1) When spawning creatures, use the file NAME, not the Death Variable. Gets me everytime that one.
2) When APPENDing 2DA files in the tp2 file, the entry in the first column is the Death Variable and NOT a dialogue file name...
3) Make sure your CRE (for your NPC) has its enemy-ally attribute set to NEUTRAL. Also, make sure that the Export Allowed flag is NOT ticked.
4) Also, make sure that the area-script you're extending includes a variable that prevents the creature from spawning over and over and over again.
5) Never forget the tildes! (~~)
6) Save and update your information on a regular basis.
7) A note or two regarding Imoen: -
The post-Spellhold Immy's death variable is Imoen2, not Imoen!!! The .cre is IMOEN211 or IMOEN213.
SOA post-Spellhold Immy has no B file. TOB Immy does.
Please see note.
8) Creatures summoned by spell/items do not read with a valid Death Variable.
9) If your area scripts don't seem to be working it might need an entry in the MastArea.2da file. (Read up on this file!)
10) You CAN'T CREATE NEW CLASSES OR MULTI/DUAL CLASSES! However, you can SIMULATE them with kits and scripting.
11) If you're modding and testing one of the DPlayer scripts, make sure the AI is turned on.
- When making NPCs, make sure you've stripped the DPlayer scripts from the base .cre or you'll likely wind up with the multiplayer dialogs on join/part.
12) Watch for typos in BCS files. This is the bane of all scrpiters! An example, lifted from Blitz:
I wasted two hours messing with global variables and other scripts only to discover that the NPC wasn't spawning because of a "CreateCreature" name-typo.
13) When writing your scripts, keep in mind that summoned creatures don't have a DV (death variable).
14) If you are making many small changes to your code, don't forget to reinstall the mod before you test. - Thanks to Shed.
15) Remember to actually compile your dialogue files. Make's testing a lot easier...!
Edited by berelinde, 13 October 2007 - 02:56 PM.