• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

I mean, purple and dark blue lighting in the sewers under Baldur's Gate! What is this - some kind of subterranean disco?

Seriously though, the lighting in the sewers finally got to me so I did something about it. Looking at the original lightmaps, I suspect that they were drawn for play testing and then forgotten about i.e. the final lightmaps were never done. I've replaced the purple and blue overall lighting with a mid-grey-green and a lighter grey-green for under the access gratings and where the reflections on the pipes indicate overhead gratings.

The original lightmaps:
Posted Image

and the replacements:
Posted Image

It's a Weidu installation so if you really want to have your subterranean disco back, you can :P

-Y-

[Edit] Updated installer attached. It now deals with BGTuTu, BGT and Baldur's Gate OG, thanks to Miloch.

Edited by Yovaneth, 20 May 2009 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

Feel free to upload this to the Misc Mods category of the Download Manager! :cheers:

Looks like it's definitely a mod I'll be using! Is it appropriate for BGT as well?

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

I never quite realised how crappy it looked down there... quite an improvement.

(Then again, maybe I did envision the BG sewers as my own private disco/orcish nightclub...)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

Feel free to upload this to the Misc Mods category of the Download Manager! :cheers:

Looks like it's definitely a mod I'll be using! Is it appropriate for BGT as well?

No - the lightmaps are specifically aimed at the BGTuTu-named sewer areas. If you can tell me what the area numbers are for the sewers in BGT then all I need to do is duplicate the lightmaps and give the duplicates their correct area numbers. After that, it's a case of changing the installer to allow you to select BGTuTu or BGT (and vanilla BG if the area numbers are different again - anyone know what they are? I'm too lazy to reinstall it just to find out).

-Y-

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

Looking at Miloch's signature...

Tutu . . . | BGT
FW0224 | AR7324 | W Sewers
FW0225 | AR7325 | Central Sewers
FW0226 | AR7326 | E Sewers

From here.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 May 2009 - 02:13 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:29 AM

And you'll want to use ENGINE_IS ~tutu~/ENGINE_IS ~bgt~ :)

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

And you'll want to use ENGINE_IS ~tutu~/ENGINE_IS ~bgt~ :)

Errrr.... do what? :blink:
Assume that the two folders containing the lightmaps inside the \sewers folder are called \BGTlights and \TuTulights; what's the code again?
:ph34r:
-Y-

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Assume that the two folders containing the lightmaps inside the \sewers folder are called \BGTlights and \TuTulights; what's the code again?

You shouldn't even need separate folders, assuming the light maps are in the same format for all platforms, which they appear to be.
BEGIN @1 //Replacement Baldur's Gate sewer lighting for BG1, Tutu and BGT

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar0224.are~ THEN BEGIN //BG1
  COPY ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0224lm.bmp~ ~override/ar0224lm.bmp~
	   ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0225lm.bmp~ ~override/ar0225lm.bmp~
	   ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0226lm.bmp~ ~override/ar0226lm.bmp~
END ELSE BEGIN
  ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~fw0224.are~ THEN BEGIN //Tutu
	COPY ~sewerlighting/lightmaps~ ~override~
  END ELSE BEGIN
	ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar7324.are~ THEN BEGIN //BGT
	  COPY ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0224lm.bmp~ ~override/ar7324lm.bmp~
		   ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0225lm.bmp~ ~override/ar7325lm.bmp~
		   ~sewerlighting/lightmaps/fw0226lm.bmp~ ~override/ar7326lm.bmp~
	END ELSE BEGIN
	  FAIL @2 //This mod is not compatible with your platform - please check your install path.
	END
  END
END
This tested out on all three platforms. I did not go into the sewers on all 3 but I saw the difference in DLTCEP and it looked fine for all three.

Also, delete the useless Windows-generated Thumbs.db files from all your subfolders, particularly the one you're copying to the override. If you don't see these, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and select "Show hidden files and folders." They get generated any time you view a folder as "Thumbnails" and serve no purpose, since the system regenerates them every time you do that.

Now maybe you can help me with adding a door to an existing area... :D

[Edit: I have not always had perfect success with GAME_IS or ENGINE_IS checks, but from what I understand, the commands perform the same sorts of checks as FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME, perhaps less precisely than what I did above, so you're better off specifying your own files.]

Edited by Miloch, 20 May 2009 - 10:38 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Now maybe you can help me with adding a door to an existing area... :D

PM me... it's the least I can do in return for your help. There are some serious limitations doing that though; it is not possible to code-in a new door so that you have open and close animations. What can be done is the door-in-a-tunnel (as I did for cmorgan in this topic) or the door-that's-just-out-of-view so that all you get is the entrance icon (as in a lot of buildings in Beregost).

-Y-

[Edit] New version of the installer attached (first post).

Edited by Yovaneth, 20 May 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#10 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the great replacement. :woot:

It would be nice if you can include the German translation:

LANGUAGE ~English~ ~English~ ~sewerlighting/english/sewers.tra~
LANGUAGE ~Deutsch~ ~German~ ~sewerlighting/german/sewers.tra~

german/sewers.tra
@1 = ~Ersetzt die Baldur's Gate Kanalisationsbeleuchtung fuer BG TuTu/BGT/Baldur's Gate~

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

PM me... it's the least I can do in return for your help. There are some serious limitations doing that though; it is not possible to code-in a new door so that you have open and close animations. What can be done is the door-in-a-tunnel (as I did for cmorgan in this topic) or the door-that's-just-out-of-view so that all you get is the entrance icon (as in a lot of buildings in Beregost).

I can't read that link (maybe it's in a forum I don't have access to) but PM sent. What I need is a cave entrance or two so it really doesn't require separate open/closed animations.

It would be nice if you can include the German translation...
@1 = ~Ersetzt die Baldur's Gate Kanalisationsbeleuchtung fuer BG TuTu/BGT/Baldur's Gate~

You'll also need to translate @2 for a failed install unless Yovaneth left that out (it's really just an idiot check in case someone tries to install this on BG2 or some other invalid path).

@2 = ~This mod is not compatible with your platform - please check your install path.~

#12 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Any other language requests from anyone? I'll wait a week or so to see if there are.

-Y-

#13 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

You'll also need to translate @2 for a failed install unless Yovaneth left that out (it's really just an idiot check in case someone tries to install this on BG2 or some other invalid path).

@2 = ~This mod is not compatible with your platform - please check your install path.~

All right. :)

german/sewers.tra
@2 = ~Diese Modifikation ist nicht kompatibel mit deiner Plattform - bitte pruefe deinen Installationspfad~

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#14 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

german/sewers.tra

I'd be grateful if you could give me the translation for 'Replacement lightmaps for BG TuTu/BGT/Baldur's Gate' as it looks like I'm going to be overhauling quite a few areas. I've just done all six levels of the Iron Throne and I'm aware of at least two more areas that are just plain wrong.

Iron Throne before
Posted Image

Iron Throne after
Posted Image

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 23 May 2009 - 01:09 AM.

#15 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:27 AM

What!?! You don't think they wanted green candles lighting the Iron Throne HQ?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#16 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

More like Rupert the Dye Merchant is hiding behind the door and flinging green dye at them as they come in. Don't ask what happens on the way out - you really don't want to know.

-Y-

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Don't ask what happens on the way out - you really don't want to know.

Rofl.

(And is it just me, or is the first fat guy supposed to be standing on the beam? Kind of a wack perspective there...)

#18 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

I think he is dithered...

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#19 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

Supposed to be.... but it doesn't really look like it.

-Y-

#20 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Brilliant stuff! Might actually be enough to make me look forward to firing up Tutu again. I really hate the lighting in the sewers and in the Iron Throne.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum