Photo

Not having much luck....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Made several attempts to install BWP this weekend, each of them crashing at some point in the process. Figured it made sense to break down and ask for suggestions, instead of getting more frustrated.

Path is C:\BWP\BGII - SoA. I am running the installer in that drive. BG1 and 2 are in that folder, with ToTSC (from the 3-disc set) and ToB from the original discs). Both are patched.

My last attempt was eliminating most BGII content and focusing on BGI, since I figure I'll be lucky to get far enough to worry about BGII the way things are going.

This last time I at least got as far as the Graphics and Portraits section before the installation crashed. Am attaching the debug and weidu logs.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Did you have enough disk space to install the BWP? Usally, a error message of "FAILED: cannot open target" means that you ran out of disk space - I've recived similar messages during failed installs of Gen Biffing.

EDIT: Actually, I've never encountered this error, nor know how to work around that... Someone more expirenced than me (like Tumbar) will help you better with this problem.

Edited by William Imm, 27 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.

At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#3 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, William. Not a disk space issue, I've got almost 300GB free.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

ERROR: Sys_error("BGMain.exe: Permission denied")

This is probably either a Win7 permissions error or antivirus/firewall software interfering with patching an executable. It is best to disconnect from the internet after downloading everything, turn off all memory-resident software (from the taskbar, Services panel and/or Task Manager), make sure you have full Administrative privileges on your ID, make sure bgmain.exe is not flagged read-only or something (unlikely).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Miloch,

Thank you very much! Acting on your suggestion, the installation completed last night (minus the mod the install crashed on last time). Should be able to give this a shot tonight, now!

I'd kinda like to go ahead and try again with the BG2 stuff I wanted, but it feels like tempting fate. How cross-functional are savegames from different installs? Is that a virtually guaranteed disaster, or if I played through BG1 content and then did a full reinstall, am I likely to be able to continue? I suppose in a worst case, I could edit xp and items for charname, if not the rest of the party....

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

How cross-functional are savegames from different installs?

They aren't really, unless both saves had the same versions of the same mods installed in the same order. Main problem being you will have different text strings otherwise for your items etc., but there are other potential problems too.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

And it works indeed. Tonight, this incarnation of CHARNAME, an elvish F/M/T, got as far as the end of the Nashkel mine.

#8 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Okay, so I've been enjoying playing again, for the first time in years, for the past few days. Gotten almost through Bone Hill; just finished the sewers and came out into the graveyard. However, I've been having occasional crash issues. Nothing specific, just the computer locking up so I have to reboot. Irritating, but manageable.

However, this afternoon, when I started to play, the game refused to load when I hit 'single player.' I get a pop-up window "An assertion failed in ChVidImage3d/cpp at line number 1957,"

Any suggestions?

#9 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

You probably have corrupted save. At least i had when i got that CTD (and that error code) when i was trying to load savegame sometime ago.

Try to delete autosave folder at save folder (it was corrupted in my game).

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#10 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Did you have enough disk space to install the BWP? Usally, a error message of "FAILED: cannot open target" means that you ran out of disk space - I've recived similar messages during failed installs of Gen Biffing.

EDIT: Actually, I've never encountered this error, nor know how to work around that... Someone more expirenced than me (like Tumbar) will help you better with this problem.

Concerning the amount of space needed for a BGT game. Here are the amounts my BGT game, which has ~180 mods, uses.

One partition (E:/) has Baldur's Gate, BGII - SoA (full BGT game after BiG World Cleanup.bat was run), and zip files of Baldur's Gate and BGII - SoA (without BGT). This uses ~21.5 GB. The other partition (H:/) has only the compressed and extracted mods for the BGT game. This uses another ~13 GB. Another partition has Baldur's Gate/BGII - SoA game related files and uses another 10 GB.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 02 April 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#11 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Been progressing through BG1 content nicely. Some minor issues, but nothing significant. Have been through the Dark Side content and now exploring the city of Baldur's Gate. Arkion doesn't want to give me his quest to get the bodies...dunno if that's a bugged variable, or some mod or other has changed something. Not sure whether I killed the ogre mages in Peldvale or not...but they're not turning up, and Shilo doesn't seem to think I've done it.

But I am now having an issue with the Grey Clan. When I go to the Friendly Arm Inn, the cutscene never starts. Dunno if I'm at the wrong FAA--does the mod 'modify' the original, or use an alternate? But looks like I'm not going to be able to finish this part.

(Oh, and I thought I'd posted that deleting the quicksave fixed my issue, but I don't see it...so either I imagined doing so, or the forum eated it...so belated thanks to micbaldur!)

Edited by medhbh, 10 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#12 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Did you install BGT Tweak Pack component "Arkion reacts to player's reputation"? Maybe this is the problem. I'm not 100% sure but i don't install that component.

Shilo's Ogre Mages are:
Spoiler

About Grey Clan did you:
Spoiler

#13 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Mic: Yes, that Arkion component was installed. So--working as intended!

I thought the ogres were in Peldvale. That's why I couldn't find them. Thanks, I'll try out there!

And yes, I did the rescue thing and got the tip to go to the FAA. Then nothing happened when I got there.

TGC, at least, I've played through before, unless it's changed significantly...unlike a lot of other things that have been developed since...'05? I think that was the last time I invested any time in the world of Baldur's Gate.

#14 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Sorry! I don't know what's the problem with Grey Clan (i'm only player not modder). I didn't have any problems with Grey Clan when i played through it few days ago.

Areacode for Grey Clan Friendly Arm Inn is BW0501. I don't know what happens if you cluaconsole there.

#15 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

CLUA'ed to BW0501. The zone was blacked out as if unexplored. No signs of bad guys. Entering the Inn brought me to a small crypt with a few tombs, like those in the Valley you exit the Nashkel Mines in. So I'm guessing it's a FUBAR-install issue.

#16 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Area sounds about right except missing enemies.

Are Globals "BW05_TGC1_FAIInvaded" set to "1" and "BW05_TGC1" set to "7" before entering Friendly Arm Inn.

Edited by micbaldur, 12 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#17 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, Mic. After escaping Candlekeep I went to Ulgoth's Beard and have done Durlag's Tower, and just went to Icewind Dale with Driz'zt...I'll head back to FAA after and with the variables set thusly and see what happens.

KANGAXX is in the Driz'zt Saga? Belhifet as an opener wasn't enough? Yeesh....

#18 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I hope it works at FAA if not then i don't know wants wrong. :new_thumbs:

If you find Drizzt Saga too easy i recommend Askaria Mod for you next BWP install. It's overwhelming experience. ;)

#19 medhbh

medhbh
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Me again. Been a while. :)

After playing through all the BG1 content and getting to Chateau Irenicus, I realized I hadn't installed NeJ. While I'd made the conscious decision to leave out BG2 content, given the installation issues I was having way back when, I thought I'd included it, but there was no getting through that mirror. Rather than continue, I took a few weeks off and played through IWD/HoW/TotL. Now I'm back, and my re-installation, of the 'tactical' setup, using the 4/22 version of the BWS autoinstaller from the German language site, went very smoothly after a few false starts (and leaving out a few minor mods).

However, the game hangs when trying to open the menu to load or save a game. It doesn't crash, it just freezes up. Not just the game, but my computer (I can't alt-tab to another program, I've got to reboot).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

#20 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Me again. Been a while. :)

After playing through all the BG1 content and getting to Chateau Irenicus, I realized I hadn't installed NeJ. While I'd made the conscious decision to leave out BG2 content, given the installation issues I was having way back when, I thought I'd included it, but there was no getting through that mirror. Rather than continue, I took a few weeks off and played through IWD/HoW/TotL. Now I'm back, and my re-installation, of the 'tactical' setup, using the 4/22 version of the BWS autoinstaller from the German language site, went very smoothly after a few false starts (and leaving out a few minor mods).

However, the game hangs when trying to open the menu to load or save a game. It doesn't crash, it just freezes up. Not just the game, but my computer (I can't alt-tab to another program, I've got to reboot).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

You could have corrupted save game in save folder. I had this kind of problem while back and it was corrupted autosave. You could try deleting (moving) saves from save folder.