Photo

BPv181 is Released!!!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 nickv2002

nickv2002
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi guys, I had some time to try to install BP on my BG2EE game (now moved to a secondary drive) today, but I'm still getting the error:

ERROR: error loading [BPSeries/source/AICompile.exe]

Hmm, other than the custom script compiler comments I still have no idea how to fix this error. Is the The Big Picture v181 4610 installer working for anyone else? On Windows? With BG2EE?

Thanks.

#42 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Try installing BPSeries scripts first.

#43 nickv2002

nickv2002
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hi guys, I had some time to try to install BP on my BG2EE game (now moved to a secondary drive) today, but I'm still getting the error:

Thanks Kreso. That did the trick. Seems like that could be made more clear or integrated into the installer though.

Anyway, for those with the same issue here's what you need to install first.

Edited by nickv2002, 02 February 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#44 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

@horred the plague could you please explain as much precisely as you can what are the diffrences (content-wise specifically) between BP version of Ascension and orgininal one being worked on by CuV? I'm stalling my BG2EE run because there are still few mods missing for me (including Ascension) and I wonder if your version will be sufficient to me. Since a) I never played Ascension before b) I'm a bit of a roleplayer, I'm not worried at all if BP-Ascension is easier from original or not. What I'm worried is if you managed to save all original plot content intact. If so, I might even live without original Ascension since BP have one or two Tactics components I might be interested in (I remember I loved this Kuroisan guy's katana back in the day).
One more thing, are you able to predict if Tactics components of BP could cause any troubles with SCS general AI improvements? If I install SCS after, could creatures from Tactics encouters benefit from SCS's AI?
You know, as shamefully as it sounds I never used SCS's or BP's AI enhancements before, so I want fully try one of them first, and second one for the future runs. Since I got impression that SCS might be more stable on BG(2)EE at the moment, I'll probably start with this one first. But I suspect whichever I choose it will be a hell of a fighting time waiting for me.
Anyway, I'll be grateful, if you could clarify these few things for me:)

#45 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Thanks Kreso. That did the trick. Seems like that could be made more clear or integrated into the installer though.

Anyway, for those with the same issue here's what you need to install first.

Was just an oversight, didn't know about it til this report. Chunks of code have been copied back and forth between the mods for compatability, and this piece was not meant to be. I'll get it removed next version, sorry for the mixup.

#46 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

@horred the plague could you please explain as much precisely as you can what are the diffrences (content-wise specifically) between BP version of Ascension and orgininal one being worked on by CuV? I'm stalling my BG2EE run because there are still few mods missing for me (including Ascension) and I wonder if your version will be sufficient to me. Since a) I never played Ascension before b) I'm a bit of a roleplayer, I'm not worried at all if BP-Ascension is easier from original or not. What I'm worried is if you managed to save all original plot content intact. If so, I might even live without original Ascension since BP have one or two Tactics components I might be interested in (I remember I loved this Kuroisan guy's katana back in the day).
One more thing, are you able to predict if Tactics components of BP could cause any troubles with SCS general AI improvements? If I install SCS after, could creatures from Tactics encouters benefit from SCS's AI?
You know, as shamefully as it sounds I never used SCS's or BP's AI enhancements before, so I want fully try one of them first, and second one for the future runs. Since I got impression that SCS might be more stable on BG(2)EE at the moment, I'll probably start with this one first. But I suspect whichever I choose it will be a hell of a fighting time waiting for me.
Anyway, I'll be grateful, if you could clarify these few things for me:)

I wish I could ive you a bunch of specifics, but I put this mod together over 10 years ago. Any chance of such a list vanished about 8 years ao when I retired from AI modding (until last year). AI improvements on top of Ascension AI improvements, a better refined Detectable Spells system from the one started by IEEAIS group. So, more intelligent checks available thus more intellient choices. If you throw in the ToB improvements the Fire Giants will throw boulders like the PnP giants used to. You'll see a few extra goons in various places, with the Normal and up difficulty settings. Nothing overly drastic, in all honesty. If you find it too much in any specific case, just change difficulty to Very Easy before entering the area in question. You can set it back afterwards--this is enough to cancel the BP extra encounter spawns.

The original reason Ascension was added to BP predates the modern weidu installer. The original (& original weidu) Ascension were a horrible overwriter of vanilla game files, and incompatible w/ other mods. BP originally was "The" compatibility mod, and Ascension was absorbed for the greater good. While at it, I gave it a "shave and a haircut"--the little touches I mentioned above. Even to this day, it's by far the most mod-friendly version available. When Cuv gets his version out, I'll gladly recede that claim. :)

Otherwise the story should be intact, nothing was purposely changed dialog-wise. I heard there's a single (1) one-liner made by Dorn to Gromnir that would be missed by the old Ascension, but I haven't delved into it yet. Not sure when I'll have modding time for a bit, either.

Tactics? I don't use the Tactics components, just keep them in a mod-friendly form as a courtesy to others. Maybe somebody else could answer this better.  Though in general SCS doesn't play nice with BP. If installed after BP it overwrites BP's AI scripts from the inside, with its own. So much for compatability...It's best to choose which parts of each AI mod you want--one or the other for similar components (not "Mages" from both mods e.g.)--and install BP after SCS. BP has some code to make the base cross-installation work more smoothly, at least attempts to play nice with SCS.

I tested BP on BG2EE from Jonny's dungeon to end of Underdark (still playing that game when I can), and from the elven grove to Bhaal's throne (w/ BP-Ascension). All BP AI/encounter components installed. Anything I saw blatantly wrong, I fixed. That isn't to say it's perfect, but it has been at least checked.

