A Series of Queries: BG1 Version

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

It is time to begin the search for the extra-bizarre in the Baldur's Gate World. This time, I've gathered up some things from the original game. Here we go:

1. Why is it the protagonist is not allowed to spend the night for free in his own home? Try sleeping on the ground in Candlekeep. The silly guard tells you to go rent a room from Winthrop. Candlekeep must be in dire financial straits to force money from its own residents for room and board.

2. Why does the Friendly Arm Inn allow anyone to sleep within the compound? Sleep in any town and you'll be awakened and accused of vagrancy. I guess that's why they call it the FRIENDLY Arm Inn. Still, sleeping outside the keep would be better if they had a few park benches out there...

3. Why does Candlekeep forbid most guards from carrying swords and then sell all sorts of weaponry at the store? My guess is that it's more profitable to keep swords away from guards and sell them as souvenir's to the tourists. Either that or they provide loans to the visitors. "Hey, look what I got at the library! They said I had to return it in two weeks, though."

4. Why do assassins believe crowded inns to be the best place to slay someone? Haven't they ever heard of using the cover of darkness, waylaying in alleys, or using subtle means of extermination? Apparently not. If the Iron Throne can afford to hire entire mercenary bands to prey upon merchants, why couldn't they get some competent killers, too? The answer is probably nepotism. I bet all those higher-ups hired their friends to do the job.

5. Why do hobgoblins have blond hair after you scalp them? Have you ever seen a live hobgoblin with blond hair? I didn't think so.

6. Why do stores buy bounty notices and other such documents? Do they want to ship them out to be used again? Is it a conspiracy to get the protagonist killed? Or is it part of a scrap paper drive to save Toril's environment? Personally, if they're going to do that, I'd rather have them make landfills on top of ancient druid groves.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#2 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

Yeah number 5 and 6 are pretty wack and of course it is quite funny to meet tons of assassins in Inns with random civilians

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#3 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

I think the most Hopelessly Incompetent Assassin Award has to go to Nimbul. The one who walks up to you in broad daylight, in the middle of the main road in Nashkel, right outside the Inn. and then proceeds to deliver the immortal line "I am death come to thee". Only if it is death by laughter.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#4 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

The guards are carrying quarterstaves because the metal is crumbling. People still sell the stuff because they can. :)
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Can you scalp hobgoblins? I thought it was only the human bandits who had scalps...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

Can you scalp hobgoblins? I thought it was only the human bandits who had scalps...

Yes indeed. But you can't scalp all of them. I can't remember which ones exactly, but a lot of the ones who speak before attacking drop scalps when they die.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#7 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

1. Why is it the protagonist is not allowed to spend the night for free in his own home? Try sleeping on the ground in Candlekeep. The silly guard tells you to go rent a room from Winthrop. Candlekeep must be in dire financial straits to force money from its own residents for room and board.

Because they decided there was no real reason to allow the player to go inside the keep just for sleeping for free? Or perhaps because since Gorion and the PC are leaving, Candlekeep is no longer their home.

2. Why does the Friendly Arm Inn allow anyone to sleep within the compound? Sleep in any town and you'll be awakened and accused of vagrancy. I guess that's why they call it the FRIENDLY Arm Inn. Still, sleeping outside the keep would be better if they had a few park benches out there...

Probably due to an oversight.

3. Why does Candlekeep forbid most guards from carrying swords and then sell all sorts of weaponry at the store? My guess is that it's more profitable to keep swords away from guards and sell them as souvenir's to the tourists. Either that or they provide loans to the visitors. "Hey, look what I got at the library! They said I had to return it in two weeks, though."

Because the player would be annoyed if he could not properly fit his character?

4. Why do assassins believe crowded inns to be the best place to slay someone? Haven't they ever heard of using the cover of darkness, waylaying in alleys, or using subtle means of extermination? Apparently not. If the Iron Throne can afford to hire entire mercenary bands to prey upon merchants, why couldn't they get some competent killers, too? The answer is probably nepotism. I bet all those higher-ups hired their friends to do the job.

Because they needed to make sure that the player met these assassins. If they were standing behind a building, they might never encounter the party. Similarly, you meet Elminster in Beregost near the Thunderhammer Smithy and in Baldur's Gate near Sorcerous Sundries.

5. Why do hobgoblins have blond hair after you scalp them? Have you ever seen a live hobgoblin with blond hair? I didn't think so.

