Overpowered Items

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:06 AM

Is it just me or do more people think that many of the items added by dsotsc and nsotsc are ridiculously overpowered for bg1?

Items that springs to mind (correct me if any of these are not dsotsc or nsotsc):

1. Girdle of Frostgiant strength (a fighter with +4 to hit and +9 damage in Bg1 isn't exactly balanced)

2. Deceiver's Bane (I know it's bard only, but seriously... +5 thac0, +2 dex, +3Ac and +1 attack? This is easily the most powerful weapon in both bg1 and 2...)

3. Dragon skin bracers (Bracers with ac 2? Mages aren't supposed to have fighter AC)

4. Stormcloud "Krakens Bane" (Studded leather +7, +3 S.t. and 64% acid res? It doesn't even work as described, it's +9 ac + an additional +5 missile in my game. Watch out for the druid tank...)

5. Scimitar +3 "Yarrow's Tears" (+2ac and stun target unless save vs spell? Even Drizzt's scimitars aren't this powerfull.)

6. Chainmail of the firewine (Elven chainmail with ac 1 + 30% electric resistance to boot? You wouldn't normaly get anything close to this until TOB.)

7. Gift of the woods (Bracers with ac2 +1 additional attack? Wouldn't the extra attack be enough?)

8. Ring of fire shielding (Ac +4, immunity to fire and non-magical weapons? Seriously, in my next game all my characters will be druids!)

9. Chitiruhkha - Warlock's Staff +4 (+6d6! electrical damage, ac +2 and lightning bolt three times a day? Insane! 6d6 electrical damage is the same damage a lv6 fireball does!)

10. Short Bow of Streaming Energy (+3 thac0 and damage, 55% chance to inflict additional 2D3 fire damages, +1 attack, +1 constitution and Fire/Cold Resistance bonus: 30%? A bit over the top I think!)

I know magic items is fun, but these doesn't exactly help game balance, and as any good DM knows: Ration out magic items! Too many of them spoil the game.

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:13 AM

Is it just me or do more people think that many of the items added by dsotsc and nsotsc are ridiculously overpowered for bg1?

no, it's not just you; yes, they are ridiculously overpowered.

that said, none of us here had anything to do with actually making DSotSC - it was originally made by the TeamBG crew way back in the day. the only thing anyone here (ie, SirBillyBob) has had to do with this mod is converting it to weidu - it hasn't been edited/ fixed/ rebalanced in any way, shape or form. and the reason for this is cos none of us are the authors, so we don't actually have the permission to edit or rebalance it.

so yes, it's hideously unbalanced. the thing is, there's a really simple solution: just dont equip those weapons.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:23 AM

so yes, it's hideously unbalanced. the thing is, there's a really simple solution: just dont equip those weapons.

I tend to tone these items down myself with dltcep as I go, but it would be nice to have the option to install toned down versions of these items during installation. Couldn't you add an option during installation to install rebalanced versions of these items, which says something like "Rebalanced items. These items are not part of the original Dsotsc, yada yada yada..."? Or, alternatively upload a standalone pack of rebalanced items? It shouldn't be too much hassle to rebalance them, I could do it myself if there were any interest for it...

#4 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

I don't think we should change the mod. I think it would be alright for someone to make a mod to be installed after DSotSC that mods DSotSC. That way the author orginal would not be changed, but players can add other mods to it.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

I don't think we should change the mod. I think it would be alright for someone to make a mod to be installed after DSotSC that mods DSotSC. That way the author orginal would not be changed, but players can add other mods to it.

Like a standalone rebalancing mod, specially made for bp-bgt...

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

I tend to tone these items down myself with dltcep as I go, but it would be nice to have the option to install toned down versions of these items during installation. Couldn't you add an option during installation to install rebalanced versions of these items, which says something like "Rebalanced items. These items are not part of the original Dsotsc, yada yada yada..."?

Yes. I'm handling this in another mod I'm updating (for which I'm not the author but have the author's permission) the very way you suggest. The mod adds a bunch of potentially unbalancing items to the game (including, ironically, a number of the DSotSC items), so I give the player the option:
Install items:
1. Original items
2. Nerfed items
That way if the author or anyone else objects to the original content being messed with, it's still there. But it also makes the mod more enjoyable to those who want to play with some balance and without ignoring everything added by the mod.

It shouldn't be too much hassle to rebalance them, I could do it myself if there were any interest for it...

That would be great. Or at least post the values of what you think is reasonable for the items. Ultimately I'd like to see a combined DSotSC that is triple platform compatible (BG1, BGT, Tutu) and contains all the TeamBG, Chosen of Mystra and SHS changes, as well as make it more balanced (Ascension64 and I have been talking about this). That may be a lot of work, but nerfing the items will go a long way toward accomplishing it.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

[quote]It shouldn't be too much hassle to rebalance them, I could do it myself if there were any interest for it...[/quote]That would be great. Or at least post the values of what you think is reasonable for the items. Ultimately I'd like to see a combined DSotSC that is triple platform compatible (BG1, BGT, Tutu) and contains all the TeamBG, Chosen of Mystra and SHS changes, as well as make it more balanced (Ascension64 and I have been talking about this). That may be a lot of work, but nerfing the items will go a long way toward accomplishing it.
[/quote]

Ok, I will have a look at it and post suggestions for rebalanced values.
Stay tuned...

#8 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Here we go, in alphabetical order...
I will post the relevant item description from dltcep of both original and my own rebalanced version.
Use them as you wish Miloch.

dsamul03

Original:
Special: 
  Double all 1, 2, and 3rd level priest spells
  +1 on all saves

My Version:
Special: 
  One extra 1, 2, 3 and 4th level priest spells
  +1 on all saves

Kind of like the ring of holiness. Not as insane as before, but still very good.

dsamul07

Original:
You are a very lucky adventurer indeed.  This Bluestone Necklace increases your Dexterity and gives you a +3 THAC0 bonus!  Just don't let it fall into the wrong hands.....  

Special:  
  +3 Dexterity Bonus and +3 THAC0 while wearing

My Version:
You are a very lucky adventurer indeed.  This Bluestone Necklace increases your Dexterity and gives you a +1 THAC0 bonus!  Just don't let it fall into the wrong hands.....  

Special:  
  +2 Dexterity Bonus and +1 THAC0 while wearing

Just a general down tuning.

dsamul08

This one I'm not quite sure about. Says that wizardslayers are the only ones not able to use it. Would it then give the +1 lvl1 priest spell to non-priests? Should be restricted to Cleric, Druid and ranger, single, dual and multi-classes if it does.

dsarrow1

Original:
This arrow will kill any minor dragon or wyvern outright, does extra damage larger dragons and wyrms and has a greater chance of slaying one of the greatest threats to elven forest, the Green or Forest Dragon.

STATISTICS:

Damage:  1D6 
Damage type:  missile (piercing) 

Special:  
  Slay Minor Dragons and Wyvern upon contact
  +3 Damage/+3 To Hit all Dragons
  10% chance to slay all Dragons

My Version:
This arrow will inflict extra damage on any dragon or wyvern.

STATISTICS:

Damage:  1D6 
Damage type:  missile (piercing) 

Special:  
  +3 Damage/+3 To Hit all Dragons

Ability to instantly slay Dragons is just stupid! I wanted to make this arrow able to penetrate any magical protection a Dragon might have, but I wouldn't know how to code it right...

dsbelt01

Seems to have haste as an equipping effect. Should be changed to a charged effect.

Original:
STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus:  
  +3 vs. piercing and missile weapons
Special: Haste

My version:
STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus:  
  +3 vs. piercing and missile weapons
Special: Haste (3 charges)

Not sure if I got the coding right. Just added 3 charges and made it rechargeable.

dsbook01

Original:
This tome contains within the finely leather bound cover, the magical runes and notes of the great mage Grun'lerthkin. Grun'lerthkin was a resident of Myth Drannor during its peak. As you read the magical scribbles and notes you begin to become more knowledgeable and somehow feel that you have the abilities of a mage of twice your level.

STATISTICS: 

Doubles all experience points upon reading

My version:
This tome contains within the finely leather bound cover, the magical runes and notes of the great mage Grun'lerthkin. Grun'lerthkin was a resident of Myth Drannor during its peak. As you read the magical scribbles and notes you become more knowledgeable.

STATISTICS: 

Adds 10000 exp upon reading

I don't like these kind of items at all! Seriously toned this one down...

dsbrac01

Original:
Even the most powerful of sages can at times find themselves unprepared for a battle and without the magic to defeat an opponent.  It was for just these times that Sharga commissioned these gloves to be made.  They provide a practitioner of magic with a little extra help when the fight degenerates to direct combat.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 0

Special:
  Increased Attacks
  Increased Saving Throws
  +25% to Magic Resistance

My version:
Even the most powerful of sages can at times find themselves unprepared for a battle and without the magic to defeat an opponent.  It was for just these times that Sharga commissioned these gloves to be made.  They provide a practitioner of magic with a little extra help when the fight degenerates to direct combat, unfortunately they prevent spells from being cast and must be removed by magical means.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 2

Special:
  Increased Attacks
  Increased Saving Throws
  +25% to Magic Resistance

Added 100% chance to miscast magic, and made it cursed.

dsbrac02

My version:
STATISTICS:

Special: 
  Increased Attacks
  Increased Resistance to Petrification

Original had +2ac, which I removed.

dsbrac04

Original:
STATISTICS: 

THAC0:   +3 bonus 
Damage:  +3 bonus

My version:
STATISTICS: 

THAC0:   +2 bonus 
Damage:  +2 bonus
Increased attacks

I slightly altered it, because in bg1 clerics would be quite useless as fighters, with just one lousy attack per round. Added 1 extra attack.

dsclck04[/i]

Just changed this from +3 to +2ac.

dscoswd

Original:
STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D10 + 4 (+3 vs All Dragons)
THAC0:  +4 (+3 vs All Dragons)
Special:
  AC Bonus +1
  Has a slight chance of slaying any dragon on contact
  50% Resistance to Fire and Acid
  Provides an Aura of Protection
  +2 Bonus to Save vs. Breath Weapons

My version:
STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D10 + 4 (+3 vs All Dragons)
THAC0:  +4 (+3 vs All Dragons)
Special:
  AC Bonus +1
  50% Resistance to Fire and Acid
  Provides an Aura of Protection
  +2 Bonus to Save vs. Breath Weapons

I still think that instant dragon slaying is a bad idea.

dscuswd

Changed it to +3 and removed undescribed ac bonus and bless effect.

dsdrgskn

Changed base ac to 4.

dsebplat

My version:
Not Usable By:
 Bard
 Druid
 Mage
 Thief
 Monk
 Archer
 Stalker
 Barbarian
 Beast Master
 Kensai
 Shapeshifter

Made it unusable by restricting kits.

dshamm02

Changed it's damage from 3d6+1 to 2d6+1

dskorim

Original:
Forged by the Netherese sorcerer/ranger Korim, this green tinged splint mail is imbued with strong enchantments. The strange metal (a copper and uranium mix) is light and supple, yet nearly impervious to blows of any kind. The mail allowed Korim to use his abilities to their fullest. Moreover, the strange metal has proven to have an extraordinary side-effect - it heals the wearer.  

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 0
Special:  
  Regeneration 1HP every 2 rounds
  Mage Skills Unimpaired

My version:
Forged by the Netherese sorcerer/ranger Korim, this green tinged splint mail is imbued with strong enchantments. The strange metal (a copper and uranium mix) is light and supple, yet very resistant to blows of any kind. The mail allowed Korim to use his abilities to their fullest. Moreover, the strange metal has proven to have an extraordinary side-effect - it heals the wearer.  

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 5
Special:  
  Regeneration 1HP every 2 rounds
  Mage Skills Unimpaired

Mage armors seriously shouldn't give this good ac.

dsrngfsh

Changed ac bonus from +4 to +2 and removed protection from non magical weapons.

dsrobe03

Original:
This powerful Mage Robe offers protection from all forms of physical attack while at the same time increasing one's magical resistance. Due to the nature of its enchantment, it can only be removed by remove curse.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class:  3
Magic Resistance: +50%
Special:  
  Immune to 1st, 2nd & 3rd level spells
  +4 to 1st, 2nd & 3rd level spells
  Sets Intelligence and Wisdom to 19
  Increased spell casting speed
  Immune to all non-magical weapons

Weight:  6

Usable by:
 All

I'm open to suggestions on this one. Should maybe restrict it to mage classes and give it some serious drawbacks to balance it's outrageous bonuses...? Personally I changed dsmortus.cre so that he wouldn't drop it at all.

dsrobe05

Original:
STATISTICS: 

Armor Class: 3 
Special: 
  Raises Intelligence by 2
  Memorize one extra spell per level up to level 9
  +6 Save vs. Breath Weapon
  +75% to Fire Resistance
  Non-Detection

This robe is also seriously overpowered, but I didn't change it as it disintegrates and is used by several creatures ingame. Should perhaps disintegrate as soon as it's hit by sunlight...?

dsrobe06

STATISTICS:

Armor Class:  +5 Bonus
Magic Resistance: +25%
Saving Throw:  +5 bonus 
Bonus Spells: +3(Lv 1-5)
			  +1(Lv 6-8) 
Constitution: -30% 
Special: Never Need Sleep

Does anybody seriously want to imagine a Neversleeping-ubergod-Edwin? I leave this one to you guys though...

dsswd07

Original:
STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 + 1
THAC0:  +5 bonus
Special:
   Dexterity bonus +2
   AC bonus +3
   1 extra attacks per round

My version:
STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 + 1
THAC0:  +2 bonus
Special:
   Dexterity bonus +2
   AC bonus +1
   1 extra attacks per round

dstears

Original:
STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 + 3
THAC0:  +3 bonus
Special:
  Ac +2
  Cast Charm Person or Mammal 3 times per day
  Stun target unless save vs. Spell

My version:
STATISTICS:

THAC0:  +3 bonus
Special:
  Cast Charm Person or Mammal 3 times per day
  Stun target unless save vs. Spell at +4

Removed ac bonus and made it harder for the stun target to take effect.

dswrkarm

This one is coded wrong to begin with. Toned my version down to base ac 4.

DSWRLSTF

My version:
This staff is of the Chanah'Rea, forged by lightning striking the tree of power, Chitiruhkha is possessed of lightning.

STATISTICS:

THAC0:  +3
Special:
  casts "Lightning Bolt" 1 time per day

Changed it to +3, removed ac bonus, removed +6d6 Electrical damage and reduced "Lightning Bolt" charges to 1 per day.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

Good stuff, Draco. Those changes are certainly more reasonable. Keeping in mind this mod takes place in the BG1 section (or between BG1 and BG2) I'd even nerf some of them further, like reducing all the Dex bonuses to +1 (also considering there are multiple items with this bonus and you could probably stack them). Also anything +4 is pretty high considering the best TotSC items are +3 and even those are pretty rare. There are some other items that could be nerfed too, like the staff Nemmerle's Revenge and the Strength Long Bow +3, Vibradeath. But this is definitely a good start. I'll check some of the items in more detail once I'm done nerfing the items in the mods I'm working on now. :)

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:34 AM

I went through all the items of dsotsc, and these seemed to be the ones most in need of rebalancing. Keep in mind that I have not taken gameplay into consideration, so some of these items might be justifiable if you have to go through hell and back to get them. Neither have I considered that most of these items might be used by hostile npc's, and toning them down might change game difficulty in favor of the pc. This especially concerns dsrobe03 and dsrobe05. If I understood it correctly Mortus should be a big boss, so removing the overgodly dsrobe03 might make him too easy.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

If I understood it correctly Mortus should be a big boss, so removing the overgodly dsrobe03 might make him too easy.

Possibly. But that could be handled better by beefing up his stats. Or you could keep the robe on him and just flag it undroppable so the PC can't get it (and maybe have a nerfed version in his inventory also).

#12 --Draco--

--Draco--

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Or you could keep the robe on him and just flag it undroppable so the PC can't get it (and maybe have a nerfed version in his inventory also).

That might be the best solution...
I'll leave the nerfing of that one to you though, I just made sure I would never get it in my own game. With all the other mods I have installed there are way too many magical items in the sword coast already... :(

#13 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

All that could be included in DSotSC as an optional component...

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#14 Red Carnelian

Red Carnelian
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

Most of the items in the list above were toned down for the BG1 version at COM. I cross checked all the items added and almost a third of the items that were added originally were not used. These were removed. You'll find it a lot easier to take a look at the items for that MOD before you embark on work for this version which still seems to have balance issues. I created a database of item and spell changes due to the volume of editing needed. There are 555 Dark Side items listed in the database. You can have a look at that if it makes life any easier. Just let me know if you need it.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

Most of the items in the list above were toned down for the BG1 version at COM. I cross checked all the items added and almost a third of the items that were added originally were not used. These were removed. You'll find it a lot easier to take a look at the items for that MOD before you embark on work for this version which still seems to have balance issues. I created a database of item and spell changes due to the volume of editing needed. There are 555 Dark Side items listed in the database. You can have a look at that if it makes life any easier. Just let me know if you need it.

That database would be very useful - sent you a post about this over at CoM (as Tervadh). Ultimately, I would've liked to have seen a cross-compatible BGT/Tutu/BG1 DSotSC, but it seems perhaps the development has gone too far in two different directions at this point. Though having said that, some preliminary analysis a while back indicated the BGT version might've been a better base for a Tutu conversion than the BG1 version (or an easier base anyway) as it patches a little more cleanly (whereas the BG1 version might overwrite). I suppose any item tweaks done to a BG1/Tutu version could be backported to a separate BGT mod or optional subcomponent.

#16 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

So.... Did anything ever happen with this? I thought nerfing items was a great idea! If there's something fairly simple to be done I'd be willing to do it, but I know verrrry little about Weidu or other programming (suddenly not even quite sure that's how the word is spelled!).

#17 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

This mod musn't die here. It has to be released. Why its development has been sttoped? I think is utterly neccessary... a must have tweak, IMO. Dsotsc and Nsotsc are not the only BG1 modules any more.
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#18 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

Well, I didn't mean to imply that the mod is dead; in fact, I think Sir BB is working on an update right now. But he's concentrating on fixes not tweaks (I think) and I presume that means that item nerfing is not a priority. But I could be wrong!

#19 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

This mod musn't die here. It has to be released. Why its development has been sttoped? I think is utterly neccessary... a must have tweak, IMO. Dsotsc and Nsotsc are not the only BG1 modules any more.

Sir BillyBob is always making new patches, please be patient.
Sir BillyBob, myself and Celestine have been busy making a TC. You should check it out. You can once again begin at 1st level. Classic Adventures

Edited by leahnkain, 01 August 2007 - 05:43 PM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#20 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

Sir BillyBob, myself and Celestine have been busy making a TC. You should check it out. You can once again begin at 1st level. Classic Adventures

I'm aware of your work and admire your efforts. But i can't see the link between DSOTSC unbalance issues and Classic Adventures. I find both mods unrelated, but i guess i'm wrong.
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.