Portraits, again! Movie buffs needed!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

I got a silly notion into my head to do a new series of portraits for BG1 and BG2 from period movies. I'd dearly love to create portaits for every NPC, including non-joinables, even if it will take me forever.

So far, I've done Heath Ledger from A Knight's Tale as Ajantis and Diane Kruger from Troy as Aerie. I've changed the view on these portraits from my usual style. For the two larger portraits, I'm showing the full head and upper torso. The smaller in game pics remain tighter facial close-ups.

Anyway, this post does have a point :whistling: Even if no one else would be interested in these portraits, I'd still do them for myself... BUT.... I'm having a mental block when it comes to thinking of movies. I obviously thought of the two I've already mentioned. Kingdom of Heaven and of course the LoTR trilogy (Aragorn as Valygar?), but after that, I'm pretty much coming up blank. The whole idea behind this was to use the costuming already extant in these movies to add something new to the look of the armor/robes in most of the BG pictures already available. So, any suggestions would really be appreciated! ^_^

Attached Files

Edited by Amaurea, 28 November 2007 - 02:40 PM.

#2 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Yes, I'm replying to myself to add The Tudors from Showtime so I don't forget to use that yummy picture of Jonathan Rhys-Davis with his shirt undone and a sword for someone.

#3 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

Princess Bride, Stardust, Robin Hood, Master and Commander, Pride and Prejudice, The Gladiator... there's some historical/fantasy films that came to mind at first shot.

The two portraits you already posted are absolutely fantastic, even though Aerie looks a tad too self-confident for my taste. But the quality and style gets full points. Fantastic work, I'd love to see plenty more. :)

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#4 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

Thank you! I'm doing a lot more overpainting on these than I've ever done before, so the positive feedback is much appreciated. Maybe I'll work my nerve up to participating in the challenges eventually.

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Elizabeth, any of the Cadfael series, the Three Musketeers (the one with Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, and Oiver Platt), the Man in the Iron Mask, and Kingdom of Heaven.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#6 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

This one was a pain! There aren't any really good quality images of this character that I could find, so it took a lot of work.

Rosie Cotton as Alora ...

Attached Files

#7 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:54 AM

Thank you! I'm doing a lot more overpainting on these than I've ever done before, so the positive feedback is much appreciated. Maybe I'll work my nerve up to participating in the challenges eventually.

Good grief, you have nothing to be embarrassed or shy about. :D Come oooon iiiiin, I say!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:21 AM

These are very good. They don't look like photos or recognizable characters, and have that "Baldurized" look that is hard to achieve.

How about some of the guys from Time Bandits for Tiax, Quayle, Montaron or any other crazed runts...
Posted Image

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

I can really see Tiax in the upper right dude.

And Montaron with the flask.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#10 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:44 AM

Oh, that group is priceless! Thanks, Miloch!

#11 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

This is James Purefoy from Rome. I was thinking Anomen, but I'm not too sure. I metalicized his leather armor, just in case. While I was looking through Rome pictures, I was thinking maybe Kevin McKidd for Minsc?

Attached Files

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

(Don't think about X-files, don't think about X-files).

Anyway, sounds like fun.

#13 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

I never got into the X-Files, so no worries...

Another new one...

Joan of Arc = Branwen?

I'm really trying hard here with the hair, because I am determined to learn how to paint it and not cheat with pictures of real hair that I've smudged anymore. Since I don't have a drawing tablet, I use hair-shaped brush tips, and then fingerpaint (I don't have a mouse for this computer, I use the touchpad) highlights and lowlights with the dodge and burn brushes. It's not great, but hopefully I'll improve, and at least the in-game size is pretty forgiving.

Edited by Amaurea, 29 November 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:24 AM

Oh, yes. Definitely.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#15 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:47 AM

Is that Milla Jovovich? Nice...really nice! :)
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#16 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:41 AM

That milla was is spot on.
How about matthew mcconaughey in the reign of fire film as minsc? He was a slap head in that and well buff if I remember right.

Quality over quantity baby

BG - A Tale Retold

Facebook, Richard Haines, westmidlands, england

#17 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

I'll see what I can dig up, Big Poppa, thanks!

#18 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

Nicol Williamson as Merlin in John Boorman's Excalibur might make a good Edwin.

http://www.zbrushcen...achmentid=54869
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#19 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

I've gotta find a schmexy Eddie for players romancing him. That guy is plenty evil looking, though :devil: I also really need another Anomen. A swoon on sight type of guy. I'm sure I'll come across something (I hope, I hope, I hope....) Viccy and Jaheira need to be easy on the eyes too, and females in armor are NOT easy to find. I'm also at a loss for Immy, but I haven't looked really hard for her yet. I do know who Mazzy will be, though <_<

Here's this morning's offering....

Highlander dude as Cernd

#20 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

Remember, you can make Immy wear robes. ;) That'd make it a bit easier, I suppose.

Oh, and don't forget to make an Edwina!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!