Pandora's Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:59 AM

Hello and welcome! In this thread you will find some short stories that I have written over the last year or so. Most of them have been written as responses for the fortnightly quizzes in the Attic forums.

This first tale was written for the quiz, the topic of which was 'Revenge'. This continuity has not been expanded on in any other stories apart from this one. All in all this was an awkward story for me to write - usually I write a romanced Jaheira.

Each tale will be disclaimed separately, if the content will warrant it. This first story does not contain anything that would deserve a disclaimer.

~***~

Always

Once again she had to bite the pillow to hold back the tears, lately they came far too often for her liking. Over a ten-day since their return from the Abyss, over a ten-day since the Holy Avenger sword of her young charge pierced the leather mask of the villain, while her scimitar found its way to the beast?s tainted heart. Over a ten-day since her vow of vengeance was fulfilled.

She never expected it to bring her joy or happiness - she was no fool. Still, it needed to be done, Khalid had to be avenged? her own honor was at stake. And she had seen to it, her iron will and determination had guided her through once again. In the end Irenicus had bled, just like countless dozens before him, slain by her hand ? and aside from the moment of satisfaction she felt over her held promise, it left her empty and exhausted.

When they all died and were pulled into the hell, following Maywin, not for a moment she had feared for her own life. Instead, with a grim recognition she found that the thought of dying did not scare her at all? she looked for something she would miss on the mortal plane ? instead, she understood that the only thing, the only one she really missed was already dead? Secretly, she had hoped to die in that final confrontation ? to exact her vengeance, to die and be reunited with her beloved Khalid ? but in the end, Irenicus was dead and she had to live on.

What for? Her quest was at an end, where would she go now? She knew that this question would arise sooner and later, but she always managed to avoid it. There was always something important on the agenda ? to rescue Imoen, the quest to recover Imoen and Maywin?s souls? and they needed her to be strong and reliable, she could not afford to be weak. Until now? why did Maywin chose to stay here, in Suldanessellar, for so long? She was like a lioness in a cage, entrapped with her thoughts, unable to get out.

But how could she be so selfish ? both Imoen and Maywin deserved some peace and rest, they needed to recuperate and she would not deny them that, after everything they both went through. And Maywin wanted to spend some time together with his chosen, she understood that too?

He was a fine man ? the young paladin would make both Gorion and Khalid proud, she thought at herself. Khalid? yes, he would be so proud, the time he spent together with Maywin was not wasted - his advice and tutelage had left a mark. Perhaps that was yet another reason why she had chosen to stay with Maywin ? he was a constant remembrance of her husband? she had nothing tangible that would remind her of him? except for his wedding ring, always with her?

And memories? thousands and thousands of resurfacing memories? initially, while still tormented by her guilt, they only served to plague and torture her furthermore. She remembered the times when instead of being the loving wife, she had only nagged and chided him? hardly ever uttering a word of approval ? she felt that she had been ungrateful and had not appreciated the gift that was his love.

With time, however, these memories were replaced by others that she could think of with fondness? Khalid and her, lying together, embraced with him gently whispering loving words in her ear? something about him being the luckiest man on the world?

She could not hold back the tears any longer? angry with herself she allowed them to trickle down her cheeks and to fall on her pillow. She was surprised at how? good it felt to cry. That was all I seem to do these days, she chuckled inwardly. Yet she did not loathe herself for being so weak - firstly, because there was nobody around to see it and secondly ? each time she cried, a small part of her pain flew away together with the tears. Perhaps? perhaps one day the pain would disappear and only the fond memories would remain. And she would be able to live her own life? she was still so young and had a century, maybe even two ahead of her. Suddenly, she felt a little flicker of hope, which surprised her greatly, a ten-day ago she had thought her life had reached the end.

She rolled over in her large, lonely bed? where there was a place for someone beside her, was only cold emptiness.

She acknowledged just how greatly she missed being loved, both emotionally and physically? and the latter was just as important as the former. While she could always do something about it herself, just to release the tensions inside her? she did not feel any shame or guilt over it, yet it was not the same. Nobody could replace her Khalid, she would not be the one to dishonor his memory for a simple pleasure ? while it may be an immediate solution she knew that she would hate herself afterwards.

Her thoughts once again rolled over to her young charge, Maywin. She was proud of him too, he was a gentle and caring person, compassionate, understanding - someone that she felt she could trust and talk to. But with the rescue of Imoen and Maywin?s blossoming relationship with Viconia, Jaheira felt left out. She missed her conversations with Maywin, but she was never going to butt in the relationship of the others and burden others with her problems. Especially, when the others had something else on their minds? She remembered how disapproving she was of his involvement with the drow ?in the end she had to acknowledge that Maywin not only avoided being corrupted, but instead it was Viconia who had changed for the better? and she was genuinely pleased to see them both happy, even if sometimes a spark of envy lit in her heart.

There was a reason for that and she knew it? before they had met up with Viconia and rescued Imoen, she and Maywin had spent a lot of time together. They had spent countless nights awake, both sharing their pain and? she felt herself opening up to him, he was such a good listener and he always found the right words to say, despite his youth and inexperience. But? when he put her arms around her or squeezed her hand? she had always rebuffed him, leaving them both confused and even more hurt. It was not that she did not find his touch pleasing, quite on the contrary? and that was why it felt so very wrong?

In the end she felt happy that she had driven him away, that they came across Viconia? she knew that in another time, another place, she and Maywin could have been more than just friends. But it was not to be, not here, not now ? and she felt no regrets about it.

Time and time again, she felt his glances, even as he was with Viconia? she had thought that his gaze held pity for her and she was angry with that ? she did not want anyone pitying her. Later, she understood that it was not a pity. Maywin cared for her, she realized that now ? but she could not return the feelings, she did not have them. And he loved Viconia wholeheartedly - he was not someone who toys with the feelings of others?

A sound of clanking metal reached her ears from the hallway, only Maywin could be so? subtle. She wiped her eyes clean as best as she could and prepared to meet him? soon enough a knock on the door was heard and at her invitation, the young man in the shining plate mail stepped in her room.

?Jaheira? Queen El?? he suddenly stopped in half sentence as he noticed the moistness on her cheeks, ?Jaheira, is there something wrong, have you been??

In reply, she instinctively embraced him and after overcoming the initial shock, he slowly but surely returned the embrace.

?Are you all right?? he asked, still confused, after they had separated from each other, ?you certainly caught me unawares, Jaheira??

?I? I feel better than I have felt for a long time, Maywin,? she grinned lightly, ?but you would not visit me, unless you had something important to say, am I right??

The expression in his blue eyes stirred up a flicker of pain and Jaheira mentally reprimanded for pointing out his negligence of her? she had no right to do so. Luckily, seeing her in better mood, seemed to have lighted Maywin?s spirits as well.

?Indeed, I do. Queen Ellisime wishes to speak with us and I gather that there are new battles looming at the horizon,? his expression turned serious, ?you have already done so much for me, Jaheira. There is no need to further endanger yourself by staying with me.?

?Maywin? you? you were there, when I needed you and you gave my life what little purpose it had after? Khalid,? she replied, looking into his eyes, ?and you have ensured that I have a chance to continue with my life and? perhaps, one day I will find happiness again. Perhaps by following you ? who?s to know? Know, that you can count on me. Always.?

?Thank you, Jaheira,? the relief in his eyes was clear for her to see, he had wanted her to stay, ?somehow I knew that you would chose to stay. We will meet you downstairs, come as soon as you are ready.?

Jaheira stood for prolonged moments, even after Maywin had left? yes, she would follow him. And maybe in the end there would be some happiness for her as well.

You can count on me, she whispered, always?

#2 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

This story can be considered a prequel (consisting from two parts) to my BG2 novel, ?Rush Of Blood To The Head?, which you can find somewhere on this board. It helps if you are familiar with the events that occur in the main novel, but this should make sense as a standalone piece, as well. :)

Disclaimer: PG-13, I guess. Musings of adultery? and for now, they are only musings? ;)

~***~

The Cage Of Love

?One, two, three? four? five? Are you trying to beat the local record, Theo? You still have? err? twenty-seven to go and you already look like a rotten cabbage?? the annoyingly cheerful voice breaks through the heavy curtain of drunkenness. Imoen.

Wonderful, I don?t need that joyful brat around me when I?m trying to drink myself into a stupor? I hate to see anyone being happy when I am feeling so miserable, myself.

?Theo? please stop - I don?t like when you?re drinking like this, it? scares me. What could be so wrong that you can?t even tell me?? she continues to pursue me like an irritated wasp, ?I bet Jaheira isn?t very happy for having to waste her spells to patch you up in the mornings??

Jaheira? Here I managed not to think of her for a short while, only for this little twerp to remind me of her again? why, oh why did I ever so foolishly hoped that by filling myself full with this disgusting piss they call ale I could actually forget about her? a temporary respite is all I ask for, but I am not granted even that.

?Will you leave me alone, Imoen?? the shove is harder than I meant to be and she almost falls of her chair and the pained, accusing stare in her eyes adds even more to my world of hurt. The slap of her hand on my chin is not a heavy one, but it?s not the physical pain that hurts the most.

?You? you ungrateful? buffleheaded moron! I am trying to help you, yet you? ugh! I?m not speaking with you ever again!? she whirls around to rush away angered. I briefly shout an apology, but her only reaction is to throw her hands up in desperation briefly before she disappears upstairs.

She?ll forgive me. She always does. That doesn?t give me the right to treat her like I did, however. Yet another reason to loathe myself.

?It?s not helping, is it?? I recognize the shrill, teasing voice and a pair of slim hands that sneak around my neck from behind.

Is a brief spell of solitude too much to ask? Do I really have to put a sign that says ? ?This man wants to drink himself to death and preferably to do it alone?? And of all the people, who want to bother me, I really don?t need this? temptress around me. Why can?t she realize that I want nothing from her - that her charms and sex appeal are lost on me? Why doesn?t she ever give up on teasing and provoking me?

?Are you still chasing dreams, foolish jaluk? I could offer you more than just that? but you are drunk like a filthy animal and I would not take to bed any male in such state,? Viconia?s mocking words echo in my clouded mind.

?What are you babbling about, Viconia?? I snarl at her, ?I am not chasing anything??

?I see? you are running away from your dreams then. You can?t escape them, wael? trust me. Poor baby? Viconia knows your hurt,? she purrs in my ear.

?You talk too much, Viconia. It might be the reason of your downfall, one day,? I take a hold of her hands and remove them from my chest, ?Not to mention that you talk useless and unfounded nonsense.?

?Ha! Are you threatening me? I know more about you than you have admitted to yourself, iblith!? she steps back a few paces from me and crosses her hands on her chest, looking at me meaningfully.

?What for, Viconia? Why should I threaten you? There is no reason? nothing has happened. No? I am just warning you. Like any true friend would,? I smirk.

?Fine? friend,? she spits out venomously before leaving me to sit alone, which is exactly what I wanted.

What a bitch? how did we ever got involved with her? First we had to rescue her only because Imoen just had to talk us into saving her from Flaming Fist. Well, I think we would have done it without her pleas, but ever since she has been like glued to that Drow. And now of course I can?t even send her away, because it will only draw tears and protests from Imoen.

Does that bitch really think I?m so blind to see what game she is playing? Using Immy to get to me? like a fool, she has been convinced that Viconia and I would make the perfect couple. Someone?s been reading too many romance novels as of late, I fear. Crawling out of her skin to set us both up, all those unfortunate incidents, like opening the door to their room at the exact moment when Viconia is undressing? pah! As if that would ever work? she is not what I need, want, desire?

No, I desire someone else? a woman I shouldn?t be coveting. The very thought of that is sinful, but? how can avoid thinking them, how can I avoid my feelings?

Talking with Viconia and Imoen has slightly dispersed my drunkenness and as I cast my eyes downward on the half-empty mug of ale, I can only feel revulsion.

What do I hope to achieve drinking like this, acting like an idiot? I know? I want her to despise me, to look at me with disgust, but? she doesn?t. And I don?t know her reasons? she can be so nasty towards Viconia and Edwin, she can scold her husband and lecture Imoen, but? lately she has stopped reprimanding me of anything. Why?

The last three mornings, it has always been the same? I can already imagine what awaits me tomorrow morning?

?You look awful. Why are you doing this to yourself, what bothers you so?? her voice, deep, low and sensual, her fingers gently tracing my face and brushing away the strands of my hair, before proceeding to cast the spell that would ease my hangover.

?Nothing is wrong. I am perfectly fine,? I would say, as always.

?If you say so. Though, I clearly see that something is weighing on you. If you wish to talk, Khalid and me, we are always here for you,? she would press on with something along these lines.

?I will remember that,? would be all that I can reply.

Would you really want to know what is bothering me, Jaheira? That I love you? That I have loved you since I saw you for the first time? Do you really wish to hear that? No, I don?t think so? and you shall not hear those words from my mouth? I can?t speak them? I?d rather waste my life away.

?B-but you c-can?t go on with this drinking, T-Theodur? G-Gorion would not approve?? her husband would add, hesitant as always.

Khalid. Why do you have to be such a nice and supportive fellow? Why do you have to be so likeable, my friend? Why couldn?t you be an evil bastard, a despicable drunkard who mistreats his wife, friends and family? Then I would not feel so bad for feeling the way I do. Ah, yes? but she wouldn?t love you if you were anything but yourself. You have got to be very special? and that is why I feel even more of a bastard. For loving your wife, friend. Forgive me.

The mug flies across the room and shatters against the opposite wall, the shards of glass and drops of ale splash over the nearby patrons. Yelling something incomprehensible, two of them tuck up their sleeves and approach me with a clear intent to beat me up like a sack of potatoes. I don?t mind. Actually, that?s what I want. Perhaps some physical pain could divert my thoughts?

?The two of you! Yes, you! Leave the man alone!? I recognize the female who stops the two men before they have even reached my table. Her word is a law in Elfsong ? Alyth Elendara, owner of the place. The two men grumble, but she threatens to throw them out, unless they leave me alone? I wonder why is this elderly lady so concerned about my well-being.

?What ails the heart of my elven brother? But does it even requires asking? burdens of love bear on your heart, brother mine,? she speaks gently, sitting beside me and placing her palm over mine, ?has the song of the wailing elf depressed you so much, young man??

I cannot reply, but neither do I want to push her away? after all, she doesn?t appear to want something from me, unlike the others. I can only manage a weak smile in return and perhaps the look in my eyes is so hunted and pained that it gives the secret away.

?Ah, I see? yes, I have been watching you? and I understand,? she smiles sadly, twirling a lock of her brown hair around her finger, ?and I wish I could give you an advice, young one. Perhaps putting some distance between the two of you might help? it is worth consideration??

She sits beside me for a little while, but then the cook?s voice resonates across the hall and she rises to head over to the kitchen, but not before patting me on the shoulder. I barely notice it, buried deep in my thoughts, stirred up by her words.

Send her, send them away? Yes, I have already thought of that? especially in the moments when I was forced to witness some of their rare displays of affection in public? those always stung my heart like nothing else could.

And what would I say, what reasons could I give when they would question my decision?

?G-gorion would have not wished t-that?? Khalid would say.

He would not have wished me coveting your wife, Khalid? could I possibly dare tell the truth? No, I am too much of a weakling for that? and I would lose her forever, I am certain of it? while she is here, I? it?s not like I have chance, but? I don?t know. Why doesn?t the hope die, as it rightfully should?

And to be frank, I don?t want her to leave? seeing her face, seeing them together ? it hurts? but not seeing her hurts even more? I wish I could see a way to end this misery, but I see only one way out? through my death. Which means that we really should go to meet this Sarevok soon?

The singing ghost of The Elfsong Tavern resumes her wailing? and for a moment I almost feel better. At least I?m not alone in my pain.

#3 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

This story is a follow-up to 'The Cage of Love', second part of the prequel to the main novel.

Disclaimer: PG-13, adult themes.

I feel obliged to note that I cannot see Jaheira ever cheating on Khalid (and vice versa) under normal circumstances. The story works with an assumption that in this particular alternative universe, Jaheira?s marriage with Khalid is suffering a crisis? something that no marriage is protected from.

~***~

No Way Back

The city of Baldur?s Gate wakes early and the sounds of the hustle and bustle in the streets flow in through the half-opened window of my room. But it is neither the sound nor the first rays of rising sun that wakes me. I have not been sleeping, but I can?t say that I have been at my full consciousness during these last hours? since she left.

I turn my head to look at where she had slept, atop of the blankets, either preferring to sleep uncovered or in order to prevent herself from getting too comfortable, knowing that she would have to leave me soon. I reach out my hand, gliding it across the blankets and then slowly drag myself lower in the bed to brush my lips against them? As I inhale deeply, I realize that the cloth still holds her enchanting, alluring scent, so strong that it makes my head dizzy.

I look up the bed to notice a long strand of a golden-brown hair, lying on the fluffy pillow? Slowly I reach out to take it and notice how my fingers are shaking as I do so. Carefully, I remove the precious object from the pillow and gently twirl it around my fingers? she must have lost it as my hands got entangled in her hair, pulling and tearing at them, perhaps a little too forcefully than I intended, but by that time I was not fully in control of my own body? I recall her cries, but I am certain that it wasn?t the result of what I was doing with her hair, at that moment we were well beyond the point of caring about little, insignificant physical pain.

I hoped that I had? performed adequately. Truth be told, I was too shocked and numb to even move, as she sneaked inside my room and after she had made her intentions clear. I did not ask her why she was here and she did not explain? we simply made love to each other. It was the first time I was with a woman, but I wasn?t nervous. No, not nervous? terrified would be a more correct description.

Yet she was so understanding, taking the initiative and doing everything to make me feel comfortable and relaxed. And after that? well, I only had to do, what I had already done to her thousands and thousands of times in my dreams and fantasies. And those cute, little gasps and moans that escaped her lips as she vainly tried to contain the pleasure she felt? I had never felt or heard anything so beautiful as the gratifying responses of my lover. At that moment, I understood that the only thing I really want in my life, is to love this woman, to please and satisfy her in any way I can?

I slowly weave the strand of her hair through my fingers, lost in my thoughts, reliving in my head that indescribable moment when she trembled in my hands and cried out when the pleasure became too much to bear? I slowly wrap the hair around my index finger? she loves me. The strand of hair makes another circle around my finger? she loves me not. Third circle? she does love me?

Fourth, fifth? eleventh, twelfth? sixteen? seventeen. She loves me.

I sink back into the soft pillows, feeling relieved, relaxed? happy? I guess so. I know that in order to be truly happy, I need her here, beside me, but? I still feel content. Somehow? somehow everything feels and looks different this morning? even here, in my room. I haven?t noticed the odd looking pictures of Balduran himself, hanging at the walls? I never noticed that the tapestries were in a light brown color, the window curtain in deep green, or the ceiling embellished with woodcarvings. And the freshly cut flowers in the vase on the table, no doubt placed there by an attention-seeking maid? they always had their eyes set for adventurers with pouches filled with gold coins. Was my vision so clouded that I did not notice all of this before? I suppose so?

She stayed with me for a while, after the lovemaking? I don?t know for how long, but not long enough, of that I am certain. I don?t think we actually spoke a word throughout the whole night, perhaps only in the heat of the passion. I did not know what to say and I was not sure what she expected me to say? so I kept quiet, fearing to say something that she might find inappropriate? and I didn?t want to spoil the moment or to push her away. I knew that she was feeling guilty? I? I was too happy to feel guilty, I suppose she was happy too? and perhaps that she was happy made her feel even guiltier than she already was.

I knew I shouldn?t have said those words, even as she rose from the bed to leave me? yet I did.

I told her that I love her.

She didn?t react well to hearing these words? No, her reaction was harsh? she slapped me on the cheek and it hurt. It hurt very much and I don?t mean the physical pain, but I understood her. Still, I had no idea as to why she chose to come to me in the first place. Unless, she really did love me?

I hear footsteps in the hall, it must be one of my companions, up already, so it would seem? Will I be able to pretend as if nothing had happened? What if they already know?

The thought of facing them? scares me? especially facing Khalid. I am unsure if I can find the strength and courage to look in his eyes, after all I? we have done.

Khalid, friend, I didn?t mean to? but that would be a lie, wouldn?t it? I had already betrayed him thousands and thousands of times in my dreams and fantasies? or that doesn?t count?

And I wish I could find some excuse for what we?ve done? but I see none, apart from two individuals unable to control their lust? though, at this point I was still unsure about Jaheira?s motivation.

I slowly crawl out of my bed and look into the mirror on the wall. Hmm? I suppose, I don?t look too bad? especially considering that this was not exactly a very peaceful night. However, that impish, self-satisfied and all-knowing grin has got to disappear from my face. Most definitely. I was in a really bad mood and sulking when I retired to the bed last night, and nothing that could have improved my mood so dramatically, should have happened overnight. I should try to look a bit indifferent? slightly troubled? let?s hope I can pull it off?

Half satisfied with my looks, I head out of the room to face my comrades who are most likely already having breakfast.

~***~

So far, so good, I note to myself, quietly conversing with my friends at the breakfast table in Elfsong. Imoen, Viconia and Edwin are debating about our plans for the day, as I see Khalid and Jaheira descending down the stairs? their hands linked as they join the table.

Well, I suppose that is normal, isn?t it? I mean? I can?t expect her to be cold or cruel to him, can I? And if I am honest, I am not sure what I expect from her?

?That was quite the noise coming from your room last night, Jaheira,? Viconia speaks suddenly and my heart almost leaps out of my mouth at her words. I see that Jaheira?s face has gone white as chalk and Khalid? Khalid is blushing furiously.

?Quite the contrast to the usual silence? if you get my meaning, jalil,? Viconia smirks and I finally understand. Her room is next to Khalid and Jaheira?s? and he is still quite red in the face, I see that Jaheira is looking at me, as if trying to apologize and explain.

I fight the urge to rise on my feet and call her a bitch, a filthy whore? but I calm down very quickly. I have nothing to blame her for - after all she is only doing her obligations of a loving wife by sleeping with her husband? I can?t really call her a whore for that, can I?

Yes, I suppose she was so filled with the guilt that she wanted to make up to him? but even then, thinking about it hurts. It really does? and I can?t but hate myself a bit for being too weak to reject her when she stood in front of me, offering her love, her body.

?Keep your mouth shut, drow,? Jaheira retorts, ?our private matters are not for you to discuss!?

Viconia remains quiet, but the way she looks at me is? it is worrying me. What if her comment was not simply coincidental? No? I am very sure it wasn?t ? Viconia doesn?t do a thing just by coincidence, she is always scheming something? but does she really knows about us? already?

I look at the drow, but the expression in her eyes is unreadable? I turn away, realizing that the concern and fear in my eyes could be very easy for her to read. This is going to be a hard day, I realize, wiping my mouth with a napkin and following my friends out of the inn.

~***~

That was a very hard day, indeed, is the dominant thought on my mind, as I sit at the table in the main hall of the Elfsong. Once again, I am all alone as my comrades have all turned in for the night? this time however, I am not sinking myself in ale, unlike only three days ago. And I won?t turn to the ale, since I need a clear head on my shoulders and I have to remain calm and rational through this?

I suppose, I maintained the ruse fairly well throughout the day, certainly I was not looking at Jaheira more often than usual. In fact it was she, who was acting? well, different than normally. Khalid did look fairly perplexed about the change in her attitude towards him, she was so warm and caring like I never saw her before. Yes, I know, she was driven by her terrible guilt, trying to atone to him, but? unwillingly, she was hurting me? a lot. But even then, I could not be angry with her.

Khalid didn?t seem to understand the reasons for such drastic changes, though I am sure he did make some guesses? and it probably won?t take him long to figure it out, he is no fool. Imoen and Edwin were totally clueless and ignorant of what was going on around them? Viconia? she behaved oddly.

For some strange reason, she was unexpectedly pleasant towards me and? and yet as I reluctantly tried to reply her with the same, I received abusive insults and even punches in return. I am too confused to even guess what that was all about, so I leave the table to return to my room. Perhaps a good night?s sleep will do me some good and I will be able to see things from a much more clearer perspective.

The hallway to my room is as dark as the deepest pits of hell and I drag my hand along the wall, in order not to bump into it. My room is the last one at the end of the corridor and it is almost as dark as the corridor itself, the moonlight that played on the bed and the two naked bodies in it, last night, has hidden itself behind the thick clouds.

I sigh and begin to undress myself without bothering to light up the room. As I sit on the bed to remove my boots, my hand lands on something? someone? warm, in my bed. I barely oppress the yelp, jumping out of the bed and it is enough to wake whoever has been snoozing in my bed. I quickly lit the candle and turn to see Jaheira, sitting on the edge of the bed and wiping the sleep out of her eyes.

?Jaheira? Is that? you, or am I hallucinating?? I whisper.

?It is me, don?t be foolish,? she says, ?I came here to talk with you, but you were not here and I decided to wait for you. I must have fallen asleep.?

?Does? Khalid know?? I start only to be cut off abrupt.

?No, I left him sleeping. I came here to? to explain? and to make sure that you are not? that there are not any misunderstandings or hard feelings between us??

?Why would there be, Jaheira?? I ask, even though I know what she means. I need to make sure if that really is the reason she has been waiting for me for god knows how long.

?I? I mean? I thought you might be hurt, by seeing? well? Khalid and? me,? I have never seen her so confused and fidgety as she stands now, before me.

?But you are married, Jaheira? you shouldn?t feel sorry if I get hurt by that. I mean? I am the one who acted wrongly,? I say, watching her face intently.

?No, you must not blame yourself, Theodur,? she speaks resolutely, grabbing my arm, ?it was I, this all is my fault? I was foolish and weak? and? and I need you to understand that you are not to blame.?

?If you say so. What happens next, Jaheira?? I look at her.

?Next? There is no next, Theodur. Last night was a mistake, a lapse of my judgment? I am sorry for doing this to you, but I thought? well, regardless of what I thought, I hope that you understand that? that it cannot continue? and I hope that we? we can be? that there won?t be ill feelings between us, I would hate my foolishness to spoil the relationship we had before that night?? her words seem extremely disjointed for someone who I have used to see only stern, tough and self-assured?

I am very surprised that I can keep my composure and remain calm, given that in similar circumstances last night, I had already turned into a ?drooling simian? as Edwin would have so eloquently put it. Perhaps, that is because I am so assured of her feelings towards me? I don?t know why, but I believe that she does love me, even if I see that she is very determined not to admit it. I suppose, that I must be clever enough to drag it out of her, then?

?So you propose that we simply strip the last night from our memories, Jaheira? To pretend that it never happened? You know well enough that I can?t do that,? I say.

?Theodur, but you must! For? for your own good,? she clutches my arm and looks at me pleadingly.

?Jaheira, I can?t accept that? after you have allowed me to find out how beautiful it is to love you? you can?t push me away. Especially, if you are so concerned about what is good for me? you are good for me,? I draw her closer, but she frees herself from my embrace and jumps a few paces back.

?Please, you must listen to me?? she starts again, but this time I don?t allow her to finish.

?Jaheira? one easy question? do you love me?? I look into her eyes, trying to discern the truth in those bottomless depths of her gaze?

?I? I can?t?? she turns away from me to walk out of the room.

?Hold on? I have one last question? do you not love me, then?? I look at her, my heart is bumping and leaping in my chest as I hold my breath, dreading to hear the words that could shatter my whole life.

Silence. Even more silence, as she looks into my eyes and then lets her gaze drop down as she faces the floor.

?You can?t say those words, Jaheira,? I whisper, drawing her closer and it seems that she has lost all the strength to fight back as she allows me to gently embrace her.

?I don?t know what to do, Jaheira? I really don?t. And if I thought that forgetting the last night would be the right solution, then I would agree with you? but I don?t think it is the right thing to do. And I know that you feel the same way,? I gently kiss her forehead, before continuing, ?all I know is that? I need you? I love you.?

?Theodur?? she sighs quietly, seemingly giving up on her struggle.

?Please, stay with me? let me love you tonight, Jaheira,? I lean closer to kiss her.

?I? I hate you, Theodur?? she whispers, before answering my kiss. And at this moment we both realize what we knew already? there is no way back.

#4 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:33 AM

This is a BG1 story, written from a point of view of an unnamed Bhaalspawn PC, who is traveling with the standard BG2 starting group.

This story is high on angst, and could be classified as a horror tale. If you have picked up all the clues along the way it might be shocking in the end? Consider yourself warned. :o

~***~

Suspicious Minds

Our second day of stay in the city of Baldur?s Gate was nearing to an end.

It was then when I finally managed to come up with a semi-decent theory that allowed me to explain all the weird occurrences that had beset us during our short stay. It was a theory that explained facts very well indeed, but instead of making me satisfied, my conclusions left me shattered, crying and refusing to believe it.

I had to wonder about Khalid?s blindness - if it was apparent to me, he should have suspected it first. Come to think of it, I actually think he knew it all too well, just refused to believe it much the same as I. Living in denial was all too easy, especially in the case if you are in love with the person in suspect? and he loved her madly, his timid and reserved demeanor could not hide it.

It all started so well, at Scar?s request we looked into the problems of the Seven Suns merchant guild and found it to be full of doppelgangers. Quite disgusting creatures they were too. Scar was very thankful indeed and rewarded us with another errand to run.

The exploration of sewers was not what you could call a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Yet it yielded us the results Scar awaited from us, the details are unimportant in this case. After this trip we all decided that the wisest thing to do would be to find the nearest inn and make ourselves as clean as possible and hopefully to get rid of that disgusting sewer stench.

When I laid my head on the pillows that evening in the Elfsong Tavern, my thoughts began to unfold as I took the exploits of previous day in recollection.

The plan was always simple, Sarevok loomed like a threatening menace over our horizon, his existence posed a threat to our survival and he needed to be removed. As I considered our further plans of action, my thoughts slowly rolled in other direction?

Since our arrival in the city, she had been acting? odd. I couldn?t quite explain it myself and failed to find any reasons for such sudden change. I tried to get my mind off her, but lately it was proving to be more and more difficult. The next morning I confronted Khalid about this matter, as tactfully and discreetly as I possibly could, given the conditions. For the most part he denied anything I said and explained the slight changes of her behavior due to her distaste for cities as such.

Hmph. I could hear the doubts in his voice - he was a miserable actor and his stutter became much worse when he tried to convince me. I decided not to push the matter further, instead deciding to keep a close eye on them both.

Soon I had another reason to be worried.

We were exploring the city, searching for any bits and pieces of information that could help us to understand Sarevok?s plans, his motives. It was then when someone whispered words of warning from a dark alley. They came from a very scared looking Iron Throne assassin, one of those two who had already threatened us earlier. He didn?t have a chance to repeat his threats as Jaheira?s scimitar struck swiftly and he dropped dead at our feet before managing to utter a single word.

Her explanation that anyone working for Iron Throne cannot be trusted felt quite questionable, especially when I seriously felt that this man had something very urgent and important to say to us.

Amazingly, we found ourselves in reversed roles, as I had to chide Jaheira over a stupid, rash decision? and this gave me another reason to worry. Since our arrival, I have not heard a word of disapproval, no criticisms or outright rebellion against my plans, not even a single angry glare from her. All these things that annoyed me immensely at the start of our cooperation, but to whom I gradually grew fond of as our friendship developed? much the same way I found myself growing fonder of her as a person ? perhaps that was why I was able to spot that something was? badly wrong.

The events at the dinner table later that day planted yet another seed of doubt in my head. Both Imoen and Dynaheir threw up after the dinner and complained about nausea. My stomach felt slightly upset as well, but it wasn?t something that I would normally worry about? Khalid also expressed a slight discontentment about his condition. Minsc felt great as usual, as long as there were enough evil butts to kick, he was happy. Jaheira also felt good, according to her own words.

She put the blame of our condition on the fact that we were unaccustomed to the local food. Perhaps she was right and perhaps her refusal to waste healing spells on Imoen?s and Dynaheir?s small problems was the right one as well. In the context of everything that had happened before it felt all too suspicious, but perhaps I was developing a bad case of paranoia and I saw something in her behavior that really wasn?t there at all.

When I was lying in my bed that evening, the simple theory slowly crystallized in my mind. I was not sure what to do with it though and how to proceed with my newly obtained knowledge.

I was still rolling around in my bed in desperation, when someone rushed into my room without bothering to knock on the door. Much to my surprise it was Khalid, he was red in the face and looking extremely worried, even in panic.

?That is not my wife,? was all that I managed to extract from him, of course it took me almost ten minutes until he calmed down and was able to stammer out these five words. He refused to explain *exactly* how he came to be so sure about it and something inside told me that I really don?t want to know the details? It also proved right my suspicions that he was aware of it for the whole time? judging by his reactions, he probably set a trap of some sort and she fell in it? or perhaps he? no, I can?t think about that.

At least it was clear what had to be done now. Khalid was in no condition to perform the deed however, neither I wanted him to do it. I loathed the idea myself, especially in that moment when I buried my sword between her shoulder blades.

Khalid wept as I returned to my room? I don?t remember, but he said that I cried too. I wonder if he knows why?

~***~

We found Jaheira?s body in the basement of the Seven Suns building.

She had been dead only for an hour or two at most, the head wound she had received was very severe indeed, but not severe enough to kill her instantly.

The priests were able to raise her and she was back with us.

Khalid says that she will find the strength to live on when this is all over with. He takes it all with amazing calmness, I cannot stop to admire him.

Just as I cannot stop hating myself for what we have done to her?

~***~

#5 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:09 AM

This tale was written for the Attic quiz, the topic of which was "Soap". We were encouraged to write stories unfolding in a soap-opera setting, featuring the familiar cast of BG2 NPC's. I wrote this story a bit differently, assuming that the NPC's are actors or otherwise involved in casting of the soap-opera (which in this case would be a TV-version of my novel "Rush of Blood To The Head") :) It was a silly experiment, but I hope you enjoy this little oddity. :huh:

Some slightly mature stuff inside, but nothing too bad. :)

~***~

Rush: Behind The Scenes

Ah, another day, another penny to earn, I think, leaning back in the comfy chair and seizing the morning paper in my hands. Hmm, let?s see what that rascal Charlie Brown is up to again? I muse sleepily, turning the last page of the paper and scrolling down to the comic?s column.

Silence once again overtakes the little bungalow that I and my co-star and conveniently also my lover, share as a place to dress, make up and simply relax in the pauses between the filming. Indeed, the head of ?Demogorgon Home Entertainment? studios knows how to treat their stars well, we have all the comforts that one can only dream of. Yes, the old baboon is a likeable chap and this set that he has built on the outskirts of Esmeltaran is simply delightful.

I raise a glass of vermouth and gulp down a few mouthfuls of liquid on Demogorgon?s health.

If only our director (and script writer in one person) would have been as understanding and pleasant as the old baboon, but no? he is an outright bastard and sadist, always coming up with brand new ideas on how to torture me, and Jaheira as well. And there is not enough in a way of love scenes, anyway? heh, the last one we filmed was almost three weeks ago, simply unacceptable!

And when I did complain about this to the man himself, all he did was to sneer rudely and said that if love scenes is what Jaheira and I want, then perhaps we should sign up for a side job at ?Odesseiron?s Late Night Channel?, a brand new branch recently created by Demogorgon? how rude of that bastard director of ours to even suggest something like that! Well? I won?t complain for now? because I was assured that today we do get to shoot a love scene? finally!

So engaged I am in the reading and my thoughts, that I do not even notice the howling of car brakes outside and the sound of car doors being banged. But I do recognize the faint scent of her perfume and then the light footsteps as her sandals meet the floorboards. I lift my eyes from the paper to face her, observing her slim build that is even more accentuated by the elegant light brown pantsuit she wears, a gift from Khalid. Very light makeup as practically nothing is necessary to enhance her natural beauty, her long brown hair tied together at the nape.

?Morning, dearest,? she says, casually pecking me on the cheek, ?You look a bit sore today? what has that sadist planned for us today? More battle scenes, no doubt.?

?Luckily no? finally a romantic scene that ends with us making love? in a pool??

?Oh! Now that is a? pleasant change from the last few weeks,? she echoes my sentiments. Without any modesty she takes off her jacket and blouse and then comes closer and turns her back towards me, my hands slide across her back to undo the clasp of her bra.

?Remember to be very gentle, though,? she says, disappearing behind the screen to undress completely, more out of reflex, not because of feelings of modesty, before putting on her customary green tunic, ?My ribs still ache so badly after that stupid dragon fell on me thrice, yesterday.?

?I know, dear, I?ll remember that. I ache all over myself?? I sigh, ?Stupid dragons, no acting talent whatsoever. Can you believe we had to shoot that battle scene for the whole day, twenty-five takes??

?Oh, I agree, that was awful,? she says, reappearing from behind the screen and making herself comfortable in the chair opposite to me, ?Khalid took me out for a little dancing last eve, but I was so stiff that we had to call quits.?

?Do you mean to tell me that our good old Khalid did not try to make you feel better, seeing in how much pain you are?? I ask, bemused.

?Of course he did, silly,? she blushes slightly, ?Anything interesting happened during your free evening??

?Ah? just remembered something. On my way out of here, I ran into that elf girl? you know, that blonde? ah, what was her name??

?Aerie, if I am not mistaken,? Jaheira?s voice become slightly icier.

?Yes, yes, Aerie? I thought that she was no longer part of the crew, so I was surprised to see her here.?

?I believe she works as an extra here. We needed elves to shoot the Suldanessellar scenes. I have seen her hanging around with some hippies, too,? Jaheira snorts.

?Yes, I was on my way home when she intercepted me. Lamented a bit about how life?s been treating her unfairly and in the end asked me to give her twenty bucks. Said, she needed the money.?

?And you of course gave it to her. I wonder why, we pay the extras well enough,? Jaheira shrugs her shoulders.

?Oh, I did ask her that? apparently she?s saving for a breast enlargement operation. She complained about that awful Edwin, apparently he had rejected her since she doesn?t have the required size to make it onto the ?Odesseiron?s Late Night Channel???

?Ack, how disgustingly unnatural. She would do well to save that money by stopping to smoke the weed. It is most likely very expensive, judging by how often Cernd changes his cars, almost every other week.?

?Actually, she?s with Cernd now. That?s the way she pays for the weed?? I snicker.

?Oh dear,? Jaheira groans, ?Well, she certainly seems very determined to make it into the big league. And speaking of the big league?? she rises from the chair to peek out of the window, ?Here comes our dear Edwin and the girls??

I also rise from the chair to look at what is transpiring outside. A bright red Corvette is being carefully steered into the parking lot, a dark haired man dressed in a relatively simple bright red dustcoat sits at the wheel. A woman with the skin in the color of ebony and blindingly white hair that is waving in the wind, sits beside him. She is wearing a grey, skin-tight pullover that neatly underlines all her impressive natural assets? and the somewhat haughty and satisfied smile on her lips suggests that she is well aware of the impression she creates. On the backseat another woman has perched, this one slightly smaller than the dark elf on the front seat, her hair black as coal, she is wearing a simple white T-shirt with a pink hippopotamus drawn on its back.

Eddie is the first one to get out of the car and he quickly scurries around the car to open the doors for Viconia, he extends his arm to help her out and she gladly accepts it, grinning broadly. Imoen ignores them and simply vaults across the side of the cabriolet and follows them out of our sight, but not before turning towards us and blowing a kiss as she sees us watching her through the window.

?Eddie sure threats his star well,? I note, chewing on my lip.

?But of course, without Viconia his ratings would sink,? Jaheira says, ?I must say that even though at first I was outraged at the old baboon?s plans to create yet another adult entertainment network, I must say that it has worked out better than I imagined.?

?Yep, Eddie has style and taste in these matters,? I nod, ?And he?s swimming in dough and is becoming fuller of himself with every passing day.?

?Yes, but it is a blessing to have at least one interesting and educational channel, when compared to those obscenities of similar such channels. Especially that one which is ran by Saemon Havarian and Haer?Dalis? they are both such disgusting perverts!?

?True, true? Viconia?s ?Ways of The Drow? is such an excellent show, since everyone can get so many useful tips,? I chuckle, ?Too bad that Im?s feeling a bit neglected now that Vico is working so late in the nights.?

?Yes, I would imagine that she would. Did you talk with her about it??

?Yep, and she has spoken with Viconia herself and hers only reply was that if Imoen wants to spend more time with her, she should join her at the ?Odesseiron?s Late Night Channel?,? I explain, ?Im?s still thinking about that??

?I see?? Jaheira sighs, ?How comes I did not know about this??

?I only spoke to her about it yesterday, you couldn?t have known.?

?You two went somewhere together, last night?? she asks.

?Yeah? we drove to Sarry?s place.?

?Oh, I have not seen Sarry for ages. You must take me there, some time. How is he doing??

?How about tonight? It?s my turn to take you out, anyways,? I suggest and she smiles briefly, ?He?s doing great, the restaurant is prospering? despite Sarry?s odd sense of hospitality? but Tamoko makes such great sushi and it draws the crowds in, I could never get tired from eating it.?

?Wonderful, then we have our plans for the evening laid out,? Jaheira says, rubbing her hands, ?Ah, and here comes Keldorn and his bride.?

I look outside where a gracefully looking orange Aston Martin now enters the parking lot and an elderly gentleman with grey, short hair, wearing a formal looking dinner-jacket together with a very bright orange necktie, purposefully strides around the car to open the door. A young, red-haired woman, wearing a long light blue gown carefully scrambles out from the car, paying attention that her dress does not get caught up anywhere. She gracefully accepts Keldorn?s extended arm and they both proudly walk off, out of our view.

?So, when?s the wedding?? I ask, still looking out of the window.

?Twenty-third of Eleint, I believe,? Jaheira replies and I look at the calendar, clipped on the wall.

?Aww, shucks?? I exclaim. Sunday, Khalid?s turn?

?Ah, do not whine, Theo,? she says, patting me on the hand, ?Come, let us rehearse a bit for the love scene, shall we??

?Well? if you put it that way?? I smile, looking at the Rolex on the wrist of my left hand, ?Yeah, there are still some ten minutes to go? might as well make the most out of them??

#6 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

Another tale, inspired by the theme (write a story in which the protagonist sides with Bodhi) of the forthnightly quiz at the Attic site.

This is an alternative universe of the one depicted in the main novel, ?Rush Of Blood To The Head? (you can find it on this site as well) and describes what could have happened if Theo (my half-elven protagonist) were to side with Bodhi. Obviously, nothing very pleasant as the outcome of this grim tale suggests? but remember, fortunately none of this *really* happened in the main ?Rush? plotline, where Theo sided with Aran and kicked the crap out of Bodhi.

It helps if you?re familiar with the main novel ? otherwise some things may not make a lot of sense? ;)

~***~

- When a Vampire Knows a Secret -

We lived in a crypt.

I suppose that didn?t sound terribly disturbing, did it? Believe me, it was. Three days in company of vampires was plenty enough to drive one crazy?

I often questioned if our choice to side with Bodhi had been correct. True, we saved a great deal of money and if she would keep her promise, we would have Imoen back soon. Neither the problem lay in the nature of tasks she had set up for us - it was not cause of concern for me, nor Jaheira and Viconia. As long as the Shadow Thieves were the only ones ending up dead, they did not complain.

But quite frankly, Bodhi was very disturbing to work with. It was not because of her undead state, rather than of the manner in which she carried herself? her volatility did not inspire trust in me, and even less so in my ever suspicious Jaheira.

Since my divine link with Mielikki was severed by my own choice, as a result I felt less disgusted by the undead creatures as I used to be before. Unfortunately, Jaheira was suffering as the undead still created an involuntary feeling of revulsion in her. During the days we spent as much time as we could by lounging in the graveyard above, just to get away from those creepy vampires? but that also meant taking risks, for the Shadow Thief assassins could strike at any moment. But otherwise, Jaheira would not have been able to endure this any longer, and even now she was as irate and prone to outbursts as I?ve ever seen her be.

And then there was the Yoshimo incident, still fresh on our minds, with all the memories it brought back. As a result we both suffered with sleep deprivation? Yoshimo?s death kept on replaying in my dreams over and over, making me abandon my vain attempts at sleeping, Jaheira feeling much the same. He had made a mistake by siding with an enemy and Jaheira?s gut reaction at his careless words earned him a swift death, but it also brought another tragedy upon our heads and unfortunately robbed us from our party?s master rogue.

Just because of that, we would have to endure being accompanied by Bodhi?s lackeys during our task this night. The one called Valen was rumoured to be a masterful thief, before her most likely involuntary joining of the ranks of vampires. And of course, we lacked a mage as well. Bodhi again had a solution for us ready? one of her recent converts had been a mage of at least mediocre skill. We were introduced with her already, down in the crypts, and the seemingly shy blonde vampire immediately attempted to bite Jaheira, but was quickly restrained. She regained her shyness after Bodhi had applied some forms of punishment on her, however.

But at least we won?t have to endure them for much longer? Bodhi had promised that the task to take out Aran Linvail, the leader of the Shadow Thieves, would be the last in the series of these taxing missions. Imoen would be returned to us after we have returned from the Shadow Thief Guildhall, carrying a proof of Linvail?s death. At least this perspective made our cooperation with Bodhi a bit more tolerable, and even Jaheira seemed more relaxed during our walks over the tiled footpaths of the graveyard.

With the arrival of the sunset, we descended back into the crypts where Viconia already awaited for us in our small quarters. She was the only one of us who actually seemed to enjoy working with Bodhi? there was something that they both shared, the way they enjoyed cruelly toying with the opponent before finishing it off, and the disturbing ease with which they faced danger, treating it as nothing else but a game.

Even now, before a daring attempt to break into a well defended Shadow Thief stronghold, Viconia was lazing around on the sofa. A bowl of fruits was placed on a little stand in front of her and slowly she plucked a few grapes from the cluster, and threw them in her mouth, not gracing our arrival with a word. At least she had held to our advice not to eat meat while staying at Bodhi?s place? as its source could not be identified, we had no desire to mistakenly eat a Shadow Thief schnitzel, after all.

?We have a visitor, little mongrels,? Viconia said suddenly. Jaheira and I were still busy with looking over our supplies and preparing for the job ahead of us, Viconia?s words startled us both. ?Here comes our benevolent hostess,? she elaborated, pointing at the doorway.

?Ahhh, I sense urgency about you this evening? it is so? enticing, to see all of you so motivated to this task,? Bodhi had arrived soundlessly, as always, accompanied by her two lackeys and our would-be temporary companions. ?I will await good news, then? and prepare the reward I don?t doubt you are eager to receive for these efforts,? the semi-naked vampire purred.

?It would be appreciated if we knew exactly what we would receive as a reward,? I interjected, ?After all, this is no mundane task you have set for us, Bodhi. We could well suffer losses and even may not return from it. And still, all we have heard until now is a bunch of promises.?

?And I am afraid that is how it will stay for now, Theodur. Consider this as the last test of your loyalty? after this, I will provide with all the information you seek,? a slight discontent crept into Bodhi?s voice.

?This is madness!? Jaheira exclaimed in annoyance, ?You ask us to break into a well defended dungeon, backed up by two? no, make it three companions that I distrust heavily-?

?Oh, you wound me, dear druid,? Viconia yawned, earning herself a glare from Jaheira.

?And you offer us nothing substantial in return!? Jaheira continued, choosing not to respond to Viconia, ?Promises? Everyone can make promises! And what of your link with this Irenicus, what of your interest in him? you still have not revealed us a thing about what you plan to achieve, besides indicating that ending this guild war is not your only priority!?

?Do not test my patience, nature?s warrior,? Bodhi snapped, ?You are in no position to make demands out of me. As I said, I will reveal this after you have disposed of Aran Linvail. Such is my final word in this.?

?Jaheira, I don?t like it any more than you do, but maybe?? I offered, trying to reason with her. The look she gave me, told me that my attempts would be wasted? anger, concern over my, our safety shone through. In such moments, her temper prevailed over her usual composure.

?Still, I demand-? she started, but Bodhi raised her hand in a threatening gesture.

?So, you demand that I share the secrets that I know of, brave half-elf? Is that what you truly wish?? Bodhi hissed menacingly.

?Yes, that is what I wish, vampire,? Jaheira replied tersely.

?And what of you, Theodur? do you wish to learn these secrets as well?? our hostess now turned towards me, a wicked grin exposing her sharp fangs.

?Of course I do? more information is always appreciated,? I said and nodded.

?Secrets? yes, secrets? oh, I do so love gathering and keeping them?? Bodhi?s smile just kept on growing wider, ?And when the time to reveal them is right, the reaction they cause can be so sweet to observe? ah, yes. The time may not be right for this particular secret? but I shall give you what you asked for, oh I will??

?Well, then get on with it, creature!? Jaheira snapped.

?Patience, patience? now, let me see. Yes, this secret concerns events that occurred late in the month of Ches? in a small camp near the road from Baldur?s Gate to Elturel,? Bodhi looked like she was now drooling from joy, probably noticing our reactions. My heart froze at her words. Jaheira was pale as chalk.

?What? what do you know of this?? Jaheira somehow managed in a very hoarse voice.

?Plenty, my dear? plenty,? Bodhi chuckled, ?But whatever went on at the campsite was not particularly interesting? two women, a young human and a slightly older half-elf were sleeping peacefully in their bedrolls. The most intriguing events went on a few hundred yards away from the camp.? Red circles started to spin before my eyes at her words, my temples filled with throbbing pain.

?You? you were there? you were one of them?? Jaheira mumbled incoherently, looking as stunned as I felt.

?No, I was not there. But, in a way, my eyes were there? and I was truly intrigued by the stories they told me?? Bodhi said, grinning at me, ?Always your father?s son, were you not, Theodur? you were so determined that the red-haired half-elf does not leave your fight alive??

Bodhi?s words hit me with full force, yet I remained on my feet, wobbling just slightly. The low, guttural scream coming from Jaheira?s direction, almost dropped me. I barely dared to turn my head towards her? and when I finally did, my breath was caught up and I was paralyzed. She looked just as few days ago, when Yoshimo?s words had tipped her over the edge? I did not recognize her any longer, there was no warmth, no passionate concern in her pale-blue eyes? only cold hatred and disdain.

And with that gauntleted hand, she could throw one mean punch. I made no effort to avoid it, allowing her to break my chin with a single, enraged swipe. I hit my head against something when falling down, and lost my consciousness quickly? I only managed to overhear Bodhi?s words? ?Do not let her kill him!? she shouted loudly before my world went black.

~***~

When I awoke again, I was very disappointed about the very fact of being able to do so. The room was empty, except for Viconia. She was lounging in the sofa as before, as if she would not have moved ? still, someone had healed me and it had been her. I looked around the room. I expected to see signs of battle? perhaps even her blood on the floor. Fortunately, the floor was clean and the room was in perfect order. I looked at Viconia and she grinned at me.

?She is dead, isn?t she?? I asked, my voice barely audible, ?If she turned her into one of the vampires? I will kill Bodhi, even if that?s the last thing I do.?

?Your concern is very touching, abbil, however it is completely pointless,? Viconia said, stretching her legs revealingly, ?Bodhi and her lackeys wrestled her away from killing you, but she could not be contained? she battled her way to the exit and ran off.?

Surely, she was lying. How could Jaheira possibly have gotten away? This den was full of vampires? she had to be lying.

I looked up to Viconia?s face again. She was bearing a victor?s smile. I could not figure out why? I guess as a Sharran she would enjoy watching my torment and hopelessness. She would not have a pleasure to watch it for too long, and I thought she must have known it as well. I would die very soon, but I was not sure if she would care one way or another. There was just one thing I had to be absolutely certain, before I die.

?Vic? please, tell the truth. This one time?? I wheezed, slowly rising up from the floor, ?Promise me??

?You can sometimes be so boring, abbil,? she sneered, ?But very well, I promise. By my faith in Shar, I promise to tell the truth.?

?Did she? Jaheira? did she really got away??

?I told you so, fool! Yes, it is the truth, she escaped!? Viconia snapped and glared at me with discontent.

So she escaped, I thought, but from what?

#7 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:12 AM

Another one-off story, this one is my attempt to write a story from Valygar's point of view and look through his eyes at his in-game violent conflict with Viconia.

~***~

The Ladies Man

The day was drawing to a close. Cool evening breeze blew into the willows, surrounding the Firecam estate, creating a melodic rustling sound that overwhelmed even the loud chirping of the grasshoppers.

Valygar breathed in the cool air of the evening. It had been a hard day for them all and he would have preferred to head back to the Five Flagons, but of course something just had to come up. Something always had to take precedence over his? no matter, he would not complain. After all, it was understandable that the newest addition to their little group of adventurers, paladin Keldorn, wanted his comrades to learn more about him. Never mind that only Erelon, the leader of this little party, and the druidess Jaheira seemed genuinely interested in getting to know Keldorn?s family. Valygar had decided to wait outside, in the green alley and enjoy the sights of the setting sun, he was in no mood for social visits right now.

If only they would get on with their little visit and be done with it quickly! But no, they had not even managed to get inside the mansion as of yet. The trio were interrogating a scared looking, young red-haired male, who apparently had been peeping through the windows of Keldorn?s estate. Bah! This questioning would take time, especially with someone like Jaheira around. Valygar smirked at this recognition and turned to slowly walk down to the opposite end of the alley.

It had been a good tenday since he had joined Erelon and his group. Good deeds were being done and he was pleased to have the opportunity to contribute. If only Erelon would finally have the time to go to the Sphere so he could have an opportunity to deal with his own ghosts from the past. Valygar glanced at the Governmental Building, looming nearby. He did not enjoy being so close to a place where those damnable Cowled Wizards gathered. At least Keldorn and his two companions had finally made it inside the estate, so perhaps they could leave this place soon.

Of course, he did not really blame Erelon for not going to the sphere yet. Cleansing Nalia?s keep from the trolls could not wait, and even with all haste they had been late? too late for Nalia?s father. Just on cue, Nalia?s blue mage robes flashed through the bushes momentarily as she was pacing the walkway adjacent to his, probably searching for targets to pickpocket. Valygar smirked and continued on his way. Saving the people of Trademeet from the Shadow Druids was a worthy cause indeed, he would never put his personal quest above a disaster that could have taken lives of many innocents. Besides, Jaheira insisted to go to Trademeet as soon as possible, and Erelon seemed to have a slight problem with refusing her a thing.

Valygar chuckled and shook his head. They were amusing people, these new friends of his. All except one. Valygar looked around, she was nowhere in sight. He breathed in more easily. Erelon, Jaheira and Nalia were pleasant enough to converse with, and paladin Keldorn seemed to be an amiable man as well. But he could not say the same about Viconia De Vir.

From the first day since his joining, he had to suffer endless taunts from the attractive drow priestess, and he was not the only one. Everyone was a target of her ire and insults, it had already been enough to drive one of their group to the brink of hysteria and forcing her to leave the group and return to a more peaceful life in the circus. Keldorn had been a member of their party for only a couple of days, and already he had been goaded to draw his sword against her twice, only intervention from Erelon and Jaheira sparing the life of the drow priestess. Their leader believed they could sort out their differences and eventually work together. Valygar held no such high hopes.

The alley he had been walking through came to an end and Valygar found himself into a small square with wooden benches surrounding it and a cluster of blooming jasmine bushes growing in the middle. At first glance it looked like the square was empty, alas, upon further examination one of those green objects, emanating strong, dizzying scent, was not a jasmine bush, but a woman, dressed in a garish, green dress.

?Ah! You are Lord Valygar Corthala, are you not?? unfortunately the woman had already noticed him, before he had a chance to discreetly disappear, ?I have seen you before,? she said in what she obviously believed to be a seductive voice, ?but we have never had the pleasure of meeting personally!?

?My family has no claim to a noble title anymore, my lady,? he found himself cornered and had to respond politely, ?as such, I am sure you would have no interest in someone such as I, especially with my family's reputation.?

?Nonsense, I'm always willing to make room for someone of your? physique,? Oh no. Now he recognised the class she belonged to. She obviously was one of those upper class whores, who earned their status by going through the beds of the influential men of this city. ?And piffle on your reputation, it's the man that counts? and you seem quite a man to me,? she finished, giving him a saucy smile.

?Unfortunately, I am too busy at the moment,? he muttered, thinking how foolish his refusal sounded. It was a rather too obvious lie, but nothing better came to mind at the moment. ?Perhaps? another time,? he added.

Then, a voice he had hoped not to hear anytime soon resounded from the shadows. ?Beware, noble one? it is my understanding that our ranger friend has no love for females,? Viconia De Vir said, coming closer to them, grinning broadly at his obvious discomfort.

Couldn?t she have picked a better moment to show up? Valygar cursed inwardly, feeling Viconia?s gauntleted hand coming to rest on his shoulder as the irritating drow took her place at his side, appearing to be fully enjoying herself.

?Oh, he may love ghouls, perhaps? but not females,? Viconia mused, raising her arm to pat him on the chest, slowly tracing a finger across his leather armor, ?Yes, I was rather considering colouring his leathers pink,? she added with a sharp laughter.

That implication simply was not true, but still it hit Valygar stronger than he expected it. Images of Suna in his arms, images long oppressed, resurfaced again to hit him squarely on the chin. The tangle of resentment in his chest grew and the anger was starting to build up quickly. His hands twitched as he pushed the laughing drow aside.

?Shut up, Viconia!? he barked, ?Just? just shut up!? But the drow only looked amused and smug from being able to hit the target with such precision.

?Do it! Show me, Valygar, that you are indeed a man!? she spat in his face, ?Show me that you have what it takes to hold a female's attention!?

This he found almost more than he could stand. He had loved a woman before, loved passionately, loved with all his heart. And he had to let go of her, they had to break apart, before the curse that had befallen his family, affected her. It still hurt to remember, he had not forgotten a thing? not forgotten how hard it was to explain his decision to her, the decision that made them both miserable. But this? drow did not realise the sacrifices he had to take. Instead, she chose to mock him for what was the tragedy of his life.

The tangle in his chest threatened to burst through, the anger flew through his veins, he could feel his own throbbing heart. His hands moved closer to the hilts of his twin katanas, the whore gave a high-pitched squeal and ran down the alley and out of sight. Viconia merely continued to grin, even as she reached for her mace.

Yes, she had insulted him. She had found his week spot and now he would have no respite from her taunts. But what galled him most was that she had reduced the tragedy of his family, the ruined lives of his many ancestors and? and the deaths of his parents? she reduced all this to something so vulgar and base as his primal instincts, his sexuality. She belittled and insulted everything he had done to try and contain this terrible curse, she insulted his efforts and sacrifices, she laughed about his life, laughed and spat in his face? and she enjoyed it!

From the moment the overwhelming rage hit him, he could only remember drawing his katanas, the rest was a blur. He recognised someone calling his name, frantically. He opened his eyes to find himself still standing, looking in Nalia?s concerned eyes.

?Valygar! Valygar, snap out of it!? and before he could stop her, Nalia gave him a hard slap on the face.

?What? happened, Nalia?? he asked hoarsely.

?You fought with Viconia, Valygar! You? you almost killed her!? Nalia shouted.

?I? I remember now? she?s alive then? good,? he was still panting, but the anger? the anger was gone.

?You would have killed her, if I hadn?t stopped you,? Nalia looked at him, ?Not that I would blame you? I heard what she said to you and? and??

?I know, Nalia. I know,? Valygar smiled grimly, ?What spell is that?? he asked, looking where Viconia?s still body lay, surrounded by a glittering sphere of bright light.

?That? Oh? it?s called resilient sphere? you can?t harm anyone inside, and the one inside can?t harm those outside. Isn?t that neat, huh??

?Yes? yes, real neat,? Valygar sighed, ?Could you run to Keldorn?s estate and retrieve at least Erelon and Jaheira?? he asked. Nalia complied immediately, setting off to run down the alley.

Valygar looked on as she entered the house, then let out a huge sigh of relief. His tired fingers let go of the twin katanas and they tumbled down on the floor. He suddenly felt very exhausted? so exhausted that he could not even stand. He dropped on his knees, looking at Viconia's body in front of him. She was moving, still alive. Voices coming from the estate caused him to cease the staring.

?What is wrong Lady Nalia? I was just about to introduce our friends to Lady Maria,? he recognised Keldorn?s voice, he was leading the chase back to him and Viconia.

?By Torm! Valygar, what happened here?? Keldorn was the first to react as they arrived in the square. Valygar suddenly felt even more tired, too tired to explain. He leaned back to lie on his back and stared at the green leafage and the darkening sky above. At least those were calming.

~***~

A few hours later in the Five Flagons Inn.

Valygar yawned. Everyone had shown agreement to listen to his and Nalia?s explanation in the morning. Everyone, but Jaheira. And that was the reason why they all were still awake, well past midnight. Well, except Nalia who had escaped Jaheira?s notice and had managed to fall asleep, resting her head on the table and Valygar was now dying from envy, listening to her soft snores.

At least Erelon, Jaheira and Keldorn had found Viconia the guilty party after hearing the tales. The drow was healed by Jaheira, given some basic equipment and a little money, then asked to remove herself from their presence.

Now the triumvirate of power were discussing where to acquire services of another healer. Valygar rolled his eyes, refusing to understand why his presence was required at the table. It was obvious that the decision making was in the hands of Erelon, Jaheira or Keldorn.

The candidature of the little elven girl came up once again. Valygar snorted. No, she would not enjoy travelling with them, even with Viconia now gone. Not with those little games of innuendo going on between Erelon and Jaheira? something they both were quick to deny, but Valygar was sure he was reading the signs of attraction correctly.

?Well, then how about that young Helmite we met in the Copper Coronet?? Erelon asked, barely awake himself.

?Do you mean squire Anomen? Aye, he?s a fine lad. I suggest we give him a chance, Lady Jaheira,? Keldorn said.

?Well? I suppose we have no choice,? the druidess shrugged, looking a little tired herself, ?But let us hope he carries less emotional luggage than the avariel.?

Keldorn coughed loudly.

#8 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:00 AM

Well, time to add another short story for your reading pleasure. This was written as a response to The Attic quiz called "True Love"... and in particularly, as an answer to a challenge to write a... shall we say, surprising romantic pairing of two game NPC's - while still making it look credible. Well, this was my attempt to top Edwin-Dynaheir pairing. :D

Happy guessing at who these two NPC's are. Should not be too hard. ;)

~***~

Love is in the strangest places

The crickets were particularly loud this evening, loud enough to completely subdue the sounds coming from the common room of the inn below. She was standing on the large balcony with her hands resting against the railing, calmly overlooking the small bonsai garden in front of the guest-house. Nature was not allowed to take its course when setting up this little garden, but seeing and drinking in its serene beauty, made her forget this little fact. Nature was so different here? yet, regardless of where she was, she knew she could always find peace in its calming presence.

She jerked a little at the sudden sound of the creaking floorboard behind her back. Then a broad grin settled on her face, as she continued to look from the balcony. His attempts to step without making any noise always amused her. Never mind that he was a man of extremely large proportions, he was also constantly forgetting about her refined elven senses that always alerted her of his presence.

She pretended not to notice him, as she always did, only until his arm landed upon her shoulder. She recoiled a little, instinctively, but he pulled her back. She did not resist.

?Kara-Tur is? always beautiful in this time of year,? he started, hesitantly.

?You speak as though you have visited this land before,? she replied, grinning in the dark, mostly about his hesitancy that seemed so unbecoming to the man usually as decisive as he.

?I did not have to,? he said with a hint of weariness in his voice, ?She used to tell me about her homeland. She was a gifted storyteller? I see it now. Everything is? like she had described it.?

?There are things of great beauty in this land, I will admit that,? she nodded, ?It will be almost? a pity to leave it behind.?

?Yes. After my duty here is done, we will be free to leave again. Her ashes will be buried tomorrow,? he said slowly, ?And also our little agreement would have expired. But? I would prefer if we would leave together.?

?Yes, I remember that agreement. You never told me before that you plan to bury her ashes in Kara-Tur. Is it so surprising that I attempted to terminate said agreement prematurely, by caving in your skull?? she asked, mirth in her voice.

?They said that you never break your promises. I am glad that it proved to be the truth,? he said, pulling her closer in response, ?But it is strange how it all turned out, isn?t it??

?I never did plan for it to happen, and neither did you. Was it a touch of fate that made us travelling companions, back then? after Melissan was defeated? Who can say??

?You were heading for Athkatla, my path led back to the Gate, we both were led by the same goal? to bury our loved ones, to show them our last respects. Looking back, it is easy to see how we found something in common.?

?I suppose it is as you say. Though? I must say, part of why agreed to travel with you was because I was not yet fully convinced that you had well and truly broken the ties with your evil heritage. But you knew this already,? she said, sliding out of his embrace and stepping a little distance away.

?Yes, you wanted to keep an eye on me, always the suspicious one. True, you had the most reasons to hate me, I gave you plenty of those,? he said, lowering his gaze.

?You have changed. I know this now and I trust you fully? after all of this, how could I not? What reason would you have for using me, if such were the truth? I believe you, for I have seen the change happening before me, I witnessed it with my own eyes. They do not deceive me,? she spoke heatedly, stepping closer again and he smiled nervously, turning to face her again.

?There were times when I thought you would never recognise the change in me. I thought that you would end up hating me endlessly. There must have been something? some special moment that made you rethink,? he said quietly, taking her hands in his, wondering how small they felt in what he hoped was a tender grasp.

?There was,? she admitted, looking up in his eyes, ?When you spoke of her. Your eyes? there was so much I saw there that I had not seen before? the passion, the devotion? the complete and utter trust? it? it moved me.?

?I saw the same when you talked about him. It was then that I looked upon you with? different eyes, if you will. Something had happened, and I saw you in a completely new light. I was surprised and not entirely comfortable at first? but I am glad that I gathered the courage to ask you to travel with me to the Gate. And that you agreed.?

?I remember how your question stunned me then. I was still standing at his grave as you posed it?? now was her turn to look away as her eyes turned misty for a moment, ?How I spent the next days, even months, wondering about what were my true reasons to agree to stay with you. I came up with some fairly ridiculous excuses to justify it in my own eyes.?

?It is good to see that you no longer try to deceive yourself about how we both feel,? he said, making her smile again and then boldly pulled her closely into a kiss that lasted for a long while. As they parted, the clouds did so as well and the balcony was suddenly lit up in the moonlight.

?If I was a bard, right now I would feel inspired to write you a horribly romantic love poem,? he said with a grin, looking at how the moonlight played on the surface of the small pond in front of the guest-house.

?And if I were an innocent wide-eyed maiden, I would be impressed beyond words by your efforts,? she responded with a wink.

?Fortunately, I am no bard,? he laughed quietly.

?And? would you wish that I were an innocent wide-eyed maiden?? she said, fixing him with an amused look.

He remained silent. Still, the smile on his face? it held all the answers.