Photo

Sandrah Saga for EET (Bug and Support Forum)

EET Mega Mod

• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#161 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

BWS is not fetching the latest Sandrah version if there is an older version already in the BWS downloads folder, because the GitHub master-branch package name doesn't change and the server is not returning a size.

Roxanne, any chance you could start creating GitHub releases so GitHub will generate packages with unique names (commit ID)?

Really? I have not used BWS with EET yet, back when I used it in BGT it was always downloading the newest version...this seems to have changed. I was not aware of it.

So what does your proposal mean? I have no idea how to handle GitHub releases, honestly. Will there be a release for any typo I detect and correct? And does that mean that somebody who once downloaded the mod always will use the old version on any new install unless it is manually deleted in the download folder?

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#162 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply, I put the new BCS file in the overwrite folder but I'm having trouble typing the command in the console that gets her to leave me alone, it keeps printing error messages:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=840065143

What exactly am i doing wrong here?

#163 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

BWS is not fetching the latest Sandrah version if there is an older version already in the BWS downloads folder, because the GitHub master-branch package name doesn't change and the server is not returning a size.

Roxanne, any chance you could start creating GitHub releases so GitHub will generate packages with unique names (commit ID)?

Really? I have not used BWS with EET yet, back when I used it in BGT it was always downloading the newest version...this seems to have changed. I was not aware of it.

So what does your proposal mean? I have no idea how to handle GitHub releases, honestly. Will there be a release for any typo I detect and correct? And does that mean that somebody who once downloaded the mod always will use the old version on any new install unless it is manually deleted in the download folder?

The master branch link is always-latest, but BWS doesn't actually attempt to re-download unless it sees either a file name or size change, and the method used to check the size isn't always successful.  When it fails, it falls back to a local copy if the name is as expected...  but that isn't the right answer for master archives.

I've now implemented a change in how BWS handles master branch archives, so if it doesn't get a valid size from the server it will assume the local copy is outdated and download again.  No action required on your part.

For your reference, creating a GitHub release involves going to the website and using their "draft a release" process.  e.g.:  https://github.com/R...rahEET/releases

When you create a release, it implicitly creates a Git tag at the then-latest commit of whatever branch you select, and then creates a "release" (which is effectively a bundle of meta-data) that encapsulates that tag.  Example:  https://github.com/B...rouble/releases

Releases have two types - red (pre-release) and green (regular).  You can check a "this is a pre-release" box during the release process.  BWS can be configured to download only master branch, only pre-releases, only non-pre-releases, or latest of either release type.  Depending on how you prefer to manage your updates, you can use these classifications to "work ahead" of what BWS users will get automatically.  For example, if we change BWS to only get non-pre-releases, you can then make changes on the master branch and create pre-releases and none of those changes will be picked up by BWS until you create a new regular release (or edit the latest pre-release and turn it into a regular release).

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#164 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply, I put the new BCS file in the overwrite folder but I'm having trouble typing the command in the console that gets her to leave me alone, it keeps printing error messages:

In EE/EET you now enter console commands with simple C:

So here C:SetGlobal("Bloomw","GLOBAL",8 )

The Sandrah Saga

#165 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

The master branch link is always-latest, but BWS doesn't actually attempt to re-download unless it sees either a file name or size change, and the method used to check the size isn't always successful.  When it fails, it falls back to a local copy if the name is as expected...  but that isn't the right answer for master archives.

I've now implemented a change in how BWS handles master branch archives, so if it doesn't get a valid size from the server it will assume the local copy is outdated and download again.  No action required on your part.

For your reference, creating a GitHub release involves going to the website and using their "draft a release" process.  e.g.:  https://github.com/R...rahEET/releases

When you create a release, it implicitly creates a Git tag at the then-latest commit of whatever branch you select, and then creates a "release" (which is effectively a bundle of meta-data) that encapsulates that tag.  Example:  https://github.com/B...rouble/releases

Releases have two types - red (pre-release) and green (regular).  You can check a "this is a pre-release" box during the release process.  BWS can be configured to download only master branch, only pre-releases, only non-pre-releases, or latest of either release type.  Depending on how you prefer to manage your updates, you can use these classifications to "work ahead" of what BWS users will get automatically.  For example, if we change BWS to only get non-pre-releases, you can then make changes on the master branch and create pre-releases and none of those changes will be picked up by BWS until you create a new regular release (or edit the latest pre-release and turn it into a regular release).

My head is spinning - I am no software engineer...

To be practical - I push updates at this time still almost daily as I find spelling/grammar errors or other small things aside from fixing stuff that gets reported or that I find myself. I had the understanding so far, that using Github, someone who installs the mod would always have the best and latest version I have tested.

So, can I keep it that way (reference your bold text in the last post)?

The Sandrah Saga

#166 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

Yes, you can continue using the master branch for now. BWS should always get latest due to my new workaround.

The downside of using the master branch is that BWS will sometimes re-download unnecessarily.

Once your rate of changes slows down, you can switch to the releases system, which should avoid unnecessary re-downloads because it will give each package a unique file name.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#167 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Yes, you can continue using the master branch for now. BWS should always get latest due to my new workaround.

The downside of using the master branch is that BWS will sometimes re-download unnecessarily.

Once your rate of changes slows down, you can switch to the releases system, which should avoid unnecessary re-downloads because it will give each package a unique file name.

Thanks - this is what I plan to do.

The Sandrah Saga

#168 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thanks that fixed the issue for me :), this is my first EET game but I had played an old BGT game before and never used the new console :)

Edit:

I visited Clarissa's bookshop and found this bugged book/scroll:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=840120948

Edited by Faenor, 11 January 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#169 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks that fixed the issue for me :), this is my first EET game but I had played an old BGT game before and never used the new console :)

Edit:

Yes, thanks, this is already repaired in the updated version.

It is not affecting your playthrough.

The Sandrah Saga

#170 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Edit:

Yes, thanks, this is already repaired in the updated version.

It is not affecting your playthrough.

Ok thanks for your reply :)

#171 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

Hi, I have issue with travelling to waterdeep. I obtained old map for sandrah to get to waterdeep. When I try to get there, party starts walking only between 2 points. Tried to load older save to repeat process.. same result. Tried to tell her to wait.. same result. Attached both weidu logs for EET

Attached Files

#172 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hi, I have issue with travelling to waterdeep. I obtained old map for sandrah to get to waterdeep. When I try to get there, party starts walking only between 2 points. Tried to load older save to repeat process.. same result. Tried to tell her to wait.. same result. Attached both weidu logs for EET

This seems to be a random error in the cutscene (maybe due to party order or similar).

If nothing helps, move to the western part of the outside area of FAI around co-ordinates 280.1206 (where you met the duergar earlier). Once there C:SetGlobal("RoadFound","GLOBAL",4).

After the first visit, the new area will be added to your worldmap and you can revisit it any time you want.

The Sandrah Saga

#173 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:58 AM

thanks, it worked :) btw is there some walkthrough? I cant figure out the bandit quest in waterdeep :/

#174 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

thanks, it worked :) btw is there some walkthrough? I cant figure out the bandit quest in waterdeep :/

Be patient, you may not have talked yet to all people or been to all accessible areas. (Mystra's Temple (including Inner Sanctum), Temple of Splendor, various buildings in the first main town area etc, Fish Market....)

The Sandrah Saga

#175 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hi again ^^ I have no clue about bookhunters quest. How I am supposed to get one? I already finished all known quests in waterdeep, started DSoSC, finished cloakwood mines.. saved henning.. but this one seems to be unknown for me. Some tips please? :)

#176 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi again ^^ I have no clue about bookhunters quest. How I am supposed to get one? I already finished all known quests in waterdeep, started DSoSC, finished cloakwood mines.. saved henning.. but this one seems to be unknown for me. Some tips please? :)

Spoiler

all known quests in waterdeep,

The one from the Fish Market? It also involves Clarissa.

Edited by Roxanne, 14 January 2017 - 01:51 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#177 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

you mean that sea ambassador?

#178 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:10 PM