Photo

Help Needed - let's finally nail Ghoul potion bug!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

Hi

One of the Russian gamer, AGKanevchev send me fixes for Ghoul potion bug:

"When using the potion it did not work, paperdoll not replaced, the item "Ghoul Hand" was not created."

I've tested the fix and this are the results:
- on the EE engine, the replacement of the paperdoll actually works, item "Ghoul Hand" is created as necklace 
- on classic BG2 engine, the yspotn02.itm doesn't restore the original character portrait
- on both games,using yspotn02.itm after yspotn01.itm sometimes causes the main character explode. Sometimes it works correctly by restoring the main char original form.

I've attaches both version of the items and yspotn01.spl file which is used by yspotn01.itm.

Can someone help me with:
- compare two methods (item effects vs spell), why spell-way didn't work?
- what might be the reason why on classic BG2 using yspotn02 doesn't restore the original character portrait?
- what can be reason of randomness 

Helpful console commands:

EE:
C:MoveToArea("ys0282")
C:ExploreArea()
C:CreateItem("yspotn01")
C:CreateItem("yspotn02")

Classic:

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ys0282")
CLUAConsole:ExploreArea()
CLUAConsole:CreateItem("yspotn01")
CLUAConsole:CreateItem("yspotn02")

Attached Files

Edited by ALIEN, 12 May 2020 - 09:46 AM.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:40 PM

- what might be the reason why on classic BG2 using yspotn02 doesn't restore the original character portrait?

Maybe the differently naming: BGII:EE uses M.bmp for small portrait, L.bmp for large portrait (in the cre-file). BGII uses S.bmp for small portrait, and M.bmp for large portrait in the cre-file, at least for NPCs.

As for spells and items, I'm not your (wo)man.

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:27 AM

One of the Russian gamer, AGKanevchev send me fixes for Ghoul potion bug

Heya. Russian and "AG" as in "Ardanis/GeN1e"? Well, I suppose not, but that was his modder prefix anyway.

I know nothing about this alleged "ghoul potion." Okay, fine. I invented it at Yovaneth's request. And it was actually working on vanilla BG2... perhaps even BGT, but long before we anticipated EE etc. We had some glitches (I particularly remember some portrait-related stuff), but I thought we ironed them out.

But I don't have immediate access to the EE games anymore (sad but true... they don't translate from one machine to another when you swap hard drives). So I could look at the effects, but what I seem to recall (my memory's kinda hazy on what Yovaneth wanted) was this:

Upon certain circumstances (like a time limit I think), the ghoul-turned character is supposed to explode, or something similarly nasty. And I said something like, "only a mutant half-orc would think of something like that." Okay, I didn't say that, but I swear it was an intended effect (of his, not mine), however brutal it might seem. I won't swear it was bug-free, particularly when bringing EE into play (as I said, not something we anticipated at the time).

Anyway, regarding "what might be the reason why on classic BG2 using yspotn02 doesn't restore the original character portrait?" This at least should be working as intended. If someone could come up with steps for reproduction (things to do in the game or console that would reproduce the error), that could help. It's been a long time since I last looked at this (even by orcish standards).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

Anyway, regarding "what might be the reason why on classic BG2 using yspotn02 doesn't restore the original character portrait?" This at least should be working as intended. If someone could come up with steps for reproduction (things to do in the game or console that would reproduce the error), that could help. It's been a long time since I last looked at this (even by orcish standards).

It's simple, create two potions, drink potion which should change you into Ghoul. Then drink antidote. 

Current items:

The portrait wont even change to ghoul.

Fixed items:

The portrait will change to ghoul but drinking antidote won't restore it.

Edited by ALIEN, 11 May 2020 - 02:30 AM.

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

#5 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 02:59 PM

The attempt was made to fix all issues with the potions at the cost of removing portrait change. If there will be a safe and stable way to reintroduce it, it will definitely happen.