Photo

Comments on Pillars of Eternity (aka Project Eternity)

super neato

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#101 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

And it's finished. :)

The total comes to something around 4.1 million dollars taking PayPal into account.

#102 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yep, and they played up to it mighty fine, haha. Well, that was awesome, best of luck to them and I can't wait to see updates in the future!

#103 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Agreed. :)

Gotta love the team at Obsidian, they put on a good show for the final hours. :cheers:

#104 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Without surprise, there was a surge at the end which tipped it over the 4 million tier. Wow. I ahve to say, it's really impressive, I don't think there's been anything quite like this Kickstarter!

And yeah, apparently, they put on a good show, but I was asleep by that time. ;)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#105 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Project Eternity aiming for M-rated fantasy story, but 'no fart jokes'

Is it too late to cancel the pledge? >:(

#106 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Is it too late to cancel the pledge? > :(

You shouldn't do that... :P

Plus, Tim Cain's going to put in some humor anyway.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 18 October 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#107 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Wow its actually going to be M-rated? Well crap...If I had known that earlier I would of pledged! Figured it was just going to be another cheap BG clone or something funded by a bunch of people haha! Joke's on me I guess...It certainly is going to catch my interest now though!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#108 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Wow its actually going to be M-rated? Well crap...If I had known that earlier I would of pledged!

You can still pledge via PayPal. Go here:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

#109 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Is it too late to cancel the pledge? > :(

I would say that if it's "M" in the manner of Fallout 1 (not Fallout 2), then fine.  I think that mainly got it because of the gore (which you could turn off), the excessive language (which you could turn off), and the usage of drugs.   If P:E doesn't go beyond that, it'll be much better than a lot of games out there.   I really don't think language itself will be excessive primarily because of the setting, gore likely no more than the BG games (chunking was optional in that game though).  And I'm really hoping that they don't fall into the new rut of sex scenes.  That would be a real killer to the game, in my opinion.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#110 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

And I'm really hoping that they don't fall into the new rut of sex scenes.

Erhm, it's the setting that gives the M... erhm how can you actually show make the sex in this sort of game... hello, there's not that in F1 or F2, or BG's ... as the engine has the same principle restrictions... if you take a look at view angle of the screenshot that was presented and how it was made, the engine is basically 3 dimension based just like the my mentioned games. PS: 3 dimentional... 1: vertical, 2: horizontal, 3: time ( :P ).

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#111 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

And I'm really hoping that they don't fall into the new rut of sex scenes.

Erhm, it's the setting that gives the M... erhm how can you actually show make the sex in this sort of game... hello, there's not that in F1 or F2, or BG's ... as the engine has the same principle restrictions... if you take a look at view angle of the screenshot that was presented and how it was made, the engine is basically 3 dimension based just like the my mentioned games. PS: 3 dimentional... 1: vertical, 2: horizontal, 3: time ( :P ).

Yeah, I know how it looks.  I'm also thinking along the same lines as you, which is why I backed it. I'm not quite as stupid as I look, you know!   :P

EDIT:  Note, they can go beyond certain bounds with text, too, but if they follow along the lines of the BG games or NWN2: MotB, but perhaps a bit darker, it should be fine.  I haven't played PS:T, so I can't make a comparison there, although that seems to be a big inspiration for the direction they are going with the writing.

Edited by Sir_Carnifex, 18 October 2012 - 02:28 PM.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#112 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Here's what the Lead Designed of PE said on mature themes:

Mature themes, to us, means exploring concepts in a frank manner from many angles through the story and the characters in it. Dead Money explored obsession. Honest Hearts explored religion. Even when dealing with alien (or elven[?!?!]) cultures and magic/technology, themes should relate back to what players would understand as part of the human condition. E.g. a film like District 9 is good at triggering sensitivities to (real world) racism and dehumanization in the audience even though the aliens are fictional.

#113 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for posting the interview. :) Always like reading responses from Chris Avellone.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 04 December 2012 - 03:57 AM.

#114 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

The latest video... I'm at loss for words, it's just stunning.

#115 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Just about this point I'd pledge... but it looks like I'm too late.

[Edit] Found it, done it. I'm now officially a slacker :P

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 10 April 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#116 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Just about this point I'd pledge... but it looks like I'm too late.

[Edit] Found it, done it. I'm now officially a slacker :P

-Y-

Welcome aboard! ;)

#117 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just got around to watching that latest video, and wow, just wow.  The water, the shadows at night, it's incredible what they've done!  And all in 2D, too.  Who ever said 2D was dead?!  :D

Looking real good, that's for sure.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#118 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

What, is there a new video? Because the shadows were terrible, the dynamic lighting was good.

#119 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

And all in 2D, too. Who ever said 2D was dead?! :D

I'll say it's dead... yes, I am referring to the facts in my previous post for the reason a 2D is impossible in a game, any game(vertical, horizontal and TIME). Yep, it's all 3 dimensional, hello you are looking it from a monitor...

What, is there a new video? Because the shadows were terrible, the dynamic lighting was good.

Youtube link.

Edited by The Imp, 12 April 2013 - 10:55 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#120 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

What you say may be true, but you're nitpicking.  It has become common practice in the English language, to refer to 3D graphics versus 2D, even when there's the extra dimension of time factored in.  My comment was meant as an observation of the quality of their work, nothing more, and now you're arguing semantics.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif