• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#101 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't think there are that important characters left. There was an idea to give Candlekeep people portraits so Candlekeep was warmer, full of "faces that we know". In BG2... I'm not sure who's that important... maybe Aran, because he's the quest giver for the whole chapter...

Anyway, such a component won't be present in v2. Well, apart from giving Gorion (BG1) and Tamoko (also BG1) their portraits, because we had those ready anyway :P

#102 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

Well I think that there are really few characters that really need a Paint BG portraits and I would be fully satisfied.
BG1
Winthrop
Mulahey
Tazok
Berrun Ghastkill
Davaeorn
Elminster
Duke Eltan

BG2
Gaelan Bayle
Aran Linvail
Ribald
Saemon Havarian
Ellesime
and optionally Renal Bloodscalp and Cromwell

#103 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Look, guys. There are the key characters - Irenicus, Bodhi, Gorion... characters whithout whom the game wouldn't proceed. And there are people who are just pawns. Winthrop has no real influence, that's why I am not fan of the "give Cnadlekeep people portraits" idea myself. Tazok...he's just a pawn. Same goes for other Iron Throne members. Elminster... he's just a "awesome character"... I'm surprised no one mentioned Drizzt...

There should be a distinctions.

I would agree for Aran, and *maybe* Gaelan, but if there's a yes for Gaelan, people will ask about Valen or Tanova. Ribald...I know he's a nice guy but he's just a merchant. Selling super-goods can't be a reason for giving him a portrait.

Remember that Arta is just one person and she already prepared tons of new portraits. You requested another 14 that would satisfy you. Now imagine all the time and effort she would need to put in drawing another 14 portraits. Some of them would appear just for one or two talks. Gorion and Tamoko will be included only because those were prepared meanwhile, because Arta felt like drawing Gorion and Tamoko was prepared for EE contest (and even though Tamoko is more like a minor character, she is the one who attacked Gorion, who appear as a kind of guide, later, and who would appear in the and pre-boss opponent - she's way more important than Winthrop, Ribald or even Tazok).

I know you people want more, but v2 is almost here. I'm sure there will be many new portraits that can make you enjoy the game even more :)

#104 artastrophe

artastrophe
  • Modder
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who likes it--I'm really glad you all are enjoying it! :)

@ Cahir - I did one for Ellesime quite awhile ago; I think she was in v1. The only one of those I am personally interested in is perhaps Saemon; I think I started a concept awhile ago, though I'd probably redo it at this point... but, yeah, I'd pretty much need to be super-psyched and/or have a lot of ideas in order to be motivated to do all of them, as that is quite an investment of time on my part--unless someone wanted to commission them from me or something--my free time isn't completely worthless to me (nor is it anywhere near as abundant as I would like!), and I have so many other projects I am interested in pursuing far more. Sorry--but I am flattered you are interested! ^^;

And extra thanks to Lava for always sticking up for me/running interference hehehe <3

#105 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

@artastrophe @Lava Del'Vortel easy easy :D  Paint BG is just perfect as it is, I just only stated my wishlist. But rest assured, there is absolutely no problem for me if these character will not receive their portraits. 

You know, I can't imagine a single BG game without your portrait pack. It just feels like integral part of the game.

And I thank thee for it :Bow:

#106 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ok, along with Arta, we promised something. And here it is. Fresh and juicy new version of PaintBG.

PaintBG%20v2%20Poster.jpg

#107 Oracle

Oracle

Bad Doggie Werewolf

• 105 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Great work  I really like  The Moded NPCs pics  especially Darian Arath and Pesty 

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

#108 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Wee :)

Very nice ! :D

Great art, once again :)

Edited by Aranthys, 27 October 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#109 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

There's a lot of work gone into that. It's not my cup of tea but I absolutely could not let it pass without acknowledging the effort that Arta has put into it.

-Y-

#110 -Matt-

-Matt-

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

Firstly kudos to this mods creator it really is fantastic, as I was getting very bored with the original portraits, and this mod has breathed some new life into the game for me. I prefer the style of these portraits to the originals.  

Just a quick question: Is this mod compatible with BG2: EE?

#111 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks!

No BG2EE version yet. Arta wasn't the tester so she had no info about the new character etc. She needs a moment to paint Hexxat. I will update the mod once we're ready.

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 16 November 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#112 -Matt-

-Matt-

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

That's great looking forward to it!  Haven't finished my first complete playthrough of BG:EE yet, so it may turn out that the BG2:EE version is ready just in time for me starting my playthrough of the 2nd game.

I'm looking forward to seeing Arta's interpretation of Hexxat.

#113 -Tim-

-Tim-

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Really looking forward to the BG2: EE version of PaintBG, the portraits are absolutely gorgeous. Well done. 10/10

#114 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Non-WeiDU version of PaintBG for BGEE and BG2EE is available.

http://www.shsforums...intbg-for-bgee/

Sorry, WeiDU version would need too much time and effort and I'm in a difficult life situation right now. However, note that Hexxat and Character X are included.

#115 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Aww, sorry to hear about your life situation. I hope everything will sort out.

Thanks for the package :)

#116 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Oh, and, Hexxat

Spoiler
:D

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 01 December 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#117 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Sorry, edited because some may want to have a surprise ... about ONE specific thing. I bet you know what I mean.

#118 -iavasechui-

-iavasechui-

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

So how do we use non-weidu version? Just stick the portraits in the portrait and override folders for BG2EE?

#119 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just copy the portraits to the "portraits" directory. No need to use override, IIRC :)

#120 -fingerboxes-

-fingerboxes-

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a portrait for Hexxat.