Sorcerer Changes

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:14 AM

agreed about the cheesy cheating solution...i wasn't making a suggestion with that post, just giving a hint to shatten if he wants implosion spell..

anyhu...

it sure sounds like cone of cold...now one nice thing about the cone is that the higher the level of the caster, the longer the range, even though the projectile animation is the same....

how about adding that feature???

I really like this spell...makes sense both tactically and from a role play sense... ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#42 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:03 AM

I really like this spell...makes sense both tactically and from a role play sense...

I'm with UU here. Sounds good!

#43 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:52 AM

I don't like the sound of it counting as an 8th level innate ability. Would that not mean that Spell Trap and the like can defend against it entirely? Also, being blunt damage, it will be absorbed by Stoneskin.

#44 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:57 AM

I don't like the sound of it counting as an 8th level innate ability. Would that not mean that Spell Trap and the like can defend against it entirely?

No. Spell Trap only protects you from spells centered on you, or some effects that target you. Shockwave works different, and ST won't protect you from the damage.

Also, being blunt damage, it will be absorbed by Stoneskin

And? Whats wrong with it? It is only logical that Stoneskin protects you from the explosion shockwave damage... but your character will still fall uncounscious without save. ;)

it sure sounds like cone of cold

Not exactly, it is not a cone-type attack. As you see in the description, the sorcerer simply concentrates on a target area somewhere in his LoS, and the blast of energy appears immediately. It has a "ring" area (like Slow) with a 15' radius.

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 05 May 2004 - 08:01 AM.

Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#45 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Not exactly, it is not a cone-type attack. As you see in the description, the sorcerer simply concentrates on a target area somewhere in his LoS, and the blast of energy appears immediately. It has a "ring" area (like Slow) with a 15' radius.

So it is centered on a specific target does that individual take damage?

I also hadn't considered the Stoneskin thing but it doesn't really bother me. So many ToB foes are highly resistant to Fire damage that Dragon's Breath always had it's downside so it's only fair that Shockwave should too.

As I see it Shockwave would work by itself really well against the following kinds of targets.

1. Minions like in Yaga's army.
2. Litchs and foes who rely on Protection from Magic Weapons over Stoneskin.
3. Bosses who are resistant to fire & magic.

With a casting time of 1 Shockwave would also work well combined with other spells.

1. As part of an Aura Cleansing chain where Breach or some other similar spell came first.
2. Immediately after a Chain Contingency with Breach in it.
3. Immediately after another party member uses Breach, a load of Magic Missiles or some such.

All I have to say, again, is that Shockwave looks like a solid addition.

#46 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:59 AM

I guess the Stoneskin issue comes more from Stoneskin's silly implementation than anything. You can destroy a stone golem with a blunt weapon in a handful of blows yet it takes up to ten (I think...) hits to punch through the STONE skins of the mage who made the golem, and even then you haven't yet hurt the mage. Letting Stoneskin protect from Shockwave isn't all that bad, I suppose, all things considered.

It might be a good idea to split the damage Shockwave deals into smaller parts. Instead of 6d6 damage with another 4d6 on a failed save, make it 2d6, 2d6, and 2d6 damage with another 2d6 and 2d6 on a failed save. It'll be more effective against Stoneskin that way since it will destroy 3 to 5 skins (and likely hurt the mage at least a little bit) that way as opposed to only 1 or 2.

#47 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

better to sort out bugs than to add features and add more bugs

Absolutely. This won't permit me to work on future stuff though... :rolleyes: :)

Future stuff remains "future", if humble work doesn't support it. ;)

@Guest:
Stoneskin is a spell, you can't reason in terms of "real stone".
How would you define a "layer" of stone that disappears after a blow? Why does it disappear as a whole layer, and not just in the point hit?
Please, let's just try not to "overrationalize" everything, it gets ridicule at some point ;)

Edited by Littiz, 05 May 2004 - 02:10 PM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#48 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

I guess the Stoneskin issue comes more from Stoneskin's silly implementation than anything

True. It would me much better if BG2 had an opcode like the one in IWD2 or NWN. That opcode enables specified damage absorbtion. That way Stoneskin could easily be set to protect from the first 50 points of damage for example, while a greater version of it would protect from the first 120.

How would you define a "layer" of stone that disappears after a blow? Why does it disappear as a whole layer, and not just in the point hit?

Yes, magic is magic :) .
Posted Image

#49 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:31 AM

So it is centered on a specific target does that individual take damage?

This depends on the projectile file I use/create for this ability. The current one (TG#SHOC.pro) has a 15' radius area effect, is invisible, and targets friend/foe alike, including the center of the AoE. You don't have to target an individual, you can target an area without creatures as well. The ability will affect everyone in the wave radius.

