• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

I am trying to make an item only usable by assassins, and not normal thieves or any of the other thief kits.

Making items unusable by swashies and bounty bouncers is easy. The thing is, I am not sure if making the item unusable by non-kitted thieves is possible, due to the hardcoding of item usabilities. I have done a test run with a couple of items, one with the usability bits for normal thief AND assassin ticked, and one with the assassin usability flag set but the "thief" flag set to unusable. Then I CLUACOnsoled each item into my assassin's inventory, and as I suspected the second item (the one that is seemingly set to be used by the assassin kit but NOT the "vanilla" thief) was not equippable. :(

So, can I assume that while it is possible to set an item usable by, for example, an assassin but not a swashbuckler by setting the right flags, it is NOT possible to set an item usable by an assassin but not a regular thief? Or am I missing something? And if I'm not, is there a workaround/coding "cheat" that can be used to circumvent this?

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

You might not be able to prevent thieves from using items only available to assassins, but you do have one resource to fall back on, if you plan to allow Chrysta to use druid flagged items :)

You can always set the usability flags to allow only assassins who are also able to use druid-flagged items...

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

For this one, if you use NI, you can set the flags to be extremely specific as to what character class, alignment etc can or can't use what.
If you want to create an item for *one* very *specific* class, I would do that in NI.

*hugs*
DS

p.s. *ugh* in rereading your post.....I would second what Berelinde said....

Edited by Dirt_Squirrel, 17 May 2007 - 02:59 PM.

Knowledge is Power, and power corrupts, so study hard and be Evil!

I'm so good that, if I didn't already exist, someone would invent me!

#4 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

For this one, if you use NI, you can set the flags to be extremely specific as to what character class, alignment etc can or can't use what.
If you want to create an item for *one* very *specific* class, I would do that in NI.

There is nothing that you can do in NI that cannot be done in a hex editor, or via a tp2. DLTCEP can probably do it all as well, though I know at least there are some unknowns that it doesn't bother to let you edit.

Visit the IESDP

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

My advise would be to leave item usable by vanilla thieves and simply say in readme - "item isn't supposed to be usable by vanillas, don't do it if you want to roleplay".
If you desperately need to make unusable by vanilla - add a block into the baldur.bcs which would check for equipped item and would drop it if character isn't an assasin.

Retired from modding.

#6 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

My advise would be to leave item usable by vanilla thieves and simply say in readme - "item isn't supposed to be usable by vanillas, don't do it if you want to roleplay".
If you desperately need to make unusable by vanilla - add a block into the baldur.bcs which would check for equipped item and would drop it if character isn't an assasin.

Thanks GeN1e, and all others who have contributed.

As it stands, there is no problem with any of the actual in-game NPCs taking advantage of the items with patched druid/thief usability flags, since NONE of them are "vanilla" thieves. The only potential hiccups would be if the PC were a vanilla thief, or a pure thief modded NPC were in the party at the same time (and the only one that immediately springs to mind is Fade).

So, even though it is not an ideal solution, I will probvably go with the "VANILLA THIEF WARNING" disclaimer as suggested.

As usual, thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and help :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

It's quite funny :) I've just noticed there is a 'baseclass' flag in usability table. In Dltcep it's the third column, second field from the bottom.

Retired from modding.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

Well, yes. But if you turn off "Thief" it doesn't matter if you turn on "Assassin" - none of the kits can use the item if the base class isn't enabled. At least I think that's the way it works (if not, there are a lot of wack items out there in the original game alone).

What you can do is impose a bunch of stat requirements on the item. For example, if your NPC assassin has an 18 Dex, a 16 Cha and is Neutral Evil, you could limit the item to someone who has those attributes.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

No need to turn 'thief' flag off. Only 'baseclass'. In other words 'thief' and 'assasin' must be turned on and 'baseclass' - off.

Retired from modding.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hmm. Have you tested this? I thought that only applied to mages for some reason...

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#11 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Yes, I tried it.

Retired from modding.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Interestin'. Maybe it wasn't such a dumbass question after all :D.