Compatability Issue (Note to All): I noticed that the mods aTweaks and Rogue Rebalancing are still using an old version of Detectable Spells. BP uses the most recent release (v3.1). This old version includes a (broken) LEVEL DRAIN check, removed in v3.1 (but not accounted for in v3.1 clean-up code). That in turn breaks the (otherwise-working) BP/Series fix for STATE_DISEASED checks (the vanilla check is broken in ToB and BG2EE both). In BP Series scripts will keep shouting "Diseased" when level drained, and even the Cure Disease spell can't shut them up because the Level Drain stat was never set up properly in the first place.

I fixed it locally by deleting that level drain code from the DS installers for both mods, but fair warning sent out. Hopefully we can convince Avenger to make this update. The vanilla game check for LEVELDRAIN (stat.ids #200) works perfectly in both games--this "fix" was never even needed.

#47 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

@horred the plague thanks for the answers :) 

Yo, know, I'm not that lousy player to be dreaded by AI enhancements, I hope them to be a challenge not a headache to me, so probably no difficulty slider changes would be needed at all.

Generally back in the old days, when I actually did try Tactics, I found it insanely difficult to me, so probably I won't install it. I just remember this Kuroisan encounter to be cool - but I could live without it. Ah, and the infamous Improved Illyich...Lord, how loud did I scream because of this one...total massacre.

Anyway, I'll probably stick entirely to SCS or BP for this run, I don't want to mix my experiences with different behaviors from two AI enhancement mods. Besides, this way I could found out which mod suits my play style more and stick with it in any further runs. 

I won't start my EE run that quickly, because I'm still waiting for BG1 NPC Project or Item and Spell Revisions, but I will following this tread to see, if your BG2EE playthrough with BP-Ascension runs smoothly to the very end. I just like my games to be as much bugless as possible, hence my hesitation and all the answers. 

And yeah, all info of compatibility issue with the mods I intend to install scares the hell out of me :unsure: And I do like to go with aTweaks and Rogue Rebalancing.

#48 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Version 181_4611 posted. This contains a hot fix for the "BP Series requirement." As suspected, just lazy copy-paste code was the culprit. The author of BP Series still recommends it for the full BP experience of "spy-vs-spy".  ;)

#49 ilot

ilot
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Here is the italian files.tra updated to version  181_4611.

Horred the Plague, if you want to added them in the next version I thank you!!!

Get them (update on 03 october 2014)

Attached Files

Edited by ilot, 03 October 2014 - 05:07 AM.

Italian mods tanslator!!!!

#50 -Martin Šnajdr-

-Martin Šnajdr-

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

maybe this is the stupidest question, but when I try to extract the archive, I just get the message: "Can not open file as archive". I've tried dozen of extractors and nothing seems to work. What program should I use? I've even tried previous version of BP and the problem is stil there.

Thanks,

Martin

#51 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

What program should I use?

The file is a .7z, so you got to use a relatively late version of programs. WinRAR v4 can't open the file, but the v5 can ... well, I use the v5.11 beta, it was free, and it opens up the file just fine. You can check the WinRAR's version number from the Help -> About WinRAR option in the menu.

Also your virus protection program can interfere, but I don't think that's an issue here.

Edited by The Imp, 02 November 2014 - 09:13 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#52 -Martin Šnajdr-

-Martin Šnajdr-

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

Alright, winrar didn't help, but changing the browser did the trick. Somehow Maxthon has corrupted (multiple times) the file :-). I wouldn't believe that, if I hadn't experienced that. Anyway, thanks for the help!

#53 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

7-Zip is the native application for handling .7z files (and it's free and nag-free; no need for WinRAR).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#54 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hmm...so is this why I have a mod labelled broken in the download pages? I just downloaded a supposedly-broken one last night, and unpackaged it fine. Even hotwired it into an IWDEE install. It's only 4.09MB, so whomever said it stopped at 4MB--well, it's supposed to.

#55 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Ilot! I still don't know when that next version will be, because I'm still 6 shades of busy at work. I haven't retired again, or anything of that sort. When I can talk about my work it should all make more sense.

P.S. Next version "might" (don't quote me) contain a series of scripts for IWDEE. I already have them installed on IWDEE, but there's a lot of new/missing content to check over. So....might have a few new strings to account for in it *ducks quickly*. I'd like to, as IWD(EE) is just the sort of gamer this type of AI caters best to, and to be able to use the same IE scripting sublanguage at last is very tempting.

#56 ilot

ilot
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Ilot! I still don't know when that next version will be, because I'm still 6 shades of busy at work. I haven't retired again, or anything of that sort. When I can talk about my work it should all make more sense.

P.S. Next version "might" (don't quote me) contain a series of scripts for IWDEE. I already have them installed on IWDEE, but there's a lot of new/missing content to check over. So....might have a few new strings to account for in it *ducks quickly*. I'd like to, as IWD(EE) is just the sort of gamer this type of AI caters best to, and to be able to use the same IE scripting sublanguage at last is very tempting.

Thank you for your answer Horred, and no problem if there are news strings, when you'll ask me I'll translate them!!! :)

Edited by ilot, 07 November 2014 - 06:37 AM.

Italian mods tanslator!!!!

#57 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

Hmm...so is this why I have a mod labelled broken in the download pages? I just downloaded a supposedly-broken one last night, and unpackaged it fine. Even hotwired it into an IWDEE install. It's only 4.09MB, so whomever said it stopped at 4MB--well, it's supposed to.
Don't worry about it. If ever someone has trouble downloading a file there (most probably because of their own connection), they might hit the "broken" button, then your file will be flagged "Broken" for everyone. Simple as that.

Edited by Anomaly, 10 November 2014 - 04:24 AM.

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.