It might be a good idea to split the damage Shockwave deals into smaller parts. Instead of 6d6 damage with another 4d6 on a failed save, make it 2d6, 2d6, and 2d6 damage with another 2d6 and 2d6 on a failed save. It'll be more effective against Stoneskin

I don't want ti to be effective against Stoneskin at all, it is always good to have at least one useable defense against an ability. Actually I like the way Stoneskin blocks Shockwave. ;)
Posted Image

#50 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:36 AM

EDIT: total damage has been lowered to 8D10 (5D10 +3D10) because of balancing reasons. This ability could kill magical creatures like Liches too easily(tested). In game terms, this change is almost nothing, you almost always get a damage between 30-70 in total. And remember, this damage won't be resisted by most foes.
Also, the "spell cost" of Shockwave has been reduced to 1D2.
Posted Image

#51 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:42 AM

IMO the litch killing is not a problem. Don't forget that a Cleric of similar XP can turn them & make them go splat in one action too.

Besides how many ToB litches are there? One? Two?

#52 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:53 AM

IMO the litch killing is not a problem. Don't forget that a Cleric of similar XP can turn them & make them go splat in one action too.

Besides how many ToB litches are there? One? Two?

they are named "boss monster" and shouldnt be killed with one shot. (thats why i never turn them, would be too easy)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#53 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:31 AM

they are named "boss monster" and shouldnt be killed with one shot. (

Right, I agree. Having said all this, that Turn Undead ability would really need some MAJOR rebalancing... :unsure:
Posted Image

#54 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:18 AM

I'm also concerned that the damage might be too low now.

For comparison a 20th level PC...

Fireball (caps at 10th level) 10d6 yealds 10 min, 35 average, 60 max. Save for half.

Shockwave 8d10 yealds, 8 min, 44 average, 80 max. Save for 62.5% damage.

Skull Trap 20d6 yealds 10 min, 70 average, 120 max. Save for half.

I'll grant you that fewer creatures will have resistance vs crushing damage than do vs. fire or magic, but at 44 average damage Shockwave isn't going to be taking out even low level minons in many cases in ToB.

And on top of that most ToB foes have insane saves so they rarely fail. So in reality you are looking at 5d10 vs most of the boss level guys.

Sure the other effects are nice. But for, potentially, one or two Timestops as a cost the damage just seems low.

#55 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:30 AM

My last offer would be a 9D10 total (6D10 +3D10). ;) :)
Don't forget that it is almost impossible to resist, and compared to those you mention it knocks victims uncounscious without save for 6 seconds. And that 6 seconds with tanks like Sarevok in the party can be deadly ;) .
Posted Image

#56 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:38 AM

Also, I intend to change Channel Magic's duration from 2 to 3 rounds.
What do you say Littiz?
Posted Image

#57 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:56 AM

My last offer would be a 9D10 total (6D10 +3D10). ;) :)
Don't forget that it is almost impossible to resist, and compared to those you mention it knocks victims uncounscious without save for 6 seconds. And that 6 seconds with tanks like Sarevok in the party can be deadly ;) .

So you are making me offers I can't refuse now? :P

IMO you are correct about unconsciousness, but the blowback actually negates this quite a bit. Tanks like Sarevok have a hard time keeping up with a swiftly moving target like a blown back foe much less landing a full bit of melee blows. The ranged attacks they can land are typically much less dangerous.

Blowback can be a great thing when you need to clear an area, but it's a pain in the tail when all you really want to do is a quick smackdown.

#58 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:16 AM

IMO you are correct about unconsciousness, but the blowback actually negates this quite a bit. Tanks like Sarevok have a hard time keeping up with a swiftly moving target like a blown back foe much less landing a full bit of melee blows. The ranged attacks they can land are typically much less dangerous.

Intentional... :rolleyes: :P
Posted Image

#59 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:26 AM

Intentional... :rolleyes: :P

We are on the same page here.

:P :lol:

#60 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:35 PM

I don't really like the elemental affinity spells for a sorcerer, as you may have gathered. :D I feel they would be more appropriate for a fighter/elementalist combo. So in response to this, I've put together a little package of modified spells and sent them to Littiz. Anyways, here is the ability

Elemental Mastery

With extensive research and practice a wizard can learn to modify the type of damage their elemental spells inflict. A fireball can be modified so it deals acid damage instead, chain lightning modified so it does cold damage. This flexibility allows the wizard to always have the correct element on hand to deal with any problem. In addition, since the spell does undergo any visible change, an enemy would not realize that the element type has been changed until they suffer its effect, the wizard gains a slight element of suprise.

This could be used for either mages or sorcerers or both. Whichever you prefer. Also, if you really like the current affinity spells, then go ahead and keep them. Its your work after all. :lol:
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit