kreso's reccomended BWS mods

reccomended bws

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 deaderinred

deaderinred
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

i have that installed! damnit, i think it might also be the mod that overwrote "remove summoning cap" ah well, i'll make do... if it gets too annoying i'll just remove the spells from the yuan-ti mage cre files.

i would post my log but i somehow fucked up with my current install and deleted it... i usually keep a backup and thought i had done with this install but all i have is old logs from older installs. stupid i know but this seems to be the only problem i'm having. well that and the polytweak/kit revisions constantly resetting fighter profs but i sorted that out.

Edited by deaderinred, 16 July 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#42 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Fixpack itself has much more bugs than proclaimed "beta" fixes. I'll probably write on which parts should a player "disable" in  the .tp2 to make his game more true to vanilla (i.e. better).

That'd be very cool. I'm currently in the process of editing the TPA. I disagree with most of the Core spell changes.

Here's something funny. Don't take it seriously. Some of the spells carry over bugs from BG1; them BioWares never even bothered to check them. I think they must've had different people assigned to writing descriptions and building SPLs; the description guys read AD&D books and transcribed stuff word by word, then cut it so that it fit into GUI. And sometimes these people would exchange roles, you know, just for kicks. So, the SPL devs would leave sticky notes with BG time units. But the description nerds just couldn't get it: "1 means 1 turn or... speed unit 1 which is 0.6 sec...? What the heck? Hey, where's that sticky note? Who threw it away?".

There's a lot of inconsistencies here simply because somebody couldn't get the damn time units right. Some devs mixed round/turn units with casting speed, which are completely dfferent... And, of course, the description guys got hand-written nerdy notes from the SPL guys, like all over the place, and couldn't get the descriptions updated. "4PM, why stay at work trying to understand some scribble-doodle by a SPL nerd when I can go home and leave this description just as it is in the PnP book". Or, you know, write "1" for casting speed and get everyone confused as to whether it's 1 round or 1 speed unit. That's Iron Skins. I don't think it's a full round as that's crazy for this spell.

Whatever, I don't want to go on, but spells were always a mess. And will be. Spell Revisions sounds cool, but I don't like the overpowering changes and 3rd Ed. rules implemented into an easy "novel-game." So, kreso, if you could post your thoughts about some of the unnecessary Fixpack changes, you'd probably save a little of my time.

** EDIT ** Ah, but I do wanna go on. Too much stone to sleep. So, you gotta remember that BioWare is a Corporation, and, as such, it is subject to several corporate rules. One of these "rules" says that if you wanna get back to the fun part of life sooner, always exploit new/lesser employees to get them do your job.

All right, so now we're back in 1999. I'm at the BioWare customer service waiting for a secretary. She never appears. I'm about to discover why... I catch part of a conversation coming from the office hallway.

BioWare Emp. #1 (Lvl 10), aka "The Smooth Exploita": [Damn, this SPL structure is a pain. I gotta get someone... anyone...] Hey! You there! New guy!

BioWare Emp. #2 (Lvl 1), aka "I-look-like-the-sad-dudinski-in-the-bigg's-avatar": Mm-e? *fixes nerd glasses -4 to-read-code-variables mispositioned on his nose*

BWE #1: Yea, you! How ya doin'? Fine? Good. Listen, uh, ever built a spell file?

BWE #2: Whaz? Nah, I'm new here. Just been assigned to proofreading item descriptions and...

BWE #1: Yea, yea. That's wuss stuff. Now spells, that's what all the cool guys do 'round here *McConaughey style*

BWE #2: Hmm, dunno, but I DMed a lot back in High School, I -- I was very specific about it in my resume. Have you read it?

BWE #1: Yea, sure, kiddo. Listen, it's real easy and fun [bluff: roll successful]. Just check this one spell, SPWI101, and build everything else accordingly. All the dev and beta tester notes are nice and neat to read [they're hand-written scrawls with tits doodles] and everything is commented and categorized [but that's also a lie]. OK? Cool. I'll be at Sarah's [the hot secretary] cubicle. Don't disturb coz I got very important boobsine..., uh, I mean *business* to attend. If you need anything, call my internal at 069. Chop chop now.

BWE #2: B-but...!

BWE #1: *disappears in a puff of magicool dust*

~5 mins later. BWE #2 calls 069. He's no idea how to interpret BG time units. He's no clue about flags. "What's "hostile" do?"; the dudinski's utterly bemused! Anyway, the phone keeps on ringing. No one ever answers. The secretary, too, is nowhere to be found. And so the day at the BioWare HQ concludes, and SPLs are now a sticky mess of dudinski's tears.

Edited by Tash, 18 July 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#43 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

** EDIT ** Ah, but I do wanna go on. Too much stone to sleep. So, you gotta remember that BioWare is a Corporation, and, as such, it is subject to several corporate rules. One of these "rules" says that if you wanna get back to the fun part of life sooner, always exploit new/lesser employees to get them do your job.

All right, so now we're back in 1999. I'm at the BioWare customer service waiting for a secretary. She never appears. I'm about to discover why... I catch part of a conversation coming from the office hallway.

BioWare Emp. #1 (Lvl 10), aka "The Smooth Exploita": ..................................................................................................................................................................................

.............. dudinski's tears.

:ROFL:  :ROFL: Outstanding. Gimme 3 or 4 day, I'll post what Fixpack changes I see as wrong.

#44 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm really interested as well, Kreso :P

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#45 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

@Tash & Sergio

I'm quite busy with testing some stuff now, I'll need more time to post "kreso's Fixpack fixes" :P . It's for a worthy cause!

#46 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

I'm quite busy with testing some stuff now, I'll need more time to post "kreso's Fixpack fixes" :P . It's for a worthy cause!

That's cool. I quickly got discouraged while editing the fixpack, decided to ditch my current BGT game and play some good ol' TotSC instead (Baldurdash 1.1 only; no GTU!). Yea, I was inspired by mynameisnotlilly. And I'm having a blast with an evil bitch daughter of Bhaal :twisted: ^_^

#47 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Anyhow, just to let you people know - Spell Revisions mod is going through a major "revision" :D . That's what I'm busy testing. One of the most notable things is revised saving throws penalties, no more are they made as such harsh values (in addition to a ton of specific spell refinements and a complete rewamp of Spell Deflection/Spell Immunity line of spells - altough this has to survive test phase). 

#48 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

One of the many benefits of working on BGEE/BGIIEE is regular access to some of the original devs. As part of its inclusion, everything from BG2FP had to go through QA, which meant documenting the issue, steps to reproduce, and individual verification. BG2FP had never gone through anything so rigorous, so it was very nice as it turned up some issues with stuff we thought was fixed but wasn't, or we found better ways to fix it. Having a small army of testers also means we found a ton of original BG2 bugs (fixed in EE) that we need to address in BG2FP.
- Fixpack "alignment" fixes. "aligment fixes" my a**. Sorry, but isn't a fix.
A part of the QA was scrutiny on the BG2FP alignment changes--I'll let you go ahead and guess how many of those were rejected, including the 'controversial' ones pushed into optional components.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#49 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Anyhow, just to let you people know - Spell Revisions mod is going through a major "revision" :D . That's what I'm busy testing. One of the most notable things is revised saving throws penalties, no more are they made as such harsh values (in addition to a ton of specific spell refinements and a complete rewamp of Spell Deflection/Spell Immunity line of spells - altough this has to survive test phase). 

One of the many benefits of working on BGEE/BGIIEE is regular access to some of the original devs. As part of its inclusion, everything from BG2FP had to go through QA, which meant documenting the issue, steps to reproduce, and individual verification. BG2FP had never gone through anything so rigorous, so it was very nice as it turned up some issues with stuff we thought was fixed but wasn't, or we found better ways to fix it. Having a small army of testers also means we found a ton of original BG2 bugs (fixed in EE) that we need to address in BG2FP.

- Fixpack "alignment" fixes. "aligment fixes" my a**. Sorry, but isn't a fix.
A part of the QA was scrutiny on the BG2FP alignment changes--I'll let you go ahead and guess how many of those were rejected, including the 'controversial' ones pushed into optional components.

any chance we could get a fixed "fixpack"? ahah

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#50 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

any chance we could get a fixed "fixpack"? ahah

Maybe you didn't read the tone of the question correctly... but maybe there isn't that much to fix !

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#51 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

From what I've seem to understand, when they made bg:ee they started testing the fixpack, and they were able to found some minor issues; am I wrong?
Although, I realize that there isn't much to fix, a new version would be welcome anyway :P

#52 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, I wasn't very clear, sorry.

We found a handful of stuff we *thought* the Fixpack addressed but didn't do it because of typos or oversights (e.g. elven sleep/charm resistance worked, but omitted protection against sleep via Power Word: Sleep), and then uncovered a billion more bugs in the original BG2 content not covered by Fixpack. So versions 11+ will be large as we address the multitude of bugs found in the EE QA process as well as the handful of bugs in Fixpack itself. The major problem is that most of the active Fixpack contributors are working on EE itself (save Wisp, who's been shackled to the WeiDU update treadmill instead), so free modding time is at a premium.

I really only wanted to chime in on the alignment fixes specifically, as the Fixpack fixes were all reviewed and accepted.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#53 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

As for those alignment fixes, I'm still going to include the evil Majordomo in my next mod, just so you know. In my head, it's firmly canon.

#54 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the explaining, Camdawg.

Kreso, I'm still looking forward to which part you would suggest to disable :P

#55 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

With the updates to Fixpack and SR coming up, is it wiser to wait a month or so before attempting a fresh megamod install?

(thanks for this topic, by the way. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and learned quite a bit from it)

Edited by spanyam, 29 August 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#56 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

With the updates to Fixpack and SR coming up, is it wiser to wait a month or so before attempting a fresh megamod install?

Wait for it, I'd say.

(thanks for this topic, by the way. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and learned quite a bit from it)

Thank you.

#57 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Kreso, I remember that you published a .ini with all the mods you suggested us to play, and that you said you were going to republish it soon. Did I dream everything ?

#58 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Did I dream everything ?

Yeah. Revisions mods being released. :P

Jokes aside, there's a few issues to take care of there. Most notably, balancing some spells out (not much) and compatibility with Detectable Spells system for SR, and mostly bugfixes/minor tweaks for IR.

#59 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

;)

Kreso, I've found your k'selection.ini. I've got a question to ask. Would you consider fair upping my experience to level 13, as soon as I spawn inside irenicus dungeon ?

Edit: I was installing via your k'selection.ini, but it seems that item revision doesn't get installed :|

Edited by Sergio, 12 October 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#60 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

;)

Kreso, I've found your k'selection.ini. I've got a question to ask. Would you consider fair upping my experience to level 13, as soon as I spawn inside irenicus dungeon ?,

Fair by what means? If it makes you happy--it's ur game. :)

Edit: I was installing via your k'selection.ini, but it seems that item revision doesn't get installed :|

This should be answered by BW guys, sorry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reccomended, bws