[Solved] Chanters in Candlekeep

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 -Pater-

-Pater-

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post here, so first of all I'd like to congratulate everybody involved in this wonderful Weidu tool :Bow:

I'm starting to play BG + TotSC with BG2's engine using Weidu. I think I've installed everything correctly: BG + patch + TotSC + patch + BG2 + patch + ToB + patch + BG2 FixPack + Weidu 1.05a. Everything is working nicely with that setup, and I installed no other mods than Restore Text Screen from Ascension64.

I found however something intriguing with the chanters in Candlekeep. With that setup, the chanters don't chant and have no dialog ("voice of xxx has nothing to say"). I've searched the forum and I know that the no dialog issue has been reported in the past. In that thread Miloch says that the chanters have no text because they aren't supposed to, and that this works this way even in BG1, but in my BG1 they do have dialog (they say what they chant).

This is a minor issue anyway. Main problem is that in my installation of Weidu, the chanters don't chant. I tried to fix this by extracting their sounds (chant01.wav to chant05.wav) from BG1's NPCSound.bif and placing the files in BG2's override folder.

Now the chanters chant :rolleyes: (it seems that randomly, as I cannot activate their chant by talking to them), which made me wonder if Weidu is messing it up when taking the sounds from NPCSound.bif and placing them in BG2's data\BGTWAV.bif file. I thought this because if I open that BGTWAV.bif file with the Near Infinity utility and try to hear its chant0x.wavfiles then the program can't play them.

So, it is possible that Weidu is somewhat corrupting some sound files? I found this about the chanters, but I fear that there might be more stuff not being played in the whole BGT-Weidu :wacko:

Keep up the good work!

PS: The spanish installation of Weidu has the same issue as the french one. The male and female voices in an spanish BG are named "varonxx.wav" ("malexx.wav" in the english version) and "hembraxx.wav" (for english "femalexx.wav")

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

I found however something intriguing with the chanters in Candlekeep. With that setup, the chanters don't chant and have no dialog ("voice of xxx has nothing to say"). I've searched the forum and I know that the no dialog issue has been reported in the past. In that thread Miloch says that the chanters have no text because they aren't supposed to, and that this works this way even in BG1, but in my BG1 they do have dialog (they say what they chant).

This is a minor issue anyway. Main problem is that in my installation of Weidu, the chanters don't chant. I tried to fix this by extracting their sounds (chant01.wav to chant05.wav) from BG1's NPCSound.bif and placing the files in BG2's override folder.

Now the chanters chant :rolleyes: (it seems that randomly, as I cannot activate their chant by talking to them), which made me wonder if Weidu is messing it up when taking the sounds from NPCSound.bif and placing them in BG2's data\BGTWAV.bif file. I thought this because if I open that BGTWAV.bif file with the Near Infinity utility and try to hear its chant0x.wavfiles then the program can't play them.

Very odd. I wonder if that may be the cause of a number of other 'A has nothing to say to you.' bugs that have been reported as well.

So, it is possible that Weidu is somewhat corrupting some sound files? I found this about the chanters, but I fear that there might be more stuff not being played in the whole BGT-Weidu :wacko:

I wouldn't know. Previous reports have had joinable NPC soundsets not utter anything audible. You might want to check those too.

PS: The spanish installation of Weidu has the same issue as the french one. The male and female voices in an spanish BG are named "varonxx.wav" ("malexx.wav" in the english version) and "hembraxx.wav" (for english "femalexx.wav")

Thanks for that. Will fix.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

I too would like to hear the chanters again, and I also remember from BG1 and Tutu that clicking on them makes them re-chant their chant.

Hmm, using NI, chant0x.wav files in my install are being pulled from npcsound.bif which is a BG2 file. I have BGT 1.04

Test results: clicking on them they don't chant, but they are singing: there's some type of delay (in the loop?) before they sing. You just have to stand around long enough to hear them. In BG1, they kept the racket up continuously, without any noticeable delay.

Edited by Azazello, 22 December 2007 - 06:01 PM.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

It appears that CHANT0x.wav is being directly used from the BG2 installation, so do certain BG2:ToBs don't have these files?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 -Pater-

-Pater-

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

I too would like to hear the chanters again, and I also remember from BG1 and Tutu that clicking on them makes them re-chant their chant.

Hmm, using NI, chant0x.wav files in my install are being pulled from npcsound.bif which is a BG2 file. I have BGT 1.04

Yep. You're right. The files being used come from BG2's data\NPCSound.bif. Anyway, NI can't play those files here. Could it be that they are corrupt?. Anyone can confirm?

BTW, I can hear them chant (by placing the original BG1 wavs on the override folder), but can't trigger the chant by clicking on them like in BG1.

Regards and thanks for the quick response. Great community over here :hug:

#6 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

Pater, which version of game discs are you using for both BG1 and BG2 - original 6-discs, Original Saga, language of the discs, etc.? As Ascension64 is noting, there might be differences that each version contains.

#7 -Pater-

-Pater-

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Pater, which version of game discs are you using for both BG1 and BG2 - original 6-discs, Original Saga, language of the discs, etc.? As Ascension64 is noting, there might be differences that each version contains.

Can't really tell what versions are. Sorry. I'll tell you something about the media in the hope that you can guess it.

Baldur's Gate comes in a DVD. DVD label is "BG_DVD", and it seems to contain 4 languages: English, French, Italian and Spanish. English readme in the root of the DVD says this:

Baldur's Gate ™
Release Version 1.1.4315

Tales of the Sword Coast is a single CD. This is english only and the CD label is "BG Disc6". The readme says this:

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast ™
Release Version 1.3.5508

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn comes in 4 CDs. Their labels are "BG2_CD1" "BG2_CD2", etc. Theis is spanish only and there is no relevant version info on the readme.

Throne of Baal is a spanish only single CD labeled "BG2 ToB". Readme says:

BG2 ToB

Hope that helps.

BTW I tried to remove the wav files from the override folder and spend a bunch of minutes around the chanters. They DON'T chant under those circumnstances. Placing the files there again makes them sing. It's easy to tell whether the chant or not. They have a white circle glowing around them when they chant. It seems that having unplayable sound files (or no sound files at all) prevents them from doing their stuff (otherwise they should be having their white circle while chanting and we wouldn't hear it because of no sound).

As for the delay Azazello mentioned, I've noticed it too.

Regards.

#8 -Pater-

-Pater-

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Sorry. I made a mistake when quoting the readme from ToB. This is what the readme says:

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (mr)
Versión de lanzamiento 2.5.26461

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

If you extract the files with NI (use export and convert...) and try to play them with Windows Media Player or something, do they play?

--------------
Retired Modder

#10 -Pater-

-Pater-

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

If you extract the files with NI (use export and convert...) and try to play them with Windows Media Player or something, do they play?

Nope. The exported wav file is a 44 byte file, so it will hardly contain sound. It seems to contain a wav file header. though. This is what shows when open the file with Notepad:

RIFF$ WAVEfmt    "V "V   data

This is the whole chant01.WAV from BG2\data\NPCSound.bif.

#11 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

OK then, will import these files from BG1 then. Thanks.

--------------
Retired Modder

#12 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

Very odd. I wonder if that may be the cause of a number of other 'A has nothing to say to you.' bugs that have been reported as well.

Yes, I reported that bug and many other instances of "XXX has nothing to say to you" in the past and I am happy that a new user accounts for this too.

I was feeling paranoic about these bugs that were plaguing my installation, spoiling the game. It is not minor, like Pater said unfortunately, because the missing dialogue for the Chanters is only the top of the iceberg.

I have had much more serious issues, example, when I could not initiate any dialogue with Taugosz Khosann and I knew that in BG1 vanilla it should have started.

I don't know what is causing all this but at least I know that it's not intended behaviour.

Edited by Salk, 22 December 2007 - 11:57 PM.

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

Salk, we love you, you know that. :hug:

#14 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Salk, we love you, you know that. :hug:

Missing sounds I can understand, but having nothing to say is something I still don't know the cause of.

--------------
Retired Modder

#15 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

I thought that when I played BG1 by itself, that you could talk to the chanters and they say what they are singing as per Salk's reply ( or they say something). Kind of in contrary, I thought approaching XZar and Jaheira they would say
Jaheira: "How long must we stand here and wait about" > paraphrase
Xzar: "Montaron, you are so agravating... ____ ____ ____ to my demeanor" obvious paraphrase
Both in proximity in normal game. They say that at initial dialog command in my megamod. Maybe I am out of my league, but is it in the BCS of the actual area for them to "PLay Sound" and see character .
Chanters, it seems, have the opposite thing going on. Maybe??? Their play sound is in the BCS but they have no DLG file

Edited by Hoppy, 27 December 2007 - 08:02 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#16 UndeadsRUs

UndeadsRUs
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

Have you tried right clicking on the chanters to see if they play their sound then?

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

In Tutu, I get this when clicking on the chanters:

Chanter- has nothing to say to you.
Chanter- The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

On a whim, I turned off Subtitles in the sound config, and I got just:

Chanter- has nothing to say to you.

In plain BG1, I get the same behaviour, except for the "Chanter- has nothing to say to you" line. So with subtitles, I get the text of the chant, otherwise I just get a blank line. So it seems kind of buggy to me either way, though perhaps more so in Tutu (and I guess BGT) than BG1.

I'd put this down to a difference between the BG1 and BG2 engines. Offhand, I'm not sure how we'd go about solving this, except maybe to restore their "dialogue" though that would be redundant to their soundclip subtitles and seems to run counter to what the designers (ultimately) intended.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

The cost of pedantry is a little too dear, IMO.

--------------
Retired Modder

#19 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:08 AM

After 6 years it seems the chanters are still not chanting...  :shifty:

Can other BGT players confirm this is happening to them too?

Edited by Salk, 03 November 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#20 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

Yep, they aren't chanting in BGT. In BG1, they automatically start chanting when you get close enough. This is something I noticed in other instances as well. For example, in BG1 the Town Crier in Beregost starts, well, crying "Hear ye, hear ye" when you get close enough. This never happened in my BGT playthroughs. In BG1 Nashkel, some peasants wanted me out of their way if I got close enough. In BGT Nashkel, they won't ever say anything as I'm passing by. In general, BGT doesn't trigger these tiny bits of spoken one-liners. I don't know, but it sure looks like an engine thing to me.