• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

Welcome to Edwin Romance mod forum! The mod was in the work for some time but we finally decided to come out in the open with it! You are welcome to express your opinion on the project in this new forum.

Just to give you a taste of the Romance here is a quote from one of Edwin's possible new epilogues:

"It was during this uncharacteristically soul-searching period of his life that Edwin encountered Elminster the Sage once more. Having always despised the elderly wizard's smug and condescending attitude, Edwin spared no time in aggravating him. Innocent bystanders later quoted him as having said: 'Well, at least *I* gained my powers through the efforts of my unsurpassed mind, and not through being the pleasure-boy of the Goddess of Magic. (And I hear he was quite unsatisfactory as well. Probably that ridiculous hat is some crude form of compensation.)'

Elminster's retaliation would no doubt have been both cruel and sadistic, if he had had the time to get a spell off. What he hadn't counted on was Edwin's use of a spell trigger, and not just any old spell trigger, but the most rare and feared summoning spell of all, the dreaded Cow Kill.

It seems that not even the pampered Chosen of Mystra are entirely immune to the effects of having a very large cow dropped on top of their head from a very great height. Though it failed to kill him, it knocked Elminster out cold for several days, and he never could look upon a cow again without twitching nervously. Before leaving, Edwin is also said to have done something incredibly nasty involving Elminster's famous pointy hat. The details are perhaps better left unspoken, though since then Elminster seems to have exchanged his once favorite headgear for a soft and floppy woolen cap. "

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#2 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:12 AM

I'm looking forward to this mod as Edwin is one of my favorite NPCs (his arrival in Hell line is one of my all time favs). However, the Cow Kill part of this epilogue seems a bit over the top to me. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see Edwin getting some sort of embarassing revenge on Elminster, but Cow Kill just seems too silly even for Edwin.

#3 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:44 AM

I'm looking forward to this mod as Edwin is one of my favorite NPCs (his arrival in Hell line is one of my all time favs).  However, the Cow Kill part of this epilogue seems a bit over the top to me.  Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see Edwin getting some sort of embarassing revenge on Elminster, but Cow Kill just seems too silly even for Edwin.

Well, I guess I felt the need for it after the way the original game epilogue treated him. :) Not to worry though, the mod as a whole will have some silliness, but also plenty of serious and even angsty stuff. Hopefully you'll find the mix as a whole more or less balanced.

#4 foogla

foogla
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:58 AM

Imho you should also give Edwin the chance to become zulkir of Conjuration in Thay (and not just for a day, but forever). He usually is more powerfull than Szass Tam after TOB, so why should he not be able to gain that status permanently?

Also good luck with the mod, Edwin is my favorite NPC. :)

#5 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:39 AM

Imho you should also give Edwin the chance to become zulkir of Conjuration in Thay (and not just for a day, but forever). He usually is more powerfull than Szass Tam after TOB, so why should he not be able to gain that status permanently?

Actually, all the new three epilogues will have Edwin winding up not just powerful but happy, even *more* powerful than a mere Zulkir. :)

And thank you for your kind and encouraging words, they're much appreciated! :D I hope you will enjoy the mod when it's done.

#6 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:26 AM

"However, the Cow Kill part of this epilogue seems a bit over the top to me. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see Edwin getting some sort of embarassing revenge on Elminster, but Cow Kill just seems too silly even for Edwin. "

wtf....

cow kill is in the game, as part of the original bioware install.....

just clua in "scrlzz" and you can add the summon cow spell to your mages.....

it drops a cow with graphics on enemies...damned useful spell, just like the ring of ram...

i once unloaded about 20 via impr acuity and spell sequencers and chain contingency on firky...he died....
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#7 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 06:08 AM

Just because Bioware put it in the game doesn't mean it isn't silly.

#8 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:48 AM

Just because Bioware put it in the game doesn't mean it isn't silly.

Well, this wasn't the entire epilogue, just part of the non-romance one, and hopefully you'll like the other parts better. :) And silly or not, at least there will be *no* 'Edwina The Bar Maid'. :)

#9 Hunter

Hunter
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:21 AM

Welcome to Edwin Romance mod forum! The mod was in the work for some time but we finally decided to come out in the open with it! You are welcome to express your opinion on the project in this new forum.

Just to give you a taste of the Romance here is a quote from one of Edwin's possible new epilogues:

"It was during this uncharacteristically soul-searching period of his life that Edwin encountered Elminster the Sage once more. Having always despised the elderly wizard's smug and condescending attitude, Edwin spared no time in aggravating him. Innocent bystanders later quoted him as having said: 'Well, at least *I* gained my powers through the efforts of my unsurpassed mind, and not through being the pleasure-boy of the Goddess of Magic. (And I hear he was quite unsatisfactory as well. Probably that ridiculous hat is some crude form of compensation.)'

Elminster's retaliation would no doubt have been both cruel and sadistic, if he had had the time to get a spell off. What he hadn't counted on was Edwin's use of a spell trigger, and not just any old spell trigger, but the most rare and feared summoning spell of all, the dreaded Cow Kill.

