• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:42 PM

Sorry, I was just recommending Classic Adventures. My English wasn't so clear.(I have lived in Tokyo far too long.)Both works are unrelated. If you enjoy SirBillyBob's Mods or modding skills, I recommend strongly to try Classic Adventures. We would love you to help us out and try playtesting CA.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#22 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

The CA mod has nothing to do with DSotSC, NTotSC, or SoBH.

However, I have little to 0 care about those three mods anymore. SoBH was the only one that is my mod. The other two are just repacked to work with BGT-BP and now with BGT-Weidu. I have absolutely NO intention of creating a "tweak" mod for any of these three mods. I don't play BGT anymore. I like it, but after five or six years of the same storyline, I got tired of it. That is why I am working on CA now.

There will be one more release by me for these three mods. That is it. I will not waste my time or your patience on them after that. I have stated numerous times here that if someone else wants to support them, they can. You have my permission. Simple as that.

As for a tweak, anyone can make a tweak mod. Why the hell are people pissing and moaning about when someone else will make one? Make your own. I'd rather see 10 tweak mods than none at all. I thought that was the whole idea of this community.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#23 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Calm down, SBB. I didn't point at anyone in particular, just expressed a feeling.

I have stated numerous times here that if someone else wants to support them, they can. You have my permission. Simple as that.

I didn't know that.

Good luck with CA, i'll try it soon. It is an epic endeavour ;)
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#24 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Sorry, but it wasn't pointed directly at you. I have had to deal with several posts and emails now about revisions to these three mods. Today I finally had enough.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#25 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

Sir BillyBob--I just wanted to say that I didn't mean my post as a request for you, and hope I did not offend. I was simply wondering if Miloch or someone had finished any work on these items. After all, there's little point in my trying to figure out what to do with them if someone else had already done a better job than I'm likely to do! I certainly appreciate your work on updating these mods (which I'm soon to try out for the first time; I keep putting off replaying BG1 as new mods and revisions are always in the works...), and I'll see what I can do with the items after you post the version you're finishing.

By the way, I played an early version of CA, and really liked it. With all the updates I've read about, I'll certainly be back to play it again!

#26 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

I was simply wondering if Miloch or someone had finished any work on these items. After all, there's little point in my trying to figure out what to do with them if someone else had already done a better job than I'm likely to do!

I hadn't really planned on working on this - at least not in the near future. I was just interested in the idea of a revision or tweak. DSotSC is a huge mod, so even a tweak would be a lot of work. The fact we have two different versions (this one and the BG1 version) complicates it even further. Red Carnelian was working on a Tutu version and claimed above he had a database with fixed items but I never heard back from him on that.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#27 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

The items mentioned are seriously unbalancing, they have no business in a BG1 mod. Ditto the availability of high level Dark Side and BG2 spell scrolls.

The creators apparently had little to no concept of play balance. A modmaker has much the same responsibilitry toward the player as a DM does in a tabletop PnP game to offer balanced play. The player trusts the DM to set up the game properly. To be frank, here the modmakers shirked that responsibility. Newbie players will blindly trust that the modmakers knew what they were doing, and will continue on through the game equipped with powerful items that stand to make the game too easy. By the same token veteran players should not be tempted with unbalancing items either. I've been playing the game (off an on) for eight years, and now having just completed Dark Side I'm wondering which uber items I should keep that won't make the game too easy from here on out. I should not even have to be thinking about that.

One solution is make DSotSC available in its original state, and also offer a balanced revision. Purists can play the Team BG original, and those who want to see the mod balanced can have that also. One would think that the creators of the mod would appreciate and support efforts by the modding community to keep the mod running to begin with, and also to improve upon the mod in areas where it needs attention.

Revisions I would suggest:

* Make only a handful of custom items available--these are the ones I would leave in:

- Bonebreaker (quarterstaff)
- Jagged Lightning (scimitar)
- Ghost Blade (cutlass)
- Ring of the Ancients (for cleric-mages only)
- Justice (flail; but nerf THACO to +3 or +2)
- Skullsplitter (axe)

but everything else goes.

* As fas as Dark Side's new spells, I don't use all of them so I'm not sure if some of them are unbalancing. Ones that I did like and found aren't particularly unbalancing:

- Fairie Fire
- Thunderslap
- Minor Globe of Darkness

That said, regarding the higher level custom Dark Side spells, to begin with mages really don't have any business casting spells from higher level scrolls than they could memorize (that is completely illogical to me). So I would leave them out completely.

* Re: spell scroll loot drops, no high level BG2 spells! Make Contagion available either as an early loot drop or from Thalantyr, as it is a great level 4 spell. Drop only spells like:

- Spook
- Glitterdust
- Ray of Enfeeblement

I would not make anything higher than a level four spell available. I would not make Emotion and Chaos available, since those two spells in combination are so potent in (early-to-mid) BG2 that it should make BG/ToSC a cakewalk.

* Drastically reduce the length of the duregar/drow maze in Otho's quest. Make it about one fourth the number of areas. It is absurdly long and tedious.

* At least when SCS is installed (a staple mod now for many players), the battle in the chamber where one finds Trollslayer is insanely difficult and needs some nerfing. Endless respawning of gangs of thieves (continually gulping down potions of invisibility) and clerics makes this encounter nigh but impossible.

* Fix Jet Laya's sister's ghost so that she doesn't go missing. I found her impossible to locate, and I think others have reported the same over the years.

Edited by Lemernis, 26 October 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#28 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Only to let you know:

The Polish user find the items to overpowered for BG1, too and have made an item patch for NTotSC in the past.
http://translate.goo...t...de&ie=UTF-8
But the Polish item patch is not for the BGT-version of NTotSC. It works for the BG1-version only.

Here the readme translated with a google-tool:

Patch 1.0 NTotSC

CONTENT
1. Introduction
2. Problems
3. General information

-------------------------------------------------- ----------

1. Introduction

1a. Requirements

Baldur's Gate I + OzWM + NTotSC 2.01 + Patch NTotSC 2.01B

1b. Instalcja

Unzip the files to the folder where you installed the game Baldur's Gate I and run Setup-Pat.exe.
Press Y when prompted to install the Patch 1.0 NTotSC.

1c. Children of Bhaal Forum

Any objections remarks, bugs, etc. Please report on the above forum
http://cob.dmkhostin...a677566d7#34698

2. Problems

Patches has been designed to NTotSC the patch. I do not guarantee correct operation with previous versions, patch the game.

3. General information

3a. Change has been found 220 items in the game may have been the following changes:
a) change the parameters of their starting weight after TraK0 and injuries until the umagicznieniu ending.
b) alter the images of certain objects. Both of these in the inventory as well as those in the description.
c) the weakening or strengthening of certain items to remove some "of inflection" for example, Konar Elgenona - "rod" has been deprived of poisons.
d) the items are no longer hidden power. All their powers are included in the description.

3b. A new script drowów items, which are now disappearing from the inventory when the leave to the surface. The previous script will not work at all and remained in the inventory items in spite of departure to the surface.

3c. Slightly improved the store in the Miracle chamber. Now all items are identified. 3 In the original items were not identified and had to buy them in order to identify and expose their properties.

3d. Changed Noobera coat. From now on our mantle as the picture is unlikely to fall into berserk.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#29 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

The Polish user find the items to overpowered for BG1, too and have made an item patch for NTotSC in the past.

Of course, that doesn't help with DSotSC though, but I guess it's a start and maybe the "BP Balancer" helps.

Where is this mod? That link in what you pasted is dead. Maybe yarpen or someone else who knows Polish can translate it properly, and then someone can make it BGT compatible.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#30 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Of course, that doesn't help with DSotSC though, but I guess it's a start and maybe the "BP Balancer" helps.

Where is this mod? That link in what you pasted is dead. Maybe yarpen or someone else who knows Polish can translate it properly, and then someone can make it BGT compatible.

Try this: http://bg2.gram.pl/artykul302.htm.

Bad news about the BP-Balancer. Like "Unique Artifacts" the BP-Balancer is not more supported at the moment, but it is still needed to be compatible with the newer mod-versions and to add such things you mentioned. At the moment there is nobody who will support the BP-Balancer.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 19 May 2009 - 12:21 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#31 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

Like "Unique Artifacts" the BP-Balancer is not more supported at the moment

This might not be the thread for it, but what's wrong with Unique Artifacts? I guess it sort of addressed overpowered items. I haven't had time to keep up with all the multi-page BWP threads :blink:.

#32 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Like "Unique Artifacts" the BP-Balancer is not more supported at the moment

This might not be the thread for it, but what's wrong with Unique Artifacts? I guess it sort of addressed overpowered items. I haven't had time to keep up with all the multi-page BWP threads :blink:.

You will not find a thread about UA here at SHS. Last year there was a discussion in the German forum about oddities which happens with UA and newer modversions. But you are right, this is not the right forum to talk about it. Next time I'll start a thread for this in the correct English forum.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#33 Klazmar

Klazmar
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

I agree; although it was fun to have Jaheira run around with Boots of Speed, -12 armor class, doing attack damage plus 6d6, and bonus hit points. But yes, I think it could be toned down a little.

#34 JustGans

JustGans
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

I agree; although it was fun to have Jaheira run around with Boots of Speed, -12 armor class, doing attack damage plus 6d6, and bonus hit points. But yes, I think it could be toned down a little.

My Ajantis had -20 AC and -4 THACO / 5 attacks per round in battle with Sarevok.

Neversleeping-ubergod-Edwin was there too... :(

BGT/DSotSC/NTotSC/SoBH

Edited by JustGans, 26 August 2009 - 01:27 AM.

#35 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Interesting (and a bit disheartening) to see that this thread still lives...

I was the O.P of this thread in 2006 and the one who posted the nerfed item suggestions. (Actual name of Draco)

If I decide to take the time to learn Weidu coding I might just use some of those values...

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 18 September 2009 - 09:11 AM.