Candlekeep remake

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#81 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

These are nothing short of spectacular! WOWZA.

#82 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:20 AM

Thx alot. Tis good to get nice feedback :)

Here's the priest house. Miloch, or anyone else. Have you got or can you remember an area sound with a harp being played sound? There's a magical harp here that I think would sound cool and a quiet gentle ambient.

Priesthouse.jpg

Edited by Big Poppa, 30 November 2007 - 03:20 AM.

Quality over quantity baby

BG - A Tale Retold

Facebook, Richard Haines, westmidlands, england

#83 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

Ah cool, thx alot. Did you record those sounds yourself with a mic?

Nah, I just picked up some cheapware at the local office supply store for spare change. Although the sound quality isn't always outstanding, the best thing is the license, as the second reviewer in that link says - you can use up to 150 of the sounds in a computer program (such as a mod) without any special permission or royalty. I don't think there's a list, but there's literally thousands of sound clips in various categories (animals, household, nature, people, etc.). So unless it's something really unique, there's probably something close.

As for the windmill, I'm pretty sure I can come up with something nice. Does anyone know the maximum size of an animation file before crashing? pixel size that is.

Not sure exactly, but I think they can be fairly large - maybe 256px square? There was some talk about that on the old DLTCEP boards - Avenger might know (his new board is over at gibberlings3.net).

Unless the freezy thing is magical, of course.

I'm willing to believe it could be. I'm sure Candlekeep could afford such a thing, what with their 10k library admission fee or whatever. Looks cool (eh... no pun intended :mellow:).
Edit:

Have you got or can you remember an area sound with a harp being played sound? There's a magical harp here that I think would sound cool and a quiet gentle ambient.

I think there might be some harp sounds in the game - not sure which ones they'd be though.

The harp clip on that compilation I have is fairly rubbish:
Attached File  harpclip.wav   31.87K   198 downloads
I sampled some traditional Irish and Manx harp music I have that might work better:
Attached File  harpberu.wav   329.66K   231 downloadsAttached File  harpmanx.wav   645.01K   241 downloadsAttached File  harpmoyl.wav   467.58K   261 downloads

Edited by Miloch, 01 December 2007 - 04:56 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#84 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:39 AM

That second sample there will do very nicely, thx alot for these Miloch :cheers:

Here's the temple interior. I'm not a forgotten realms super nut but I know oghma is the god of knowledge or something like that so I figured that it could be a place to go and read etc hence all the tomes and that the vortex that I kindly skanked from iwd1's kuldahar temple could be a place to throw all evil or corrupting books. I managed to find a logo of the ogmha symbol and made it look painted to the tiles on the floor. Logo was kinda cartoony but looked okay when done.

TEMPLE.jpg

BG - A Tale Retold

#85 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:01 AM

Beautiful. The light is wonderfully eerie.

#86 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

Part of the public burial catacomb. Coffins are able to be pried open using door overlays.

Catacomb.jpg

Edited by Big Poppa, 06 December 2007 - 08:21 AM.

BG - A Tale Retold

#87 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

Just changed the above image

Edited by Big Poppa, 06 December 2007 - 12:00 PM.

BG - A Tale Retold

#88 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

It looks really good.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#89 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

Thx

As will eventually be seen when I get this out, I have lots of these little places where it explains how potential assassins actually got in to candlekeep's walls. This leads to a freshly dug passage that goes in to the catacombs within the grounds. Not much else going on here but these little areas help with the plot telling.

Grapplebeach.jpg

BG - A Tale Retold

#90 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:19 AM

Bescause of the story that I will use and mainly because my favourite part of the lord of the rings movies by far was the whole hobbiton thing, I am making a small country hamlet a stones throw north of the Candlekeep grounds where less important members of the keep live (groundkeepers, bakers, farmers and so on). I like to think of the area as being as self sufficient as possible, providing for the keep so this area will grow its own crops, make its own beer, farm its own animals and will look heavily like hobbiton. This place doesn't actually exist on realms map. All I am looking for really is a name for the place. I guess "Candlekeep bay Hamlet" would suffice and get right to the point since it's sat on that little island like bay.

BG - A Tale Retold

#91 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

All I am looking for really is a name for the place. I guess "Candlekeep bay Hamlet" would suffice and get right to the point since it's sat on that little island like bay.

Maybe call it "Lionscrag" or the like, since Candlekeep "stands on a volcanic horn, or crag, overlooking the sea." And I've always wondered what the Lion's Way refers to, since it just links Candlekeep to the Coast Way. Maybe there was a settlement there long before Candlekeep, founded by a hero known as "Lion-hearted" or a similar epithet. Perhaps the ancient town was destroyed by volcanic activity, or most of it fell into the sea. Now, nothing remains where the settlement once was, except a few humble buildings, and maybe a few ruins poking out of the soil.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#92 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hhmm, the lion horn kinda rolls off the tongue and sounds good. We'll call it that for now. This image means nothing right now but this is how the "lion horn" began life heh.

Oh, and how do you find out all of that info? I actually did a search for candlekeep of a forgotten realms wiki and got jackshit really.

Edited by Big Poppa, 08 December 2007 - 03:46 PM.

BG - A Tale Retold

#93 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

BG - A Tale Retold

#94 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

The info miloch said is actually simply ingame

And that looks so dawn sweet. Really a nice little hobbit house!

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#95 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

Looking good.

The info miloch said is actually simply ingame

Huh? :huh:

Edit: Oh, I missed this earlier:

Oh, and how do you find out all of that info? I actually did a search for candlekeep of a forgotten realms wiki and got jackshit really.

Yeah, that's because there is jack. There's no real history in Lost Empires of Faerun either, at least not about the Sword Coast. You can find some stuff about the founding of Baldur's Gate if you browse around the web, but that's about it.

As Deathsangel said, the info about Candlekeep is said in-game at the opening scene, and it's also in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, which used to be a free download from WotC but they must've taken it off the list for some stupid reason. If you want, I can quote the text from it. There's not a whole lot about the area I haven't already mentioned. I also have an article on Candlekeep from a Dragon issue. Most of the background is directly from BG, but there's a couple new things maybe.

The Lion's Way is the name of the road to Candlekeep that appears on the FR maps, and it's also the name of the game map area when you first leave Candlekeep. It's also called "The Way of the Lion" on some maps.

The rest of that stuff I made up, since there's a lack of any official material. Sounded plausible enough though.

Edited by Miloch, 13 December 2007 - 08:14 AM.

#96 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

I think I have found that guide somewhere... unofficial download. I didn't need it so tossed it away... apparently a bit of shame, need I find it again?

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#97 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

I think I have found that guide somewhere... unofficial download. I didn't need it so tossed it away... apparently a bit of shame, need I find it again?

It's ok... kinda sparse on some areas. Really the only BG1 areas mentioned are Candlekeep, BG, Nashkel, Beregost, Friendly Arm... it has some good data that could be used to add NPCs and magic items. If you're modding BG2 though, it doesn't cover that at all really - you're better off dowloading Lands of Intrigue (somehow WotC's site offers that but not the much smaller Sword Coast guide).

#98 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:14 AM

It's ok... kinda sparse on some areas. Really the only BG1 areas mentioned are Candlekeep, BG, Nashkel, Beregost, Friendly Arm... it has some good data that could be used to add NPCs and magic items. If you're modding BG2 though, it doesn't cover that at all really - you're better off dowloading Lands of Intrigue (somehow WotC's site offers that but not the much smaller Sword Coast guide).

I didn't meant searching it for me so much, as simply for others that do work on BG1. Thanks for the link though ;)

#99 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:16 AM

Thx guys. Beregost was the same really. Says it was the battle ground of 2 dragons and is now run by a priest and thats it. No maps, no info. I guess it's ground for the imagination to run wild.

BG - A Tale Retold

#100 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:53 AM

If you're thinking of remaking Beregost, you da man. That would be a lot of work, a lot of interiors, but it'd be badass and maybe we can have a crash-free Beregost finally.

I PMed you some more info I have - should be at least marginally useful for Candlekeep and Beregost. Let me know if you want more on Candlekeep... I'll see what I can pull from that Dragon article.