• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Nifty. So this will be compatible with Tutu/BGT/BGEE?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Yep. I'm not sure her BG2 incarnation will be compatible with BGT, though, as she does change noticeably between games, to the point of a new voice script. By BG2, she's distinctly more mature and self-confident than her BG1 personality.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#23 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

She'll definitely be compatible with BGT (all the way through) and TuTu, and if cmorgan gets the crossplatform stuff for BGEE done before release, hopefully BG:EE too. :)

#24 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Cross-platform for BGEE should, in theory, be the same as cross-platform with BG1. It is largely the area names that will be different (or the same as in BG1).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#25 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yep, but we don't have to worry about the specifics with cmorgan's crossplatform stuff--but it will be one of the early mods to use it, so there will be some extensive testing needed.

#26 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Mainly? Edwin basically never does anything actually evil in the party's presence, and Valerie won't go "You're obviously evil. Die, evil-doer!" More to the point, Edwin and Valerie genuinely like each other (in a non-romantic sense - well, Edwin would probably sleep with her in a heartbeat) despite how much they may seem not to. They're both smart, intellectual, formally trained mages who love the complexities and theories underlying magic. All it takes is a little insincere flattery to make Edwin purr.

Just saw this, and took another look at the various banters etc. -- I am actually pretty sure Edwin does some pretty damn evil things in the party's presence, including asking them to kill a Cowled Wizard in cold blood. Even in BG1, he only joins to kill Dynaheir, a lawful good Wychlaran. If you read through Edwin's BioWare banters he very rarely 'purrs'. I doubt he would like Valerie at all, actually; she's a weak, spineless woman (and let's make no mistake, Edwin is a misogynist)--a sorcerer, no less, even if she has studied book magic (Red Wizards despise sorcerers)--and she believes that magic should be limited and controlled.

Nah, it's not necessarily that he's evil so much as that he's irresponsible when it comes to magic. There's the infamous Nether Scroll incident, and then an unrelated banter where Mazzy calls him out on being constantly reckless with his spellcasting. Unless the crazy doesn't really start showing until BG2, which I suppose is possible.

Plus, this. Imoen did *not* cast magic recklessly at all; she was trying to protect herself and the PC with what little strength she had left, I would not in any way call that 'reckless', especially in comparison to Edwin's blatant disregard for careful experimentation and study in the face of a hugely powerful magical artifact.

#27 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hmmm. Didn't realize the mage Edwin asks you to kill is a Cowled Wizard, and the rest of that... Hmmm. You're probably right. I don't see Edwin as a misogynist, mind, merely a would-be womanizer, but I do see him as receptive to anyone willing to flatter him, however shallowly. Pretty much no one in the Bioware cast is actually nice to him, to my knowledge, so it's hard to say. I'll play some and check, but if Edwin does indeed ask the party to kill a Cowled Wizard in cold blood... yeah, Valerie's going to be pissed. Potentially to the point of refusing to stay in the party if you declare your intention to proceed.

This will teach me to sketch out character dynamics before making a point of re-familiarizing myself with said characters.

On the Imoen note, Valerie simply doesn't see it that way. Especially if you befriend her in BG1, Valerie will conclude that Imoen rarely thinks before acting. A significant mistake made with the best of intentions is still a significant mistake.

Edited by Tempest, 30 October 2012 - 07:10 PM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#28 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

In other news, I hate writing for Imoen - Valerie and Imoen have a bunch of banters in BG2, largely because their interactions will be completely different based on whether or not you befriended Valerie in BG1 (mainly because Valerie and Imoen become friends in BG1). Jaheira may also get this treatment - Minsc gets one extra banter if you befriended Valerie in BG1.

Edited by Tempest, 01 November 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#29 olnorton

olnorton
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for another BG1 NPC :coolthumb:

Just started a new TuTu game & have just picked up Valerie in  Naskel

The readme.html has her starting in Beregost.

#30 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Odd. She's definitely supposed to be in Nashkel. Informing K'aeloree about the readme screwup.

#31 -XKal-

-XKal-

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've been playing with Valerie for a dew days now.  Great job!

I've noticed a couple of oddities/potential bugs. 

(1) My PC got the 'You're just not my type' dialogue despite being female and half-elven, and the friendship track seeming to go fine.  Maybe I'm just picking poor choices during the preceding dialogues?  (It also happened really early on; I had not made it into Cloakwood yet)

(2) On both that playthrough and my current one, I've noticed that the CHARNAME tag shows up a lot in Val's dialogue, rather than my character's actual name.  I have not noticed the issue with the Isra NPC mod, and the rest of the NPCs seem to still be doing ok. :)

Neither issue really bothers me... it's just nice to have some NPCs that actually banter, when most of BGEE (and vanilla BG) is so quiet without the BG1NPC mod. :)  Thanks for the great work!

#32 -XKal-

-XKal-

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I've been playing with Valerie for a dew days now.  Great job!

I've noticed a couple of oddities/potential bugs. 

(1) My PC got the 'You're just not my type' dialogue despite being female and half-elven, and the friendship track seeming to go fine.  Maybe I'm just picking poor choices during the preceding dialogues?  (It also happened really early on; I had not made it into Cloakwood yet)

(2) On both that playthrough and my current one, I've noticed that the CHARNAME tag shows up a lot in Val's dialogue, rather than my character's actual name.  I have not noticed the issue with the Isra NPC mod, and the rest of the NPCs seem to still be doing ok. :)

Neither issue really bothers me... it's just nice to have some NPCs that actually banter, when most of BGEE (and vanilla BG) is so quiet without the BG1NPC mod. :)  Thanks for the great work!

Forgot to mention for (1) that my reputation is also 12 or above at the time the dialogue happens. :)

#33 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Glad you're enjoying it. :)

1. Which talk are you on? Valerie will give that line early in the friendship even if you meet her BG2 romance requirements. She'll warm as time goes on.

2. Letting K'aeloree know.

#34 -XKal-

-XKal-

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Glad you're enjoying it. :)

1. Which talk are you on? Valerie will give that line early in the friendship even if you meet her BG2 romance requirements. She'll warm as time goes on.

2. Letting K'aeloree know.

Ah, that must be the issue with #1 :)  Since I was restarting anyway, I did not wait to see if further talks commenced. :)  Since the FAQ for whether she'd be romanceable in BG2 specified that her telling you you were not her type was an indicator, it did not occur to me she might say so at different times.  Classic example of me outsmarting myself. :P :)  Thanks!

#35 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

You're welcome. Valerie will consistently give that line if you don't meet her BG2 romance requirements, but she warms to Charname as the friendship progresses if you do. The BG1 friendship can even end on a romantic note that will have consequences in BG2.

Detailed answer:

Spoiler

On that note, fair warning from writing her BG2 romance so far: you get to know Valerie much better on-camera in BG1 than BG2. Her BG2 friendship arc is heavily preoccupied with events that take place during BG2, and on camera you won't get to know Valerie as well. I note the "on camera" bit because there will at times be points where *Charname* knows Valerie better than the *player* does - for example, at one point a dialogue option given to Charname indicates that s/he knows something's up when Valerie offers to take first watch and let Charname go on to bed, noting that she's not normally a night owl.

Edited by Tempest, 12 January 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#36 olnorton

olnorton
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well I finished my first runthrough with Valerie & look forward the seeing her again in BG2.

In spite of the fact she never made it through the final battle with Sarevok.

I got the beautiful & brave reply on #7 :woot:

I finished the game on friendtalk 25

I got a couple of banters with party members, but none with Isra, in spite of having the crossmod banters installed. :unsure:

I played some of them at the end with Ctrl + I, so I probably just got through the game too quickly.

Would Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script mod that comes with BG1NPC's work with this?

#37 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm glad you had fun. :)

You missed a number of friendtalks - the friendtalk variable being 25 means you finished friendtalks 1-12. Valerie's friendship consists of 17 total, though one friendtalk will be completely different depending on whether she saw something particular in the Cloakwood Mines. Talk 17 is the conclusion, and if you meet her BG2 romance requirements, you can get a romantic ending to the friendship that you can refer to when you meet her in BG2, which has effects on the romance.

I'm not sure how the Accelerated Banter Script mod works, so I can't say whether it would work. Depends on if it modifies the basic structure of banters or modifies the BG1 NPC Project, and I'm not sure which it does.

By the sounds of it, you did play through the game too quickly. You missed 5 friendtalks, and Valerie has at least two banters with every Bioware NPC plus Isra.

No BG2 progress to report for now. I'm on my third iteration of lovetalk 7, still not happy with it.

#38 -XKal-

-XKal-

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

You're welcome. Valerie will consistently give that line if you don't meet her BG2 romance requirements, but she warms to Charname as the friendship progresses if you do. The BG1 friendship can even end on a romantic note that will have consequences in BG2.

Detailed answer:

Spoiler

On that note, fair warning from writing her BG2 romance so far: you get to know Valerie much better on-camera in BG1 than BG2. Her BG2 friendship arc is heavily preoccupied with events that take place during BG2, and on camera you won't get to know Valerie as well. I note the "on camera" bit because there will at times be points where *Charname* knows Valerie better than the *player* does - for example, at one point a dialogue option given to Charname indicates that s/he knows something's up when Valerie offers to take first watch and let Charname go on to bed, noting that she's not normally a night owl.

Thanks!  From the spoiler, it sounds like I am on target :)

I'm glad you had fun. :)

You missed a number of friendtalks - the friendtalk variable being 25 means you finished friendtalks 1-12. Valerie's friendship consists of 17 total, though one friendtalk will be completely different depending on whether she saw something particular in the Cloakwood Mines. Talk 17 is the conclusion, and if you meet her BG2 romance requirements, you can get a romantic ending to the friendship that you can refer to when you meet her in BG2, which has effects on the romance.

I'm not sure how the Accelerated Banter Script mod works, so I can't say whether it would work. Depends on if it modifies the basic structure of banters or modifies the BG1 NPC Project, and I'm not sure which it does.

By the sounds of it, you did play through the game too quickly. You missed 5 friendtalks, and Valerie has at least two banters with every Bioware NPC plus Isra.

No BG2 progress to report for now. I'm on my third iteration of lovetalk 7, still not happy with it.

So far, I've gotten banter between Branwen/Valerie, either Isra/Imoen or Val/Imoen (cannot remember which), and Isra/Branwen and Isra/Jaheira.  Good stuff!

#39 Kaigen

Kaigen
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm just getting into the Valerie mod and enjoying myself immensely. After playing mostly BG2, the largely silent NPCs of BGEE had been coming off a little flat. One amusing bit: I'm also playing with the Isra mod, and Valerie and Isra both decided to admonish Imoen for being cavalier with magic at about the same time (My Gnomish Cleric/Illusionist finds this very amusing: "Gee Imoen, you'd think they didn't trust you. Now be careful with those arrows! They're pointy, and you could put somebody's eye out *wink*). I'm curious, am I only seeing these banters because I dual-classed Imoen to Mage, or would I see them anyway, since you have to assume that she picks up spellcasting at some point?

#40 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Glad you're enjoying it. :) Valerie's mage banters with Imoen only work if you dual Imoen to mage, yes. No idea about Isra. Valerie admonishes Imoen because she's an irresponsible child playing with forces she doesn't understand, but I decided that a mage PC has more sense.