Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#901 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Alien asked the same some time ago. I'd just say that that's stupid packed.
It just breaks the rules set up by weidu how things should be.

I've been playing a bit with the thought of caching the output of the last extraction and look for tp2-files.
That could help to find the correct placement.
I tried to come up with a way to guess the correct folder, extracted all mods as they are per default, but it's not working 100% as I'd like it to.
Some mods have backup-folders that don't exist, so that does not work all the time.
I've tried to look for AUTO_TRA and line that contain ~somekindof.tra~ and mixed it up with the backup search, so I could guess that right.
Guessing by WeiDU-commands did work partly but there are variables and commands that work and subfolders or some stuff coming from other folders, so that's bad to use.
After spending a few hours of playing with the tp2s and WeiDU, I was a bit fed up and left it as it was.

You could also look if the tp2 is missing, check if download was hosted by gitup, replace the filename and then just repeat the search, but I don't like the idea.

Edit:
So from a logical standpoint, the best thing to do would be:
cache the output of 7zip
look for the tp2-file
If it's there
- parse it. I ended up with the path from ~some.tra~, if that's not there auto_tra and if that's not there backup-folders.
- look if that path is there
- report the mod a faulty if it's missing
If tp is not found
- go through the cached output
- if a tp2-file is there, parse it
- look if the path matches the location and move the folder from the sub-folder it is in. If it does not match, think about renaming.

The best way would be to have modders create a bla-master - folder on github and put the mods bla-folder into that - if that's how github would work.

Edit2:
If the behaviour of github would be append the branch to the real/original name and to downloads name / url, you could get the download-url, check if it's from github, extract the branch, look if the folder named %modname%-%branch% exists and then rename the folder. Then check if the tp2 exists now, else revert the name back. That could be done without much rewriting. Can you verify that?

Edited by dabus, 03 January 2015 - 09:54 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#902 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Thank you, Dabus, for your answer!

I just did another test install and all files were extracted correctly (BWS moved sub-dir to main BG2 dir).

I don't know why it failed last time and I had to do it manually, so this could be one-time error.

Sorry for any trouble.

#903 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:51 AM

And here is the first update this year.
The problem with the installation of Aran Whitehand has remained unsolved, helps only manual installation.
Also, it seems, that New travel system between Baldur's Gate City areas is not installed with the new WeiDU.
Kit Revisions are still unavailable to install, because I do not know in what order to install it and what it may have conflicts/dependence with other mods. If someone has a recommendation on this matter, I will be glad to hear them.

Added:
  • BG1 NPC Project for BG:EE, Hidden Adventures beta 1, New travel system between Baldur's Gate City areas v1.0d, Wedges BGT Adventure Pack alpha 0.2.
Changed:
  • Disabled autoreplacement old WeiDU.
  • Returned old 7zip.
Fixed:
  • Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters installation problem.
  • Breach selection limit (thanks to dabus).
  • Finch NPC mod name.
  • Patch correctif des textes pour Baldur's Gate 1 installation problem.
  • The Undying component numbers.
Removed:
  • TeamBG Armor Pack for BG2 from BWP install.
Updated:
  • Selection fits IP v14.3.1, TP v14.3.
  • Almateria's Restoration Project v8.1, BG1 NPC Project v21 beta 20141231, BG1 Unfinished Business v14.0 beta 150102, Derat's Unused Kits Pack v11, Divine Remix v8 beta, EE Keeper v1.0.2.6, Garrick - Tales of a Troubadour v1.22, I Shall Never Forget v4.2, Imoen Romance v2.4, Indira NPC v12 beta2, Infinity Sounds v1.1, Jastey's Solaufein beta 150102, Keeping Yoshimo v0.94 beta, Khalid mod for BG2 v2.00, Recolored toolbar buttons v4.0, YLItems Pack Final.

#904 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

Kit Revisions are still unavailable to install, because I do not know in what order to install it and what it may have conflicts/dependence with other mods. If someone has a recommendation on this matter, I will be glad to hear them.

Kit revisions base component can be installed anywhere (after Fixpack and such stuff) but before Refinements/Rogue Rebalancing /Questpack and such DS-installing mods. Somewhere where Item/Spell Revisions are, can safely be installed either before or after them.Conflicts with Six's Kitpack base component, and aTweaks components of "Paladins immune to disease" (conceptual incompatibility).

Revised Grandmastery conflicts with any mod which messes with GM.

Revised saving throws - conflits with BG2Tweaks "unnerfed saving throws" and aTweaks component of "dwarves get extra saves for high constitution". And any other save throw altering mod, I don't know of any.

Revised XP table conflits with any other XP altering tables.

It has no dependacies on other mods per se.  

The mod is in beta, and should probably be marked as such.

#905 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Cheers.

#906 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I would recommend against putting the beta version of KR in BWS.

While it's still in development, there will be a larger-than-normal number of bugs and the content may change quite a bit.  Full compatibility and documentation probably won't be addressed until the mod is completed and officially released.

#907 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

does anyone know what happens if one installs Thalantyr item upgrade together with item revisions?

It doesn't look like TIU takes into account any of IR's changes, but installing them together shouldn't break your game or anything.

TIU without IR: Item_A + Item_B = Combined_Item

TIU with IR: IR_Item_A + IR_Item_B = Combined_Item

So, whether Combined_Item makes sense (or is an improvement) depends on what IR does to Item_A and Item_B.  You'd have to check the recipes in the TIU readme against IR's Item Index to find this out.

#908 Aroc2

Aroc2
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

Many thanks!!!

Edited by Aroc2, 05 January 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#909 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

So, whether Combined_Item makes sense (or is an improvement) depends on what IR does to Item_A and Item_B.  

Improved Shield Amulet - it's probably worse than IR version

Magnificent Helm - doesn't make sense, but it's  better

Mage Robe 'Practical Protection' - worse than IR robes, and doesn't any make sense.

Other upgrades are usually more powerful than IR versions of items used up.

As for KR, it has to go after IR due to Wizard Slayer kit restrictions lifting (if you decide to include KR - I'd vote yes since there are mods in BWS which are in far worse state than KR could ever be - and none of the bugs is a gamebreaker).

#910 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

(if you decide to include KR - I'd vote yes since there are mods in BWS which are in far worse state than KR could ever be - and none of the bugs is a gamebreaker)

I understand there are lots of cool features in KR that people might want to use and many of them are in good working order, but as soon as you start offering it on a wider basis like this, you start getting questions like "how does KR interact with obscure mod X?", "what does this component do?", and "should I use the version of KR linked in BWS or the new one that just came out?".  Answering these can eat up a developer's time.  If you only have to support players who understand the nature of a beta and are already following the mod on the forum, you don't have to worry about that nearly as much.

That being said, I am not KR's author, and if Demi wants to expose the mod to a larger audience, that's his prerogative.

#911 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

if Demi wants to expose the mod to a larger audience

It's public from day one, over a year and a half.

#912 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

You can make mods completely optional - only install if you enter the selection screen and click/enable them.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#913 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

I'm aware of both points.  I just wanted to post my thoughts on the matter, that it may complicate the release of the mod rather than aid it.

#914 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:38 AM

In its current installation order, Jarls BGT Tweak Pack, all components that change weapon profiencies (e.g. component 12) are incompatible with BG2 Tweak Pack, components 2161 and 2162 which change weapon profiencies to the BG1 system.

Solution might be to switch installation order of those components.

In general, I think BG2 Tweak Pack components 2161 and 2162 should go after any mod components that change distribution of profiency stars or/and add new weapons.

#915 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

does anyone know what happens if one installs Thalantyr item upgrade together with item revisions?

It doesn't look like TIU takes into account any of IR's changes, but installing them together shouldn't break your game or anything.

TIU without IR: Item_A + Item_B = Combined_Item

TIU with IR: IR_Item_A + IR_Item_B = Combined_Item

So, whether Combined_Item makes sense (or is an improvement) depends on what IR does to Item_A and Item_B.  You'd have to check the recipes in the TIU readme against IR's Item Index to find this out.

So, whether Combined_Item makes sense (or is an improvement) depends on what IR does to Item_A and Item_B.  

Improved Shield Amulet - it's probably worse than IR version

Magnificent Helm - doesn't make sense, but it's  better

Mage Robe 'Practical Protection' - worse than IR robes, and doesn't any make sense.

Other upgrades are usually more powerful than IR versions of items used up.

As for KR, it has to go after IR due to Wizard Slayer kit restrictions lifting (if you decide to include KR - I'd vote yes since there are mods in BWS which are in far worse state than KR could ever be - and none of the bugs is a gamebreaker).

Thank you both for the explanation

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#916 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

Suggestion to remove BP (by me) or to move it to 'expert' in BWS install (By kreso)

http://www.shsforums...stile/?p=574652

To be honest, when a mod behaves this badly, I don't know why it should even be listed. But your choice.

Edited by Sergio, 10 January 2015 - 04:41 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#917 Vlan

Vlan
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

Happy new year and a big thanks for the continuity of updating BWS!

#918 Vandervecken

Vandervecken
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

Couple of notes from my latest attempt with 20150104:

The files from trow.cc require you to be logged in to download.  This includes:
Umbra of TROW - Arena: The Mod itself (UoT_v1.0.rar)
Tomoyo and the Underground City: The Mod itself (DNTv0.9.rar)
Nameless Melody Inn: The Mod itself (NMT-V2.1.zip)
YLItems Pack: The Mod itself (YLItems_BG2_Final.zip)

They should probably be marked as "requires manual interaction"

Edited by Vandervecken, 14 January 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#919 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

kreso, Mike1072

Thank you both for your recommendations.
Now I am more inclined to a variant that offered dabus: include in BWS possibility of KR installation, but make it unselected for all available selections.

In its current installation order, Jarls BGT Tweak Pack, all components that change weapon profiencies (e.g. component 12) are incompatible with BG2 Tweak Pack, components 2161 and 2162 which change weapon profiencies to the BG1 system.

Solution might be to switch installation order of those components.

In general, I think BG2 Tweak Pack components 2161 and 2162 should go after any mod components that change distribution of profiency stars or/and add new weapons.

Hmm, I see what I can do...

Suggestion to remove BP (by me) or to move it to 'expert' in BWS install (By kreso)

http://www.shsforums...stile/?p=574652

To be honest, when a mod behaves this badly, I don't know why it should even be listed. But your choice.

Ok, I will move part of components to expert selection, but will not delete mod.

Couple of notes from my latest attempt with 20150104:

The files from trow.cc require you to be logged in to download.  This includes:
Umbra of TROW - Arena: The Mod itself (UoT_v1.0.rar)
Tomoyo and the Underground City: The Mod itself (DNTv0.9.rar)
Nameless Melody Inn: The Mod itself (NMT-V2.1.zip)
YLItems Pack: The Mod itself (YLItems_BG2_Final.zip)
They should probably be marked as "requires manual interaction"

Hmm... thanks, maybe I'll do that.

#920 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

Proposal to add Sarevok related tweaks

http://www.shsforums...ks/#entry574915

I would add it under 'tactical' challenges