Photo

Why is Imoen a mage?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:02 AM

I think i remember hearing from someone offical, I think it was Skip Williams but I don't want to quote him, that although dwarves, elves and half-elves live much longer, they do grow up in their early years much more rapidly. Its only when they hit puberty they slow down. I think they made that distinction because people pointed out how odd several things would be, such as someone staying as a newborn for close to 75 years as an elf, etc. It still takes a bit longer, but they said not much. Besides even in nature where species develop from youth very rapidly to keep from being a burden on their parents.

That would still however mean Imoen would also be physically older than the pc still.

Now I'm imagining a poor, unfortunate elf, having to go through a puberty that lasts 80 years or so. ;)

Maybe longer. The inital stages of puberty would go by faster because as mentioned it is at this time that the aging process would slow down much more.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#62 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

I think that BioTeam just made her to be a mage because it fit into the game since the cowled weaklings had to capture her for using magic and so on blah bla....

#63 -Dr.Shaman-

-Dr.Shaman-

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

I think that Imoen was smart enough to learn some spells Irenicus use to torture her and PC. (Irenicus must have a true "talent" to torture someone with... IDENTIFY. :) ) I also don't see any reason for PC to wonder about Imoen becoming a mage. They had some time to talk to each other in the prison, I think, and she would warn him/her about it.

#64 -Kabuki-

-Kabuki-

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:54 AM

Yupp, yupp, ripping up another old (sort of) thread.

I really liked the way the BG1NPC people handled it. They put in several interjections/banters into BG1 showing her interest for magic, this is to me the most likely scenario. She's really, really bright - and she can probably see the potential in magic, if she can learn it - and so she studies it out of captured spellbooks (starting with the first assassin you meet).

As for the age thing...

Jaheira = 20...

My impression was that Jaheira and Khalid not only had traveled extensively, they participated in the raid that freed you 20 years ago... They have according to various dialogues (esp. along the Jeahira romance tree - Dermin Courtierdale) shown that they are reasonably long time associates of the harpers. There is no way she is 20 - physically or emotionally. Her instablity is due to loosing her long time husband... as for her relationship with the PC... I like it and it makes sense at least out SoA.

'nough said.

#65 Alandrea

Alandrea

Sweet and Innocent

• 262 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:18 AM

I personally preferred Imoen as a theif. I wish they'd just given her the innate ability to cast magic missile. It would have still fit with the plot and could even have been a gift from daddy.
~*kitty*~

You must gather your pants before venturing forth

The lunatics are running this asylum.

#66 -Piotyr-

-Piotyr-

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:58 AM

Yupp, yupp, ripping up another old (sort of) thread.

I really liked the way the BG1NPC people handled it. They put in several interjections/banters into BG1 showing her interest for magic, this is to me the most likely scenario. She's really, really bright - and she can probably see the potential in magic, if she can learn it - and so she studies it out of captured spellbooks (starting with the first assassin you meet).

As for the age thing...

Jaheira = 20...

My impression was that Jaheira and Khalid not only had traveled extensively, they participated in the raid that freed you 20 years ago... They have according to various dialogues (esp. along the Jeahira romance tree - Dermin Courtierdale) shown that they are reasonably long time associates of the harpers. There is no way she is 20 - physically or emotionally. Her instablity is due to loosing her long time husband... as for her relationship with the PC... I like it and it makes sense at least out SoA.

'nough said.

Bam! That persons smart! She turned into a mage not for any real plot point but because she just had an intrest in it! Also she did it sometime during bg1 seeing as basicly they wanted you to dual class her so bad! lol. Also the age thing, I am pretty sure half elves only live longer and do not take longer to mature, also the elf thing I bet was just never taken into consieration.

