killer) The Nashkel chapter starting cut-scene even has the narrator saying you have no bloody clue how this relates to your current predicament but Gorion would totally want you to do this.

Instead, they just did stuff that the modding community has been working on for a decade now. Romances? Jaheira romance made me want to punch my monitor and it is un-installable, unlike badly written fan mods. And the graphics update hurts my eyes. Aparently the contract for working on EE prohibits them from changing anything story or dialogue wise. So what's the point?

At the same time, The Witcher 2 : EE did nothing to change the story and core gameplay, but added some content to the final act and a new intro movie.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#534 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

I'd rather pay for a re-issue of a game which will run on a modern system than maintain a second PC to run my older games, of which there are quite a few. Bethesda and Lucas Arts, I'm looking at you!

VirtualPC? It's free from Microsoft and does a reasonable job of running older versions of Windows on 64-bit systems. As you'd expect... :D

-Y-

#535 Argumentative

Argumentative
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

At the same time, The Witcher 2 : EE did nothing to change the story and core gameplay, but added some content to the final act and a new intro movie.

I guess I am just spoiled by Thief: Gold edition. That game really fleshed the original out and was well worth buying what's essentially an add-on pack for a game I already played a few times. So when people say they are enhancing a game, I hope they are improving what's an established world and giving it more life, closing plot-holes and taking the immersion up a notch. The enhanced version should feel just like the original, only better. Instead this sounds like an expansion pack like ToTSC with a graphics upgrade that I am not really sure is an upgrade :P

Having said that, I might find myself buying this thing, just the same. It's just that based on what's been show so far, a couple of games on GoG.com are currently on the list ahead of BG:EE for me. To each his own, I guess :)

#536 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

So when people say they are enhancing a game, I hope they are improving what's an established world and giving it more life, closing plot-holes and taking the immersion up a notch. The enhanced version should feel just like the original, only better. Instead this sounds like an expansion pack like ToTSC with a graphics upgrade that I am not really sure is an upgrade

Why not post your ideas on the BGEE Forum? Giving the developers good input is the best way of ensuring you get what you want.

#537 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

And the Witcher 2 EE was free! Those asshole developers, not charging money for their own gamr!

Anyway, it baffles me you people think BG is worth 20$, I don't even know how to argue with that stance. I'm out of gere, have fun with your future astigmatism.

#538 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Mod reminder: please keep things civil and refrain from personal attacks on other posters. Those who want BGEE will get it. Those who don't will still have or can get BG1, with Trilogy, Tutu, or other mods as they prefer.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#539 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Most reviewers and many players thought that the final act was the weakest part of the game, that it was to short and the game didn't have a proper conclusion. So they expanded the 3rd act by adding new quests (which don't change the main storyline but add to it) and an epilogue (after ME3 nobody can't say it's nothing).
(EE added more cinematics than just the intro - 7, not counting the epilogue)
They improved what their fans wanted them to be improve - I think that's the way to do an enhanced edition.

In contrast I never thought that BG1 needs another joinable NPC, or an arena mode. I always wanted a better UI (i could kill for a shared inventory, like the one in DAO), but Beamdog haven't yet released any info on that.

What's the most important when you compare TW2EE and BG1EE is that the first one is completely free, the second isn't (which is fine, but it's still an important factor).

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#540 Argumentative

Argumentative
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

Why not post your ideas on the BGEE Forum? Giving the developers good input is the best way of ensuring you get what you want.

I want Gorion's death cut-scene altered along these lines:
Spoiler

The changes I want are along these lines. Tightening the story telling, improving dialogue so Jaheira and Khaleid's joining banter doesn't amount to "Oops! Your dad died, huh? Sorry about that kiddo. Hey! We are going to clear out some mines, wanna be our meatshield?". Stuff like that.

But that's not possible because:

"1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

I am not exactly whining that BG : EE isn't made to please me. Merely commenting that it isn't an enhanced edition (which should actually enhance the gameplay experience of the original) but is more like an expansion pack. I already dread the mega mod marathons I do of this game and don't really care for more fluff. :P

Having said that, I am not bashing the work they are doing. If people enjoy this, great! As I said, I might buy this myself. Eventually... :ermm: