• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Himself

Himself

CEO of the ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGIE

• 230 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:13 AM

Just to povide some further information for whoever gets lag in this fashion:

Her lags seemed to be caused by a very extensive baldur.bcs, the 50% trick worked to run the game fine both times (get the script, cut half of it, see if it works, then get the backup and cut the other half, test again)

So basically she took a lot of checks out of the script (all the ones mentioned previously plus some other things), and now it seems to run fine.

Since most people don't report to find this heavy lag I have no idea of what could cause it aside the long baldur.bcs, her PC specs look good (core duo, 2gb ram)

Edited by Himself, 27 June 2008 - 05:17 AM.

...to be isn't important, we're no longer than we're :)

#42 Dracan

Dracan
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

Hey I am new here and I wanted to say I've been having the lag problem myself, though not sure if its the same as the one talked about here. After doing some reading around the forums I saw something about the getting rid of the bags, so I dumped them in the nearest barrel and all my lag problems where gone. My game is the BWP with almost all the mods for the non-expert version installed and I am only in chapter 2 of BGT. Oh, and last thing is even when my bags where totally empty as long as they where in the inventory of one of my characters I had lag.

#43 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:57 AM

I saw something about the getting rid of the bags, so I dumped them in the nearest barrel and all my lag problems where gone.

Interesting. Well it sounds like it's definitely worth implementing our fix (or an alternate component anyway) for those "bottomless" bags.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#44 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:53 AM

I have a fast system (for BG) with 2GB ram as well and when I have more than 3 Bags of any kind, the game starts lagging as hell!
So I suggest you put all the bags that you have on the ground and keep max 2 bottomless bags. They can store a sufficient amount of things.
I promise you, after that your lags will be gone.

If anyone has already suggested that, sorry, didn't rfead through all the topic.

Marvin

#45 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hello, I also experience the lag shatter problem, my baldur.bcs has 724 kb, isn't it too much? Experimentally Cleared some poarts of the baldur.bcs and recompiled, didn't heped, so I tried to clear the baldur.bcs at all and compile (just as a test), started bg and threw away all items, running around with single character, and it still lagged, mainly when I met some creatures (I'm in chapter 3 in the BG1 part)
Any hint?

I'm running quite huge mega mod installation, here is the weidu.log

Edit: Oh my holy god, I just found the end-biff thingy, and when I applied it, it really smoothed the game A LOT, I'm not sure if it doesn't lag a bit, but for now, it looks pretty smoth, I will definetly include this thing in my mega mod installer.

Attached Files

Edited by kovarex, 27 September 2008 - 11:07 AM.

#46 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

I think I'm beginning to experience the same problem, could you possibly tell me what parts of my baldur.bcs could be removed/changed? I understand this code, more or less, but I don't trust myself, I may make some stupid mistake and not notice it until it is too late. For example, I don't know what do all these kit/class checks at the beginning of the file do, and deleting them (just experimentally) reduces the file from 700 to 650 (not that it made any change to game lags). I have the installation biffed by the auto-installer so that can't be a solution.

Attached Files

Without love there?s no happily ever after. Not even once upon a time.

The avatar is made from a picture by amazing NorthernBanshee. http://www.northernb....deviantart.com

#47 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

Sorry, but I'm not experienced enough to doing this. Perhaps someone else could help you.

Have you read and tried Jarno's hints for problemsolving?

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#48 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

7) De-fragmenting your hard drive might also help... as you don't have to go find the data in the pieces. (hmm, there is a joke in there, hih)

Works for me all the time when I get choppy play. Usually I get a slowdown somewhere in BG1 (after or during the Bonehill mod) without tons of full bags of holdings or infinite stacks of whatever. I always make a backup of the BALDUR.BCS before I edit that at all.

The last time I added more to the Baldur.BCS :o for extra compatibility in mods and to keep BG2 stuff from happening in BG1 (Kiyone, Arkvisti, Rhialto, etc). Adding stuff didn't make me slower so I don't think taking out a whole bunch of script checks for quests is a good idea if you want the things to happen that you have installed.

Also if you have transitioned from BG1 to BG2 it will be very slow and I have a trick for that. PM me if anyone wants to know because I may forget to check this topic again.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#49 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hoppy, what is your secret/trick?
:ermm:

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#50 Koning

Koning
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:03 AM

I have the same problem as Arlaya and when I put an empty baldur.bcs in the folder it indeed runs without lags, but do I want the extra's of the mods I installed.
Killing everybody, throwing away bags of holding (or all items) does not solve the problem. From the previous discussion it seems that cleaning up the baldur.bcs file is the solution but where do I find it and what can I delete from it because it is not in the override folder after installing the mods? (and I doubt the baldur.bcs file in the Bg2-SOA\SOS\over.bak\baldur.bcs is the right one)
I included the WeiDU.log file.

Attached Files

Edited by Koning, 22 December 2008 - 09:04 AM.

#51 -Too lazy to log in-

-Too lazy to log in-

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

You will have to use NearInfinity tool to access your baldur.bcs file.

#52 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

You have not much mods installed, so try these things first:

Mini Infopack by Jarno

0. Always patch the game(s) with the latest patch, start a new game and exit after the game has auto-saves itself(so you have to make a char or choose a pre-made one), before you do any moding, and you might as well make a safe backup from the important files: data and override folders, baldur.exe, BGMain.exe, dialog.tlk and CHITIN.key .
1. Put the ambient sounds off from the BGConfic.exe, as some of the areas might have no ambient sounds and so the game tries to start them many time continuously, and so looses processing power.
2. Don't mess with the game configurations so the speed adjustment percentages stay on "normal" ratings even if you have very high end machine, as the game has own it's internal fps counter, it sometimes tries to correct the fps on it's own by lowering graphs etc. Also the games frame rate should be set to about 30, as that's the default.
3. I wouldn't recommend to install any of the speaking item mods, as they run their scripts and fire their comments everywhere, and that's bad for the fps(frames/second count).
4. Delete the old files from the Cache folder time to time.
5. Inventory management(no stacks that have more than about 200 items, in a bag, arrows etc.), -might help.
6. Trying to avoid too many effects on a character(about 20 is fine, 200 is too many, and 20 000 is way way too many...)
7. De-fragmenting your hard drive might also help... as you don't have to go find the data in the pieces. (hmm, there is a joke in there, hih)
8. Install the mods in correct order, and make sure you started from a clean install, so there is no leftovers from old mods, by deleting the old mod files, the data and override folders(don't go and overwrite them), helpful links for for TuTu and BGT(the .pdf files) -based Megamods.
9. It might be a good idea to biff your override folder, but do that knowing that you generally can't change the game much after. Or use the End_biff from here.

Then the BP-BGT-Worldmap you installed needs the BG2 Fixpack. But you should not install it afterwards. You need a new installetion for that.

And last, you should not delete the extracted modfiles/-folders from your BG2 main directory, because you could need them for bugfixing. ;)

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#53 Koning

Koning
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:23 AM

Thank you for the fast reply I will try the things that are mentioned first and will let you know if it helped.