• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#101 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

Hello Leonardo Watson !

Yes, I will try that on Monday. And by all means take your time ! I post this often  to not lose the overview about what I am doing myselves. You are spending your free time helping me and I am very grateful for that !

#102 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:51 AM

Hi Leonardo:

REGEX is new to me.  I did some reading about it.  My brain (or what is left of it) needs to spend more time to fully appreciate that language.

My game failed again.  It does every thing but save the game.  That happened before.  Any suggestions?  I looked through all the files that might indicate a problem, but found nothing that made any sense to me.

Tom

#103 DivideBy0

DivideBy0
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:34 PM

My game failed again.  It does every thing but save the game.  That happened before.  Any suggestions?  I looked through all the files that might indicate a problem, but found nothing that made any sense to me.

In which folder did you install the game? Sounds like a permission issue rather than a problem caused by BWP. It may also be caused by your antivirus.

Edited by DivideBy0, 03 November 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#104 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

i meet the same problem as @ckoe

the command window the installpack was running in simply closed 

The weidu.log shows as follows:

the last line is 

~SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ #0 #15 // Store Stuff - MAJESTIC Store Fixer: 19022016

generalized biffing is not installed

Attached Files

#105 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:18 AM

Hello everyone !

In some sense it is good to see that Mike (?) has the same problem. So it is not my computer or some other external factor.

I tried now a very minimal install (BGT Tweak could be removed) with and without the fix Leonardo Watson suggested I should try. Unfortunately it still fails in either case, assuming I made the right changes to close2.bat. I attache the WeiDU.log and the close2.bat of that failure for reference. This looks like it will take some time to figure out and fix :-) Again, I can offer to do testing.

@tomkaz: What you report from your computer problems is very confusing. I assume you did some diagnostics when it first broke down. However, apparently there is still something wrong. While there might be a permission problem I wonder if the hard disk (S.M.A.R.T) and the RAM (memtest86 comes to mind) have been checked ? Especially bad RAM could lead to silent and seemingly random data corruption and other issues. Both can be checked with the right tools basically for free but require some more involved steps, eventually some type of SMART test is already integrated in the computers firmware diagnostics if it has any ?

Sorry that I cannot offer more help than this stab in the dark. If it was not so very confusing I would not bring this up at all and eventually send you on a wild goose chase.

Best Regards

Attached Files

#106 DivideBy0

DivideBy0
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:13 AM

@tomkaz: What you report from your computer problems is very confusing. I assume you did some diagnostics when it first broke down. However, apparently there is still something wrong. While there might be a permission problem I wonder if the hard disk (S.M.A.R.T) and the RAM (memtest86 comes to mind) have been checked ? Especially bad RAM could lead to silent and seemingly random data corruption and other issues. Both can be checked with the right tools basically for free but require some more involved steps, eventually some type of SMART test is already integrated in the computers firmware diagnostics if it has any ?

Sorry that I cannot offer more help than this stab in the dark. If it was not so very confusing I would not bring this up at all and eventually send you on a wild goose chase.

I'm positive that it's reasonable to exclude any hardware issue in this case: do you think that he could complete a BWP installation with a faulty hard disk or a damaged ram stick without noticing any bigger issue? This is definitely a software problem.

#107 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

@tomkaz: DivideBy0 is most probably completely right, and please only invest time into my suggestion if and only if nothing else comes to mind any more.

As  I wrote, I would not have brought it up if I did not find what tomkaz reports pretty much confusing.

I am still not sure what the problem with bg1ub was, but corruption during extraction  is a possibility ?

When we were still buying machines without ECC (20 years ago) or on our non-workstation machines and laptops without ECC I have seen some pretty weird stuff happening with faulty RAM, which happens once every few years, i.e. very rarely but it happens.  It might be a bit which only flips once in a while based on some factor, or it might be that the OS runs the binaries at some other position in memory so that the faulty region is not accessed by chance.

And both tests are non-destructive and save once you have the necessary tools.

#108 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

I install BWP18.2 with stratagems 32.7

Generalized Biffing can be installed without stratagems 32.7

with stratagems 32.7, Generalized Biffing cannot be installed 

i don't know  why

#109 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

Regarding your problems with the close2.bat I noticed both of you have installed Stratagems v32.7 or v32.7. Maybe it conflicts in any sort with the batch routine even if I cannot imagine why.
Unfortunately I cannot test it because I am still working with an old 32-bit engine that is not able to run Stratagems v32.

@ChitownWillie

Just curious - For "Made in Heaven: Encounters & Quests v3", you note:

"Only the components 6, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21 can be installed."

Any particular reason?

I noticed all components of "Made in Heaven: Encounters & Quests v3" without component 15 can be installed without errors after BP and TDD and before VCv21 in section 2.

#110 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

Regarding your problems with the close2.bat I noticed both of you have installed Stratagems v32.7 or v32.7. Maybe it conflicts in any sort with the batch routine even if I cannot imagine why.

Yes, exactly this is the point :-)

Stratagems v32.6 and v32.7 appear to break the Big World Project at the moment. That is why I did this bare bones mod install in my latest post including the weidu.log: to proof as far as possible that it is really the addition of stratagems v32.6 either itself or with one of the required minimal components (discounting BGT Tweaks) which leads to this breakage.

In previous post I gave information about an attempt with stratagems v31 with the same mods and largely the same individual.bat. With stratagems v31 everything works.

You mentioned being unable to test it before. If you have anything I can test for you let me know.

But at the moment the conclusion is that the Big World Project stopped working with the currently developed version of stratagems and will probably not work with any versions developed from it in the future if this is not fixed.

#111 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:19 AM

with stratagems 32.7, Generalized Biffing cannot be installed
i don't know  why
Does the install start the setup ? And if it does, can you upload the setup-genbiff.debug, or what-ever-it-is ?
But at the moment the conclusion is that the Big World Project stopped working with the currently developed version of stratagems and will probably not work with any versions developed from it in the future if this is not fixed.
Hah... before jumping to ALL the conclusions, we could just do some detective work... or just JUMP to ALL the conclusions. It's up to you to decide.

Edited by The Imp, 05 November 2019 - 01:38 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#112 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:31 AM

Hello Jarno Mikkola,

to answer your question to new(Mike) from my experience, it does _Not_ start generalized biffing because it fails before finishing close2.bat, "crashing" to a shell prompt. So, there is no debug log for generalized biffing I could post I believe. You might want to take a look at the screenshots I posted which show what happened in close2.bat in my install.

Please take also a moment to review the weidu.logs I posted and the posts themselves. I would like to stress again that (I admit only mostly) identical mod and component selections appear to work, i.e. generalized biffing is executed and the install finishes with an appropriate success message, without stratagems v32 or including v31 instead.

This (yes that it is the same problem is a jump to a conclusion) problem when v32.6 or v32.7 is included was reported independently by two persons.

I admit that it might be the OS, individual.bat or something else. But v32 makes a problem visible. And yes, if the Big World Project does not finish regularly I consider it broken at the moment. I believe the word "probably" in the second part of the sentence you quote makes it clear that the second part about the future is an extrapolation.

If you have any concrete suggestions to either diagnose this further or to work around I will gladly help with that.

Thank you very much !

Edited by ckoe, 05 November 2019 - 02:33 AM.

#113 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:17 AM

@Leonardo Watson

if you have any suggest, i can do it and tell you the result,thank you for your great work

at last part in the BiG World Debug is as follows:

weidu_external/lang/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...
[.\dialog.tlk] created, 301605 string entries

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Item Stuff - MAJESTIC Item Fixer

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Item Stuff - Portrait Icon Assigner

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Item Stuff - Proper Immunity Assigner

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Item Stuff - Duplicate Item Effect Remover

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Item Stuff - MAJESTIC Item Checker

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Spell Stuff - Spell Resource Fixer

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Spell Stuff - MAJESTIC Spell Fixer

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Store Stuff - MAJESTIC Store Fixer

Generalized Biffing  don't start,so there is no debug log for generalized biffing

Edited by new(Mike), 05 November 2019 - 06:41 AM.

#114 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

I looked again into your problem with the trim_IDS.bat. This file trims several .IDS files: ANIMATE.IDS, ANISND.IDS, Fireball.IDS, General.IDS, SNDSLOT.IDS, State.IDS, stats.IDS and spell.IDS. It works until it comes to the stat.IDS. Obviously some mod makes changes to this file that the trim_IDS.bat cannot handle. Please post the stats.IDS out of the override folder. Maybe I find some hint.

#115 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

@Leonardo Watson

my weidu.log  BiG World Debug and stats.IDS  is attached

thank you very much

Attached Files

#116 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Well, that stats.IDS is empty, so something probably cheesed it up badly.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#117 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:22 AM

after lolfixer is installed, the Stats.ids still is 8.25k and i attached it

i suppose perhaps trim_IDS.bat make Stats.ids empty but i donot know why

Attached Files

Edited by new(Mike), 07 November 2019 - 06:01 AM.

#118 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

Leonardo Watson will hopefully be able to see what's with that... but that file seemed correct, so restoring that after the trim_IDS.bat has ran and then running the Generalized Biffing should allow you to get to your game... but that's just my take on this situation.

#119 new(Mike)

new(Mike)
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

after test, i can make sure trim_IDS.bat make Stats.ids empty 

before Call ".\%BWIPS%\trim_IDS.bat", the Stats.ids still is 8.25k

after  Call ".\%BWIPS%\trim_IDS.bat", the Stats.ids is empty

#120 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

Hi All:

It is very simple.  I need lots of help!

Here is what I did today.  Tried to make Game #20.  It failed.

I followed WeiDU.Log from Big World Project v18.2  The only mods and components I used were those that the WeiDU.Log showed were in that game.  Well there were a few exceptions.  These were CDTWEAKS "2151 2999 3000 3031 3190", ATWEAKS "502" and The Bigg Tweak Pack "1200 9000".

Due to trouble with installing some mods, I needed to use mods that were versions other than those in WeiDU.Log from Big World Project v18.2   But I did keep to the component numbers.

I used a modified "individual.bat".  There was a limited use of REM statements.  They were only used when a mod had some components installed and other components from the same mod removed.  If mods were not wanted, they were not added to BiG World Downloads.

One thing that I wondered about was the BGConfig.exe file.  I used it first to confirm BGII - SoA was working.  Then I used it in the game with the settings from the test run.

The game problems.  The initial fight on the Iron Throne roof  with Sarevok does not play.  You start the game in Candlekeep.  Meet a guard outside the Inn and tell the guard you will take the goods rather that work for them.  After the guard leaves, I try to save the game.  I cannot save the game immediately.  After a few tries, the game ends.  All I can do is restart the game over and over again.

I will put the individual.bat and WeiDU.log and try to post them tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 07 November 2019 - 07:38 PM.