It seems that not even the pampered Chosen of Mystra are entirely immune to the effects of having a very large cow dropped on top of their head from a very great height. Though it failed to kill him, it knocked Elminster out cold for several days, and he never could look upon a cow again without twitching nervously. Before leaving, Edwin is also said to have done something incredibly nasty involving Elminster's famous pointy hat. The details are perhaps better left unspoken, though since then Elminster seems to have exchanged his once favorite headgear for a soft and floppy woolen cap. "

Sounds interesting, it's about time that some form of mod about edwin was made.

However i think that the epiloque is just a little too silly. "cow kill" Naah it dosn't sound right to me. How about just having him kick elminsters ass in a straight magic duel and afterwards forcing elminster to concede defeat. (and ofcourse he (edwin) would brag about that for the next millenia.)

Hunter

#10 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:17 PM

Sounds interesting, it's about time that some form of mod about edwin was made.

However i think that the epiloque is just a little too silly. "cow kill" Naah it dosn't sound right to me. How about just having him kick elminsters ass in a straight magic duel and afterwards forcing elminster to concede defeat. (and ofcourse he (edwin) would brag about that for the next millenia.)

Hunter

Like I said, this is only part of one of the three epilogues, not the entire thing. I will not rewrite them at this point. However, I assure you that Edwin *will* get to rise to true power, and get his chance to brag. Let's see what you think once you've played the mod through, and I hope you will enjoy it.

#11 Hunter

Hunter
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:20 PM

[quote name='Laufey' date='Jan 8 2003, 10:17 PM']
Hunter[/QUOTE]
Like I said, this is only part of one of the three epilogues, not the entire thing. I will not rewrite them at this point. However, I assure you that Edwin *will* get to rise to true power, and get his chance to brag. Let's see what you think once you've played the mod through, and I hope you will enjoy it.

[/quote]
Any idea when the mod will come out? if you need beta-readers i'm game.

Hunter

#12 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:43 PM

[quote name='Hunter' date='Jan 9 2003, 09:20 AM']
[/QUOTE]

Hunter[/QUOTE]

Well, it's entirely written, and the new items are all made, as is the new romance music and parts of the voice acting. Programming is underway, but you'd have to ask Dorotea for details about exactly how far along we are there, she's our lead programmer.

And once it's done, we'll certainly need beta players, thanks for offering. :)

#13 -Blue meanie-

-Blue meanie-

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:40 PM

Actually, all the new three epilogues will have Edwin winding up not just powerful but happy, even *more* powerful than a mere Zulkir. :)

And thank you for your kind and encouraging words, they're much appreciated! :D I hope you will enjoy the mod when it's done.

eh..Cow Kill doesn't sound to good, I remember one where Elminster got turned into a monkey and Edwin stole his hat :D

#14 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:49 PM

eh..Cow Kill doesn't sound to good, I remember one where Elminster got turned into a monkey and Edwin stole his hat :D

*grin* That was part of it, yes. Elminster suffers in all three epilogues, and Edwin is happy in all three epilogues.

As for Cow Kill, that is only part of the non-romance epilogue, which actually ends up with Edwin in a very prominent and satisfying position, one for which I think he is eminently suitable. :)

#15 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 05:52 PM

It took me 3 month to code and test Redemption, it was about 1/4 size of the Edwin Romance in coding etc. But I do have a lot of material done, though in the older version of WEIDU and it needs re-writing. I cannot tell anything definite about the first beta release, only that it is months away.
:( What we really need now is not a tester but a good Weidu wizard, since I am very busy in RL. But do not fear, we shall overcome! :lol:

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#16 -Sulik-

-Sulik-

Posted 25 January 2003 - 06:35 PM

What can I say?, but this promises to be a truly amusing mod with one of the most deliciously sarcastic and arrogant npc's, GREAT WORK!.

May even reinstall BG2 and let Morrowind rest for a while..heh heh.

Seriously good work. :lol:

#17 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 08:53 PM

What can I say?, but this promises to be a truly amusing mod with one of the most deliciously sarcastic and arrogant npc's, GREAT WORK!.

May even reinstall BG2 and let Morrowind rest for a while..heh heh.

Seriously good work. :lol:

Thank you very much for your kind words. :D I hope you will find the mod an enjoyable play when it's done, and I know the programmers are working hard to bring it to you.

#18 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 02:25 AM

Edwin is my idol. And I hate ELMINSTER!!! I wouldn't mind if ther would be a chance to humiliate him, because kicking his ass is not enough!!!

Edited by Kwiat_W, 07 July 2009 - 12:36 AM.

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#19 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 09:08 AM

Edwin is my idol. And I hate ELMINSTER!!! I wouldn't mind if ther would be a chance to humiliate him, because kicking his ass is not enough!!! (sory for my english- I am Pole)

I hope you will be very satisfied then, for Elminster will certainly get to suffer in all the epilogues I have written for the mod, even the non-romance one. :)

#20 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 04:16 PM

spoilers

laufrey, i spent a very enjoyable 5 hours reading the entire thayvan(?) tales in the web site last night...

may i hope that the edwin mod is based on those extremely enjoyable short stories???

i REALLY really like his tutor...obviously his real.....(you know) and may i please hope that poppy will appear in the mod??? she rocks...

and the stories imply why edwin killed dynahir, minsc's witch, and why in his mind it was justified...

i really really like that tutor, and i can guess his death??? will profoundly impact young edwin's life, and shape his personality...

are you planning to write some more????

i hope you do, even if it spoils parts of the upcoming mod...

YOU ROCK!!!
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...