Because most scalps come from the blond bandits and the developers might have been more focused on finishing chapter 7 than adding hobgoblin scalps.

6. Why do stores buy bounty notices and other such documents? Do they want to ship them out to be used again? Is it a conspiracy to get the protagonist killed? Or is it part of a scrap paper drive to save Toril's environment? Personally, if they're going to do that, I'd rather have them make landfills on top of ancient druid groves.

Because stores either buy all scrolls, including spell scrolls and scrolls of protection, or none at all.

#8 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

DRAT! These aren't supposed to be taken seriously!!! :D

#9 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

Good. I would hate to receive a serous reply to this:

You and presumably other adventurers scrape the bottom of every barrel looking for loot. Yet you can store items worth thousands of GP in any old barrel or box and nobody ever takes your stuff.

There, it wasn't even phrased as a question.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#10 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Good. I would hate to receive a serous reply to this:

You and presumably other adventurers scrape the bottom of every barrel looking for loot. Yet you can store items worth thousands of GP in any old barrel or box and nobody ever takes your stuff.

That's easy. I just stick a sign on the barrel:

BEWARE!!! Mustard Jelly Inside.

#11 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Wouldn't that get MORE adventurers digging for the bottom of your barrel?

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Why do stores buy bounty notices and other such documents?

Because stores either buy all scrolls, including spell scrolls and scrolls of protection, or none at all.

Not absolutely true - if the item has a price of zero, no one will buy it. Personally, I'm happy to unload such rubbish on stores, even if it's just for a single coin. It's like when you go to pubs and they have old license plates, photos and whatnot on the walls... I figure that's what they do with it.

Wouldn't that get MORE adventurers digging for the bottom of your barrel?

Probably not if it was a "BEWARE!!! Fission Slime Inside" notice instead. Damn things are nearly unkillable due to a scripting glitch, and they multiply like Gremlins.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

Here is one other question though some of you might know the answer...

Why does Mulahay(sp?) not kill Xan outright when he captures him? Because when you confront him he attempts to kill you and make no effort of capturing you...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#14 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

Here is one other question though some of you might know the answer...

Why does Mulahay(sp?) not kill Xan outright when he captures him? Because when you confront him he attempts to kill you and make no effort of capturing you...

Because Xan is an adorable Elven cutie... specializing in the school of Enchantment. That explains it all!

(And no, don't start playing with an Elven enchanter with 18 charisma now. It still won't work, because Xan is SPECIAL. Yes. :wub: )

Excuse my blatant fangirlism.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#15 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Xan's overwhelmingly depressing personality is very catching. Mulahey decided it would be best to just toss him in a separate part of the cave. The intention was that if CHARNAME managed to kill him (Mulahey) that they'd take Xan along in the party and he'd discourage the party to the point of giving up.

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

And of course, the biggie - why does Sarevok, awesome behemoth that he is, not deal with the PC personally while he had the chance? I mean, short game, yeah, but rookie mistake, big bro!

#17 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

And of course, the biggie - why does Sarevok, awesome behemoth that he is, not deal with the PC personally while he had the chance? I mean, short game, yeah, but rookie mistake, big bro!

Overconfidence, I suppose.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

That would be violating one of the prime rules of bad guys in fiction. It is the same reason why the bad guys don't just shoot James Bond in the head, and he always escapes.

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

Well yes, or it'd have been a very short game, as I said.

But this I've not been able to figure out. Here is this absolutely huge mutha, with facial tattoos and glowing eyes, yet somehow he is able to infiltrate Candlekeep and fool the PC into thinking he's some regular Joe called Koveras, which, as we all know, is Sarevok backwards (not very original for a guy with 17 int) just by removing his armour. If Sarevok isn't terribly smart for not eliminating the PC earlier in the game, then the PC is doubly stupid for failing to recognise him.

Likewise, in BG2, if you choose the bridge route into the Asylum (as opposed to getting yourself committed), how is it the PC fails to recognise that the "director" is Irenicus? Yes he's wearing a cowl, but after being tortured by this guy for months, you'd sure as hell recognise his rather distinctive voice.

#20 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

Shush. You're making the plot holes angry. Any more questions and they will devour your soul.

Although, the people of BG are very stupid to allow a man who likes to wear spiky armour of death and cackle a lot, the opportunity to rule their city. Sarevok's not exactly a figure that inspires trust, is he?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage