Photo

Please report crashes here

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#181 JamesofN

JamesofN
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Ok, I made an account. Sorry for the double post with my guest form.
I've got a Hex editor and I'm trying to apply this fix, but I can't figure it out (I have no knowledge of Hex at all, really). I've opened Torment.exe, searched and found the strings you listed, but I'm a bit confused as to what I'm editing and what I should be editing it to.
The resolution I'm using is 1920x1080, and I've gone and found out what those are in Hex (0x780 and 0x438 respectively) but I'm a little stuck from there. No idea how to get from those to the XX XX XX etc. format.

Would I be correct in doing this:
1920x1080 - Replace 80 02 with 80 07 and replace E0 01 with 38 04
??

EDIT:
Looks like I was, no longer crashing when leaving Mebbeth's Hut.
Thanks for the fix!

Edited by JamesofN, 14 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#182 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Great job scient - never used the widescreen mod just because i suspected there was a unavoidable problem like this, now there is no reason not to.

Edited by i30817, 14 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#183 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ok, I made an account. Sorry for the double post with my guest form.
I've got a Hex editor and I'm trying to apply this fix, but I can't figure it out (I have no knowledge of Hex at all, really). I've opened Torment.exe, searched and found the strings you listed, but I'm a bit confused as to what I'm editing and what I should be editing it to.
The resolution I'm using is 1920x1080, and I've gone and found out what those are in Hex (0x780 and 0x438 respectively) but I'm a little stuck from there. No idea how to get from those to the XX XX XX etc. format.

Would I be correct in doing this:

1920x1080 - Replace 80 02 with 80 07 and replace E0 01 with 38 04
??

EDIT:
Looks like I was, no longer crashing when leaving Mebbeth's Hut.
Thanks for the fix!

That is correct. And glad it's fixed for you! It looks like crash with Mebbeth hut and Gallery are sorted. :)

Great job scient - never used the widescreen mod just because i suspected there was a unavoidable problem like this, now there is no reason not to.

Yah, there is still one problem I've seen linked to WS or UI mod where certain objects don't render. Like the dabus on ground below. But the general game breaking crashes should be sorted. I'm going to browse through and see if I can find any hardcoded references like ones causing crashes to see if might be anything else. One nice thing for WS mod would be to find offsets to center rendering small areas, so they're not off in top left.

Trmnt000.png

Trmnt001_.png

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#184 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Might the Dabus be using percentile coordinates instead of logical coordinates? Bad bug to solve, that.

Edited by i30817, 16 February 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#185 -zugschef-

-zugschef-

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

hey guys,

after some playing time my game starts crashing after autosaving when entering a new area. this bug is inconvenient, but really a minor issue. the real problem is that my game crashes when trying to save inside the siege tower in the lower ward. wheter it's quick saving, that autosave when trying to use the portal, or trying to save via menue, as soon as i klick save the screen goes black and the program crashes.

i hope there is a solution to this. thanks in advance.

i've got these mods, etc. installed:
Planetscape Torment Full Game (2 CDs version) v1.1
Bigg's Widescreen mod 3.05 / 2011
GhostDog's PS:T UI mod v2.1 / 2010
PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack v4.12 /rev 2011
PS:T Unfinished Business v4.11 /rev 2011
Qwinn's PS:T Tweak Pack v4.11 /rev 2011

#186 -LordPixie-

-LordPixie-

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Just one more confirmation: Those hexadecimal changes have cleared up the crashes I was having in the art gallery and Mebbeth's hut.

Nicely done!

#187 -zugschef-

-zugschef-

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

The dialogue with Sarossa in the foundry is still buggy. In some games the option, which leads to the wisdom increase, just won't show up.

#188 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

The dialogue with Sarossa in the foundry is still buggy. In some games the option, which leads to the wisdom increase, just won't show up.

I'll investage. While this isn't the proper forum for posting an issue like this, and I'm not Qwinn or scient, I can still help you with fixing the issue. What version of the game do you have, and what mods do you have?
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#189 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Just one more confirmation: Those hexadecimal changes have cleared up the crashes I was having in the art gallery and Mebbeth's hut.

Nicely done!

:)

@zugschef / William Imm : yah anything you could find out would be useful. Qwinn said he was going to work on the game sometime this month so any more information you can give would prob be useful. The dialog stuff isn't my area of expertise so I'll leave Qwinn to handle any further details.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#190 -zeke-

-zeke-

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

I've gotten the fix to work as well. Made the hex edits as indicated and the game no longer crashes on exiting or entering Mebbeth's hut or the open tomb next to the mortuary gate. I tried entering and exiting 10-15 times each.

#191 moetaki

moetaki
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

I'm so happy I found this thread, I have been having these exact same crashes. I'm running what I think is the 4 CD version (I downloaded the D&D Anthology from GamersGate, but I have seen "please insert disc 3" during some loading screens) on Win 7 64bit at 2560x1440 resolution, which is the native resolution on my monitor. As far as mods go, I have Bigg's Widescreen mod, Ghostdog's UI, and the WeiDu fixpack installed. I started a new game after installing all the mods.