#67 Koyasha

Koyasha
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:44 PM

I've noticed a lot of people seem to have a tendency to regard non-humans as 'slow to grow up', but this tends not to be the case if you look through official AD&D stories, novels, etc. There are a few obscure examples I can probably think of given a few minutes, but the most obvious example that comes to mind is from R.A. Salvatore's books. Read Homeland, and you'll note that Drizzt and other Dark Elves grow up at the same rate as humans, perhaps just a shade slower. By the time they're 25, they're in Tier Breche and all grown up. Drizzt himself is less than 100 in 1372 DR. From this and other writings about other elven types, it's obvious that the starting age of Elves as 100+ is simply because of 'typical Elven upbringing'. They learn lots and lots of stuff that is unrelated to their class; elvish history, music, dance, etc. And spend a good deal of time just....being lazy and sitting about, from one point of view, but the entire concept is different for an elf.

Even if the PC is an elf, they are still quite young. It doesn't seem like Bhaal foresaw the Time of Troubles over 100 years in the past. Plus the obvious fact that Gorion rescued them... Even as a mage, he wouldn't be that old. The mages who are are few and powerful. And that Sarevok was a child at the same time as the PC, and he's human. So many little things make it obvious that all races grow up reasonably fast, it's just their cultures that 'normally' stop them from adventuring early on. How they grow up also partly defines their state of mind...so I don't see characters thinking or acting 'young' if they're raised by humans and around humans.

#68 LordKableNikon

LordKableNikon

I'm not a psychopath,I'm a sociopath....

• 111 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:01 AM

I think imoen should of been a bard but that is just me.

#69 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:16 AM

Well, to go back on topic briefly...

I'd suggest that as she moved about the world and saw all the suffering, she decided that she could do more to help people if she knew magic. She's is Good after all. ;) She might already have known that she has the aptitude from her time in Candlekeep.

Alternately, she might have decided that it would be easier to steal stuff if she knew magic. That does freeze her Thief levels, but maybe nobody explained the dual-classing rules to her. ;)

#70 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:34 PM

Even if the PC is an elf, they are still quite young. It doesn't seem like Bhaal foresaw the Time of Troubles over 100 years in the past.

He did according to Bioware. That is the whole basis behind the story and why he created progeny.
No one knows how he saw the future, how he came to the world and kept his powers when none of the other gods could outside avatars, nor what his final itention was.
On a sidenote, it is also a mystery how Bane came back.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 Asynca

Asynca
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

My 0.02c:

Imoen learnt how to be a thief out of necessity in Candlekeep. It's naughty (and therefore fun), it cured boredom, it got her what she wanted and out of things she didn't want...

But now that need is gone.

She's bright, magic probably comes very easily to her. I CAN'T see her swatting over a book and spending a lot of time studying - as if she'd waste her time ;) Probably she picked up a scroll, thought "Hey, I can remember /that/!" and it went from there.

Alternatively, (and also in a way that strokes my charname's ego) she absolutely adores Charname. My charname is a mage, perhaps she thought she'd give it a shot as well.

As for the plot device argument - there are much simpler ways to get arrested by the cowled wizards that changing her whole career. I think the more likely argument is the Bioware thought that people would prefer her to be a Mage (and at least, in my case, they were absolutely right).

#72 -Guest_Necaradan_*-

-Guest_Necaradan_*-

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:53 PM

The way I see it an elf PC that grew up in an Elven community would physically grow to manhood in 20yrs but be treated like a child by other elves for 100+yrs. since the PC was raised by a human he was allowed to mentally mature at a human rate...(tho a dwarf PC surely needs some extra time to cultivate a handsome beard)

As for Imoen her deciding to become mage was probably brought on by all he above effects combined having been raised in Candlekeep on tales of mighty sorcerers having the dexterity and intellingence to handle the demands of magery having a chance to apply her talents in pulling her own weight keeping the party alive in the outside world...

#73 -Guest_Chris_*-

-Guest_Chris_*-

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

I would say she learned a trick or two from Dynaheir or some other spellcaster, she liked it and so she decided to study the art of magic more.

EDIT:
I can't see her learning magic because of a deep/serious reason (like 'Feeling a need to continue what Gorion started' etc.). She just thought it could be fun.

View Post

larger question.. why would someone of obvious intelligance NOT learn magery? Bending arcane energy, creating light instead of fumbling for your flint and tinder in your oversized adventurer's pack full of questing junk, rations, and anything else that tickles your fancy?

If magery was easy, almost everyone would do it. Since its not, there has to be a reason for her to choose such a path... my guess would be, during the course of the adventure in BG1.. Imoen decided to become a mage, partly due to gorion's influence ie when she mentions how Gorion got a visit from Blackstaff and how he talked to gorion as an "equal", and partly because it was powerful and would aid the PC, also because as a thief, well.. the obvious thing to do is something thats frowned upon anyway.. i don't believe in her alignment that she could justify constant theft... however as a mage, she could be an asset to the party, and also be able to protect the PC better. In addition, since you spent some time in captivity, Irenicus likely casted more magic than she had ever seen, quite possibly terrorify, but none the less... powerful, reaffirming once again that magery has unequalled power. That being the case, having great power.. and having some essence of a god inside you.. well, that might make it easier to do as well. Not to mention as you claimed, its fun! (especially since she is a known prankster.. )

#74 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:03 AM

She thought it'd be cool to cast Invisibility instead of having to resort to her crappy Hide in Shadows skill.

This being second edition, after she dualled over she realized she can't advance her thief levels any more. So she stuck with it.

#75 Lord Kain

Lord Kain
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

Bioware intended to have Imoen become a mage, plain and simple if you compare her stats to other NPC's in the 1st baldur's gate she has by far the best stats and even in BG2 her stats are awsome. And in most cases she'd have better scores in the 1st baldur's gate then the PC.

I also think Bioware planed for Imoen to be a fellow bhaalspawn. She's a character who will stand by yourside no matter what path you take.

Why did Imoen become a mage? liky so she could help her friend the PC no matter what he/she needs. As a thief the best she could do was open a locked, disable some traps and maybe pick pocket a few items. She lacked the strength have much of an effect with a backstab and a spell caster can open doors and set of traps with summoned monsters.

#76 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

I always thought of Immy getting her mage powers rather like a sorcerer. She learned that she had a gift for magic and began practicing that. I also always matched her hair to her changing to a mage somehow, probably a spell gone wrong(or maybe a spell gone very right :D )
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#77 -Zanath Kariashi-

-Zanath Kariashi-

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

First off......

On in response to an above post. Bane came back the same way Bhaal ment to, except he focused all his power into one child (Itatcu Xzim), instead of many then waited for his powers to mature enough to take back his portfolio from Cyric.

Secondly.....Imeon becomes a mage cause all the others suck. Even Edwin isn't that good, +3 total spells is nice (+2 in BG1) but having a prohibited school hurts, look at poor Dynahier for instance or Xan. Anyways. As far as role play....depends on the situation.

Evil-NonMage- Wants a mystical companion that is wholly devoted no matter what and becomes a mage at PC's request.
Evil-Mage - Wants an apprentice, as above, that won't try to kill him later to usurp his power.

Good, Neutral, or PC Mage - either learns from their companions or from PC since getting magic can only make you better.

A possible romantic attraction involved, since they weren't aware of their relation at the time. Takes of up magecraft to better aid the one she at the very least cares deeply for, since a thief can only do so much and she has the smarts for it.

On a side note, it could be a bhaal thing, since even Sarevok could Duel to mage or theif. Just a thought there.

#78 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:03 AM

Sarevok could duel to a mage and thief because he had 17 Dex and Int...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#79 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

the most logical reason to me is simply that she could. but thats game mechanics.

personally i liked the bg1 npc banter mod wherein she picks up tarneshs spell book and is studying therein throughout your campaign and even creating an artifact called imoens spellbook i think it casts master thievery which is pretty good if you dual her to mage because thusly she has a way to improve her usually (or in the endgame) rather menial thieving skills...hopefully this isnt taken away upon the transition to bg2 which i havent tried yet...with this mod that is...but luckily there is shadowkeeper.

anyway...her interest in magic is made quite clear therein, which as a mod if course not canonical but gets you a nice background as to the whys of her becoming a mage.
interest combined with the possibility of doing so usually leads to results...