Gods!

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#101 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:47 AM

Where Ao resides ? In Pandemonium perhaps ?

#102 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:51 AM

In Realmspace.

#103 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:10 AM

Pandemonium is one of the lower planes, between Hades (the Neutral Evil plane) and the Abyss (the Chaotic Evil plane). Thus it hosts powers who are Neutral Evil with strong Chaotic tendencies, or Chaotic Evil with strong Neutral tendencies.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#104 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:06 PM

Which of the gods (still alive or dead) are former mortals ? I know some of them : Cyric, Kelemvor, Bhaal, Bane, Myrkul, Mystra (the second goddess of magic, who succeeded Mystryl after Karsus' crisis), Midnight. Did I miss someone ? :huh:

Edited by Feanor, 08 August 2004 - 11:22 PM.

#105 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:47 AM

Azuth was mortal, can't think of others off the top of my head.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#106 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:49 AM

"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#107 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:49 AM

#108 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:05 AM

Which of the gods (still alive or dead) are former mortals ? I know some of them : Cyric, Kelemvor, Bhaal, Bane, Myrkul, Mystra (the second goddess of magic, who succeeded Mystryl after Karsus' crisis), Midnight. Did I miss someone ? :huh:

http://www.shsforums...opic=8736&st=60

#109 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

Which of the gods (still alive or dead) are former mortals ? I know some of them : Cyric, Kelemvor, Bhaal, Bane, Myrkul, Mystra (the second goddess of magic, who succeeded Mystryl after Karsus' crisis), Midnight. Did I miss someone ?  :huh:

http://www.shsforums...opic=8736&st=60

The list does not seem to be complete (there is a "numerous others" at the end). That means the origins of some gods are not known ?

#110 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:20 AM

Where is Lolth from and what power is she (demi, lesser...etc) or is she in her own league? Also apart from D&D manuals is there any stories of the gods when they ascended from mortality (apart from the avatar series).
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#111 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:29 AM

Where is Lolth from and what power is she (demi, lesser...etc) or is she in her own league? Also apart from D&D manuals is there any stories of the gods when they ascended from mortality (apart from the avatar series).

She is the goddess of the drows and an intermediate power. Lolth was once Araushnee, the consort of Corellon Larethian, and bore him Eilistraee and Vhaeraun. She betrayed her lover, tried to invade Arvandor with a host of evil spirits and was banished to the Abyss in the form of a spider demon. She is the ruler of the drow pantheon and is allied with Loviatar and Malar. Her foes include the Seldarine (the elven pantheon). Ghaunadaur, ,Eilistraee, nondrow Underdrark deities, and Gruumsh.

Titles: Queen of Spiders, Queen of the Demonweb Pits
Symbol: Black spider with female drow head hanging from a spiderweb
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Portfolio: Spiders, evil, ,darkness, chaos, assassins, drow
Domains: Chaose, Drow, Evil, ,Darkness, Destruction, Spider, Trickery
Favored Weapon: "A Spider" (Dagger)

#112 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:47 AM

Can anyone give me the biography of the greater power Kossuth ? It's the god of elemental fire. In that site www.toril.info, the page aqbout him is not available and I cannot perform a search for him because I would receive links only for Lajos Kossuth (great revolutionary and hungarian politician from 19th century) ?

#113 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:22 PM

Sorry to ask a question without answering your question Feanor but does anyone know a webby that has the up to date status's of the gods of FR like if they are demi powers...etc (Daggerford is old and still says Helm is lesser power when I'm sure he is now a demi power and same with Torm and Xvim is dead...etc).

http://www.candlekee...es/pantheon.htm found that but I'm not sure how uptodate it is (there are quasi powers? I think the guy/gal meant demi :D)

wait feanor, http://www.candlekee...oads/powers.zip this has info you need (some anyway :))

Edited by Felstorm, 10 August 2004 - 01:32 PM.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#114 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:12 PM

Helm's still intermediate and Torm's still lesser in both the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Faiths & Pantheons.

#115 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:48 AM

Felstorm, try www.toril.info. It's more detailed than www.candlekeep.com(although not perfect).

#116 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:57 AM

Thanx for the info Nightmare and thanx for the webby Feanor, it lloks quite good :)

Dang, didn't have info. on Torm :( and has a load of broken links too :/

Edited by Felstorm, 11 August 2004 - 02:36 AM.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#117 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:31 AM

Dang, didn't have info. on Torm :( and has a load of broken links too :/

Hehe, I've said it's not perfect. That's why I had to post so much questions in the forums, web sites about AD&D are far from perfect.

#118 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:53 AM

Felstorm, you wanted some detailed info about Torm. Here it is :

Torm - God of Loyalty (or The True, the True God, the Brave, the Loyal Fury)

Lawful Good, Lesser Power of Mount Celestia

Portfolio: Duty, loyalty, obedience and paladins
Symbol: A right-hand metal gauntlet held upright, palm open and toward the viewer, or a silver or gray metal shield bearing the open-handed gauntlet device with three black arrows embedded in the shield
Domain Name: Mercuria/Truehart
Worshipper's Alignment: LG, NG, CG, LN

And the God spoke: Men call me Torm the True because I value loyalty above all else. They call me Torm the Brave because I will face any danger to prove my respect of duty. Any who would call himself my follower must do the same.

Torm's ornate armor, more ancient than any preserved in Faerūn, was hued dusky purple, mirroring the customs of the greatest warriors dedicated to his cause. Spikes carved from the bones of the first evil dragon slain in his name jutted from the cops at his elbows and knees. Points of light scintillated like a thousand tiny stars on the twilight canvas of his breastplate. Eyes like twin suns shone from Torm's helmet.

Torm is the patron of paladins and those who face danger for a greater good. He is the war arm and champion of Tyr the Lord of Justice, delivering justice to those who are evil, deceitful, and destructive, and acting to keep law, order and loyalty everywhere. The Loyal Fury is unflinching in his duty and judges his faithful accordingly. He is stern, righteous, and unyielding, yet his heart is filled first and foremost with goodness, and he can be a kind and gentle power when dealing with the young, the weak, and faithful friends of all sorts.

Torm frequently stalks the Realms in the form of his avatar, a helmless, 12-foot-tall man in ancient full plate armor stained dusky purple, who is possessed of an eternal calm, to battle legendary monsters and evil incarnate. In the liturgy of the Tormish church, it is said that Torm will perish in the final battle of the gods, saving the Realms once and for all from evil by his self-sacrifice.

Torm often appears as a floating, flying metal gauntlet of gigantic size that glows with a white aura and is surrounded from time to time with arcs of lightning. He also occasionally manifests as an animated weapon or a shield that aids Torm's faithful or cause.

Torm is served by gold and silver dragons, ki-rins, lammasus, pegasi, shedus, watchghosts, xavers, and the Ghost Guard. He occasionally manifests his favor as a blinding white diamond set into a door or stone wall, the image of a gauntlet, shield , or sword burned into fabric, or as a pure white rose growing in a castle gate or narrow mountain pass.

Torm's is one of the most ethically pure of all faiths in that it is devoted to loyalty and obedience. This is not blind obedience, and a servant working for an evil master is responsible to a higher authority in his loyalty. The Tormish believe that salvation may be found through service, that every failure diminishes the Lord of Duty, and that every success adds to his luster. They strive to maintain law and order and to obey their masters to obey their masters to their utmost power with alert judgement and anticipation. The Tormish stand ever alert against corruption and are expected to strike quickly and hard against any rot in the hearts of mortals. As the sword arm of justice, the question unjust laws by suggesting improvement or alternatives, not additions. Their fourfold duties are to faith, family, masters, and all good fellow beings of Faerūn.

The Loyal Fury is servant and champion of Tyr the God of Justice, but is also allied to Helm the God of Guardians, Ilmater the Crying God, the Red Knight, Tempus the Lord of Battles and Lathander Morninglord.

Torm despises all that is evil, and his foes are such: The Black God Bane, Bhaal the Lord of Murder and Mask the Master of Intrigue.

Miracles of Torm - List of Priest Spells for Tormites

Major Spheres: All, Astral, Combat, Divination, Guardian, Healing, Law, Protection, Summoning & Sun

Minor Spheres: Charm, Elemental, Necromantic, Travelers & Weather

Torm plays a major role in the Avatar trilogy by Richard Awlinson, especially the second work, Tantras. Torm also features in the sequel Prince of Lies by Troy Denning.

Extract from Prince of Lies by Troy Denning, page 6:

Torm's ornate armor, more ancient than any preserved in Faerūn, was hued dusky purple, mirroring the customs of the greatest warriors dedicated to his cause. Spikes carved from the bones of the first evil dragon slain in his name jutted from the cops at his elbows and knees. Points of light scintillated like a thousand tiny stars on the twilight canvas of his breastplate. Eyes like twin suns shone from Torm's helmet ...

"Men call me Torm the True because I value loyalty above all else. They call me Torm the Brave because I will face any danger to prove my respect of duty." ... "Any who would call himself my follower must do the same."

Extract from Prince of Lies by Troy Denning, page 28:

[Torm's] armor clanked as he walked, the sharp sounds echoing off the walls like distant cannonades. At Gwydion's side Torm stopped and removed his helmet. The shade had never seen such perfectly handsome young warrior. The light of righteousness flashed in his blue eyes. Unwavering courage set his square jaw.

Extract form Prince of Lies by Troy Denning, page 30:

Torm straightened his fingers and held his hands out, palms to the floor. The sickly glow from the windows revealed myriad tiny runes carved into his gauntlets: on the right hand, the word for duty in every language ever known; on the left, the same for loyalty.

It is whispered that Torm could be destroyed if all those words were lost. To prevent this disaster, some Tormish novices spent their first year of servitude sequestered in tiny cells, where they repeated one of the words for duty or loyalty, mantralike, throughout their waking hours. The most devoted of them even kept up their assigned chant in their sleep.

Extract form Prince of Lies by Troy Denning, page 31:

Torm stalked to the edge of the library. His lion's face was locked in an angry snarl. His golden mane bristled around his head like a halo.

BTW, it was taken from www.toril.info, Felstorm. The site has info, but the problem is that it is very bad organised and it takes a lot of time to find some references.

#119 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:18 AM

And here's another reference for Torm, Felstorm, from the same site (a shorter one) :

Torm was once a mortal champion of a good king. He obeyed all commands, regardless of any danger to himself. He now serves as war leader and champion of Tyr. Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater work together often and are called the Triad. Torm's other allies are Helm (despite the conflicts between their churches), the Red Knight, ,and Lathander, and he opposes Cyric and Mask. Torm was particularly combative with Bane, because it was Torm that battled Bane to the two deities' mutual destruction during the Godswar. Torm is incensed to see him return.

Power: Lesser God

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titles: The True, the True Deity, the Loyal Fury

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symbol: Right-hand gauntlet held upright with palm forward

Alignment: Lawful Good

Portfolio: Duty, loyalty, obedience, paladins

Domains: Good, Healing, Law, Protection, Strength

Favored Weapon: "Duty's Bond" (greatsword)

Now, some advices, Felstorm, while searching through www.toril.info : the site has more than one entry for the same topic. Don't be discouraged by the first failed attempt. :P Persevere and victory shall be yours ! (though not always :D ).

Edited : and don't take me wrong, Felstorm, that advice above was not a hidden request to search before asking, I always enjoy to give references B) I wanted to give you a hint when you're lurking in that site.

Edited by Feanor, 11 August 2004 - 07:22 AM.

#120 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:06 AM

Thanks very much for all the help Feanor, I will try harder now to aquire the information I need (I wonder if D&D will ever have a campaign of the final battle ;) )

Defy me and die!

Posted Image