The first time I went to Mebbeth's house, the game let me leave without crashing. I returned later to get mage training and I absolutely could not leave without the game crashing; I had to reload an earlier save to continue playing. The same happened to me later trying to leave the Aoskar temple. Now I am in the Art and Curio Gallery and the game is crashing whenever I enter the red area in the image from panaceator's earlier post: http://www.shsforums...post__p__503758.

Can anyone please help me apply the hex patch scient outlined in this post http://www.shsforums...post__p__534474 for my resolution? I would greatly appreciate it, I'm absolutely loving this game and it's torture to not be able to play any further. Thanks guys!

PS: I have to use Windows Compatibility Administrator to prevent the game from crashing whenever spells are cast. I run in XP SP2 compatibility mode and force directdraw emulation.

#192 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'm so happy I found this thread, I have been having these exact same crashes. I'm running what I think is the 4 CD version (I downloaded the D&D Anthology from GamersGate, but I have seen "please insert disc 3" during some loading screens) on Win 7 64bit at 2560x1440 resolution, which is the native resolution on my monitor. As far as mods go, I have Bigg's Widescreen mod, Ghostdog's UI, and the WeiDu fixpack installed. I started a new game after installing all the mods.

The first time I went to Mebbeth's house, the game let me leave without crashing. I returned later to get mage training and I absolutely could not leave without the game crashing; I had to reload an earlier save to continue playing. The same happened to me later trying to leave the Aoskar temple. Now I am in the Art and Curio Gallery and the game is crashing whenever I enter the red area in the image from panaceator's earlier post: http://www.shsforums...post__p__503758.

Can anyone please help me apply the hex patch scient outlined in this post http://www.shsforums...post__p__534474 for my resolution? I would greatly appreciate it, I'm absolutely loving this game and it's torture to not be able to play any further. Thanks guys!

Upload your exe to mediafire or hotfile and I'll patch it. So your game res is 2560x1440?

PS: I have to use Windows Compatibility Administrator to prevent the game from crashing whenever spells are cast. I run in XP SP2 compatibility mode and force directdraw emulation.

The DDraw fix by aqrit solves this.

http://www.shsforums...ownsstuttering/

Edited by scient, 07 March 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#193 moetaki

moetaki
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thank you so much scient, I sent you the link in a message. Yes, 2560x1440 is the correct game resolution I'm running. Does the DDraw fix break saves or can I continue with my current save game if I install it?

#194 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

DDraw shouldn't break saves. And I sent you PM with patched exe.

#195 moetaki

moetaki
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

The patched exe works perfectly. I tried both the Art Gallery and Aoskar's temple and both are completely crash-free. You are the man scient, thank you!!! :clap:

#196 -NoobyPatcher-

-NoobyPatcher-

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

Hello. Yesterday I've bought gog version of Planescape. It worked fine, but when I tried patching it with all those mods, it works ... weird. Before patching the game ran instantly. Now I have to wait up to several minutes before I get past black screen. After that everything - seems - to work properly. Only similar thing occurs whenever I try to alt+tab or exit the game (on exit it just stops responding). First I tried installing just the 3 most recommended mods, then I reinstalled the game and tried just the widescreen and ghostdogs pst ui ones (I didn't use them before reinstalling). Now the exact same thing happens.

I'm running on Windows 7 Pro x64.
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT.

As for how I patched: installed gog's Planescape, downloaded mods, extracted to game directory, ran mod installers, did what was asked on screen.

#197 -Macstarvo-

-Macstarvo-

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Putting the missing AR501.BIF in the cache folder fixed my CTD at exiting the seige tower. Haven't had an any need for the AR511 file yet at the Foundry. Thanks everyone, I was in a real depressive state last night until I found this forum.

#198 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hello. Yesterday I've bought gog version of Planescape. It worked fine, but when I tried patching it with all those mods, it works ... weird. Before patching the game ran instantly. Now I have to wait up to several minutes before I get past black screen. After that everything - seems - to work properly. Only similar thing occurs whenever I try to alt+tab or exit the game (on exit it just stops responding). First I tried installing just the 3 most recommended mods, then I reinstalled the game and tried just the widescreen and ghostdogs pst ui ones (I didn't use them before reinstalling). Now the exact same thing happens.

I'm running on Windows 7 Pro x64.
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT.

As for how I patched: installed gog's Planescape, downloaded mods, extracted to game directory, ran mod installers, did what was asked on screen.

If you haven't done so arleady, please install aqurit's DDraw fix. Nvidia cards in particular seem to be rather problematic with Infinity Engine games.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#199 -Tancredi-

-Tancredi-

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

For anyone who is interested in testing this, here is patch data. I would really appreciate feedback of anyone using WS mod that is having game crashing a lot. Let me know if you need assistance applying it (you'll need hex editor and basic understanding of hex).

Hi, I am experiencing this crash too. I cannot get out of Mebbeth house, independently of how many times I try.
Could you please provide a step-by-step walkthrough on how to apply the patch? My resolution is 1280 x 800.
Also, what would be a user-friendly hex editor to use?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Tancredi

#200 -James F-

-James F-

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm having horrid crashes when I try to enter the tower in the Foundry to do the prevent suicide quest. I noticed there was talk of a missing file but I'm not sure how to appropriately add it.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!