A 1280x768 version

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:01 AM

Since many LCDTV's and Laptops cannot use the 1280x800 resolution, I've decided to make a 1280x768 version of the UI since it's a resolution that many LCDTV's and Laptops can use.

This is the first version of the UI mod. Some backgrounds are not perfectly centered (they are straight from the 1280x800 UI) but it should look fine.
K'aeloree and Qwinn, could you test the mod and tell me if everything is/looks ok?

PS: I used taplonaplo's code to resize the journal pics on the fly , in order to reduce the size of the mod, so it may take a while to install (about 7 minutes).

[EDIT]
The links have been removed since the new version of the mod now also supports 1280x768

Edited by ghostdog, 09 November 2008 - 06:19 AM.

#2 rtr86

rtr86
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

Thanks ghostdog, no doubt this will help a lot of people who could not use the x800 pack,

Quick question;
I recently installed Planescape + the 3 main mods. I have a 19" monitor, I have tried both 1024 + 1280 res packs and like swapping between the 2 untill I decide what is best for me. I do this by un-installing whatever res mod is installed and then using the other setup file, I install the mod. I was just wondering if the game is likely to become corrupt or unusable by doing this?

Thanks

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks ghostdog, no doubt this will help a lot of people who could not use the x800 pack,

Quick question;
I recently installed Planescape + the 3 main mods. I have a 19" monitor, I have tried both 1024 + 1280 res packs and like swapping between the 2 untill I decide what is best for me. I do this by un-installing whatever res mod is installed and then using the other setup file, I install the mod. I was just wondering if the game is likely to become corrupt or unusable by doing this?

Thanks

You should first uninstall the UI mod you are currently using , then re-install Bigg's Widescreen mod with the new resolution you want to have and finally install the other UI mod. Do this and everything should be fine. As far as I've tested it, savegames are compatible if you install/uninstall my mod but installing/uninstalling Bigg's widescreen mod is said to cause random crashes with older saves. It would be better to test these mods in a new game.

Edited by ghostdog, 13 October 2008 - 10:06 AM.

#4 rtr86

rtr86
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Quick question;

Thanks

You should first uninstall the UI mod you are currently using , then re-install Bigg's Widescreen mod with the new resolution you want to have and finally install the other UI mod. Do this and everything should be fine. As far as I've tested it, savegames are compatible if you install/uninstall my mod but installing/uninstalling Bigg's widescreen mod is said to cause random crashes with older saves. It would be better to test these mods in a new game.

Thanks ghost dog :)
I forgot to say I also reinitialise Biggs WideScreen mod every time I change over. So far (on a new game) everything is great :)

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

:rolleyes:

I have tried both 1024 + 1280 res packs and like swapping between the 2 untill I decide what is best for me.

Then why not have both of them? As you can have both, by copying the game directory to a different place, and then editing the moved games Torment.ini's [Alias]'es so it points to the right direction. And then installing different resolutions&UI mods.
Yes, it takes a few Gigabites more, but it's quick to use, as you just have to swap the savegames.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:46 PM

Seems to work fine here, on a quick check--thank you! :D Anything you want checked in particular?

#7 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:51 AM

Thanks K'aeloree , If you've opened all panels and everything looks ok and you've got no crashes then I guess it's fine. Since the last few days I can't use my 22' widescreen :( and I've been testing the mod with an old 19' monitor that stretches everything and can't show the 1280x768 properly I wanted someone who could see the resolution as it is.

Anyway, the next step would be to edit some of the backgrounds, and try to make a single installation for both mods.

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

I'm still working on TBH and can't do this test right now, but be assured I will do my full test in 1280x768 soon as I can do so. (At least if it doesn't cause too much eye stress from reading small text, will let you know at start if it does for me)

Qwinn

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh...

I -still- may not be able to use this. Sigh.

Here's the thing. I -normally- have my video settings at 1280x720, which works fine. My NVidia selector allows me to choose 1280x768 as an option, but I didn't actually try it before. I just did so. My Sharp LCD monitor apparently won't go there... when I try, it actually goes to 1024x768, and I wind up with icons and stuff being placed off-screen.

:(

I'll try it with the game, but I suspect it's going to do the same thing to me. Sigh.

EDIT: Never mind, it required some manual setting of the input signal on the monitor, but I got 1280x768 working. A bit hard on the eyes atm, but I'll get used to it I'm sure. Yay! NM this post.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 October 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#10 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:02 AM

I'm glad you got the resolution working Qwinn. Just out of curiosity, how big is your monitor and is it a standard PC monitor or an LCDTV?

Edited by ghostdog, 19 October 2008 - 06:03 AM.

#11 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

18.5" Sharp LCDTV. Got it for free as a promotion for signing up with Verizon FIOS :D

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 October 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#12 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

18.5" Sharp LCDTV. Got it for free as a promotion for signing up with Verizon FIOS

heh , not a bad deal :)
Well, in 18.5 inches the text might show a bit small. At least I've made the background of the dialog box darker to make reading easier.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Thanks a lot, man. Yr job is amaizing. You're my personal Jesus Christ :). But, can someone upload this file to somewhere else, please? Me & Rapidshare aren't good friends.

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

And also what about 1024x768 version? Is it possible in the future?

#15 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

I'm glad that people have found my mod useful :) I've upload it on mediafire for those that can't use rapidshare, check the first post.

As for a 1024x768 version , I might make one in the future , we'll see. Anyway, Vanished One has already made one, you can check it out here

Edited by ghostdog, 27 October 2008 - 01:55 AM.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for uploading to mediafire. :)

I've seen Vanished One's version. It's also very neat, but I more prefer yours.
P.S. One more time - thanks for reviving classic.

#17 -Guest - Zed Nocear-

-Guest - Zed Nocear-

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

I use the mod on 24'' LCD and PST in 1280x800 looks unbelived!

Is it possible to make a 1024x600 version for such netbooks as Asus EEE 900 or MSI Wind 100 (or just multiresolution version)?

#18 -Sicatrix-

-Sicatrix-

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

I would like to start by saying that this is a very wonderful thing that you have done.
This gave me the urge to play PST again after all these years and for that I thank you. :)

Now onto a problem that I have encountered with this Mod.

Whenever I try to initiate store dialogue the game would crash(first encountered at Fell's and later the fat Hive Merchant).
Error message tells me this "InfScreenStore.cpp at line number 1630".
I then uninstall this mod(kept the WideScreen Mod) and tried to enter the store interface of Fell's again, and yep it didn't crash on me.

I did a google search for this problem and it seems(more of an assumption really) that I am the only one who has encountered this problem with this Mod.

everything is running fine save the store interface, what could be the problem then?

#19 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I would like to start by saying that this is a very wonderful thing that you have done.
This gave me the urge to play PST again after all these years and for that I thank you. :)

Now onto a problem that I have encountered with this Mod.

Whenever I try to initiate store dialogue the game would crash(first encountered at Fell's and later the fat Hive Merchant).
Error message tells me this "InfScreenStore.cpp at line number 1630".
I then uninstall this mod(kept the WideScreen Mod) and tried to enter the store interface of Fell's again, and yep it didn't crash on me.

I did a google search for this problem and it seems(more of an assumption really) that I am the only one who has encountered this problem with this Mod.

everything is running fine save the store interface, what could be the problem then?

i haven't seen a crashing on the infscreens with editing the ui's yet, interesting. I'll see if i can do anything.
You could try to replace the guistore.chu in the override folder with the one in pst-1280x800-ui/backup.
Also, try delete dfell.dlg from the override folder to see if it's faulty.
Are you on 2 cd version btw?

Edited by taplonaplo, 27 October 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Also, try delete dfell.dlg from the override folder to see if it's faulty.

I would recommend -renaming- it, not deleting, so that you can put it back after you've determined it's not the problem.

Just plain deleting it will remove a few bug fixes from my mods, if they were being used.

Qwinn