Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#321 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

@ Quiet

Just so you know, Spellpack component "Ghost Armor" causes SCS install ("initialize" component) to fail (something about  "illegal byte read" or some technical crap I know nothing about :P . You get the same thing (failure) on a clean SpellPack+SCS install). It can be easilly avoided by not installing that particular component.

Also, Daulmakan's Item Pack should go earlier in install (prior to Spellpack). SCS takes any rule tweaks into account and should therefore be installed after BG2 Tweaks. 

#322 The Saint

The Saint
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

Hi

Very lovely program, but I seem to need some help.

I'm attempting a Tactics edition, running the BG2EE version of the 20140215 install file, but when I get to Vampire Tales it tells me

"You do not appear to have TOB installed.
Vampire Tales (Requires Throne of Bhaal) (Vampire Tales) was skipped."

TOB should very much be a part of BG2EE, right?

#323 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hi

Very lovely program, but I seem to need some help.

I'm attempting a Tactics edition, running the BG2EE version of the 20140215 install file, but when I get to Vampire Tales it tells me

"You do not appear to have TOB installed.
Vampire Tales (Requires Throne of Bhaal) (Vampire Tales) was skipped."

TOB should very much be a part of BG2EE, right?

Well it's likely that the BWS doesn't download the correct archive as the Raven's updated version should take care of this.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#324 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

Just so you know, Spellpack component "Ghost Armor" causes SCS install ("initialize" component) to fail (something about  "illegal byte read" or some technical crap I know nothing about :P . You get the same thing (failure) on a clean SpellPack+SCS install). It can be easilly avoided by not installing that particular component.

Thanks. But, are you sure about this? Because I have just installed the minimal version + Spellpaсk + SCS and any problems in the installation was not.

Also, Daulmakan's Item Pack should go earlier in install (prior to Spellpack). SCS takes any rule tweaks into account and should therefore be installed after BG2 Tweaks.

Better inform about this to Leonardo in the BWP topic.  ;) 
I'm hardly going to change the order of installation, until this happens in the official BWP sources.

#325 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Better inform about this to Leonardo in the BWP topic.  ;)

I said this elsewhere... the SCS only takes the tweaks into account if they benefit the monsters... so setting the Thac0.2da's all values to 20's won't make them loose a thing... but the PCs will loose big time. The tweak pack was made to not be beneficial to the monsters so making this order switch will possibly make the game harder than intended.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#326 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

@Quiet

Fixpack+Spellpack's Ghost Armor+SCSv28 - install failure for me. Perhaps it's a local error. 

@Jarno

I tend to believe that people want "consistency" in their games, i.e. same rules for monsters/PCs. They can only use "Unnerfed THAC0 tables", "Add Save penalties for high-level casters", "Alter spell progression tables".

"Alter weapon proficiency system" will make SCS fighters loose proficiencies in the weapons they're proficient in (affects wakizashi, ninja-to and morningstar weapons), so should definitely be installed before SCS.

#327 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

@Quiet
Fixpack+Spellpack's Ghost Armor+SCSv28 - install failure for me. Perhaps it's a local error.
Did you use the BiG World Fixpack, or just the G3 Fixpack ? :devil:

@Jarno
I tend to believe that people want "consistency" in their games, i.e. same rules for monsters/PCs. They can only use "Unnerfed THAC0 tables", "Add Save penalties for high-level casters", "Alter spell progression tables".
"Alter weapon proficiency system" will make SCS fighters loose proficiencies in the weapons they're proficient in (affects wakizashi, ninja-to and morningstar weapons), so should definitely be installed before SCS.
Or not, cause the SCS can pick the proficiency picks after the style of the equipped weapons... the one it has. The rule system is simple for the monsters...- they don't have to travel and kill others to be at the level they are at... they are created as such. The level 1 goblins have a natural Thac0 of 15... not 20, the SCS does nothing to it. The monsters have natural bonus damages tied to the weapons they have that do not drop. Etc etc etc.
AKA -they are not tied to the used rule system.

Edited by The Imp, 17 February 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#328 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

@Quiet
Did you use the BiG World Fixpack, or just the G3 Fixpack ? :devil:

@Jarno
Or not, cause the SCS can pick the proficiency picks after the style of the equipped weapons... the one it has. The rule system is simple for the monsters...- they don't have to travel and kill others to be at the level they are at... they are created as such. The level 1 goblins have a natural Thac0 of 15... not 20, the SCS does nothing to it. The monsters have natural bonus damages tied to the weapons they have that do not drop. Etc etc etc.
AKA -they are not tied to the used rule system.

I used both fixes for testing Spellpack's Ghost Armor. If people can install both mods, great, but I can't.

SCS gives fighters pips according to their level, based upon the weapon they wield.  Changing this after SCS has finished installing makes them loose proficiences in aforementioned weapons, since a level 12 fighter wielding a Morningstar will have GM in Flails/Morningstars after SCS is finished patching him, while Tweaks will make his Morningstar use "Mace" proficiency. 

Given that the goal of SCS is to make game harder to a degree, I fail to see how installing this component may benefit the end-user. If one wants an easy game, it's far easier simply not to install SCS then to (perhaps unwillingly and unknowingly) mess stuff up.

This does not affect any monsters, and probably 98% fighter types in game, however -only wakizashi/ninja-to/morningstar using fighters.

#329 drakonnus

drakonnus
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

links using the domain http://www.camagna.net no longer function, meaning that the multi-install tool and anishai cannot be downloaded.

#330 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

Yes, I know about this, and well... if it does not violate anyone's rights, I can put both of them and even provide links to BWS. )

#331 drakonnus

drakonnus
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

thank you very much for it, nobody should mind, as the links have been dead since october 2013 and nobody on gibberlings reuploaded either files, besides those links were from a emergency backup.

Edit: how broken are the expert mods?

Edited by drakonnus, 18 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#332 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Edit: how broken are the expert mods?

Well, if you intent to play the game from BG1 to the Throne with the intention to finish most of the quests... you'll need to use basic moding tools and have wealth of knowledge of what each mod does(of course depending on which mod we are talking about here). Or not, if you just roll with the punches and give a cheese where things end up... by using the CLUAConsole.

#333 -Sisyphus-

-Sisyphus-

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Got this error while doing a slightly modified tactics install:

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 1012322 of 8498-byte file SPWI317.SPL
ERROR: [SPWI317.SPL] -> [override/SPWI317.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPWI317.SPL: read out of bounds"))
ERROR: Failure("SPWI317.SPL: read out of bounds")
IWD Arcane Spell Pack (IWDification) was not installed due to errors.

Google didnt turn up with anything and I dont know what to make of it.

#334 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Ghost Armor again? I need more information, because I can not reproduce this error. Can you save and share your selection list?

#335 -Sisyphus-

-Sisyphus-

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Heres the selection: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing
It's basically just the tactics install minus the big mods and some npcs.

I restarted the install from a clean slate to check if maybe something didn't extract properly, got the error again, but continued further with the install this time got these errors as well:

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 1012322 of 8498-byte file SPWI317.SPL
ERROR: [SPWI317.SPL] -> [override/SPWI317.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPWI317.SPL: read out of bounds"))
IWD Divine Spell Pack (IWDification) was not installed due to errors.

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 7154 of 7154-byte file SPWI317.SPL
ERROR: [SPWI317.SPL] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPWI317.SPL: read out of bounds"))
ERROR: [stratagems/ds/cddetect.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPWI317.SPL: read out of bounds"))
Initialise mod (all other components require this) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was not installed due to errors.

#336 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

@Sisyphus

Guess now that makes 2 of us with the same issue. the easiest way to "fix" it is by simply not installing Spellpack's Ghost Armor. Also, Spellpack seems to be "more than a little" unfriendly towards creatures which possess some kind of innate immunity to specific effect, like Charm, Fear, Posion/Disease -may be other effects as well. Any such immunity will display Spell Immunity animation on creature which has such an immunity either via .spl file or is equiped with some .itm  (Cavailer will appear as if he has SI active, for the whole game, for example. Same can happen if you equip Ring of Gaxx.).

In short, if you want to avoid seeing people/ghouls etc. with ugly animations I'd avoid SpellPack for now, even tough the mod is very cool. 

Previously I tought that "Charm Person or mammal" spell adds these animations, but there are (apperantly) a few more which cause such behaviour.

#337 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Previously I tought that "Charm Person or mammal" spell adds these animations, but there are (apperantly) a few more which cause such behaviour.

It's likely to be all the spells that use the same opcode... as that could be the easiest way to program it.

A way to fix this would be to make a similar component to that of the Tweakpacks item icon remover. But that needs a non-Imp to program it.

#338 Jarin Hawkeye

Jarin Hawkeye

Wanderer

• 37 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

A minor nitpicking: The "Total Happines" install does not include Generalized Biffing, which, in my opinion, is rather required for any install (the smoothness!). Have I missed something important?

#339 -Sisyphus-

-Sisyphus-

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Ok i'll give it a try without ghost armor,

Also minor nitpick IA Content - IWD Belhifet and Marilith, only thing that seems to use it are some of the big mods (DS, RoT, TDD, TS-BP), should there be a dependency so that if none of those mods are selected this one isnt selected either? just one less thing to dl and extract. Or am I missing something?

#340 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Ok i'll give it a try without ghost armor,

Also minor nitpick IA Content - IWD Belhifet and Marilith, only thing that seems to use it are some of the big mods (DS, RoT, TDD, TS-BP), should there be a dependency so that if none of those mods are selected this one isnt selected either? just one less thing to dl and extract. Or am I missing something?

All the IA stuff is like that... but there's nothing that tells that those resources can't be used by other mods or the player, they are rarity as is.

And you might have missed the fact that you can remove all the undesirable mods you wish... by customizing the setup with the "..." button right after selecting the compilation.