Xan NPC and BGT Tweaks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

I've just been told that Readme of BGT Tweaks mentions that one of its components is not compatible with Xan NPC. I downloaded the mod, and indeed, the Readme has this paragraph:

18. Import all NPCs into Shadow of Amn: If any stock Baldur's Gate NPC is in the party and is not dead, then they will be imported into Shadows of Amn. Simple as that. However, some of them you will have to find... (this component is incompatible with The Darkest Day, Tortured Souls, Never Ending Journey, and Xan NPC)

I perused the code, but I didn't find the incompatibility. It, thankfully, ignores Xan NPC, but technically they should be compatible. Would you elaborate, please? I am not sure this incompatibility exists, and if I am right, I would like "and Xan NPC" to be removed from the Readme as soon as possible, please.

Edited by Kulyok, 27 January 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

Technically compatible, but semantically not. Do you really want two Xan's running about in BG2? If you are fine with that, I'll remove "and Xan NPC" from the readme.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Even if it's seven Xans and one Shar-Teel, I don't care. Remove it, please.

As an aside, I'm surprised you mentioned Xan, and not Kivan.; but both mods are working just as fine as Kelsey in this regard, and let's leave it at that. I keep marvelling at how many compatibility problems I escaped simply by adding two letters in front of one death variable.

#4 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Couldn't be better to have a selection of imported NPC during the install? The player would choose if she/he wants to import Xan, Kagain, etc ... or not. In this case there won't be compatibilies issues (TDD) or doubled NPC (Xan,Kivan,etc...). I've just commented out from the tp2 the NPC i didn't wanna to be imported, for users could be a nice choice :cheers:

just my 2 cents,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

Couldn't be better to have a selection of imported NPC during the install? The player would choose if she/he wants to import Xan, Kagain, etc ... or not. In this case there won't be compatibilies issues (TDD) or doubled NPC (Xan,Kivan,etc...). I've just commented out from the tp2 the NPC i didn't wanna to be imported, for users could be a nice choice :cheers:

just my 2 cents,

mm75

My 0.0135254 Euros, as well. :wub:

#6 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

If I was to install any NPC mod for BGT and found two same NPCs in the game at any time I would definitely be pissed and mostly I would think that the mod is incompatible.

#7 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:31 AM

If I was to install any NPC mod for BGT and found two same NPCs in the game at any time I would definitely be pissed and mostly I would think that the mod is incompatible.

Okie dokie, the choice it is, and the 'offending' sentence fragment will be removed.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#8 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

Ascension64, can berelinde and I have permission to raid your BGT Tweaks code on this (when finished) for private projects? (credit of course in tp2 to you)... with some minor adjustments, it might also be possible to use the same kind of tech to allow a Tutu NPC to convert correctly into a BG2 game. But mostly if we are working on combined-installer NPCs, we could allow the option of moving them on both platforms, eventually...

Edited by cmorgan, 30 January 2008 - 07:42 AM.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

Okie dokie, the choice it is, and the 'offending' sentence fragment will be removed.

Doesn't sound like much of a solution to me (or to Salk). Why do we need or want two Xans running around? One isn't bad enough?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

I think what Ascension64 is saying is that he will remove the sentence fragment which has offended Kulyok,

and to assist her in not being flooded with multiple bug reports on her Xan mod when they are placed on a TDD/Mega (which she does not play or support) install when having BGT/BP and BGT/BGT Tweaks installs find multiple Xans, implement mm75's request, seconded by Azzazello:

That way it remains a player choice issue.

In other words, he is being extremely kind and assisting Mega players, the BG2 Xan mod, and traditional vanilla BGT/BGT Tweaks players, by providing new choices for both modders and players - at the cost of his own modding and development time.

EDIT: (Unless you were joking, Miloch, in which case I should be soundly thrashed and be forced to stop reading forums seriously and start writing that half-dryad/half-nymph female romanceable with a thing for half-orcs... :) )

Edited by cmorgan, 30 January 2008 - 11:04 AM.

#11 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

(this component is incompatible with The Darkest Day, Tortured Souls, Never Ending Journey, and Xan NPC)

Would it be enough to replace "Xan NPC" with "any mod that adds a BG1 NPC into BG2"?

#12 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

Would it be enough to replace "Xan NPC" with "any mod that adds a BG1 NPC into BG2"?

I don't know - how is Ajantis transferred, if at all? He is supposed to be one of the knights the PC kills in the Windspear Hills, so I would assume BGT does not transfer him.

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

I don't know - how is Ajantis transferred, if at all? He is supposed to be one of the knights the PC kills in the Windspear Hills, so I would assume BGT does not transfer him.

It's been proposed that the Ajantis in the Windspear Hills is not the loveable BG1 Ajantis, as names are re-used throughout the game.

I can live with that.